PDA

View Full Version : Makes the changes, win the division

mcm3312
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Ive never much bought into the notion that you shouldn't change up a lineup because "why fix whats not broken" or "why mess with their heads".

IMO baseball games are won by getting the most ABs out of your most productive hitters, and the most IPs out of your most productive pitchers. With that being said, who doesn't think this lineup gives us our best chance to win?

1. De Aza cf
2. Beckham 2b
3. Rios RF
4. Dunn Dh
5. Konerko 1b
6. Pierzynski C
7. Youkilis 3b
8. Viciedo Lf
9. Ramirez Ss

The biggest change we need to make is swapping Rios and Konerko in the lineup. Don't be fooled by the numbers, Paulie has been average at best since his torrid start and wrist injury. Also moving Rios up clogs up the bases less and allows us to score more runs on the hits from the middle of the order.

The next change is to switch Youk and Beckham. Say what you'd like about the kid, but he's swinging the bat as well as anybody on the team lately, thanks to his rekindled desire to push the ball to the opposite field. Youk has shown a bit of pop too, and I think his homeruns would be better suited down a little bit in the order with a higher chance of guys being on base.

The last change would be to swap DWise and Tank on a righty/lefty basis. I can't stand Wise but to his defense he plays a great outfield and has had some timely hits in his sox career.

What do we think?

JB98
09-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't think that lineup gives us the best chance to win, not at all. I'm cool with the current lineup.

Beckham has always sucked at the top of the lineup. No way I want him batting anywhere but ninth. Why move Youk down when he sees as many pitches as anybody in this lineup? He makes that opposing pitcher work in the first inning and allows everyone on the bench to take a look at what that pitcher has.

Moving Rios up to third would actually clog the bases *more*. Your lineup has Dunn, Konerko, Pierzynski and Youkilis hitting consecutively. Talk about clogging the bases....

Tragg
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd move Beckham to the 2 spot on occasion when we're playing the bench....say when Olmedo or Lopez would otherwise be there.
But he certainly has been hitting a lot better.
Youk is okay for the 2 hole, as he walks.
I still think Rios would be our best 3 hole hitter....but not reason to mess with he and Dunn now.

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't think that lineup gives us the best chance to win, not at all. I'm cool with the current lineup.

Beckham has always sucked at the top of the lineup. No way I want him batting anywhere but ninth. Why move Youk down when he sees as many pitches as anybody in this lineup? He makes that opposing pitcher work in the first inning and allows everyone on the bench to take a look at what that pitcher has.

Moving Rios up to third would actually clog the bases *more*. Your lineup has Dunn, Konerko, Pierzynski and Youkilis hitting consecutively. Talk about clogging the bases....

Right before we traded for Youk, Beckham was batting second and was starting to turn it around after his horrible spring and I think putting him back at #9 sort of deflated him. I give him a lot of credit for giving us great defense and his offensive numbers are going to be respectible after all is said and done. He is at 15 HRs and 58 RBIs right now and will probably hit another HR or 2 and wind up with 65 ribbies. As for any lineup changes right now I say nix to that.

FielderJones
09-17-2012, 07:47 PM

:thumbsup:

kittle42
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Right before we traded for Youk, Beckham was batting second and was starting to turn it around after his horrible spring and I think putting him back at #9 sort of deflated him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beckhgo01&year=2012&t=b#lineu::none

.258/.305/.402. Sure, it's better than his other terrible numbers, but still crappy.

thomas35forever
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Don't mess with success. No need to change our hitters' mindsets this late in the season.

LITTLE NELL
09-18-2012, 06:23 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=beckhgo01&year=2012&t=b#lineu::none

.258/.305/.402. Sure, it's better than his other terrible numbers, but still crappy.

Look at his June stats. We traded for Youk on June 24th and Gordo went back to #9 and he regressed to his April and May performance.

kittle42
09-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Look at his June stats. We traded for Youk on June 24th and Gordo went back to #9 and he regressed to his April and May performance.

Yeah, I agreed with that - just saying that I didn't think his "high point" numbers in the two spot were very impressive, either.

Huisj
09-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I thought Beckham looked a little better hitting #2 in June, but it's hard to say if it's a coincidence that he just happened to be hot that month, or if it really was that he was more comfortable up there in the order.

However, you have to like Youkilis' OBP in that position and the way he sees more pitches in an at bat than a lot of other guys. He's not fast, and with his nagging injuries, he's even less fast, but I think his OBP ability up there still out weighs the things Beckham brings to the table.

hawkjt
09-18-2012, 11:58 AM
No.

Youk is a perfect #2 hitter....don't tell me his batting average..he works pitchers better than anyone on the team.

The bottom of the lineup has been productive lately with Alexei and Gordo going better...leave them alone.

Dunn is showing much better plate coverage since he returned...I think his swings are more measured due to the oblique....he has 5 hits in 3 games.

This offense is showing signs of life the last 4 games...lets not screw it up now.

mcm3312
09-18-2012, 09:35 PM
what do you know the two guys i suggest moving up in the lineup continue to rip the cover off the baseball…..As Avon Barksdale once said, "play the game or get played". Sit around playing with our thumbs and its gonna be Youk up again in a big situation with another one of his strikeouts, instead of these two guys getting the extra at bat late in games.

But hey, he worked the pitcher, so it's all good.

voodoochile
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Whadya want a monument, a medal or a cookie? :tongue:

billyvsox
09-19-2012, 12:00 AM

I agree....dont mess with sucess. Although I have been a big fan of Beckham in the 2 slot in the past, i'm not so sure now. He just seems to be at his best in pressure situations even hitting 9th. Despite all the hatred, he is now having quite a good season. Look at other 2b stats around the league. Bacon is pretty solid and getting better.

Keep the lineup as is, I say

FielderJones
09-19-2012, 12:27 AM
what do you know the two guys i suggest moving up in the lineup continue to rip the cover off the baseball…..As Avon Barksdale once said, "play the game or get played". Sit around playing with our thumbs and its gonna be Youk up again in a big situation with another one of his strikeouts, instead of these two guys getting the extra at bat late in games.

And despite Robin rejecting your brilliant analysis, the team remains in first place, winning five in a row, seven of their last ten, three games ahead of the Tigers with fifteen games to play.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2012, 12:57 AM

But hey, he worked the pitcher, so it's all good.Yeah, you're a freaking baseball genius. Expect a phone call from the Sox with a job offer any day.

kufram
09-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Yeah, I think we should stick with Robin posting the lineup and no wholesale changes. Beckham, at the moment, is a great 9 hitter for starters. This idea might have been something to try if we were not in a race. Certainly not now.

kittle42
09-19-2012, 01:22 PM

A winner is you.

mcm3312
09-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Way to work that pitcher Youk!!! Oh wait…..another stranded opportunity

doublem23
09-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Youk's definitely the only one having a bad game tonight

voodoochile
09-20-2012, 01:00 AM

This is not the game thread. If you persist in trying to turn it into one, I'll lock it and move it to the Roadhouse.

mcm3312
09-20-2012, 04:58 PM
De Aza lf

Wise cf

Dunn 1b

Rios rf

Pierzynski c

Youkilis 3b

Johnson dh

Ramirez ss

Beckham 2b……

Robins getting clooooooooserrrrrr boys. I know you hear Omar comin!!!!

voodoochile
09-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Yep, like I said, NOT the game thread...