PDA

View Full Version : ***9-17 Detroit Sucks Postgame thread (Sox 5, Tigers 4)***

DonnieDarko
09-17-2012, 05:18 PM
...wait, we actually beat the Tigers? What?

THREE GAMES UP, WOO!

EDIT: Can I get "DETROIT SUCKS" into the topic title, please? Thanks!

soxnut1018
09-17-2012, 05:19 PM
It's all good! :bliss:

ChiSoxGal85
That was a big win, and a great game. I can excuse the base running gaffe in the 8th, but only because the bullpen came out and shut. them. down.

Bye, Tigers...don't let the door hitya in the behind.:D:

Domeshot17
Ugly win but who cares!

Wise being thrown out at 3rd was monumentally stupid

Nate Jones is 8-0 now! What a rock he has been

thehawkeroo
09-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Bringing in reed made me nervous, but it's all good.

harwar
Bullpen was aces today .. felt like a playoff game .. HUGE win .. 3 games up

TheOldRoman
Suck it, Detroit! Hell yes! Three games up, magic number of 14.

I wasn't thrilled with bullpen usage in the 9th, but no worries. Reed might not be able to get a 1-2-3 inning, but thankfully he can get a 3 inning.:bandance:

WhiteSox5187
Big, big, big, big, big BIG win! Great job by the bullpen! Just keep winning, anyway, anyhow. I might need to see a cardiologist after this season but that's fine.

soltrain21
http://i.imgur.com/5zT5M.gif

soxfan1965
Awesome, unbelievable, yes! After the bases-loaded 3rd no runs, and Wise's unwise baserunning, the Sox still pulled it off, with some help from the Tigers. They needed it badly with the tougher schedule ahead than the Tigers. Mission accomplished!

Procol Harum
Kept track via ESPN Gamecast while at work--looked like a great game from here! Way to go, Sox!

:bandance:

kingpin_rcs
Wow, just awesome. I'm not sure I can take much more of this. Yet, this is what we all live for.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 05:21 PM
You know what they say, **** Detroit.

14 is the number folks.

With 16 games left the only way the tigers beat us if we go .500 is if they go 12 and 4.

I hope we finish strong and build momentum if we do make the playoffs.

Did not like the 9th inning roulette with the pitchers.

For all the crap we thought we were a week ago, we are 7-3 in the past ten and have gained 3 games in the standings since the horrible series in Detroit.

DonnieDarko
09-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Ugly win but who cares!

Wise being thrown out at 3rd was monumentally stupid

I saw that on Gameday and could only facepalm. That has to be the biggest braincramp I've seen all year from this team.

I guess that that's a good thing? I mean, if this is the worst braincramp they're had all season.

Nate Jones is 8-0 now! What a rock he has been

THE VULTURE

Soxman24
09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
YES!!!!!!!! That's a White Sox winner!!!! Oh, and **** you Detroit! **** you!!!!!

JB98
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
That slide by Rios was AWESOME. Might be the play of the season. That's the difference in the ballgame right there, and today is the biggest White Sox victory of the year (so far).

Excellent bullpen work today. Lots of guys were called upon. Everyone did his job.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Bringing in reed made me nervous, but it's all good.

I liked the move, maintain Reed's status as the closer but keep the possibility he'd have a flare up to a minimum.

Either way, that's 4 in a row. I am in a good place right now. Not going to need the L today, I'll just fly. :cool:

mccoydp
09-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I had to watch this on CBS Sportsline today since MLB.com is blocked at work.

Great win by the Sox! I'm going to watch the highlights on my phone now :cool:

Three games up! :gulp:

voodoochile
Oh **** yes. Man heck of a slide by Alex. Game should not have been this close. No idea what Wise was thinking. He scores from second walking on any single with two outs anyway. It was just a stupid decision. Maybe he thought there was only one out. In the end it didn't matter.

Great great job by the bullpen...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

16th&State
Huge win! Nate Jones was outstanding! He sure as hell earned win #8!

asindc
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Sox win! Sox win! Sox Win!!!

For a thread title, I would gone with, "Wise is Bailed Out by Bullpen, Postgame Thread (Sox 5, Detroit 4)." I've never seen that before.:scratch: Oh well, let's go get KC!

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2012, 05:25 PM
That slide by Rios was AWESOME. Might be the play of the season. That's the difference in the ballgame right there, and today is the biggest White Sox victory of the year (so far).

Excellent bullpen work today. Lots of guys were called upon. Everyone did his job.

That slide is the sort of the thing that doesn't show up in a box score but is what made the difference in this game and could wind up giving us the division.

Red Barchetta
Before the Tigers came to town and the postponed game, I said I would be happy with a 2-2 split and have the Tigers leave town 2 games back with 4 games knocked off the schedule.

Add a Twins sweep over the weekend and we have the Tigers leaving town 3 games back with 7 games knocked off the schedule! :bandance:

Now we need some payback to the Royals!

OmahaSoxFan
What a game, and the Sox "earn" the split in the delayed four game series... which most of us around here thought would be just fine going in to the start of the series last week. A 3 game division lead on September 17th is freaking huge, Sox just need to continue to build off this - and bury the Royals once and for all this week. I might have to use a personal day this week to get down to KC to catch a game and root on the boys... if I can get away with it!

Great job by the bullpen today too, Jones was nails, and Veal, Myers, Thornton and Reed all did their jobs not making it interesting in the end. Just shows if this pitching staff can avoid the walks, it can do good things.

Great day to be a White Sox fan, isn't it!?!

ohiosoxfan
I actually liked the pitching roulette in the ninth. . . Reed was shaky in his last outing; Myers was awesome in the 8th and he has a history of closing so starting the ninth was OK. It made it possible to have Dirks (who has hit us well) face a lefty in Thornton who seems to have it together, and Reed could concentrate on just one RH hitter who wasn't Cabrera.

soxfan1965
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh **** yes. Man heck of a slide by Alex.
Agreed, a 2-run slide, the little things, not just home runs, made the difference. Probably the play of the game.

SCCWS
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Terrible mistake by Wise. But he was the offensive leader today w 3 hits and 2 rbi. Bullpen was outstanding

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Alright so who pitches for us tomorrow?

Floyd, then Sale, and Liriano?

Hitmen77
09-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Wow! 3 games up! :bandance::gulp:

That slide is the sort of the thing that doesn't show up in a box score but is what made the difference in this game and could wind up giving us the division.

I couldn't watch the game today. What happened? What inning? I'll check it out on mlb.tv tonight.

BNLSox
Wise missing the cutoff man on the throw after Fielder's double was piss poor too.... Luckily his bat was strong and made up for his other blunders.

Lip Man 1
Whew...that's all I can say.

Despite the absolute stupidity, they got it done.

Now for God's sake PLEASE score some runs against the ****ing Royals.

In nine out of the 15 games played the Sox have scored three runs or less.

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Series in Detroit is huge. The a's are fighting for the playoffs and will be playing hard. The tigers may lose another series there.

After that it becomes easy for them so we will have to play good baseball to keep them at bay.

palehosepub
09-17-2012, 05:30 PM
stuck in the Ukraine for work stayed up late to watch on
the internet and listen to the radio feed

GREAT WIN BOYS I AM PROUD OF THIS TEAM

Nate jones was fantastic

GODSPEED PALEHOSE

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Just found out here that we won, another game that I was too nervous to watch the top of the ninth. On to KC, lets take at least 2 while Detroit should have their hands full with the A's.

Good to see a nice crowd of over 29,000 for a make up game.

MarySwiss
09-17-2012, 05:34 PM
I'm not excusing Wise, but Beckham should not have been walking home, either.

And I hate to say this, but I thought West called a good game.

Always good to see the Wimperoo back!

pudge
09-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Wow. Huge win. Three games up with 16 left. I actually have some faith this can get done. It's been tough to be a believer in this roller coaster season. Love the Detroit D throwing games away. Now let's go get some wins against KC.

16th&State
I couldn't watch the game today. What happened? What inning? I'll check it out on mlb.tv tonight.

Bottom 5, bases loaded double play grounder by Tank was broken up by an awesome take-out slide by Rios at 2nd. Infante's throw sails wide of 1st and the Sox score the go ahead run.

WhiteSox5187

There were so many things wrong with that play. Yes Beckham should be hustling but it seems like everybody walks home on that play and the Tigers certainly had no shot at him at the plate, Wise however has the WHOLE play right in front of him! Why is it even worth trying to get to third with two outs already?! Beckham didn't look great but Wise looked AWFUL!

JB98
09-17-2012, 05:38 PM

Fifth inning. Sox down 4-3. They load the bases with no outs. Pierzynski lines out. No advancement for any runner. Still bases loaded, one out for Viciedo. He hits what looks like a sure inning-ending DP to short.

Rios, the runner on first, takes out Infante's legs on the turn. Infante throws it away. Dunn scores easily from third to tie it. Konerko scores from second on the overthrow to provide the go-ahead (and eventual) winning run.

The Sox would have blown a bases-loaded, no outs opportunity without that slide. Instead, they took the lead. Bullpen did the rest.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Absolutely no way you can pin that on Beckham, 100% on Wise. Cardinal rule of base running is you cannot make the 3rd out at 3rd base.

kevingrt
09-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Best postgame title ever. Loved today. Well the win.

JB98
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Absolutely no way you can pin that on Beckham, 100% on Wise. Cardinal rule of base running is you cannot make the 3rd out at 3rd base.

One of my pet peeves is guys not hustling home on plays like that. You never know what is going on behind you.

But, yeah, you're right. Wise blew it. Of course, we don't win this game without his clutch two-out, two-run hit in the fourth, so I forgive him.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Wise just barely maintained his "hero of the game" status with a HUGE assist from Myers, Thornton, and Reed. Rios' slide is proof that the littlest things can make the biggest difference in crunch time.

For all the hate Wise is getting for his boner on the basepaths, I think that Beckham should get some of it...he was practically walking to the plate the last 20 feet. Had he ran a little harder, the run would have counted. Thankfully, it ultimately ended up not mattering.

The first-base ump was very Detroit-friendly...two bad calls that went against the Sox. Surprisingly, Joe West called a good game for the most part.

3 game lead. Magic Number down to 14. Let's get it done!

central44
09-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Great win, but i'm not going to breath easily until after the KC series. KC terrifies me...LAAA and TB, not as much.

If they can play .500 ball they should win this thing, though. And they're more than capable of doing that.

voodoochile
09-17-2012, 05:45 PM

X1000000000 when there is a potentially crucial insurance run on it's way home in the bottom of the 8th with 2 outs a 1-run lead and you are playing your division rival for either a one or three game division lead and a little over two weeks left in the season.

KenBerryGrab
09-17-2012, 05:46 PM

http://www.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24850301&c_id=cws&partnerId=aw-7058423028798329015-996

TomBradley72
09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
29000 for a short notice, afternoon make up game on a work day?

Nice job White Sox fans! :gulp:

Bonehead move by Wise- but all the flaming posts are ridiculous- the guy has been a HUGE plus for us- we wouldn't be up by 3 games without him.

I can hear the opening notes of "Don't Stop Believin'" off in the distance- :cool:

soxfanreggie
09-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Can't complain after any win over the Tigers right now! Need to come out and play like a 1st place team against KC.

TDog
09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Happily one of today's offensive heroes didn't turn out to be an offensive goat, there being no goat in a win of this magnitude. Wise got the two-RBI hit to tie the game, which I believe was the only hit the Sox picked up in seven bases-loaded at bats, although Beckham took one for the team to drive in the run. He even got the double that put Beckham at third base to set up the sacrifice fly. I have no idea what he was doing trying to adavence to third with two outs. I can only guess he was trying to do too much, maybe expecting another bad throw into third.

In any case, it made for a more exciting ninth. Ventura used a literal closer by committee today, using three pitchers to set three Tigers down in order.

I think White Sox relievers retired 14 straight Tigers (for 15 outs becuase the first hitter in the sequence hit into a double play) after Delmon Young singled to give the Tigers the lead. Nate Jones picked up another vulture win desite giving up the hit to the first hitter he faced. I was concerned when the Tigers went ahead 3-0, more concerned when the Sox wasted a bases-loaded, one-out situation with the RBI men coming up in the bottom of the inning.

The game turned iwth Fister hitting Beckham, the second time this season he has hit a Sox hitter with the bases loaded. After Wise tied the score, I felt an epic win but feared a heartbreaking loss.

I thought there would be more offense though and didn't expect the game to be decided by a hard slide by Rios on a double-play ball.

I hope if a letdown is coming, it comes in Detroit, just as the Tigers have struggled afte the two home sweeps of the Sox. All the Sox have to do now is beat teams other than the Tigers, which the Sox have been doing better than the Tigers have been beating teams other then the White Sox.

I know the Sox don't yet have themselves a winning season, but so far it's been epic.

The Immigrant
09-17-2012, 05:49 PM
29000 for a short notice, afternoon make up game on a work day?
:cool:

That's tickets sold. There were barely 20,000 of us there.

BTW, I'm back in the office after leaving the game as soon as Rios caught that ball. Didn't miss a beat!

doublem23
09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Bonehead move by Wise- but all the flaming posts are ridiculous- the guy has been a HUGE plus for us- we wouldn't be up by 3 games without him.

Oh, absolutely, what Dewayne has given this team has been remarkable. I don't see anyone trying to take anything he's earned away from him, just noting that that was a potentially critical gaffe.

People are rightly venting some frustration over that single play, but hiss body of work on the whole has been terrific.

SCCWS
09-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Lost in the Wise mistake was 4 straight great abs. in the 8th. That pitcher was nasty:

1. Gordon got down in the count and really earned his walk
2. Wise also got down but caught a wasted pitch that was hittable and rifiled it down the line.
3. Youk got down as well but worked the count even and then got nicked. I was afraid they were going to walk Youk and set Dunn up for the double play
4. Then all we needed from Adam was a fly ball and he delivered.

Obviosuly the end result got wiped out, but that is high calibre late inning batting

TomBradley72
09-17-2012, 05:51 PM

BTW, I'm back in the office after leaving the game as soon as Rios caught that ball. Didn't miss a beat!

OK- I'm still impressed with 20000-

billyvsox
09-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Meh. We would have beaten Verlander last Thursday anyway :):):)...this was a better way to win though!!

Start the countdown. Time for some revenge on those pesky Royals. This is a different Sox team they are going to see the next 3 days.

GlassSox
09-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Oh, absolutely, what Dewayne has given this team has been remarkable. I don't see anyone trying to take anything he's earned away from him, just noting that that was a potentially critical gaffe.

People are rightly venting some frustration over that single play, but hiss body of work on the whole has been terrific.

+1 Also I so enjoyed the Veal vs Fielder match up, wow. :cool:

CHISOXFAN13
09-17-2012, 05:55 PM
OK- I'm still impressed with 20000-

It was 20,000 or whatever that was into the game in every crucial situation. Fantastic atmosphere. Glad I have a boss who understands the obsession!

JB98
09-17-2012, 06:01 PM
It was 20,000 or whatever that was into the game in every crucial situation. Fantastic atmosphere. Glad I have a boss who understands the obsession!

Yes. Kudos to all the Sox fans in attendance today. On television, you could tell the fans were into it.

slavko
09-17-2012, 06:02 PM
THE VULTURE
He's nearing Phil Regan territory as a Vulture. Amazing snab on the Young comebacker off a 100MPH fastball. Sometimes being out of fielding position helps.

I love Wimpy too, but he's heavily into "That's right, Hawk" as opposed to analysis.

There more to the Wise goofup than making the 3rd out at 3rd base. You don't tag up from 2nd on a fly to left field with a man on 3rd for that exact reason. Right or center, OK. I absolve Beckham.

slavko
09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
The first-base ump was very Detroit-friendly...two bad calls that went against the Sox. Surprisingly, Joe West called a good game for the most part.

Made up for the two dog**** calls at 1st base that got Leyland thrown out of the game yesterday and handed the Injuns a win.

all*star quentin
09-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Good managing today. :gulp:

wassagstdu
09-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Man heck of a slide by Alex. Game should not have been this close. No idea what Wise was thinking. He scores from second walking on any single with two outs anyway. It was just a stupid decision. Maybe he thought there was only one out.

Alex:play of the game. Dewayne: not. He was probably thinking one out before the play but forgot that the catch was the second out. With one out the throw probably goes home, as he expected.

thomas35forever
09-17-2012, 06:09 PM
All I can say is b-e-a-utiful! Don't stop now, boys!:bandance:

The Immigrant
09-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Yes. Kudos to all the Sox fans in attendance today. On television, you could tell the fans were into it.

It felt like a playoff game. Lots of diehards there today.

Crooked Number
09-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Just got back. What a game. Man. The atmosphere was electric, lots and lots of Sox fans representing. Several standing ovations in the early innings, it felt great being amongst the brethren. My afternoon meeting was canceled so I raced down to the park and snagged a 25 dollar lower reserve ticket, then snagged 2nd row in sec 151.

Joe West just had to make his mark didn't he? Either way, D Wise had both terrific success and spectacular failure today. The same could be said about Tank, which happened in consecutive plays with a great diving grab, then a horrific drop 60 seconds later.

Shout out to Nate Jones. Man did he step up. Had his best outing of the year in the most important game to date. The rest of the pen was huge too. Robin goes with Myers, Thornton and Reed to cover the three outs in the ninth. I cannot recall if I've ever seen that done before. 3 up. Let's go White Sox.

JB98
09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Just got back. What a game. Man. The atmosphere was electric, lots and lots of Sox fans representing. Several standing ovations in the early innings, it felt great being amongst the brethren. My afternoon meeting was canceled so I raced down to the park and snagged a 25 dollar lower reserve ticket, then snagged 2nd row in sec 151.

Joe West just had to make his mark didn't he? Either way, D Wise had both terrific success and spectacular failure today. The same could be said about Tank, which happened in consecutive plays with a great diving grab, then a horrific drop 60 seconds later.

Shout out to Nate Jones. Man did he step up. Had his best outing of the year in the most important game to date. The rest of the pen was huge too. Robin goes with Myers, Thornton and Reed to cover the three outs in the ninth. I cannot recall if I've ever seen that done before. 3 up. Let's go White Sox.

West is without question a dick, but I thought he had a very fair strike zone for both teams today.

ElevenUp
09-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Brilliant win. We had Wise with "The Catch", now we have Rios with "The Slide". Bullpen retires the last 14 Tigers in a row. Hopefully the team can take some momentum into the KC series!

Tragg
09-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Sox have made a lot of 3rd outs at 3rd this season (or so it seems). Not a good risk/reward situation. Wise isn't a particularly good baserunner in general either.
Nate Jones, while an early reliever, has consistently been used in high leverage situations and has generally come through. He's a sleeper closing candidate in the future; and, if not, definitely a late inning guy.
Who did they hit with an error on the slide? I assume the SS, but Fielder could have had it. A good defensive 1B would have.

Noneck
09-17-2012, 06:32 PM
This puts some real heat on detroit. How sweet it is!

MtGrnwdSoxFan
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Who did they hit with an error on the slide? I assume the SS, but Fielder could have had it. A good defensive 1B would have.

Infante, but the ball kissed off of Fielder's glove...therefore, I think the error should have been charged to Fielder. He could have made the play.

JB98
09-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Sox have made a lot of 3rd outs at 3rd this season (or so it seems). Not a good risk/reward situation. Wise isn't a particularly good baserunner in general either.
Nate Jones, while an early reliever, has consistently been used in high leverage situations and has generally come through. He's a sleeper closing candidate in the future; and, if not, definitely a late inning guy.

Infante, the 2B, was charged with the error. When the ball is in the dirt, the guy who threw it always gets the blame.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
West is without question a dick, but I thought he had a very fair strike zone for both teams today.

Yeah, granted I was only listening to the game at work, but I don't recall there being much problems with the umpiring at the plate. Farmer and DJ only questioned maybe 2-3 calls on balls and strikes during the game and he was correct about ruling Wise had been thrown out before Beckham touched the plate.

Now, the guy at 1B? Sounded like he had a rough day.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Infante, but the ball kissed off of Fielder's glove...therefore, I think the error should have been charged to Fielder. He could have made the play.

We can argue until the cows come home, but the bottom line is on an errant throw, even if its playable, the error always goes to the throw.

Noneck
09-17-2012, 06:36 PM

The more I watch Jones the more I wonder if he could be a starter.

Save that discussion for the off season.

JB98
09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah, granted I was only listening to the game at work, but I don't recall there being much problems with the umpiring at the plate. Farmer and DJ only questioned maybe 2-3 calls on balls and strikes during the game and he was correct about ruling Wise had been thrown out before Beckham touched the plate.

Now, the guy at 1B? Sounded like he had a rough day.

The Fielder/Quintana play in the top of the fifth inning was a bad call. Fielder was out.

That ended up not hurting the Sox, thank goodness.

voodoochile
09-17-2012, 06:44 PM

Yeah if anything one of the biggest blown calls of the game was the ball 4 call on Viciedo that led to the first three Sox runs scoring. It was right down Broadway but the catcher had to move his mitt from an inside setup to catch the ball outer half and West called it a ball. If that pitch is called a strike the Sox only score 2 that inning if everything stays the same.

Oh and I thought the call in the 8th was correct. Wise was out before Beckham's foot hit the plate. It was close but fairly obvious I thought.

Foulke You
09-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Sox reaped the benefit of dominating the Twins this past weekend. Our bullpen was well rested since the main guys barely had to be used in the 3 game set at Minnesota. Fantastic job closing the game out by our bullpen. Our offense still drives me bonkers sometimes though. 10 stranded runners today but hey, there are no style points at this time of year. A huge win for the 2012 White Sox. Let's close this thing out now and have a great road trip.

JB98
09-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah if anything one of the biggest blown calls of the game was the ball 4 call on Viciedo that led to the first three Sox runs scoring. It was right down Broadway but the catcher had to move his mitt from an inside setup to catch the ball outer half and West called it a ball. If that pitch is called a strike the Sox only score 2 that inning if everything stays the same.

Oh and I thought the call in the 8th was correct. Wise was out before Beckham's foot hit the plate. It was close but fairly obvious I thought.

Agreed. They got the Wise/Beckham play right. I wish I could blame the umpire for that, but the truth is it was a horrible baserunning play by Wise, who had played an exceptional game up until that point.

Tragg
09-17-2012, 07:17 PM
The more I watch Jones the more I wonder if he could be a starter.

That's an interesting thought.

JB98
09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
But does Jones have good enough offspeed pitches to be a starter? I'm not sure he does.

Aesero
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Great win by the Sox! So glad that baserunning mistake in the eighth didn't come back to haunt us.

As for Nate Jones starting I'd much rather him be a righty version of Thornton. Come in games in the eighth and throw 100 mph to blow people away. Maybe work on some offspeed stuff to accompany his heater.

Frater Perdurabo
09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
But does Jones have good enough offspeed pitches to be a starter? I'm not sure he does.

I think he's perfect in his current role; he's something of a "fireman" who comes in and puts out the fire.

Dan H
09-17-2012, 07:28 PM
This puts some real heat on detroit. How sweet it is!

You are right about the heat being on Detroit. Lately they have not been holding on to leads. But now, I hope the Sox can avoid any mind numging slumps. The division is theirs to win.

Noneck
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM

It seems like he is working on them. I remember at season start it was nothing but smoke, now I do see a slider and something off speed. The kid has really progressed this year. Maybe Im dreaming but I imagine Sale and Jones being 1,2 with Quintana at 3 for many years to come. I bet the chairman is hoping the same but for a different reason.

A. Cavatica
09-17-2012, 07:33 PM
He's nearing Phil Regan territory as a Vulture.

Is Nate any relation to Barry ('90)? 11 vulture wins that year...

www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesba01.shtml

tstrike2000
09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Great win today to come back from a 3-0 deficit. Let's win this thing.

Soxman219
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
I was at the game, felt like a playoff atmosphere. Started the Detroit sucks chant in my section after we took the lead. Great win, coming back from 3 down to tie, then down 1 to take the lead. Thank you Infante and Fielder for being bad at fielding!:smile:

cards press box
09-17-2012, 08:00 PM

It felt like a playoff game. Lots of diehards there today.

I just got back from the game. Thanks for the kudos but I have to say that today's crowd was the most fun crowd all year. It was certainly the most fiesty.

And the park did feel like a playoff game! What an exciting game!

Oh **** yes. Man heck of a slide by Alex.

As I watched that slide, I thought that the whole regular season might turn on that play. I still feel that way.

I actually liked the pitching roulette in the ninth. . . Reed was shaky in his last outing; Myers was awesome in the 8th and he has a history of closing so starting the ninth was OK. It made it possible to have Dirks (who has hit us well) face a lefty in Thornton who seems to have it together, and Reed could concentrate on just one RH hitter who wasn't Cabrera.

Good managing today. :gulp:

Ventura did a fine job managing the bullpen today. It seemed to me that he out maneuvered Leyland to make sure that Thornton faced Andy Dirks. Thornton did face him with one out in the 9th and struck him out.

That was well handled.

YES!!!!!!!! That's a White Sox winner!!!!!

Yes it was!

:winner

doublem23
09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I think he's perfect in his current role; he's something of a "fireman" who comes in and puts out the fire.

Which is funny because he actually doesn't. Close to 50% of the runners he's inherited this season have scored. He seems like to be in the Crain mold, comes in and works an inning for you. Maybe future closer material?

Chez
09-17-2012, 08:04 PM
I haven't read through this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating what others have already posted. This was the most exciting game I've been to since the 2008 Blackout Game. The crowd was GREAT. Most of the folks who were there really wanted to be there and the energy level in the park was outstanding. Kudos to the front office for allowing everyone holding a ticket to sit in the lower bowl.

Obviously, the bullpen was nails (bailed out D. Wise's blunder in the 8th).

I feel really good about this team. Let's keep it rolling in KC.

soxfan1965
09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I love Wimpy too, but he's heavily into "That's right, Hawk" as opposed to analysis. "Oh my", that's true, but nice to have some fun listening to his enthusiasm once in a while, especially today with the big win, "Oh my".

mahagga73
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
That was a big win, and a great game. I can excuse the base running gaffe in the 8th, but only because the bullpen came out and shut. them. down.

Bye, Tigers...don't let the door hitya in the behind.:D:
That was a huge win, especially considerng the cupcake schedule Detroit has coming up. Would not surprise me a bit if the division becomes decided on this one game.

Warriorjan
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
The weird thing was, not only did they allow people into the lower bowl, we were actually prevented from going to the upper deck. Made a last-minute decision to go, got there as the game was starting, bought upper deck seats. As we went in, the usher said, you can go into the 100 level, and my friend wanted some food not available in the UD, so we went and got the food, and then figured we'd go to our seats. An usher was standing on the ramp and said we had to go to the 100 level, access to the UD was closed. Told us to basically sit wherever we found seats, that the staff was all aware of this. So we did. Ended up sitting at the top of one of the sections right behind the Sox dugout. So got great seats for our $22 tickets.
The weird thing was, there actually were people in the UD, but at some point for some reason they stopped people from going up there. Very strange, never seen that happen before. I figure all those people who bought cheap seats off Stubhub over the weekend really made out.
We weren't even watching Beckham in the 8th, that seemed such a gimme. So happy it didn't come back to bite us.

Jollyroger2
09-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Good win. Just earns them a split in the 4-game home series but it comes at a good time to put them 3 back.

Now beat the g-d Royals please.

Brian26
09-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Good to see a nice crowd of over 29,000 for a make up game.

From what I understand, the 29,000 is the cumulative paid attendance between last Thursday night and today. The actual head count today was probably closer to 20,000. Still a good crowd.

Brian26
09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Oh **** yes. Man heck of a slide by Alex. Game should not have been this close. No idea what Wise was thinking. He scores from second walking on any single with two outs anyway. It was just a stupid decision. Maybe he thought there was only one out. In the end it didn't matter.

There was only one out. So, if that was his reasoning, we're even in bigger trouble. It's hard to be mad at the guy because he's been a sparkplug, but he broke at least three cardinal baseball rules-

Never make the third out of an inning at third base.

Never make the last out of an inning on the bases before a runner is able to cross homeplate.

Never tag up at second on a flyball to leftfield unless you absolutely, positively know you can make it.

DeadMoney
09-17-2012, 08:21 PM
From what I understand, the 29,000 is the cumulative paid attendance between last Thursday night and today. The actual head count today was probably closer to 20,000. Still a good crowd.

Went from getting to work a bit early this morning, to the game at lunch, back to work following the game, and now finally back at my apartment. Long day, but absolutely worth it. I do think the atmosphere at the park benefits from a full lower deck. I think it was a great gesture by the Sox to allow all 500 level holders to sit in the lower level. Great crowd and a great game.

Let's bring this division championship home boys!

cws05champ
09-17-2012, 08:28 PM

Kind of symbolic of why we have the lead on Detroit, their defense is atrocious.

I'm feeling good tonight...3 up with 16 to play. Now lets go get at least 2 of 3 from KC and go from there!

Crestani
09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
It seems like he is working on them. I remember at season start it was nothing but smoke, now I do see a slider and something off speed. reasoThe kid has really progressed this year. Maybe Im dreaming but I imagine Sale and Jones being 1,2 with Quintana at 3 for many years to come. I bet the chairman is hoping the same but for a different n.

So Danks would be your #4? At $56m I don't think so..!!

RadioheadRocks
09-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Is Nate any relation to Barry ('90)? 11 vulture wins that year...

www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesba01.shtml (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jonesba01.shtml)

Barry Jones is the Vulture I remember fondly. He was also cool to us "regulars" who sat above the Sox bullpen in the late 80s-early 90s. :smile:

Noneck
09-17-2012, 08:35 PM
[/B]

So Danks would be your #4? At $56m I don't think so..!!

Who knows if he will ever throw another pitch.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Um... Everybody?

DoItForDanPasqua
09-17-2012, 08:38 PM
This was my favorite game of the year. Home runs are boring compared to hard nosed plays like Rios made.

Noneck
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Um... Everybody?

Everyone minus 1 then.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Guys, I couldn't watch the game because I was at work...How would you say Quintana looked? He looked good his last outing or two, but I still have concerns about him regarding our possible playoff rotation. I think Gavin's looked good since coming back from the DL, so I think we're ok with the Top 3...I hope Quintana will be "there" too.

I always take 94 to 31st Street when returning home from work...Seeing all these Sox fans with smiles on their faces while beginning their drives home warmed my heart! Detroit DOES suck! This win was HUGE!

Whitesox029
09-17-2012, 08:59 PM

The lower deck was 90% full. The upper deck was 10% full, maybe. I also noticed that no one checked my ticket when I walked into the lower deck. Having the vast majority sitting downstairs definitely made it feel more electric. I actually felt like I was at a playoff game a few times.

Zakath
09-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Listening to the game on the radio, the failure to score in the 3rd after loading the bases would have been the kind of thing that White Sox teams in the past would have used as an excuse to fold up the tents. To come back from that in the next inning to plate 3 and tie the game was absolutely crucial.

Rios's slide to break up the DP are the kind of little things that make the difference between playing well into October and hitting the golf course early. Infante was way too far onto the first base side of second when he attempted the throw, almost asking to be taken out by the slide.

16 to go, with Detroit definitely having an advantage in the schedule. I honestly believe that we need to at least split the remaining portion of the road trip to keep the pressure on the Tigers. We can't afford to go 2-4 or 1-5 over the next 6, even with Detroit getting the A's over the next 3 days.

TDog
09-17-2012, 09:06 PM
There was only one out. So, if that was his reasoning, we're even in bigger trouble. It's hard to be mad at the guy because he's been a sparkplug, but he broke at least three cardinal baseball rules-

Never make the third out of an inning at third base.

Never make the last out of an inning on the bases before a runner is able to cross homeplate.

I'm glad it didn't matter in the end.

Never tag up at second on a flyball to leftfield unless you absolutely, positively know you can make it.

Really, I wonder if the bad throw into third on the Wise double factored into Wise trying to go to third. And while there might not be a reason to go to third with two outs (after the catch), Youkilis appeared to be tagging and might have gone into second to put one more runner into scoring position for Konerko. Whether Wise had a brain cramp, believed the throw was going home (it would have hit the cutoff man had it not been allowed to go through) or believed he could force an error, he cost the Sox a run and looked pretty bad in the process. Fortunately, the Tigers couldn't capitalize the way the Indians capitalized Sunday after the Tigers blew a scoring opportunity in a one-run game.

I caught the end of the game on MLB, which cut away after the last out. It appeared the Sox treated the win pretty much like they treated every win at home. I hope they didn't go all 2008 Twins with the September celebration that preceded the heroics that led to the win in Game 163. And I hope the Sox understand there are still games to be won.

As I become the biggest A's fan in NoCal before the hate returns Friday night, I hope the Sox can pick up some more ground heading into the weekend. I am looking forward to Tigers fans blaming it on the rain (a big rain-shortened loss before the postponed Verlander start) when they miss the postseason after most of the country figured they would have the Central wrapped up in August.

JB98
09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Guys, I couldn't watch the game because I was at work...How would you say Quintana looked? He looked good his last outing or two, but I still have concerns about him regarding our possible playoff rotation. I think Gavin's looked good since coming back from the DL, so I think we're ok with the Top 3...I hope Quintana will be "there" too.

I always take 94 to 31st Street when returning home from work...Seeing all these Sox fans with smiles on their faces while beginning their drives home warmed my heart! Detroit DOES suck! This win was HUGE!

Quintana gave up three runs in the third inning, and it was pretty much death by 1,000 cuts. Garcia's leadoff single was hit hard. But Laird's single was a flair to right that didn't dent the grass. Jackson RBI single was a 50-hopper that couldn't have been rolled any better between Youkilis and Ramirez.

After the intentional walk to Cabrera to load the bases, Quintana made some nasty pitches to strike out Fielder. It looked like he was going to get out of it with only one run scored. He sawed off Young inside, but that lucky son of a bitch flared it over Alexei's head for a two-run single. Just a bad break for Jose.

I didn't feel like Quintana's stuff was bad today. He did throw a lot of high-stress pitches. He worked out of a huge jam in the second. Obviously, the third inning was tough, and then the bad call at first put him in a huge pickle in the fifth. Earlier in the season, Robin probably would have allowed him to try to work out of trouble there. But in this game, the stakes were just too high to leave him out there any longer.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Everyone minus 1 then.

You're aware there's probably dozens if not 100+ pitchers in the Majors who have had far more complicated procedures done on their pitching arms, right?

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2012, 09:37 PM
I glanced on over at the Tigers' perspective game thread at Motownsports, and this was my favorite post:

Also, the White Sox have had a LOT go their way this year. A lot of bad players having good/great seasons, mid-season pickups playing better than expected, etc. Chances are they won't be this good next year, a la the Tigers in 2011/2012.

:rolling:

More like big-name players actually playing to their normal capabilities!

Saracen
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Didn't see the game so take it with a grain of salt, but I have less of a problem with Wise stupidly trying to do too much than with someone dogging it.

doublem23
09-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Didn't see the game so take it with a grain of salt, but I have less of a problem with Wise stupidly trying to do too much than with someone dogging it.

This "Beckham was dogging it" nonsense really needs to end here, maybe he wasn't doing his best Usain Bolt impression, but you make it sound like he was taking a leisurely stroll down the 3B line. Beckham scores 100% of the time on the play. Probably 110% except Wise inexplicably made a break for 3B. You cannot make the 3rd out of the inning at 3B. That is like T-ball level stuff.

tstrike2000
09-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Ok, two of three from KC and two of three from Anaheim.

Brian26
09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
This "Beckham was dogging it" nonsense really needs to end here, maybe he wasn't doing his best Usain Bolt impression, but you make it sound like he was taking a leisurely stroll down the 3B line. Beckham scores 100% of the time on the play. Probably 110% except Wise inexplicably made a break for 3B. You cannot make the 3rd out of the inning at 3B. That is like T-ball level stuff.

Seriously, it's just a ridiculous notion. That play is 100% the fault of Wise. Beckham and 999 out of 1000 other runners are coming from third to home at the same speed and effort on that play. The ball was almost hit to the warning track. The runner from third was going to score easily. What happened behind Beckham's back is absolutely unexplainable and inexcusable, but not scoring the run is no fault of his.

PushinWeight
09-17-2012, 09:57 PM
Ok, two of three from KC and two of three from Anaheim.

Yep. The Sox own their own destiny at this point. Only way they don't make the playoffs now is if they can't take care of business against teams they should beat.

Saracen
09-17-2012, 10:05 PM
My statement had nothing to do with Beckham, I was defending Wise trying to do too much, versus Olmedo not running an infield grounder out, for example. I didn't see the game, so I can't say much about what Wise did. It's funny how I made it sound like Beckham was dogging it when he never crossed my mind - I like Gordon.

delben91
09-17-2012, 10:06 PM

If Peavy can come back, I'm pretty confident Danks can.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Can't add much, I'm just sooooo happy!:bliss:

voodoochile
09-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Is there some update to John Danks' condition? Last report I saw and only report I can find is he had exploratory surgery. Anyone else got more news? Why would there be concern for anyone he might never pitch again?

ChiSoxGirl
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks to educating seventh graders on subjects in unusual order, I was subjected to ESPN Gamecast on my computer 'til Konerko's double, which eventually set up the Rios play, so I can't say much about the game itself. However, what I will say is I'm beyond thrilled with the outcome and knowing that we're three up with 16 to go will help me sleep well tonight! :bliss:

In my opinion, a big key to winning this division is keeping the momentum alive. Don't go into KC looking like a bunch of slugs; instead, play them like every game has more meaning than the previous one. Maybe the Royals being without Lorenzo Cain will help keep the Royals at bay. A lot of little breaks have gone the way of the Sox lately (for starters, Thursday's rain out, thereby avoiding Verlander) and it'd be nice to see them capitalize and pad their division lead by a game or two.

JB98
09-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Is there some update to John Danks' condition? Last report I saw and only report I can find is he had exploratory surgery. Anyone else got more news? Why would there be concern for anyone he might never pitch again?

There is no significant news. About a week ago, Danks indicated he hopes to begin a throwing program in late November.

voodoochile
09-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Just wanted to mention that Detroit has lost its last 10 one-run decisions. Snakebit.

Crappy defense and bad bullpen will do that to you...

Soxman219
09-17-2012, 10:53 PM
What's the pitching rotations for the KC series?

Konerkoholic
09-17-2012, 10:57 PM
No one gets irked like Andy Dirks.

JB98
09-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Floyd vs. Hochevar
Sale vs. Mendoza
Liriano vs. Chen

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Floyd vs. Hochevar
Sale vs. Mendoza
Liriano vs. Chen

We miss Guthrie, which is pretty big.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Floyd vs. Hochevar
Sale vs. Mendoza
Liriano vs. Chen

I'd say win Tuesday and Wednesday's game...I don't like Thursday's match-up.

kittle42
09-17-2012, 11:06 PM
BecAuse it's a forum and sometimes you don't want to go through pages of writing and just express your own opinion. I have done that a 100 times- skimmed over one or two posts and then posted my opinion, because sometimes you come in too late, and there is no way you are reading through pages of thread.

But you see my point, right?

Soxman219
09-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Floyd vs. Hochevar
Sale vs. Mendoza
Liriano vs. Chen

Looks good, especially missing Guthrie.

Hitmen77
09-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game today. How did Quintana look?

I can see from the box score that he only went 4 innings. What was his problem? Was he walking too many guys today?

JB98
09-17-2012, 11:22 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game today. How did Quintana look?

I can see from the box score that he only went 4 innings. What was his problem? Was he walking too many guys today?

Nah, his two walks were intentional. Cheap hits, tough luck.

See post No. 108 in this thread for more.

Bucky F. Dent
09-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Great Game! Great Win!

But have to follow it up with a series victory in KC, otherwise it's all in vain.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 11:31 PM
Paying attention to our schedule we have two series against the Indians, a 4 gamer against the Rays and two more one against the Angels and Royals.

The tigers have one against the a's, two against the twins, one against Cleveland and one against royals.

I think the sox go 3 and 3 this week, go 5-1 against the Indians, and 2-2 against the rays.

That gives us 90 wins for the year.

To match the tigers can only lose three games. I know they lose at least one against the A's and that gives them two more to deal with to end
The season. I know they will lose one against the Indians and royals, and the twins play them well too so they might lose a game or two there.

This is just playing to expectation but I know the tigers have had trouble with the twins, Indians, and royals so these series are not the cakewalks that they seem.

I do believe in our performance against the Angela, rays and Indians, so I can see us beating them and playing good baseball.

I also believe that this series will act as a great boost for this series against the royals. Yes' they're annoying, but we have to play them hard like we did today, plus the fact that we only play two of the sox killers bodes well for us. Missing Guthrie could be huge.

A series win against the Royals could act as a spring board because of our performance against the Angels and rays.

Also, the rays might have little to play for come the series against us unless both the A's and Orioles collapse, so things might be looking up.

White sox also have the perfect team to finish with to build momentum for the playoff if they make if with the Indians. I'll be in Texas, but I'll be watching like a madman.

Go sox!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2012, 11:56 PM
The Tigers have 7 against KC. They are done with Cleveland. I'd bet they face Cy Chen twice. Sucks to be them. They are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

guillensdisciple
09-17-2012, 11:59 PM
The Tigers have 7 against KC. They are done with Cleveland. I'd bet they face Cy Chen twice. Sucks to be them. They are now stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Really? Hmmm my apologies, and okay I am
Equally happy about that scenario.

russ99
09-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Great win by the Sox.

IMO, this series in KC is just as important. We're 2-4 there this year, need to take care of business and finally win a series there.

No easy games the rest of the way, even the Indians, who have given Detroit a hard time.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2012, 01:05 AM
Infante, but the ball kissed off of Fielder's glove...therefore, I think the error should have been charged to Fielder. He could have made the play.I've seen the replay about twenty times now, and the ball went about 4" under Fielder's glove. He did not touch the ball.

This "Beckham was dogging it" nonsense really needs to end here, maybe he wasn't doing his best Usain Bolt impression, but you make it sound like he was taking a leisurely stroll down the 3B line. Beckham scores 100% of the time on the play. Probably 110% except Wise inexplicably made a break for 3B. You cannot make the 3rd out of the inning at 3B. That is like T-ball level stuff.It wasn't a lack of running fast; if anything I think he knew he had so much time to get home on that one that he stayed a little longer at third before breaking for home to eliminate any chance of being called for leaving early.

Zisk77
09-18-2012, 01:10 AM
stuck in the Ukraine for work stayed up late to watch on
the internet and listen to the radio feed

GREAT WIN BOYS I AM PROUD OF THIS TEAM

Nate jones was fantastic

GODSPEED PALEHOSE

The ukraine is weak! its a road apple. :tongue:

IronFisk
09-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Fantastic, if not maddening win.

Need to clamp down and take 2 of 3 from pesky Royals.

Where's that Maalox?

gosox41
09-18-2012, 03:25 AM
Floyd vs. Hochevar
Sale vs. Mendoza
Liriano vs. Chen

Glad were not seeing Guthrie. He owns us more then Chen does (or so it seems by my selective memory.)

Hochevar has been tough on us.

Gotta do better then 2 for 13 with RISP and leaving 10 men on base like today. Much better then that as that's terrible.

Bob

gosox41
09-18-2012, 03:29 AM
Quintana gave up three runs in the third inning, and it was pretty much death by 1,000 cuts. Garcia's leadoff single was hit hard. But Laird's single was a flair to right that didn't dent the grass. Jackson RBI single was a 50-hopper that couldn't have been rolled any better between Youkilis and Ramirez.

After the intentional walk to Cabrera to load the bases, Quintana made some nasty pitches to strike out Fielder. It looked like he was going to get out of it with only one run scored. He sawed off Young inside, but that lucky son of a bitch flared it over Alexei's head for a two-run single. Just a bad break for Jose.

I didn't feel like Quintana's stuff was bad today. He did throw a lot of high-stress pitches. He worked out of a huge jam in the second. Obviously, the third inning was tough, and then the bad call at first put him in a huge pickle in the fifth. Earlier in the season, Robin probably would have allowed him to try to work out of trouble there. But in this game, the stakes were just too high to leave him out there any longer.

Farmer and DJ were on Quintana today for leaving the ball in way too much, especially against Young. They said 2 things about facing young (and both are true)
1. He loves the ball in and too pitch him away, away, away.
2. He'll swing at anything close, especially on the first pitch.

Bob

TDog
09-18-2012, 03:39 AM
I've seen the replay about twenty times now, and the ball went about 4" under Fielder's glove. He did not touch the ball. ...

In any case, you never give the error to the first baseman if the throw bounces.

It may be true, though, that a good first baseman comes up with the throw, but the 2012 Tigers chose to sacrifice defense at first base for a stronger lineup. Some considered it a no-brainer. If today's game was lost because of poor defense at first base, it wouldn't be the first Tiger loss this year that could be attributed to poor defense at first base.

doublem23
09-18-2012, 06:59 AM

No, unless you think he was sent back in time to the 1700s where basic surgery is still a very, very risky affair

October26
09-18-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm still basking in the glow :sunshine: of that wonderful Sox win over the Tigers yesterday. I had to work on Monday so I could not watch the game. Thank goodness for MLB TV highlights and video. How wonderful to see/hear Ken Harrelson and Tom Paciorek together again! I loved that Tom called Ken the "Hawkeroo" and Ken referred to Tom as the "Wimperoo" to end the game. Harrelson and Paciorek are still terrific together. Rios' great slide to break up what looked like a sure double play was indeed a huge play. Oh, and I really like our new closer Mr. Myers-Thornton-Reed. It's a fun time to be a Sox fan and I am enjoying every moment of this exciting pennant race. Great win; keep on winning, White Sox! :bliss:

tstrike2000
09-18-2012, 08:36 AM
I'm still basking in the glow :sunshine: of that wonderful Sox win over the Tigers yesterday. I had to work on Monday so I could not watch the game. Thank goodness for MLB TV highlights and video. How wonderful to see/hear Ken Harrelson and Tom Paciorek together again! I loved that Tom called Ken the "Hawkeroo" and Ken referred to Tom as the "Wimperoo" to end the game. Harrelson and Paciorek are still terrific together. Rios' great slide to break up what looked like a sure double play was indeed a huge play. Oh, and I really like our new closer Mr. Myers-Thornton-Reed. It's a fun time to be a Sox fan and I am enjoying every moment of this exciting pennant race. Great win; keep on winning, White Sox! :bliss:

I liked your description of Hawk and Wimpy. I got this picture in my head of them telling each other "I love you, man" and singing Kumbaya.

October26
09-18-2012, 08:48 AM
I liked your description of Hawk and Wimpy. I got this picture in my head of them telling each other "I love you, man" and singing Kumbaya.

:lol: Thanks for that visualization; I would absolutely love to see that! Hawk and Wimpy are an important part of White Sox history and it is great to still be able to have them together today. :D:

SOXSINCE'70
09-18-2012, 10:45 AM

+ 1!:cool:

hawkjt
09-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Huge win for the Sox!

1. Wimpy is 8-1 doing Sox games this year(4-0 vs Rays,3-1 vs Jays,1-0 vs Tigers) ....just hire him to sit in the booth and hang out!

2. Quintana was not bad today. Sure, Sox-killer Young got a couple of ducksnorts, but the other hits were shanks for the most part also. He did not walk any, which is a better indicator of his arm being back to life. He will be ok.

3. Bullpen is back. The rest over the weekend was golden. Thornton,Myers,Jones,and Crain are back in a groove....huge.

4. DWise was unwise in the 8th,but the man is balling very hard right now. He is hitting around .350 in Sept...you cannot discount that!

5. Alex Rios is a baseball player in full this year....love to watch him run!

6. Sox go into KC on an offensive roll after the last 4 games...and Hochevar has not been great of late. We are due to get Mendoza ,and we have gotten Chen the last couple of outings. We miss their best starter,guthrie...nice.

7. Tigers get the red-hot A's who are lusting to catch the Rangers. The Tigers are not really hitting that well beyond miggy...A's pitching could shut down.

Keep pushing,Sox!

flo-B-flo
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
ass win....Felt like a playoff game....they're all playoff games now. Can't beat the excitement -and terror - of your team right in the thick of the pennant race. Let's get that first one tonight. Go Sox.....

SOXSINCE'70
09-18-2012, 12:37 PM
To paraphrase a former Sox skipper:

:ozzie

"Fung is winning,and winning is fung." :D: