PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-18 Floyd solves the KC puzzle; SOX 3 KC 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
09-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Excellent win to keep the three-game lead!

SoxFan49
09-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I knew Beckham would have a nice game :cool:

great performance by Floyd though.

Now let's get ready for Cy Chen tomorrow.

BigHurt3515
We beat the Royals! We beat the Royals! We beat the Royals!!
Wooohoooo We beat the damn Royals!

:bandance::bandance:

:dtroll:

:)

doublem23
Struggles with RISP return, but when your starter throws 6 goose eggs up there, can't complain.

JasonFrasor54
09-18-2012, 09:25 PM
YES, a good start! Nice pitching by Floyd! :bandance:

ChiSoxGal85
09-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Hooray for solo home runs! And nice job by Gavin. He seems healthy.

Could it all be coming together at the right time? I hope...

Zakath
Beckham to tie it up, Rios for the win.

Good to see Gavin get the W after a pretty solid 7 innings. With no off-days left, we need our starters to at minimum get into the 6th.

Now to beat Cy.

Frater Perdurabo
Some of WSI's favorite whipping boys are picking the right time of year to play well: Floyd, Thornton and Beckham really have been solid lately.

A. Cavatica
The monkey's off our back. We're going to the playoffs!

OmahaSoxFan
09-18-2012, 09:27 PM
A White Sox winner vs the vaunted KC Royals!?! Yes, keep it going tomorrow guys, DSNB!

Nice game from Floyd and nice to see Beckham bringing out his power tonight, he has been looking much better at the plate the last couple of weeks.

voodoochile
09-18-2012, 09:28 PM
3 big hits, 7 innings of 78 pitch ball, solid defense and the boys finally beat the Royals. 2 more just like it please. Okay, maybe a few more runs to take the stress of my heart. If the Sox win the rest doesn't matter.

:soxwin:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

JB98
09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Sometimes three runs has to be enough. The offense wasn't great by any means, but it was enough.

I think the ability to win close games is something that can help the Sox down the stretch. Our team has played a lot of these kinds of games, and while it's hard on my stomach, our players seem comfortable in these situations. The Tigers, in contrast, seem to suck in the close games. That's one reason the Sox have the upper hand in the division with 15 to play.

Detroit's win tonight means little. Another day off the schedule with nothing changed.

Floyd pitched great after a bad first inning. Nice job by him.

16th&State
Floyd was outstanding after settling in. And the bullpen was excellent once again. Was that 14 in a row retired by Sox pitching?!

5 wins in a row takes us to 15 games over .500 with 15 to play with a 3 game lead over the Tigers. The Division title is within reach. Don't Stop Now Boys!

soxfan1965
Excellent win to keep the three-game lead! The Bad Boys beat up on the hot A's who were supposed to stop them, so the Sox have to do it without much help against some upcoming tough teams. Looking forward to Sox staying tough and not fading like 1967. Great win, one at a time!

16th&State
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
We beat the Royals! We beat the Royals! We beat the Royals!!
Wooohoooo We beat the damn Royals!

:bandance::bandance:

:dtroll:

Pretty much how I feel too, spot on!!:D:

guillensdisciple
09-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Go for the win in the series. The tigers got dealt a major blow with the possible season loss of their best starter. Maybe it is just from being tired, but I don't know it that would require an MRI. We'll see. Either way, just win the series because the Athletics will take 1 from the Tigers and we can run the magic number down to 11. A sweep would be ideal, but baby steps against these guys- we're still not hitting them the way we should. I am very happy with the way our bullpen has performed lately.

Also, for all the ragging I do on Gavin Floyd, what an outing he had today. Sale tomorrow against their best pitcher so it should be a good match up. Hopefully, we notch another winner and take down that magic number to 12.

The Sox can go 8-7 and the Tigers will have to go 11-4 to tie us. I think we can go 3 games over at 9-6 which would force the Tigers to go 9 over to tie.

Come on Sox, just continue to play winning baseball.

LITTLE NELL
09-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Another game off the schedule and still 3 up. Nice job by Floyd after a shaky start.
A sweep would be nice in KC after what they have done to us the last couple of years.

guillensdisciple
09-18-2012, 09:36 PM
The best news about today is that the Sox FINALLY had a game where they controlled their own destiny and none of us had to pray for the other team to beat the Tigers for us. That has been the last two weeks for us, and it has been hell.

Many of us were worried, but that 2 and a half week span was our most difficult. We played the Orioles,Royals, Tigers in that stretch and the only rest we got was from playing the Twins.

Now that the stretch is over we are beginning to show why we are a good ball club. Flawed, yes, but good enough to get there. Lets hope we do. Get there on a roll and who knows how it ends up.

More importantly, we were supposed to be rebuilding and we are not going to have a losing season. Great job White Sox, you guys have done a phenomenal job this year.

CHISOXFAN13
09-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Bullpen has been outstanding lately and tonight was no different. Great to see Floyd settle down after a shaky start, too.

Soxman219
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Just keep winning Sox, the division is your hands now.

Tragg
09-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Nice win. Nice, efficient effort by Floyd.

Why is De Aza playing left and Wise center? De Aza is a much better defender. And I think someone mentions says he prefers left - someone needs to let him know that his long term salary outlook is greatly enhanced in center.

BigKlu59
09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
:D: :moonwalk:.... Now lets put some space between us and the Bengals.

BK59

ElevenUp
09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Great job by Gavin after a rough first inning. Just enough to win. Doesn't matter if the Tigers win by 20, Sox stay ahead winning by 1!

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Without a question, Alex Rios is our team MVP this season!

Lip Man 1
09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Like the song said..."keep the ball rollin..." Offense pulled its disappearing act again against a garbage Royals team but at least they did enough this time to win it.

Magic Number #13, one win for a winning season.

Lip

Chez
09-18-2012, 10:10 PM
This is one of the few times when Gavin starts a 7:00 pm game and I was able to catch most of the 9:00 news. :D: Great job, Gavin.

WisSoxFan
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
More seemingly good news is the Rays are losing again. By the time we see them they may be mathematically out of the race. I believe they are now 5 out pending the outcome of the tonight's games.

palehozenychicty
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
Keep it up. A good win.

PalehosePlanet
09-18-2012, 10:22 PM

Why is De Aza playing left and Wise center? De Aza is a much better defender. And I think someone mentions says he prefers left - someone needs to let him know that his long term salary outlook is greatly enhanced in center.

This is hilarious, Wise is a much better CF'er. De Aza plays everyone near the warning track because he lacks confidence and lets balls fall in front of him all day long. De Wayne plays shallow and takes hits away. De Aza probably suddenly prefers LF because he knows Wise is a much better CF'er. I know there is anti-Wise bias on this board but for ****'s sake give credit when it's due. De Aza, on his best day, is an average CF'er.

Also, an awesome outing for Gavin. All of the resident WSI psychologist can call him a mental GIANT tonight.

5 in a row, and 4 of those on the road. Keep the confidence up and keep it going guys!

PalehosePlanet
09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Without a question, Alex Rios is our team MVP this season!

Absolutely. This past winter we were all hoping that someone would take his contract off our hands. Now? We have the best RF'er in the AL for only 12 million a year.

BTW: He's the only player in MLB that has 20+ HR's, 20+ SB's and 30+ doubles.

Zakath
09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
More seemingly good news is the Rays are losing again. By the time we see them they may be mathematically out of the race. I believe they are now 5 out pending the outcome of the tonight's games.

Yankees were rained out, so the Rays are 6 back. Orioles were losing. Rays magic number to get eliminated is 10.

johnnyg83
09-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Hochevar should just get traded to whatever team the Sox are playing every five days.

Nicely done, gentlemen.

johnnyg83
09-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Gordon .325 in September

tstrike2000
09-18-2012, 10:50 PM
After things settled down, a very nice win and a great job by the pitching staff. Keeping resident garbage, and new Sox killer, Alcides Escobar off base does wonders.

Crooked Number
09-18-2012, 11:01 PM
The Sox offense was homer happy tonight, and it worked. Great job by 34, if anyone deserves a good performance its him. It's been a very difficult season for him and I am sure he is ecstatic that he was able to settle down after the rough first. He was dominant after that.

Keep the pressure on the 2nd place team, try to take this series tomorrow. Very exciting times for our club and us fans.

DSpivack
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Absolutely. This past winter we were all hoping that someone would take his contract off our hands. Now? We have the best RF'er in the AL for only 12 million a year.

BTW: He's the only player in MLB that has 20+ HR's, 20+ SB's and 30+ doubles.

Jimmy Rollins has 33 2Bs, 21 HRs and 30 SBs.
Carlos Gonzalez has 31 2Bs, 22 HRs and 20 SBs.
Ryan Braun has 30 2Bs, 40 HRs and 27 SBs.

Rios is the only one in the AL.

johnnyg83
09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
The monkey's off our back. We're going to the playoffs!

That's baloney. A lot of work to be done.

cards press box
09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
Nice all around game!

:winner

DeadMoney
09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Gordon .325 in September

Gordon "Crede" Beckham. :bandance:

Let's keep it going tonight!

harwar
09-19-2012, 09:32 AM
each game seems to get more exciting and stressful .. i wish that i could still drink ..

MISoxfan
09-19-2012, 09:37 AM
This is hilarious, Wise is a much better CF'er. De Aza plays everyone near the warning track because he lacks confidence and lets balls fall in front of him all day long. De Wayne plays shallow and takes hits away. De Aza probably suddenly prefers LF because he knows Wise is a much better CF'er. I know there is anti-Wise bias on this board but for ****'s sake give credit when it's due. De Aza, on his best day, is an average CF'er.

Also, an awesome outing for Gavin. All of the resident WSI psychologist can call him a mental GIANT tonight.

5 in a row, and 4 of those on the road. Keep the confidence up and keep it going guys!

That shallow play cost us hit after hit in that series in Detroit.

doublem23
09-19-2012, 09:43 AM

Yeah, that selfish jerk, putting his team ahead of his own monetary gains down the line.

BTW, De Aza is not eligible to hit the FA market for another 3 seasons. Plenty of time to get more aquainted in CF.

This is such a non-issue. It'd be one thing if it was another case of Robin overmanaging, which he has done a bit of this month, but De Aza is in LF due to his own personal preference. Luckily we have a back-up OF who can both hit and play CF pretty competently right now.

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Gordon "Crede" Beckham. :bandance:

Let's keep it going tonight!

Hope his back is better than Crede's.Joe Crede had back issues for many seasons with the Sox,including the '05 season.

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2012, 09:51 AM
That's baloney. A lot of work to be done.

Yogi Berra said it:he was right.

"It ain't over till it's over."

There is a lot of work to be done.If the Sox let up on the accelerator pedal,the Tiggers will more than happily snatch the lead away
from them,earning a playoff spot.I want to see Alex Rios play baseball after October 3rd,not golf.

1 positive: the Sox play 7 of their last 10 at home.The Tiggers,on the other hand,play 7 of their last 10 on the road,where they are HORRIBLE.

DeadMoney
09-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Hope his back is better than Crede's.Joe Crede had back issues for many seasons with the Sox,including the '05 season.

I'm just drawing the comparison to how maddening both had been over the early portion of their careers and then the timing at which both started to perform. September in pennant races is as good of a time as any to start hitting (as both had both always been terrific defenders).

For comparison's sake:
Crede in September of '05: 6 HRs, 14 RBIs, .371/.409/.726
Beckham in September of '12: 4 HRs, 10 RBIs, .318/.412/.659

DonnieDarko
09-19-2012, 10:24 AM
And this little torrent that Beckham is on all started when he just started to crouch down more in his stance. Funny how the small things do wonders.

I would still like to see him cover a fastball more consistently, but I'm very happy with what he's done so far this month.

TomBradley72
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
My $0.02:

Great to see 7 innings of solid work from Gavin- he can go on nice streaks for 4-8 week stretches- would be great if he's starting one of those right now.
Very interesting adjustment from Robin on handling Reed- using Thornton to handle LH match up then bringing him in mid-inning- seems to be working- but only 2 games so we'll see.
Couldn't be prouder of Alex Rios and what he's accomplishing- really emerging as the 2012 MVP
5 game winning streak late in September in a tight pennant race- what a blast-

hawkjt
09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Another big win.
Gavin was lites out after that shaky first inning. Billy Butler craps gold nuggets. Gavin had to be hurting for most of July,but now finally looks healthy again,and a healthy Gavin,in one of his grooves,can go on a month long run of 1.3 ERA type of chucking....please let this be one of those runs...he has 3 starts left vs the Angels,Rays,and the Indians in the last game of the year....need the good Gavin to show up again.

Really like how Thornton is throwing right now.
If Crain can extend his last outing going forward,he might be back on the beam also. The bullpen might just be coming together at the perfect time,as well as the rotation(Sale and Peavy tough, with good outings from Floyd,Liriano and Quintana in the last two weeks.)

Now, offensively, they still did not have enough timely hitting,but a win is a win...and just win. Everyone is pretty much going ok at the plate right now...which is a good sign.

Scherzer's shoulder could be a big hit on the Tigers,as he has 3 starts left. Hope he takes the season off.

Miggy is insanely hot right now,so this is going to be tight all the way.
Sox must keep winning....very simple.

SoxSpeed22
09-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Huge way to start this series. I'll admit I was pretty nervous around the 7th and 8th, but Floyd and Thorny got it done.

JB98
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Yogi Berra said it:he was right.

"It ain't over till it's over."

There is a lot of work to be done.If the Sox let up on the accelerator pedal,the Tiggers will more than happily snatch the lead away
from them,earning a playoff spot.I want to see Alex Rios play baseball after October 3rd,not golf.

1 positive: the Sox play 7 of their last 10 at home.The Tiggers,on the other hand,play 7 of their last 10 on the road,where they are HORRIBLE.

No question, there's a lot of work to be done and maintaining the division lead for the rest of the road trip is going to be a challenge. The Sox play the Angels, who are 19-9 in their last 28 games, this weekend. Meanwhile, the Tigers are home to play the last-place Twins. Those three days, the schedule heavily favors Detroit. If the Sox can hold their ground the rest of this week, it will be huge. As you mentioned, seven of the last 10 at home after this trip.

SoxFan1979
09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
IT'S ALL GOOOD!!! :bandance::bandance:

Lip Man 1
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
JB:

Going into tonight, Detroit has two games remaining against teams over .500. The Sox have seven.

It is absolutely crucial in my opinion that the Sox take care of business in the eight games they have left against teams below .500.

If they can win say six of the remaining eight, that makes it even more difficult on the Tigers because they are quickly running out of time.

The Sox have to take care of business against the teams they are much better than.

They do that and get a game or two or three against the Angels and Tampa and they'll win it. Play badly against bad teams in the final two weeks and they again open the door for Detroit.

Lip

doublem23
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
The Tigers' schedule kind of plays into the Sox's hands, though, as Detroit currently has the best record in the AL vs. teams at or above .500 while they have the 3rd worst record in the league vs. sub-.500 teams.

http://images.wikia.com/twilightsaga/images/b/b2/The_more_you_know.gif

WisSoxFan
09-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Not to mention Tampa Bay is absolutely tanking it right now. Their E# is down to 9. I don't think it's a stretch to think they could be eliminated by the time they come to Chicago. As it is they're in it by math only.