PDA

View Full Version : an idea or two

oldcomiskey
08-08-2001, 07:02 PM
First let me say that when I start to think this way, Im not abandoning ship--just getting a little seasick---
What to do about Durham??--Am here is where my own ignorance shows--but I believe hitless was signed to a 3 year deal...And that means more ABs get taken away from manos and milk...so do you trade Durham for a good lefty and put Jose there, or do you trade Milk for a decent righty and put Manos there.. I do not want to trade either but they have more value than Clayton...but then so does my ex wife
What to do about the other Jose.. Do you trade---- and God I hate this idea--not because I dislike Canseco but because if we keep him it will force a player out of position---Singleton and move Magglio to CF and Canseco to RF--which I dont want because now you have 2 people out of position..Do you trade Perry and move PK to 3rd--which I hate worse---and move Frank to 1B...Or do you trade Canseco or just not resign him..
What to do about Boomer---he will help if healthy and a rotation of Boomer, Parque, Buerhle, Garland and Glover or any 2 others will be good....

Just thinking thats all

Jerry_Manuel
08-08-2001, 07:09 PM
but I believe hitless was signed to a 3 year deal...

Nope when we traded for him he had 2 years left on his contract at 4.5 million dollars per year. So we have him for this year and next year unless we trade him.

Tragg
08-08-2001, 07:09 PM
The option on boomer is, what, 8 million next year. We won't pick that up; actually, no one will pay close to that for him.

All this movement that makes our bad defense even worse doesn't do much for me. We very well may have to trade konerko or someone of that caliber. maybe a young pitcher. so be it. We need to get better.
Singleton's obviously someone to trade, but he brings little, if anything, in return.

Daver
08-08-2001, 07:13 PM
I seriously doubt that D.Wells option will be picked up.As for Canseco,if the Sox re-sign him and put him on the feild with a glove on then they will prove to me that they have no clue in evaluating talent,and I think Ray is just having an off year at the plate,it happens.I do not think Perry will return unless Crede is having huge problems in AAA.But then again what the hell do I know.

oldcomiskey
08-08-2001, 07:18 PM
I agree in part to your opinion of canseco--as a DH--he is fine---but then what happens to Frank and PK

Daver
08-08-2001, 07:22 PM
Frank's rehab is not exactly going well from what I have read,so will he be ready and able come spring?Canseco can give you some insurance towards that if the price is right.

Tragg
08-08-2001, 09:22 PM
The problem with conseco is he's yet another homer or bust type player. And he is past his prime. Pretty much now he hits bad pitchers - and, overall, he's still okay. But he's not in frank's league as a hitter and with him as DH, we are no better than middle of the pack at DH in the league (with Frank, we are #1).

voodoochile
08-08-2001, 09:46 PM
Jose won't come cheap enough IMO for us to afford him. His performance this secod half will probably earn him a 3 million offer or more... Maybe as high as 5 if he really gets hot (please do it soon real, real soon...). The Sox in no way will be able to pay that much for insurance for Frank, besides, if worse comes to worse and Frank can't play, you can move Lee to DH, put Leifer in left (or vice versa), or call up Borchard to play left and leave Rowand in center. Leifer shows the ability to be a 35-40 HR .250 (maybe) hitter. That is all you would realistically expect from Canseco, so Jose probably won't be back.

I may be in the minority around here, but I would be all for offering Boomer an Eldred type deal (incentive laden $1 million base). If he comes back at any time next year, he would be a plus, if not he still can help the young pitchers... Maybe that is why Kip stinks recently. He can't talk to Boomer anymore... Probably not, but who knows...

Daver
08-08-2001, 09:55 PM
I think the Yanks will sign Boomer as soon as he is available,and I don't think we will see Borchard next year,he has way to many K's in AA to think he will be able to go against MLB pitching.
But then again what the hell do I know.

MarqSox
08-08-2001, 10:08 PM
:KW
I said last month we wouldn't be picking up Boomer's option. But then again, I said last month that we'd be acquiring a top-notch pitcher when it turned out we got a 32-year-old outfielder. See how sneaky I am? I gotta keep y'all on your toes. I'm the king of bluffs!