PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports and TBS renew with MLB

MARTINMVP
09-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Less games on TBS Sunday baseball, more Fox games, and some games going to the Speed Channel, which is expected to be rebranded as a Fox Sports Network (how will they do that when they already have FSN affiliates, recently rebranded with the same Fox Sports logo used on the Fox mothership network?)

Somewhere, Joe Buck in his monotone voice is saying "Yay."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sports/baseball/fox-closes-in-on-new-baseball-deal.html

RKMeibalane
09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Wonderful. Why Fox, a network that has done a horrible job covering baseball, continues to have their television contract renewed while NBC remains on the outside looking in is something I don't understand.

ComiskeyBrewer
09-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I like TBS coverage for the most part. Brian Anderson did a very good job last post season.

KRS1
09-19-2012, 11:20 PM
Great, more awful baseball coverage.

http://pictures.pichaus.com/d6078223fc4b7bc73ba408373a94aaaa0417e50e?AWSAccess KeyId=0K4RZZKHSB5N2XYJWF02&Expires=1348120000&Signature=T9zyRISf6%2F2e4lI8TqRuMh4Lde8%3D

Viva Medias B's
09-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Whoever is running NBC Sports needs to be replaced. How they allowed this to happen is beyond me. NBC Sports Network ought to really give the ESPN Evil Empire a run for its money with possibly no NHL hockey and hunting shows.

thomas35forever
09-20-2012, 02:46 AM
Yippee. More Joe Buck.

MUsoxfan
09-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Joe Buck is fine. He's the classic announcer. Sure he has his faults, but there could be more Berman's in the booth and nobody wants that.

Let's face it...It's really tough to be a PBP guy. As far as they go, Buck is among the best

cub killer
09-20-2012, 03:14 AM
I can't understand the terms of the contract unless Scooter explains them to me.

roylestillman
09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
If I'm doing the math right, it looks like each team is picking up an additional $26 million from these deals. Scott Boras must be out shopping for private jets.

As far as Buck is concerned, as a voice he's not bad, but his past comments about baseball being boring and his penchant for beating a story line into the ground (bad weather, length of a game, the AJ dropped third strike) drive me nuts.

SephClone89
09-20-2012, 07:59 AM
So are we losing a nationally-televised Sunday afternoon game, or is FOX going to carry that on Speed?

Not that it really matters as I rarely watch that TBS game, but anything that appears to be less baseball on television makes me set.

And yeah, a joke that NBC apparently wasn't even a major player in these negotiations. Isn't this what they've been gearing up for since the rebranding of Versus and etc?

Viva Medias B's
09-20-2012, 08:40 AM
So are we losing a nationally-televised Sunday afternoon game, or is FOX going to carry that on Speed?

Not that it really matters as I rarely watch that TBS game, but anything that appears to be less baseball on television makes me set.

And yeah, a joke that NBC apparently wasn't even a major player in these negotiations. Isn't this what they've been gearing up for since the rebranding of Versus and etc?

Supposedly, MLB wanted more money than NBCU was willing to pay. I thought Comcast was going to go all out. They've spent the money to upgrade other things at NBCU.

MARTINMVP
09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Supposedly, MLB wanted more money than NBCU was willing to pay. I thought Comcast was going to go all out. They've spent the money to upgrade other things at NBCU.

Exactly! Remember about a year ago when the Olympics were up for renewal (I forget when NBC's then existing deal expired), and for a while, it seemed NBCU was on the verge of losing coverage to ABC/ESPN or FOX? That was because NBCU was also reluctant to pay the high price necessary to carry the Olympics.

So far, the NBC Sports Network has been a half-assed attempt, at best. They really should have waited to relaunch Versus until they had more viable programming to counter ESPN.

Fox Sports Net made a huge push by acquiring all the Sports Channel stations in 1996-98, then half assed it with cheap graphics, and low-budget shows and low budget college football and basketball that surrounded the regional games.

Now, we have CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports Network and a possible Fox Sports Network, in addition to all the various regional sports networks? Too many cooks spoil the broth.

asindc
09-20-2012, 11:31 AM
Tim McCarver: "Now what this means is that some baseball games will be broadcast on Fox."

WhiteSox5187
09-20-2012, 01:45 PM
This is bad news, I hate the way Fox broadcasts baseball.

Lamp81
09-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Less games on TBS Sunday baseball, more Fox games, and some games going to the Speed Channel, which is expected to be rebranded as a Fox Sports Network (how will they do that when they already have FSN affiliates, recently rebranded with the same Fox Sports logo used on the Fox mothership network?)

Somewhere, Joe Buck in his monotone voice is saying "Yay."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/sports/baseball/fox-closes-in-on-new-baseball-deal.html

You can have Fox Sports Net as a national network and then have Fox Sports-City Name (like the old Fox Sports-Chicago).

I thought Comcast Sports Nets were going to be rebranded as NBC Sports-City name (NBC Sports-Chicago would be ours). I thought this was discussed either at the Comcast/NBC merger or the Versus/NBC Sports transition.

downstairs
09-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Wait, where did you hear this about SPEED changing to Fox Sports Network?

I hope they keep the better NASCAR programming. NASCAR Performance is one of my favorite shows. Anyone that digs racing should tune in to that show every week. Very smart stuff.

MARTINMVP
09-20-2012, 03:33 PM
You can have Fox Sports Net as a national network and then have Fox Sports-City Name (like the old Fox Sports-Chicago).

I thought Comcast Sports Nets were going to be rebranded as NBC Sports-City name (NBC Sports-Chicago would be ours). I thought this was discussed either at the Comcast/NBC merger or the Versus/NBC Sports transition.

I don't quite remember the timeline, but I think the discussion of Comcast SportsNet being rebranded as, for example, NBC Sports Chicago was rumored or speculated while Dick Ebersol was in charge of NBC Sports. After he left, those rumors quickly died down, if memory serves correct.

I think having both a Fox Sports Network, and a cluster of separate Fox Sports regional channels (Fox Sports North, Fox Sports Detroit, etc.) is kind of confusing. I'm not sure I like that branding, which is why I suspect Comcast SportsNet has not changed over to NBC Sports Chicago (we have NBC Sports Network).

AZChiSoxFan
09-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Joe Buck is fine. He's the classic announcer. Sure he has his faults, but there could be more Berman's in the booth and nobody wants that.

Let's face it...It's really tough to be a PBP guy. As far as they go, Buck is among the best

I don't think it's asking too much for the guy to at least act like he's remotely interested in the game he's "broadcasting."

SI1020
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd rather listen to paint dry than Joe Buck call a baseball game. When teamed up with McCarver I feel like it's a violation of the 8th amendment.

vinny
09-21-2012, 05:22 AM
Tim McCarver: "Now what this means is that some baseball games will be broadcast on Fox."
:rolling:

tebman
09-21-2012, 09:50 AM

I don't think it's asking too much for the guy to at least act like he's remotely interested in the game he's "broadcasting."

I agree. Buck might have a deep interest in the game and be a fine fellow, but his delivery suggests that sometimes he'd rather be somewhere else. It's a chicken-or-egg thing: did the Fox network hire him because of his presentation style or did he tailor his style at the direction of the producers at Fox?

Ever since Rupert Murdoch assembled it in the mid-1980s, the Fox network has strained to sell itself as the cool and edgy corner of the TV world. No gimmick, no flash is too over the top for them. Glowing hockey pucks! In-dugout interviews! Loud audio! Bright colors! Swooping graphics everywhere! To be cool one must act cool, and maybe they think that Buck's laconic style relates better to the hipster crowd the ad agencies want to reach.

All I know is that I get tired and mildly annoyed watching a ball game on a Fox affiliate. All the wow wears me out and the relentless yammering and sideshows are irksome. But that's of no matter to anyone there. The Las Vegas strip is too bright, too loud, and too superficial, but it brings in a whole lot of money, the same way the Fox baseball broadcasts do for MLB. The reason Fox stations are carrying MLB games has nothing to do with the quality of their broadcasts and everything to do with the size of the check they handed to Bud Selig's office.

SephClone89
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Ever since Rupert Murdoch assembled it in the mid-1980s, the Fox network has strained to sell itself as the cool and edgy corner of the TV world. No gimmick, no flash is too over the top for them. Glowing hockey pucks! In-dugout interviews! Loud audio! Bright colors! Swooping graphics everywhere! To be cool one must act cool, and maybe they think that Buck's laconic style relates better to the hipster crowd the ad agencies want to reach.

I think FOX's sports coverage is anti-hipster, actually.

doublem23
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM

I don't even know what makes a TV broadcast of a baseball game "pro-hipster" or "anti-hipster" (which is, by the way, the most ludicrous categorizational system ever), but I'm going to have to agree; someone who thinks loud noises, glowing pucks, and flashy graphics is supposed to draw in the hipster crowd (which is also not what any decent ad agency wants to target, either, BTW) is probably someone who has no idea what a hipster actually is.

DSpivack
09-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't even know what makes a TV broadcast of a baseball game "pro-hipster" or "anti-hipster" (which is, by the way, the most ludicrous categorizational system ever), but I'm going to have to agree; someone who thinks loud noises, glowing pucks, and flashy graphics is supposed to draw in the hipster crowd (which is also not what any decent ad agency wants to target, either, BTW) is probably someone who has no idea what a hipster actually is.

Have Pitchfork-approved bands and BP analysis, and the announcers would be decided on by SABR might be a start. :tongue:

doublem23
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Have Pitchfork-approved bands and BP analysis, and the announcers would be decided on by SABR might be a start. :tongue:

Maybe give Joe Buck some skinny jeans and Tim McCarver some ironic T-shirts, too.

DSpivack
09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe give Joe Buck some skinny jeans and Tim McCarver some ironic T-shirts, too.

"Joe, you know what's awesome? Portland. Portland is a city in Oregon."

thomas35forever
09-21-2012, 04:05 PM
And also in Maine!:bandance:

RKMeibalane
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM

"Greg Maddux doesn't allow many base-runners, and he doesn't walk hitters, either."

tebman
09-21-2012, 06:11 PM

Poor choice of words on my part. The irony I intended wasn't conveyed.

The point for me is that for my taste Fox baseball broadcasts try too hard to add flash and sizzle where none is required. I'm sorry too that NBC isn't picking it up.

harwar
09-21-2012, 07:53 PM
I really hate everything about fox sports and news ..

RadioheadRocks
09-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Boo hiss

Foulke You
09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree. Buck might have a deep interest in the game and be a fine fellow, but his delivery suggests that sometimes he'd rather be somewhere else.
Buck sounds like he'd rather be somewhere else because he really WOULD rather be somewhere else. He has been quoted in an interview where he said he doesn't like baseball anymore and finds the game boring. However, this does not stop FOX from assigning this guy to cover the most important baseball games of the season.

I'm very disappointed to find out that Fox got the renewal. It's not just Buck and McCarver that I dislike. The other Saturday afternoon crews are also pretty bad. Josh Lewin, Thom Breneman, Mark Grace (before he hit the bottle), Eric Karros (just a brutal color guy), etc. I can sometimes tolerate Kenny Albert but even he can be bad at times. At least they are using the MLB Network guys for studio analysis these days. This is one improvement they made.