PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Sox Own Twins, Win Season Series 14-4" Postgame Thread

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Everyone got in on the fun. Nice quiet game today.

Mohoney
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
32 out of 40 against these turds, and it never gets old beating them.

Great series to purge the negative vibes from early in the week.

doublem23
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Great way to respond from that horrible series with Detroit

Beat Detroit tomorrow and take that momentum into Kansas City

PushinWeight
09-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Only regret about this game/series is that the Twins don't show up on the schedule anymore!

Nice W Sox!

Let's got Tribe! A 2 game lead going into tomorrow would be HUGE!

voodoochile
09-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Another all around team effort. I couldn't watch but followed on my phone. Great to see the Sox really clicking on so many cylinders against a team they should beat easily and did.

Man it would be a great time for the middle of the order to get hot again and it looks like they might be...

:sweep

:soxwin: (duh)

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
32 out of 40 against these turds, and it never gets old beating them.

Great series to purge the negative vibes from early in the week.No matter how bad a team is, it's still hard to go 14-4 against them. Minnesota is a very bad team, but I'm still shocked to see the Sox winning the season series by that margin considering the pain in the ass the Twins have been the last decade. The Sox have done what they should against one of their horrible division rivals. Hopefully the Sox can save a little face against the Royals and keep pounding the Indians.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Great sweep and even better because we're playing the tigers tomorrow on a bit of a roll.

Hopefully the tigers lose and we can take a 3 game lead with 16 games to play.

We could go 8 and 8, and they would have to go 12 and 4 to over take us in the division if tomorrow works out for us.

GlassSox
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Outstanding game today so now keep it rolling and whoop up on some kitties on Monday.

cub killer
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
1 1/2 games up now. Go Cleveland!

LITTLE NELL
09-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Win tomorrow and then it's time for payback time in KC.

PalehosePlanet
09-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Really needed this sweep, if for no other reason than that our guys had to gain confidence playing on the road. We've been horrible on the road since the break, and needed to snap out of it.

Great all around effort offensively today. Keep it going.

Unfortunately, Detroit just grabbed the lead 6-5 in the top of the 7th.:angry:

WisSoxFan
09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Assuming the Tigers hold on today I'm saying the winner of tomorrow afternoon's game wins the division. Throw the kitchen sink at 'em tomorrow to get the win!

Lip Man 1
09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Detroit seems to be having no trouble with Cleveland when it counts. We'll see how the day finishes for them.

Now the Sox have to have "no trouble" taking care of "the Great" Mendoza, "Cy" Chen and "Catfish" Guthrie.

First off course they have to solve Fister.

Three wins for a winning season. Nice job today.

Lip

Dan H
09-16-2012, 06:07 PM
1 1/2 games up now. Go Cleveland!

The White Sox can no longer depend on someone else. They need to do it themselves, starting tomorrow.

Harry Potter
09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Now the Sox have to have "no trouble" taking care of "the Great" Mendoza, "Cy" Chen and "Catfish" Guthrie.

I believe the Sox will miss Guthrie and instead face Hochevar-Mendoza-Chen.

MarySwiss
09-16-2012, 06:18 PM
The White Sox can no longer depend on someone else. They need to do it themselves, starting tomorrow.

Yep, that's it. Let's take care of business! :D:

aryzner
09-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Sox will go into tomorrow's game 2 games up on Detroit.

WSox8404
09-16-2012, 06:31 PM
And that's a Cleveland winner!!!!

WisSoxFan
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
I amend my prediction about tomorrow's winner. Come on Sox. Get that win tomorrow and go on the road in the driver's seat!

DSpivack
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Winning that game tomorrow would be huge, as the Sox have a bit more difficult remaining schedule than does Detroit.

GlassSox
09-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Nothing like a walk off single :D:

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
2 games, bitches!!! This is huge. Even if the Tigers win tomorrow, they will still be a game behind the Sox.

Soxman219
09-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Sox control their destiny, win tomorrow then it's payback time in KC.

mrwag
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Man just think if the Sox could have played this well against the Twins in years past.... Oh well, get the Tigers tomorrow!

Frater Perdurabo
09-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Most excellent win today.

Tomorrow is the most important game of the year, to date.

Winning extends the lead to three games and puts pressure on Detroit as they return home to face wild card leader Oakland.

We need as much cushion as possible given that starting Friday the Tigers get a steady diet of eliminated Royals and Twins, while in addition to the Indians we get the Angels and Rays, who are fighting for their wild card lives.

DumpJerry
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
The Metrodome is rapidly fading in our rear view mirror...........yes, it's really gone.....

Noneck
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Nice sweep. Win tomorrow and put real heat on detroit.

Sox didnt really have to use pen today, detroit did.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2012, 06:48 PM
JB:

Absolutely. The final 13 games (on paper) seriously swings to Detroit.

Detroit pissing away the game today was huge, a Sox win tomorrow would be even bigger.

Lip

BigKlu59
09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
The Metrodome is rapidly fading in our rear view mirror...........yes, it's really gone.....

Amen to the negative visualization... This team would come apart at the sight of polyethylene, even bagging groceries..

Nothing like a bitch slap sendoff.. Now get down to the nitty gritty of finishing this thing up.. Beat those Damn Tiggers! Note to team... Boycott the Arthur Bryants BBQ this time in KC... Those burnt ends mess with your constitution and concentration..

BK59

TDog
09-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Detroit seems to be having no trouble with Cleveland when it counts. We'll see how the day finishes for them.

First off course they have to solve Fister.

Three wins for a winning season. Nice job today.

Lip

No trouble with the Indians? Even before the Indians beat the Tigers today with two in the ninth against Valverde, the Indians were giving the Tigers all they could handle. They knocked out Porcello, who didn't even go five despite being staked to a 3-0 lead, and came from behind to win after the Tigers came from behind to take the lead. The only hitter Valverde got out barely missed tying the game himself with a fly ball that was foul, apparently, by inches. But if you watched baseball, you would have seen that the Royals gave the Angels all they could handle this weekend, even walking off the Angels in a game where Guthrie held LAA to two runs and Greinke took a shutout into the ininth.

As for the White Sox, it was nice to see a Sunday lineup (really, an exaggerated Sunday lineup) playing as late-inning substitutes with a lead in the bottom of the ninth. I was impressed with the Wise sacrifice fly to tie the game and the Wise sacrifice fly to extend the lead. Scoring those runs from third with less than two outs is something the Sox haven't been doing. I was even more impressed when the Sox kept scoring after the second sacrifice fly, capped off with an RBI single from Dunn. As September games go, it stress free for the fans. I hope it did the players some good.

Our community seemed to believe at the time that the Thursday night rainout was a break. As it turns out, the White Sox go into tomorrow's Monday game the same way they went into the previous Monday game against the Tigers. They have a two-game lead. Except this time, the Tigers can't finish the series against the White Sox with a share of first -- and there is one less week on the season.

And Monday's game becomes the next most important game of the season. Not a win that would clinch the divison or lose it by any means. The race will be decided by the baseball that follows. But a three-run cushion would be nice to have facing a tough roadtrip.

jdm2662
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
The best part of today's game was they were able to pull a bunch of their starters and get them rested for the day game tommorrow. Hopefully, it means an easier time tommorrow. I do feel a bad headache, but I would ruin my OT hours if I blow off work this week. So, gameday it is...

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
JB:

Absolutely. The final 13 games (on paper) seriously swings to Detroit.

Detroit pissing away the game today was huge, a Sox win tomorrow would be even bigger.

Lip
I'm not the least bit concerned about the schedule difference. To update the numbers I posted last week, since July 20 when the Sox went into Detoilet for the first sweep:

Sox: 29-24 (28-16 against teams other than the Tigers)
Tigers: 28-24 (20-23 against teams other than the Sox)

The Sox are the better team, but the Tigers have benefited from the Sox not being able to beat them for some reason. The Sox only have three games left against the powerhouse Royals. If the Sox keep it up against teams other than Detroit and KC, they are in a good position.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Man just think if the Sox could have played this well against the Twins in years past.... Oh well, get the Tigers tomorrow!

Couldn't- they were our main competition for
First. Same story with the tigers this year.

I don't think I have ever seen a year where the sox did well against their second closes team in the division ( don't remember our head to head record in 2005, but maybe that was the year).

PalehosePlanet
09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Couldn't- they were our main competition for
First. Same story with the tigers this year.

I don't think I have ever seen a year where the sox did well against their second closes team in the division ( don't remember our head to head record in 2005, but maybe that was the year).

I believe we were 14-5 against Cleveland that year.

As far as the Tigers go, Leyland has used El Douche Grande in five consecutive games, over six days. I believe he would not be available tomorrow, should they need him. Either that or he'll be throwing 82.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2012, 07:15 PM

As far as the Tigers go, Leyland has used El Douche Grande in five consecutive games, over six days. I believe he would not be available tomorrow, should they need him. Either that or he'll be throwing 82.

Well, white sox do have problems dealing with soft tossers

johnnyg83
09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
strange stat about the sox ... 2nd in all of baseball in HRs ... 2nd to last in doubles ... can we thank the nutritionist?

Tragg
09-16-2012, 07:44 PM
We need as much cushion as possible given that starting Friday the Tigers get a steady diet of eliminated Royals and Twins, while in addition to the Indians we get the Angels and Rays, who are fighting for their wild card lives.

I'm hoping that the Rays will be out of it and playing AAA players by the time we get to them. There's a decent chance of that.

Nice easy win today. Let's win tomorrow and create some breathing room.

cards press box
09-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice win and great series!

:winner

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
strange stat about the sox ... 2nd in all of baseball in HRs ... 2nd to last in doubles ... can we thank the nutritionist?USCF plays really small. Lots of balls which would be doubles in other parks (or even flyouts) end up going over the fence.

Chez
09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I know it has been only two games, but our line-up looks so much better with Dunn batting third (and not D. Wise). Given how bad De Aza looked on Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me if Robin goes with Wise in CF for a while.

I was happy to see Humber get the side out in order in the bottom of the 9th. He hadn't pitched since the Twins shelled him the Tuesday after Labor Day. He seems like a good guy and I'd like to see him bounce back and finish the year strong.

jdm2662
09-16-2012, 08:13 PM
USCF plays really small. Lots of balls which would be doubles in other parks (or even flyouts) end up going over the fence.

Also to add, the ballpark has very short gaps. Lots of balls that could be doubles get cut off because of it. In contrast, Minnesota, Detroit, and KC have much larger gaps so more doubles are hit in those stadiums.

johnnyg83
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
USCF plays really small. Lots of balls which would be doubles in other parks (or even flyouts) end up going over the fence.

Yes ... 69 HRs on the road (not sure if the mlb.com stat is through today or yesterday) vs. 113 at home

johnnyg83
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
ANother strange one ...

Addison Reed has an ERA of almost 3 runs less ON THE ROAD than he does at home. 6.21 vs. 3.22.

Hey, Robin!

jdm2662
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM

I didn't see the game, but I'm going to guess he didn't have much. That's not uncommon for a guy getting that much work in a row. Good. The Sox's main bullpen guys got the day off today.

LITTLE NELL
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm hoping that the Rays will be out of it and playing AAA players by the time we get to them. There's a decent chance of that.

Nice easy win today. Let's win tomorrow and create some breathing room.

We did sweep them earlier in the year in TB but you are right, this series has scared me all year, lets hope we have a nice cushion or they are out of it. And for God's sake lets beat KC, I'm sick of losing games to these guys.

johnnyg83
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Beckham .333 in September ...

Frater Perdurabo
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM

The telecast also showed that he's well over .300 with RISP since June.

doublem23
09-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Can we get some people to admit that Adam Dunn is a little more important to this offense than they give him credit?

fram40
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Can we get some people to admit that Adam Dunn is a little more important to this offense than they give him credit?

do I have to like Jake Peavy too?

SephClone89
09-16-2012, 08:50 PM

The Beckham September mirage strikes again.

doublem23
09-16-2012, 09:00 PM
do I have to like Jake Peavy too?

I don't care if you like anyone, so long as you give guys the credit they're due

DumpJerry
09-16-2012, 09:12 PM
So those aren't hits or that's not Beckham we see at bat, but a Body Snatcher instead?

Please explain the use of the word "mirage" since it generally means a visual that does not exist.

Noneck
09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
I assume that tomorrow the Sox play without Youkilis. Rosh Hashanah.

DonnieDarko
09-16-2012, 09:14 PM

...oh man, that's going to suck. Who plays 3B, then? Lopez? Or (*puke*) Olmedo?

SephClone89
09-16-2012, 09:15 PM
So those aren't hits or that's not Beckham we see at bat, but a Body Snatcher instead?

Please explain the use of the word "mirage" since it generally means a visual that does not exist.

Exactly.

It was just a stupid reference to the fact that it seems like the last three years we've gotten excited about Beckham "starting to come around" late in the season.

Noneck
09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
...oh man, that's going to suck. Who plays 3B, then? Lopez? Or (*puke*) Olmedo?

I'd play Hudson.

LITTLE NELL
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM

This article at the end says Youk will play but Stoney is taking it off.
By the way has anybody noticed that
Hawk does not call Steve ''Stone Pony" anymore?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0917-white-sox-bits--20120917,0,900086.story

fram40
09-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't care if you like anyone, so long as you give guys the credit they're due

I have never been negative towards Dunn on this board but I have never been a fan of three outcome guys such as Dunn. One would have to be willfully ignorant to fail to see what Adam Dunn brings to the lineup.

Looking for to a big finish from Dunn, Beckham, and the Sox.

Noneck
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
This article at the end says Youk will play but Stoney is taking it off.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-0917-white-sox-bits--20120917,0,900086.story

Thats good news on Youkilis. Harrelson hasnt called him that in quite some time, on occasion he will call him stevie tho.

FielderJones
09-16-2012, 09:35 PM

I think that started at the beginning of this year. Also, when Steve turns the play-by-play over at the beginning of the game, he turns it over to "Ken" Harrelson. I guess they decided to go more formal this year.

Also, that should be "Stone Poney".
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/39939345.jpg

russ99
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
I have never been negative towards Dunn on this board but I have never been a fan of three outcome guys such as Dunn. One would have to be willfully ignorant to fail to see what Adam Dunn brings to the lineup.

Looking for to a big finish from Dunn, Beckham, and the Sox.

I'm hopeful that when the Sox sign major FA's in the future, they go after more fully-rounded players. There's no mistaking that Dunn is very good at getting on base, hitting homers and driving in runs, and in that aspect, the Sox got what they payed for.

I cheer for Dunn, like any other Sox player, and I'm glad that he's improved this season, but I wonder if we're not going to have financial flexibility to improve the roster until we're free of his contract.

tstrike2000
09-16-2012, 10:28 PM
A sweep this weekend was almost a prerequisite after the way the Sox have played the last three weeks or so. With no Metrodome and no real supporting cast thanks to Mauer's massive contract, this Twins team is garbage. As great as it is to have the Sox in first place and something to play for in September, let's win this. It would be like a really good movie with a disappointing ending at this point if they end up not winning the division. I hope they take out the Tiggers tomorrow and sweep KC. With three at KC, three at LAAA, and four coming up against Tampa Bay, it's not going to be easy.

fram40
09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
A sweep this weekend was almost a prerequisite after the way the Sox have played the last three weeks or so. With no Metrodome and no real supporting cast thanks to Mauer's massive contract, this Twins team is garbage. As great as it is to have the Sox in first place and something to play for in September, let's win this. It would be like a really good movie with a disappointing ending at this point if they end up not winning the division. I hope they take out the Tiggers tomorrow and sweep KC. With three at KC, three at LAAA, and four coming up against Tampa Bay, it's not going to be easy.

One game at a time. Let's win Monday vs Detroit. A good strong outing from Quintana, a few clutch hits, and one bomb.

And a three game game lead tomorrow night.

JB98
09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
The Twins are crappy. They are perpetual losers.

I remember back in May the Sox lost their first game against Minnesota. We were subjected to a bunch of posts about how the Sox are the Twins' "bitches." Well, who is the bitch now? I'd say it is Gardenhire. He should be fired and replaced by Terry Bevington.

:dtroll:

The Immigrant
09-16-2012, 10:59 PM
Well, who is the bitch now? I'd say it is Gardenhire. He should be fired and replaced by Terry Bevington.

I'm sure Gardenhire could find work as an extra in the Hobbit movie.

Good lord, it feels good to knock the snot out of those bastards. Bud should have contracted them when he had a chance.

TheOldRoman
09-16-2012, 11:05 PM

I remember back in May the Sox lost their first game against Minnesota. We were subjected to a bunch of posts about how the Sox are the Twins' "bitches." Well, who is the bitch now? I'd say it is Gardenhire. He should be fired and replaced by Terry Bevington.

:dtroll:You know, Timberwolf might actually go for that.

WisSoxFan
09-16-2012, 11:22 PM
A question and a few thoughts.

What kind of crowd do you think the Sox will have tomorrow? With it being an unscheduled day game I would think it's not going to be very large. Hope I'm wrong. Wish I lived closer because I would go.

Glad it's an afternoon game however. It will be nice to watch it without having to fight with my kids for the TV. Being self employed has it's advantages some days. :D:

I'm really looking forward to the game. I think the Sox are going to rake tomorrow and get a huge win as they head out on the road. September baseball is fun!

For those that are going - be loud and have a great day! I wish I could be there!

doublem23
09-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm hopeful that when the Sox sign major FA's in the future, they go after more fully-rounded players. There's no mistaking that Dunn is very good at getting on base, hitting homers and driving in runs, and in that aspect, the Sox got what they payed for.

I cheer for Dunn, like any other Sox player, and I'm glad that he's improved this season, but I wonder if we're not going to have financial flexibility to improve the roster until we're free of his contract.

Oh, please, the Sox can shed $30 million of payroll they entered the season with this off-season, not including mid-season acquisitions Youk, Myers, and Liriano, all of whom can be FA if the Sox decline all available options.

I know people hate to give KW credit, but he's actually done a very nice job building this roster. Another $23.5 M can come off the books after 2013 and Dunn and Rios are both potential FA after 2014, the two of them alone will have made $27 M in that season. Very good spacing on the contracts.

slavko
09-17-2012, 12:23 AM

If it was Brent Morel, it would be attributed to September callup pitchers. Either it is or it isn't for both of them. Ya got me.

I know people hate to give KW credit, but he's actually done a very nice job building this roster. Another $23.5 M can come off the books after 2013 and Dunn and Rios are both potential FA after 2014, the two of them alone will have made $27 M in that season. Very good spacing on the contracts.

Laddered maturities is what we call that in the Bond Market. Or dumb luck.

johnnyg83
09-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Who gives a ****? We need a 2B to hit NOW. The RBIs he knocks in and hits he get count. What sort of person gets snarky when a guy helps you in the pennant race?

Liriano today? Phantom. Thornton lately? Apparition. Dunn in the last two days? Buncha baloney. (please note sarcasm).

Foulke You
09-17-2012, 02:16 AM

:dtroll:

Besides the dreadful Minnesota starting pitching and the lack of "Metrodome Hits", the biggest difference in the Sox dominating the Twins this year is the absence of Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel. Those two made their careers killing the Sox and now they are in the NL far away from our pitching staff . The Twins are really bad and look years away from being contenders again. I can't say I feel bad for them at all though. I just hope they have a little more fight in them when they face Detroit later this month.

RadioheadRocks
09-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Besides the dreadful Minnesota starting pitching and the lack of "Metrodome Hits", the biggest difference in the Sox dominating the Twins this year is the absence of Michael Cuddyer and Jason Kubel. Those two made their careers killing the Sox and now they are in the NL far away from our pitching staff . The Twins are really bad and look years away from being contenders again. I can't say I feel bad for them at all though. I just hope they have a little more fight in them when they face Detroit later this month.

Not to mention the absence of Nick Mother****ing Punto.

DonnieDarko
09-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Not to mention the absence of Nick Mother****ing Punto.

A-****ing-men.

The Immigrant
09-17-2012, 08:39 AM
JB, here's an absolute must-read for you: http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/9/17/3344926/white-sox-turn-tables-on-twins-make-history#storyjump

Here's the highlight: "The White Sox beat the Twins more times in 2012 than in any other single season of the Twins' 51-year history. And they had games to spare!"

TomBradley72
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM

He's our #2 hitter over the past 30 days- hitting .304. Also #2 among regulars in OPS and OBP (behind Dunn), tiedm for 4th in RBIs (w/PK).

He just turned 26- and seems to have made some adjustments- last year he hit .218 in September, and he hit .188 in September of 2010- so not sure exactly what is "striking again".

kittle42
09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
last year he hit .218 in September, and he hit .188 in September of 2010- so not sure exactly what is "striking again".

Facts! My eyes!

hawkjt
09-17-2012, 11:29 AM
If somehow Tank got hot (1 for 17 going into yesterday) and got in a streak like he had in June,it would be huge difference-maker. Please,please....get hot Tank!

Same with Dunn. Maybe with the oblique,he is taking a little measured swings,and the result was the oppo grounder rbi hit...nice.

Hawk used to always say..''I love to watch Ray run'' when Durham went for triples....now I always say...''I love watching Alex run''. He has to be the most graceful chicago baseball player in pretty much forever. Graceful swing,and runner. Just saying. 8 Triples!!! wow.

Sox need the bats to get hot for two weeks, to clinch this deal....and for the rotation to have a couple of good spins like the last time thru.

September baseball....pennant races...oh my!

russ99
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Oh, please, the Sox can shed $30 million of payroll they entered the season with this off-season, not including mid-season acquisitions Youk, Myers, and Liriano, all of whom can be FA if the Sox decline all available options.

All very good points, but we still have to replace those players coming off the books, and we have a good amount of rookies already on the roster.

My biggest concern is if Jerry wlll significantly cut payroll again, due to attendance issues that are partially self-inflicted. Hopefully a good playoff run will preclude that.