PDA

View Full Version : Marinez Added

Lip Man 1
09-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Now Robin...PLEASE don't use this guy in a game situation O.K.?????????

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-add-more-relief-with-marinez-20120914,0,1218453.story

Lip

shingo10
09-14-2012, 03:19 PM
At some point though what is he (or any other manager) supposed to do?

Trot out Crain and Thornton every night? They haven't been close to great either.

I know now is not the time for reflection but when we look back at how many rookies we had in the pen and what we had to work with...well I think we will all be amazed that we spent most of the year in first place.

A. Cavatica
09-14-2012, 03:31 PM
> I think we will all be amazed that we spent most of the year in first place.

I already am. This team has nothing to be ashamed of, even if we are eventually overtaken by Detroit.

enurb
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-add-more-relief-with-marinez-20120914,0,1218453.story

Lip

Amen.

enurb
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
> I think we will all be amazed that we spent most of the year in first place.

I already am. This team has nothing to be ashamed of, even if we are eventually overtaken by Detroit.

I respectfully don't agree. If we're overtaken by Detroit I will give the Sox one of my daughter's AYSO "Participant" trophies.

kittle42
09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I respectfully don't agree. If we're overtaken by Detroit I will give the Sox one of my daughter's AYSO "Participant" trophies.

Yup. No style points for being in a terrible division and losing at the last to the team you were ahead of for the majority of the season.

JB98
09-14-2012, 08:34 PM
At some point though what is he (or any other manager) supposed to do?

Trot out Crain and Thornton every night? They haven't been close to great either.

I know now is not the time for reflection but when we look back at how many rookies we had in the pen and what we had to work with...well I think we will all be amazed that we spent most of the year in first place.

As a matter of fact, yes, that's what you do. Crain, Thornton and Myers are paid millions to pitch the seventh and eighth innings.

You go with the guys you've gone with all year and live with the results.

voodoochile
09-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Yup. No style points for being in a terrible division and losing at the last to the team you were ahead of for the majority of the season.

Won't change the fact that for the last 6 months the Sox will have given us all a ton of enjoyment. Isn't that why we watch?

Lip Man 1
09-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Voodoo:

Yes and no. I watch because they are "my" team, I also expect them to win. Can't speak for anybody else but my enjoyment comes from winning, the entertainment and the effort are all secondary to the bottom line.

You play the game to win, they keep score to win.

Lip

TDog
09-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Won't change the fact that for the last 6 months the Sox will have given us all a ton of enjoyment. Isn't that why we watch?

I agree. But that doesn't mean that many of the same people who were whining in the offseason that the White Sox wouldn't be worth wasting time on this season won't be complaining if the Sox don't finish ahead of the team they were certain would run away with the division.

voodoochile
09-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Voodoo:

Yes and no. I watch because they are "my" team, I also expect them to win. Can't speak for anybody else but my enjoyment comes from winning, the entertainment and the effort are all secondary to the bottom line.

You play the game to win, they keep score to win.

Lip

Well I understand that and will appreciate this season much more when they make the playoffs, but they've put a smile on my face for the last 5 months (or most of it). Now as entertainment, that's pretty good bang for the buck no matter how much you spend. We go to movies, watch sports, listen to music, etc. because it entertains us. From that perspective it's already been a good season. Hopefully it turns into a great one...

Lip Man 1
09-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Voodoo:

I understand where you're coming from and can appreciate that sentiment.

No worries.

Lip

hawkjt
09-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Lip

Why? He has 9 consecutive scoreless appearances...he had a scoreless appearance in his only action with the Sox...maybe he is in a groove?

I will trust Coop and Robin to assess whether he can handle a pressure situation. Jenks seemed to be ok in those situations when he was called up in 2005.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2012, 03:11 PM
You dance with the folks who brought you.

Scoreless appearances in Triple A mean little to nothing at the major league level.

You are paying big money to guys like Thornton, Crain, Myers... Jones and Reed have been solid all season. You win or lose with the guys who put you into this position in the first place.

Lip