PDA

View Full Version : So who's our CF down the stretch: Wise or De Aza?

SoxThunder
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
De Aza has been a catalyst for us all year, but he hasn't been himself after his trip to the DL (as evidenced by his 4K's two games ago). Wise has been a pretty stellar replacement since he arrived (minus today's base running gaffe). Since they're very similar lefty/speedy outfielders, who do you think Robin will play down the stretch?

Noneck
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
It bothered me when De Aza said he would rather play left than center. You dont give up a position you have played all year at this part of the season.

SoxThunder
09-17-2012, 09:36 PM
September stats comparison:

Wise:
AVG .317 (14 for 44), 6 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 3 BB

De Aza:
AVG .190 (8 for 42), 3 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 4 BB

Robin has to go with Wise and ride his hot streak. Maybe De Aza will only play LF against tough righty pitchers or be a late inning defensive replacement for the rest of the year.

Whitesox029
09-17-2012, 09:47 PM
The Hot Hand. And the Hot Hand is Wise. Meanwhile, De Aza gives the option of giving Wise, Dunn, Konerko, or Viciedo a day off.

FielderJones
09-17-2012, 10:04 PM
D.Wise, just to irk all the WSIers who say he sucks.

kittle42
09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
D.Wise, just to irk all the WSIers who say he sucks.

Well, he does suck, but he's not so sucky right now.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2012, 10:20 PM
De Aza, he helped put you in this position in the first place.

Lip

russ99
09-18-2012, 12:04 AM
Go with the best player now. De Aza has been scuffling, so it may be good to give him a few days to recover a bit more.

But at some point De Aza needs to get some time batting lead off before we hit the playoffs, if everything goes to plan.

chicagowhitesox1
09-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Yeah I think you gotta give DeAza the edge here. I'd rather see him in there for the playoffs if the Sox make it. He's in a slump but by giving him some playing time could help his confidence.

Dibbs
09-18-2012, 08:13 AM
De Aza. I feel like I'm in the Twighlight Zone with people actually wanting Wise to play in a playoff run. This is Dewayne Wise, and he is terrible. I don't care about a little hot streak mixed in with some incredibly boneheaded plays.

asindc
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
De Aza. I feel like I'm in the Twighlight Zone with people actually wanting Wise to play in a playoff run. This is Dewayne Wise, and he is terrible. I don't care about a little hot streak mixed in with some incredibly boneheaded plays.

Well, the last time Wise played in a playoff run for us, it worked out well. So far, it is working out well this season as well. Wise is mediocre, not terrible. De Aza is playing terrible at the moment. Wise is playing well at the moment. The OP's question isn't which player you prefer as our CF in the long term, it is about the short term. In this short term so far, Wise has helped us win more games than De Aza has. What does that mean for the playoffs and beyond? Well, for me it means that I will be appreciative of Wise's contributions and looking forward to De Aza as our CF going forward. Having Wise play now is not mutually exclusive with wanting De Aza to be our CF in the long term. Unless of course you dislike Wise so much that you can't stand him even when he plays well for us.

Tragg
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Well, the last time Wise played in a playoff run for us, it worked out well.

The result was we made the playoffs. The details were ugly. We closed at 6-9 (want to chance that this time?) and wise hit c. .150 over that period.

Both sides to this argument have merit. Wise, however, has never shown any sustained success. So I would just suggest that we play them both a lot, and when Wise gets cold, he goes to the bench.

doublem23
09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Probably a platoon between the two is best. Dewayne's been riding a hot streak for us since he came back, and really, it's not unprecedented to think that maybe he's having a career year at age 34. I love the spark De Aza brings the team, but I feel he's been wearing down over the course of season (his first full season in the Majors). Injuries were what derailed his career earlier and if he can't provide the same spark he did earlier in the year every day, then may as well play the hot hand as long as possible.

TomBradley72
09-18-2012, 09:25 AM
Stay with the hot hand- Wise. Posters saying Wise sucks are ignoring his actual production on the field. Something is going on with De Aza- hitting <.200 for the past month, and he's now "more comfortable" in LF? He looked completely lost in Minnesota.

Wise just went 3/5 in the most important game of the season.

He also has a history of performing well under pressure (2008 pennant race, 2008 ALDS, perfect game catch, 2012 pennant race)

Between the large outfield in KC and the brief trip to LAA- mix De Aza in at LF to get a little more defense and speed in the line up here and there- and if Rios/Viciedo, etc, need a night off.

If/when Wise cools off- transition back to De Aza as the starter, September/October baseball is filled with "no name" heroes- it's not about who is the better player over the long haul (De Aza)- it's about the player who is the better player at that point in time- and right now Wise gives us a better chance to win.

WhiteSox56
09-18-2012, 09:31 AM

Wise has had more than just a little hot streak. I know I didn't think his play could keep up, but it has so far. I'll vote Wise for now, play him until he starts to suck.

shingo10
09-18-2012, 09:33 AM
This reminds me of the El Duque/Brandon McCarthy debate of 2005. McCarthy was phenomenal in September while El Duque was just awful. But when it counted most El Duque stepped up.

I feel the same here. Wise hopefully gets us into the postseason but then I'd like to see De Aza. Robin can find ways to get Wise into the games.

asindc
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
The result was we made the playoffs. The details were ugly. We closed at 6-9 (want to chance that this time?) and wise hit c. .150 over that period.

Both sides to this argument have merit. Wise, however, has never shown any sustained success. So I would just suggest that we play them both a lot, and when Wise gets cold, he goes to the bench.

I'm ok with that.

WhiteSox56
09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Platoon sounds even better

Mr. Jinx
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM
This reminds me of the El Duque/Brandon McCarthy debate of 2005. McCarthy was phenomenal in September while El Duque was just awful. But when it counted most El Duque stepped up.

I feel the same here. Wise hopefully gets us into the postseason but then I'd like to see De Aza. Robin can find ways to get Wise into the games.

True, but El Duque had over a dozen post season appearances under his belt at the time and De Aza is currently in his first full season. There is something to be said for experience this late in the year.

russ99
09-18-2012, 09:57 AM
True, but El Duque had over a dozen post season appearances under his belt at the time and De Aza is currently in his first full season. There is something to be said for experience this late in the year.

That's not a lost point. De Aza has logged more than half his career at-bats this season. He's never been through the tough last one and half months like the veteran players have. Wise has seen and done it all and his play with the Sox isn't a fluke, since he put up similar numbers with the Yankees this year.

But we're surely a tougher team to beat overall with De Aza leading off and playing the way he had the first half of the season, so I hope Robin works him in and gets him back to that the last couple of weeks, since we'll need that De Aza in the playoffs, if everything goes to plan.

SOXSINCE'70
09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
I know the Sox wouldn't be here without De Aza,but I go with the hot hand.And right now,that's DeWayne Wise.Just don't try going from 2nd to 3rd
when it's obvious the LF will throw you out BY A MILE.Give De Aza a day or 2 off,then evaluate again.

WhiteSox56
09-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Maybe add the platoon option in the poll?

hawkjt
09-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Stick with the hot hand til he cools. DeAza has not been the same since he got injured. Maybe sitting will help him physically. Against certain matchups,play them both and sit Tank,unless he gets hot. Robin talked of sitting Rios in a game vs the Royals(I hope he does not), then start them both vs Mendoza.

DWise hit well with the Yanks,and has hit well with the Sox...what exactly do fans want him to do?

enurb
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd go with DeAza. He hasn't done it recently, but he sees a lot of pitches and his OBP is higher notwithstanding Wise's hot streak. My sense is he's a better fielder but I could be talked out of that view if there were stats to support it. He also delivered us here.

This is a good question and a close call. That is a testament to Wise's great play and unfortunately DeAza's recent struggles.

Really glad the Sox won that game for D. Wise last night after his running gaffe. Felt bad for the guy and he's been a great addition.

So fun to be in this position right now. Hope the guys have fun in KC and bury the Tigers.

Later all,

Enurb

TDog
09-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, the last time Wise played in a playoff run for us, it worked out well. So far, it is working out well this season as well. Wise is mediocre, not terrible. De Aza is playing terrible at the moment. Wise is playing well at the moment. The OP's question isn't which player you prefer as our CF in the long term, it is about the short term. In this short term so far, Wise has helped us win more games than De Aza has. What does that mean for the playoffs and beyond? Well, for me it means that I will be appreciative of Wise's contributions and looking forward to De Aza as our CF going forward. Having Wise play now is not mutually exclusive with wanting De Aza to be our CF in the long term. Unless of course you dislike Wise so much that you can't stand him even when he plays well for us.

The last time the White Sox played in a postseason series, Wise was the closest thing the Sox had to an offensive star, hitting .286 with a home run and five RBIs in five games. Ramirez was the most dangerious hitter going into the postseason, but Wise was the most dangerous hitter in the postseason. Had the White Sox had more dangerous hitters, their postseason might have lasted more than four games.

Wise has had his moments, both good and bad, not unlike Monday's game. He doesn't suck, but he isn't going to have great seasons. Right now, he's hitting and De Aza doesn't look like he's 100 percent.

ChiSoxGal85
09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I'd have to find the tweet, but the other day Robin said something like DeAza's "a little off". I don't know if he meant mentally or physically. Regardless, I'd go with Wise until DeAza is "back on", and I mean 100%. No point in trotting out a not-100% DeAza when Wise can do the job.

JB98
09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm not convinced De Aza is healthy. He swung the bat like a man nursing an injury in Minneapolis. He also could just be wearing down. He's had more at-bats this season than any previous year in his career.

De Aza is the better player over the long haul, but right now Ventura has to play the hot hand and stick with Wise.

Huisj
09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Stick with the hot hand til he cools. DeAza has not been the same since he got injured. Maybe sitting will help him physically. Against certain matchups,play them both and sit Tank,unless he gets hot. Robin talked of sitting Rios in a game vs the Royals(I hope he does not), then start them both vs Mendoza.

DWise hit well with the Yanks,and has hit well with the Sox...what exactly do fans want him to do?

Speaking of Rios, he hasn't had a day out of the lineup since August 8, and before that he hadn't had one since May 20 when Fukudome was still on the team. That's remarkable durability and steadiness.

Noneck
09-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Speaking of Rios, he hasn't had a day out of the lineup since August 8, and before that he hadn't had one since May 20 when Fukudome was still on the team. That's remarkable durability and steadiness.

How about Cabrera and Fielder. Thats what the big guys are suppose to do.

kufram
09-18-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm just glad that Kenny got Wise so that we have this problem and not someting much bigger. What a great move.

doublem23
09-18-2012, 03:16 PM

It's still a long, grinding season. Even the best players occasionally need to sit for a day to recharge. But to answer your question, Cabrera has missed 1 game this season (August 26). Fielder has played every game of the year so far for Detroit. In fact, he's only missed 3 innings this year; he was replaced at 1B in the 9th inning of the Tigers' 2nd game of the year, a 10-0 win over Detroit and was pulled in the 6th inning of Detroit's 13-0 loss to the Angels on July 17th after he was hit by a pitch and replaced by Kelly as a PR-1B.

Huisj
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Well yes, and their durability has been quite remarkable too. But seeing them do that is much more expected in some ways than a an outfielder coming off a season like Rios had in 2011.

It is impressive that Cabrera has done what he's done while playing 3rd for the first time in a number of years.

TheOldRoman
09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
It is impressive that Cabrera has done what he's done while playing 3rd for the first time in a number of years.Yeah, but I mean he only "plays 3rd" in th sense that he stands at that position on the field. Anything hit a few feet to either side is out of his range. I had a good hearty laugh last Monday when Cabrera basically did a bellyflop to field a ball a few feet to his left, then Hawk raved about the play as if it was a play of the year candidate.:lol:

Noneck
09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but I mean he only "plays 3rd" in th sense that he stands at that position on the field. Anything hit a few feet to either side is out of his range. I had a good hearty laugh last Monday when Cabrera basically did a bellyflop to field a ball a few feet to his left, then Hawk raved about the play as if it was a play of the year candidate.:lol:

You have to give credit where credit is due. Cabrera has played 3rd a lot better than I expected and now he is playing with a bad wheel.

WSox597
09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
You have to give credit where credit is due. Cabrera has played 3rd a lot better than I expected and now he is playing with a bad wheel.

The way things go lately, he'll win the Gold Glove at 3rd base. After all, he has 38 home runs and over 100 RBIs. That's how the voting seems to go these days.

Dibbs
09-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can get a good laugh when I need it most. Wise is a bum.

EMachine10
09-18-2012, 09:43 PM
De Aza, perhaps only because Wise is an awful centerfielder.

TheOldRoman
09-18-2012, 09:48 PM
I'm going to bookmark this thread so I can get a good laugh when I need it most. Wise is a bum.Nobody is claiming Wise is a future all-star or claiming the Sox should lock up up with a five-year extension. However, he has been very good for the Sox this year. He has arguably saved the season. So, you can argue that despite his current prolonged hot streak,"LOL he sucks!" but that doesn't mean it's irrational to play him over a slumping and possibly injured player right now.

billyvsox
09-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Stay with the hot hand- Wise. Posters saying Wise sucks are ignoring his actual production on the field. Something is going on with De Aza- hitting <.200 for the past month, and he's now "more comfortable" in LF? He looked completely lost in Minnesota.

Wise just went 3/5 in the most important game of the season.

He also has a history of performing well under pressure (2008 pennant race, 2008 ALDS, perfect game catch, 2012 pennant race)

Between the large outfield in KC and the brief trip to LAA- mix De Aza in at LF to get a little more defense and speed in the line up here and there- and if Rios/Viciedo, etc, need a night off.

If/when Wise cools off- transition back to De Aza as the starter, September/October baseball is filled with "no name" heroes- it's not about who is the better player over the long haul (De Aza)- it's about the player who is the better player at that point in time- and right now Wise gives us a better chance to win.

No days off for Rios until we clinch

CoopaLoop
09-19-2012, 12:25 AM
It's kind of scary how close this poll is. :o:

SoxThunder
09-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Hopefully De Aza is back on track after last night's solid performance. Maybe last night's lineup will be Robin's regular lineup vs. righty pitchers (Wise in CF and De Aza in LF). Since Viciedo's OPS vs. righty pitchers is only .625 (compared to 1.029 vs. lefties), I expect Wise to steal playing time from Viciedo vs. righty pitchers. However, for games against lefty pitchers, I think Robin will put De Aza in CF, Viciedo in LF, and Wise on the bench.

hawkjt
09-19-2012, 10:55 AM
It's kind of scary how close this poll is. :o:

Have you really looked at DeAza's numbers since the beginning of August?

He is a in a terrible funk. Wise is hitting .300 and has an OPS of over .800....this team struggles to score....slam dunk.

EMachine10
09-19-2012, 01:19 PM

He is a in a terrible funk. Wise is hitting .300 and has an OPS of over .800....this team struggles to score....slam dunk.
Wise's defense in center is poor - poor enough to cost this team games when he plays that inane shallow-center in the biggest parks around. You would think he would learn after getting ball after ball smacked over his head in Detroit.

doublem23
09-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Wise's defense in center is poor - poor enough to cost this team games when he plays that inane shallow-center in the biggest parks around. You would think he would learn after getting ball after ball smacked over his head in Detroit.

FWIW, the CF in Detroit is huge, it's 420 feet to dead center, even the best CF including Jackson occassionally have balls hit over their head.

Wise and De Aza are essentially a push defensively in CF. I've seen De Aza make horrible misplays on balls all year long, sometimes he's able to react quickly enough and make up for his mistake, sometimes he's not.

The larger overall point to this, too, is that ALEJANDRO HIMSELF ASKED TO BE MOVED. This isn't Robin overthinking or anything, Alejandro feels he's better in LF than CF. So it is what it is.

russ99
09-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Yup. People need to get a grip with that stupid Brian Anderson stuff from 3+ years ago and realize that Wise is doing well now.

Chez
09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
The larger overall point to this, too, is that ALEJANDRO HIMSELF ASKED TO BE MOVED. This isn't Robin overthinking or anything, Alejandro feels he's better in LF than CF. So it is what it is.

I know that's what was reported in the media, but that explanation doesn't add up. Until last week, De Aza had played 10[!] major league games in left and 186 games in center. I don't know his minor league break-down. I think Robin felt more comfortable with ADA in LF (and Wise in CF) and De Aza, after receiving the news, played the role of good soldier. Unless ADA suddenly began to doubt his own abilities in CF, his reported request to move to left seems weird. Don't you agree?

doublem23
09-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Yup. People need to get a grip with that stupid Brian Anderson stuff from 3+ years ago and realize that Wise is doing well now.

:scratch:

This is the first reference to BA in this thread so I have no idea where that is coming from; it's not that hard to believe that some people still have trouble trusting a 34-year-old journeyman whose career slash line entering this season was .230/.266/.392 is it?

doublem23
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I know that's what was reported in the media, but that explanation doesn't add up. Until last week, De Aza had played 10[!] major league games in left and 186 games in center. I don't know his minor league break-down. I think Robin felt more comfortable with ADA in LF (and Wise in CF) and De Aza, after receiving the news, played the role of good soldier. Unless ADA suddenly began to doubt his own abilities in CF, his reported request to move to left seems weird. Don't you agree?

In his minor league career, he's played 273 games in CF and 191 games in LF so I'm sure he's more than familiar with the challenges of each position.

He's also played a lot more LF in the minors the last few years since joining the Sox; 105 MiLB G in LF since 2010 vs. 37 MiLB G in CF over that same amount of time. Looks more like he was pressed into playing CF because the Sox really haven't had an answer for the position since Rowand was traded but now he's able to move back to the position he prefers since the Sox don't really lose anything defensively with Wise in CF.

Huisj
09-19-2012, 01:43 PM

This is the first reference to BA in this thread so I have no idea where that is coming from; it's not that hard to believe that some people still have trouble trusting a 34-year-old journeyman whose career slash line entering this season was .230/.266/.392 is it?

Actually, that's what his hot month this year has done to his career line. Prior to 2012, it was .219/.256/.373.

EMachine10
09-19-2012, 01:46 PM
FWIW, the CF in Detroit is huge, it's 420 feet to dead center, even the best CF including Jackson occassionally have balls hit over their head.

Wise and De Aza are essentially a push defensively in CF. I've seen De Aza make horrible misplays on balls all year long, sometimes he's able to react quickly enough and make up for his mistake, sometimes he's not.

Re: Detroit's 420 ft. CF, all true, but in my opinion, he should be playing deeper when he knows the park is that big. It's no secret that it's deep. He'd still have balls hit over his head, but not quite as many.

Chez
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
In his minor league career, he's played 273 games in CF and 191 games in LF so I'm sure he's more than familiar with the challenges of each position.

Ok. Thanks for the research. Since CF is the more difficult and more prestigious position, it just seems to me to be an odd explanation from De Aza -- especially since he really has no future with this team as a starting corner outfielder.

doublem23
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Actually, that's what his hot month this year has done to his career line. Prior to 2012, it was .219/.256/.373.

Whoops, misclick on my part, you are correct.

hawkjt
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM

When he starts hitting .230, fine, sit him. But he is hitting .300 since being called up,and it makes no sense to sit a .300 hitter simply because his career numbers are not good. As was reported...he changed his batting stance in the spring with the Yankees,and has been hitting ever since.

If this is the criteria, we better sit Rios and Dunn immediately,because they struggled last year.

doublem23
09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
When he starts hitting .230, fine, sit him. But he is hitting .300 since being called up,and it makes no sense to sit a .300 hitter simply because his career numbers are not good. As was reported...he changed his batting stance in the spring with the Yankees,and has been hitting ever since.

If this is the criteria, we better sit Rios and Dunn immediately,because they struggled last year.

That has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about, as Dunn and Rios were both All-Star level players before their awful 2011 seasons, which were clearly the abberation for each of them. In the case of Wise, it's the reverse, for most of his career, he has been an awful player, thankfully for us, he's been dynamite since coming over here. But the fact is he's still a guy who entered this year as a career .220ish hitter, you can spin it however you'd like, maybe he's having a career season, maybe he's really discovered a new batting stance... whatever. I'm not really even arguing one way or the other, I'm fine with playing Dewayne over De Aza so long as De Aza continues to struggle/be hurt, but I can't figure out why some people struggle to understand why others DON'T want to put their total trust in Dewayne.

CoopaLoop
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM

You ride Wise out until he puts up Wise numbers again, sure. But De Aza should still be getting the majority of playing time.

BainesHOF
09-19-2012, 09:43 PM
You can play Wise and De Aza. Viciedo needs to sit, at least for a game or two after tonight's brutal performance at the plate and in the field.

Dibbs
09-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Never play Wise over anyone. He is one of the worst players in the league.

Dibbs
09-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Wise is 1 for his last 15. Time to permanently sit the man down.

Noneck
09-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Wise is 1 for his last 15. Time to permanently sit the man down.

For who? Viciedo hasnt been much better and I'll take Wise defense over Viciedo.

tick53
09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
C'mon! No brainer, Alejandro has been there all year and helped the team get where they are.

Tragg
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Never play Wise over anyone. He is one of the worst players in the league.
Correct.
De Aza is on a 6 game hitting streak as well.

How in the world is this a debate.

Dibbs
09-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks again for all who voted Wise. This thread gives me a laugh right when I need it as we are collapsing to end the season.

Wise is 1 for his last 19. Why is Robin continuing to trot him out there? He is becoming as bad as Ozzie.

I would have loved to see Viciedo have a shot this evening with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. Wise pulled a weak grounder to the right side to end the first inning. Get rid of the guy once and for all.

Tragg
09-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks again for all who voted Wise. This thread gives me a laugh right when I need it as we are collapsing to end the season.

Wise is 1 for his last 19. Why is Robin continuing to trot him out there? He is becoming as bad as Ozzie.

I would have loved to see Viciedo have a shot this evening with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 out. Wise pulled a weak grounder to the right side to end the first inning. Get rid of the guy once and for all.
Indeed.

WhiteSox5187
09-26-2012, 11:36 PM

I have little faith in Viciedo coming through with guys in scoring position.