PDA

View Full Version : *Official* We Just Got Beat Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
09-11-2012, 10:27 PM
Wish things could have gone better, but we didn't expect a sweep.

Soxman219
09-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I hate Valverde with the power of a thousand suns.

JB98
STOP BUNTING!

That's not who the White Sox are as a team. Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses, Robin.

guillensdisciple
All I have to say is bunt in the eighth. That's
Where the game ended.

The Immigrant
Wish Paulie did something more with that hanging slider in the 8th.

TheOldRoman
09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Fisted by Fister.:angry:

The offense was terrible, Robin made a bad call putting up the bunt sign in the eighth, and although Peavy wasn't terrible, he wasn't good. That was not an ace performance. 5.2 innings and three runs would have been acceptable from Quintana, but that is bad for Peavy. An ace gives you at least six innings. Because we had to cover 3.1 innings with the bullpen, guys pitched who shouldn't have and we gave up two extra runs.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
STOP BUNTING!

That's not who the White Sox are as a team. Play to your strengths, not your weaknesses, Robin.

This.

And before everyone says, "Wise and Konerko should share blame," no one denies that - it is the one play - the bunt in the Youkilis bat - that isolated by itself is a terrible ****ing call.

I'll go as far as to say it's a bad idea even if it's successful.

hoosiersoxfan
09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I still don't understand why Robin brought in Liriano down 1 in the 8th either. Go with a reliever that has experience pitching in those situations there.

tony1972
All I have to say is bunt in the eighth. That's
Where the game ended.

When I see a call for a sac bunt..I know I can turn the TV off and turn it back on an hour later and 19 times out of 20..we lost.

Kills momentum..absolutely destroys it..

voodoochile
It's all good...

:supernana: :supernana:

guillensdisciple
Not good considering who we're facing
The next two games.

I really hope the sox win at least one more.

Soxman219
Wish Paulie did something more with that hanging slider in the 8th.

I have never seen Paulie get a big hit. Ever.

WhiteSox5187
This.

And before everyone says, "Wise and Konerko should share blame," no one denies that - it is the one play - the bunt in the Youkilis bat - that isolated by itself is a terrible ****ing call.

I'll go as far as to say it's a bad idea even if it's successful.

Trying to bunt there was a bad idea but I wasn't a big fan of having Liriano coming there to start the eighth.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Ventura's been managing lately like a guy who never coached anything at a professional level before this job in his whole life!

Oh, wait...

doublem23
I still don't understand why Robin brought in Liriano down 1 in the 8th either. Go with a reliever that has experience pitching in those situations there.

Liriano does have experience pitching out of the bullpen

whitesoxfan1986
Did anyone else with DirecTV in Chicago area get blacked out of the game today?
So glad I didnt get to see this crap.

guillensdisciple

Game two of 05 world series begs to differ,

Huisj
This isn't to imply that Viciedo lost the game or anything, but he really seems bad right now. He always seems to be behind in the count and has no clue.

Since June 1: .231/.279/.371. That's not helping the offense a bit.

And Liriano's appearance tonight still has me puzzled. What in the world was that first pitch he threw?

kittle42
09-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Trying to bunt there was a bad idea but I wasn't a big fan of having Liriano coming there to start the eighth.

Oh, that stunk, too.

This isn't even hindsight on either thing. I think the gamethread universally trashed both decisions before anything happened.

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Surely that was supposed to be teal.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 10:33 PM

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Soxman219

I heard it on the radio, I have never SEEN him get a clutch hit late in a game.

guillensdisciple
Oh, that stunk, too.

This isn't even hindsight on either thing. I think the gamethread universally trashed both decisions before anything happened.

I think we knew the outcome because robin has been doing this a lot in the past week, and I don' get why considering he has rarely done it in the past.

thomas35forever
09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I didn't understand that either. I get where Robin was coming from, but you don't know what Liriano can bring out of the 'pen. Now is not the time for experimenting. When you're playing your trailer in a pennant race, you gotta stick with what you know will work. You can't afford to roll the dice much, particularly when the game is close.

And as I type that, I realize everyone is right on the Youkilis bunt attempt.

JasonFrasor54
The key was that 8th inning, no outs and 2 on. We have to win tomorrow, a split would be a big victory in my book. (because Verlander is Thursday)

guillensdisciple

Ohhhhhh,

Me either, he sucks.

tony1972
Ventura's been managing lately like a guy who never coached anything at a professional level before this job in his whole life!

Oh, wait...

I normally do not blame the manager for a loss..it is on the players..but these calls for sac bunts lately..my opinion of Robin has really fallen.

ChiSoxGal85
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Did anyone else with DirecTV in Chicago area get blacked out of the game today?
So glad I didnt get to see this crap.
No blackout here. Kinda wished I had been blacked out, though.

Lip Man 1
Big game, huge opportunity...Peavy falls flat (again...) He talks a great game though.

Good thing the Sox didn't give up much for Liriano, the job he did tonight ended any chance of a Sox comeback.

The Sox better figure out a way to score runs without hitting a home run because they probably aren't going to be hitting many the next two days.

Had a chance to really put the bulls-eye on Detroit's back with a win, couldn't get it done. It's going to be a LOT harder to get one the next two days. The Tigers have got to be feeling great right now.

Like I said last night, at least they won't get swept.

5-11 vs. Detroit this year.

Lip

cv sox fan
Out managed again.Why pitch to caberra with two outs? Youk bunting even thou he is not hitting lately.Tank looks lost @ dh maybe let Flowers or Hudson hit in 9th

kittle42

Oh, god, you were being serious.

Soxman219
Ohhhhhh,

Me either, he sucks.

Relax I'm kidding.

Seriously though, it been a while. He had a hanging slider begging to get hit outta the park and did nothing with it.

Brian26
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM

He walked off Mariano Rivera once. Did you listen to that on the radio too? I guess this conversation could go on forever...

Relax I'm kidding.

:D:

WhiteSox5187
I normally do not blame the manager for a loss..it is on the players..but these calls for sac bunts lately..my opinion of Robin has really fallen.

The sac bunt call there and the bullpen management hurt in this game. Robin has been a bit shaky in both of those areas of late.

Soxman219
Oh, god, you were being serious.

See my other post.

amsteel
09-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Kevin Youkilis has zero career sacrifice bunts.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/youklke01-bat.shtml

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Relax I'm kidding.

Seriously though, it been a while. He had a hanging slider begging to get hit outta the park and did nothing with it.

I think he's pretty banged up right now. He went from being able to turn around anyone's fastball to being unable to do anything with a hanging breaking ball. That wrist procedure he had back in June has plagued his season.

guillensdisciple
Another thing that doublem helped me clarify in the thread.

Peavy has a 2.5 era with flowers as his catcher and a 3.6 with AJ. I don't know what would have happened, but it is obvious that he does better with Flowers but Robin has been sticking with AJ exclusively lately even though we have the dh open.

I would do anything to give my pitcher a better chance because that's what wins games:

kittle42
The sac bunt call there and the bullpen management hurt in this game. Robin has been a bit shaky in both of those areas of late.

Well, I wouldn't expect a kid who's a first year law student to successfully try a high-profile criminal case, but that's basically what the Sox did when they hired Robin.

Soxman219
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
So, who believes Floyd will give us a great game tomorrow?

tstrike2000
Besides some of the overmanaging and walking opposing hitters like it's going out of style, we fall into those ruts of not manufacturing runs. Last night and tonight, especially, we had to rely on the longball.

guillensdisciple
Relax I'm kidding.

I know, I played along.

Mohoney
09-11-2012, 10:40 PM

The offense was terrible, Robin made a bad call putting up the bunt sign in the eighth, and although Peavy wasn't terrible, he wasn't good. That was not an ace performance. 5.2 innings and three runs would have been acceptable from Quintana, but that is bad for Peavy. An ace gives you at least six innings. Because we had to cover 3.1 innings with the bullpen, guys pitched who shouldn't have and we gave up two extra runs.

Considering the amount of times that this offense has screwed Peavy over this season, I'm hesitant to lay this loss at his feet.

5 innings of nothing against Doug Fister made Peavy's bad pitches a moot point anyway.

Brian26
Youk's limping to the finish line. It's even more evident on defense. Watch his ability to move to his left (to the right on the screen). Anything not within three feet of him and he does that little slide move where he falls down, and everyone watches the ball go through the hole because Alexei can't get to it.

thomas35forever
He'll need one if we're to have a chance. The damage needs to be minimal.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Youk's limping to the finish line. It's even more evident on defense. Watch his ability to move to his left (to the right on the screen). Anything not within three feet of him and he does that little slide move where he falls down, and everyone watches the ball go through the hole because Alexei can't get to it.

Good call.

Hitmen77
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM

The Sox record vs. the Tigers in games Peavy started this year: 1-5. That's brutal. Not exactly "ace" or "stopper" results.

He wasn't terrible tonight, but he couldn't make it out of the 6th inning. I guess he's no Doug Fister.

We could have had the Tigers on the ropes by beating them tonight. Now, they look to be in good shape to take the next two games and win the series with Scherzer and Verlander pitching.

Crooked Number
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Great post. I honestly do not know. What I do know: The Liriano pen call, the bunt call, De Aza barely missing that diving catch (which he probably makes most of the time) and Rios' stealing of 2nd which enabled Peralta to field a rocket up the middle by AJ all happened within 2 innings and proved to be agonizing.

Frustrating game. Gavin has the ability. If the Sox can scratch out a win tomorrow it puts them in a much, much better position going into Thursday.

Soxman219
09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Great post. I honestly do not know. What I do know: The Liriano pen call, the bunt call, De Aza barely missing that diving catch (which he probably makes most of the time) and Rios' stealing of 2nd which enabled Peralta to field a rocket up the middle by AJ all happened within 2 innings and proved to be agonizing.

Frustrating game. Gavin has the ability. If the Sox can scratch out a win tomorrow it puts them in a much, much better position going into Thursday.

Hasn't Floyd done historically well against Detroit? If that's the case, then that's what I'm relying on.

Hitmen77
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM

Oh, wait...

:KW
To be honest, I really didn't expect us to be anywhere close to 1st place this year and we could spend 2012 giving Robin on the job training.

Boondock Saint
09-11-2012, 10:50 PM
The Sox record vs. the Tigers in games Peavy started this year: 1-5. That's brutal. Not exactly "ace" or "stopper" results.

He wasn't terrible tonight, but he couldn't make it out of the 6th inning. I guess he's no Doug Fister.

We could have had the Tigers on the ropes by beating them tonight. Now, they look to be in good shape to take the next two games and win the series with Scherzer and Verlander pitching.

The entire team's been brutal against the Tigers this year. It's foolish to put it all on one guy.

Boondock Saint
09-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Hasn't Floyd done historically well against Detroit? If that's the case, then that's what I'm relying on.

I don't like the idea of him coming back against such a dangerous team. If he's even a little rusty or off, we could be in trouble.

JB98
09-11-2012, 10:53 PM

7-2 with a 3.42 ERA in 19 career starts.

TheOldRoman
09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Considering the amount of times that this offense has screwed Peavy over this season, I'm hesitant to lay this loss at his feet.

5 innings of nothing against Doug Fister made Peavy's bad pitches a moot point anyway.He isn't solely responsible, no. He kept the Sox in the game. But it's frustrating to see him labor once again, have 8 pitch at-bats after starting 0-2, and be at 100 pitches in the fifth inning. Meanwhile, the Sox offense, which is better than Detroit's statistically, did nearly nothing off Fister, who is not at good a pitcher as Peavy, and generally did so in 4 pitches or fewer per AB.

amsteel
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
:KW
To be honest, I really didn't expect us to be anywhere close to 1st place this year and we could spend 2012 giving Robin on the job training.

I 100% think that if the brain-trust thought this team was gonna be in the ALC mix in September Ventura would not be the manager. He was hired to sell tickets to a disenfranchised fan base.

russ99
09-11-2012, 10:57 PM

The sac bunts don't bother me. We scratched out only two hits (both solo homers) up to that point. He was trying to make something happen with the heart of the order coming up.

I know many of you have some deep-seeded hatred of bunting because of Ozzie overusing it at times, but it's an accepted strategy. Leland called for a sac bunt tonight too and it was successful because Youkilis can't run. The same thing should go for Cabrera...

Sucks that these guys can't execute at the plate at all except occasionally for the wild home run swings. Two sets of managers and hitting coaches with the same results means we need better overall hitters, not 3-4 near automatic outs each time through the lineup.

My only gripe with Robin is his "musical bullpen" act that's exponentially getting worse as we move through the season. Give these guys roles and stick to them, and they can prepare to do their job. Putting Liriano in close and late when he's rarely (if ever) performed at that role is setting guys up to fail.

If Veal can get Fielder out, he can get Delmon Young out, no need to waste another reliever for one batter, when he would have done a vastly better job than Liriano. Also, when a guy ends an inning, let another guy start fresh, not keep the other guy in to come in cold off the bench. I though Cooper would know better than this.

JB98
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
The sac bunts don't bother me. We scratched out only two hits (both solo homers) up to that point. He was trying to make something happen with the heart of the order coming up.

I know many of you have some deep-seeded hatred of bunting because of Ozzie, but it's an accepted strategy. Leland called for a sac bunt tonight too and it was successful because Youkilis can't run. The same thing should go for Cabrera...

Sucks that these guys can't execute at the plate at all except occasionally for the wild home run swings. Two sets of managers and hitting coaches with the same results means we need better overall hitters, not 3-4 near automatic outs each time through the lineup.

My only gripe with Robin is his "musical bullpen" act that's exponentially getting worse as we move through the season. Give these guys roles and stick to them, and they can prepare to do their job. Putting Liriano in close and late when he's rarely (if ever) performed at that role is setting guys up to fail.

If Veal can get Fielder out, he can get Delmon Young out, no need to waste another reliever for one batter, when he would have done a vastly better job than Liriano. Also, when a guy ends an inning, let another guy start fresh, not keep the other guy in to come in cold off the bench. I though Cooper would know better than this.

I thought that was a TERRIBLE move by Leyland. It took the bat out of Cabrera's hands and allowed Ventura to bring in a LOOGY to face Fielder.

Leyland killed his own rally in the seventh much the way Ventura killed the Sox rally in the eighth.

Brutal managing by both guys.

Boondock Saint
I know many of you have some deep-seeded hatred of bunting because of Ozzie, but it's an accepted strategy.

Oh give it a rest already. It's been said a hundred million times now (you'd think that the people who keep saying we "just hate bunting" would understand it by now), the strategy itself is fine. It's the fact that it's been improperly used seemingly ad infinitum over the course of the last few years that pisses us off. You don't ask it of someone who's having a good day at the plate. You don't ask it of guys who can't do it. You don't ask it of guys who have never done it. You don't call for it when it's going to take the bat out of the hands of a good/hot hitter. It's not hard to understand.

PalehosePlanet

Jesse had to get 6 outs anyway; I definitely did not like bringing in Liriano in that situation. He's been a starter since May/June, no reason to throw him in there in a still winnable game.

Anyway, the slumping Tigers tried to give the game back to the Sox by leaving men on base; repeatedly giving momentum back to us; putting the tying runs on base w/no out in the 8th; playing ****ty defense in the 9th; but alas the slumping Sox would not take it from them.

We're playing tense right now and need a big inning or a late come-from-behind win to get hot again. I just hope we're not waiting until next year for our next hot streak.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I agree to a certain extent with Russ on his comment about needing better hitters in the lineup...that's very true.

When you've got guys like the Sox had in the early part of the new century all seemingly hitting . 310 with 30 home runs and 95 RBI's you've got a lot better chance than guys hitting .200 or .250 with 35 home runs and 85 RBI's.

High average hitters (see Cabrera, Fielder) turn the lineup up over more because they are getting hits at a better clip.

The problem is though it's very hard to put together a lineup like Ordonez, Thomas, Konerko, Lee etc. that doesn't happen very often...maybe for the Yankees but definitely not the White Sox.

And I find it ironic that Dunn who by all accounts is in much better shape this year and doesn't have a violent swing to me is hurt while Fielder whom most everyone thinks is overweight, out of shape with one of the most violent swings in baseball isn't.

Baseball is a funny game isn't it?

Lip

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Besides some of the overmanaging and walking opposing hitters like it's going out of style, we fall into those ruts of not manufacturing runs. Last night and tonight, especially, we had to rely on the longball.

I don't know if this team has manufactured a run all year.

cv sox fan
09-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Peavy is not our ace. he has come up short in big games down the stretch.Talks a lot about being an emotional guy just go out and win thats what you're paid big money to do.Have no faith in Floyd get ready bull pen.Our big bats are not coming thru.Please Robin rest tank tomorrow

russ99
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh give it a rest already. It's been said a hundred million times now (you'd think that the people who keep saying we "just hate bunting" would understand it by now), the strategy itself is fine. It's the fact that it's been improperly used seemingly ad infinitum over the course of the last few years that pisses us off. You don't ask it of someone who's having a good day at the plate. You don't ask it of guys who can't do it. You don't ask it of guys who have never done it. You don't call for it when it's going to take the bat out of the hands of a good/hot hitter. It's not hard to understand.

Perfectly understandable.

Just a bit peeved going to the game tonight on a perfect night and them laying an egg.

Also, not an excuse, but that ump was squeezing us like crazy. And I didn't see similar calls with the Sox up, but that's probably because of all the swinging at pitches out of the zone.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Since 2004 the numbers show the Sox have had a great deal of trouble in the second half of seasons (that is true numerically regardless of how you define 'second half'... games 82-162 or after the All Star Break...)

When all is said and done we'll see what the final numbers show but right now the Sox are a pedestrian 29-27 and have lost 10 of the last 15.

That's not the recipe to grab a division by the throat and march into October.

Lip

slavko
09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I 100% think that if the brain-trust thought this team was gonna be in the ALC mix in September Ventura would not be the manager. He was hired to sell tickets to a disenfranchised fan base.

See how well it worked? Nah, seriously I think you're wrong and you don't know, really. I'd have hired Ryne Sandberg. He'd sell tickets (to curious Cubs fans) and has proved he can manage. And Robin's done something right, unless 2 games up in September is meaningless.

If anyone reading this bought a ticket because Ventura was hired as manager, raise your hand.

JB98
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
Since 2004 the numbers show the Sox have had a great deal of trouble in the second half of seasons (that is true numerically regardless of how you define 'second half'... games 82-162 or after the All Star Break...)

When all is said and done we'll see what the final numbers show but right now the Sox are a pedestrian 29-27 and have lost 10 of the last 15.

That's not the recipe to grab a division by the throat and march into October.

Lip

I've offered this theory many times before, and I'll offer it again.

The Sox often have a very good roster when you look at players 1 through 15. That's why they are in the hunt more years than not.

Players 16-25 on the roster? Meh. Look at the guys the Sox have had on the bench this year, and look at some of the guys who have filled spots 9-12 on the pitching staff at different points during the season.

Robin has had to ride his best guys hard this year. I don't blame him for that. He's doing what he has to do in that regard. But veteran players sometimes wear out at the end of the year, or their performance suffers because of nagging injuries (Youkilis, Konerko).

I'm actually not that surprised the club is laboring lately. Fortunately, Detroit is much the same way. The Tigers have a top-heavy roster as well.

thomas35forever
09-11-2012, 11:21 PM
If anyone reading this bought a ticket because Ventura was hired as manager, raise your hand.

Does Mrs. Ventura count?

Boondock Saint
09-11-2012, 11:22 PM
Perfectly understandable.

Just a bit peeved going to the game tonight on a perfect night and them laying an egg.

Also, not an excuse, but that ump was squeezing us like crazy. And I didn't see similar calls with the Sox up, but that's probably because of all the swinging at pitches out of the zone.

I hear you. I was at the Twins massacre last week, and I'm sure I walked out of there feeling the same way as you did tonight.

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
This whole bunt thing ruined my night. If Ventura wanted to bunt so badly it wold have made far more sense to pinch hit Hudson.

The eighth inning tonight is my least favorite frame of the season. Brutal.

amsteel
09-11-2012, 11:44 PM
See how well it worked? Nah, seriously I think you're wrong and you don't know, really. I'd have hired Ryne Sandberg. He'd sell tickets (to curious Cubs fans) and has proved he can manage. And Robin's done something right, unless 2 games up in September is meaningless.

If they had promoted McEwing (or another, less recognizable name) to Manager there would have been no where near the same (decidedly small amount of) buzz around the team in March/April as there was. They went for a recognizable brand. Plus, they could have hired a hamster with a Sox hat and people would have liked it better than Guillen.

If anyone here bought a ticket because they though this team would be 2 games up on 9/11 raise your hand, because I need to get lotto numbers from you. He was hired from within because they knew a season ticket holder dropoff was coming and an old face would at least keep people mildly intrigued.

Lots of things have fallen into place over the last 5 months. I just think Ventura's total lack of experience could burn them.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2012, 11:55 PM
...I find it ironic that Dunn who by all accounts is in much better shape this year and doesn't have a violent swing to me is hurt while Fielder whom most everyone thinks is overweight, out of shape with one of the most violent swings in baseball isn't.

Baseball is a funny game isn't it?

Lip

1. Dunn hurt himself checking his swing, not swinging.
2. You can't pull fat.

voodoochile
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
Big game, huge opportunity...Peavy falls flat (again...) He talks a great game though.

Good thing the Sox didn't give up much for Liriano, the job he did tonight ended any chance of a Sox comeback.

The Sox better figure out a way to score runs without hitting a home run because they probably aren't going to be hitting many the next two days.

Had a chance to really put the bulls-eye on Detroit's back with a win, couldn't get it done. It's going to be a LOT harder to get one the next two days. The Tigers have got to be feeling great right now.

Like I said last night, at least they won't get swept.

5-11 vs. Detroit this year.

Lip

Peavy's fastball is maxing out at 91 and by the 4th he was lucky to crack 89. He pumped it up to 91 a few times after that but it looks like this is the Peavy we get. He's not the same pitcher he was prior to surgery or earlier this year. No shock he's wearing down at the end of the season in his first full year back after major reconstructive surgery. His location has to be perfect if this is as hard as he can throw. He was working the zone well tonight, just made a couple mistakes in the 5th.

JB98
09-12-2012, 12:08 AM
This whole bunt thing ruined my night. If Ventura wanted to bunt so badly it wold have made far more sense to pinch hit Hudson.

The eighth inning tonight is my least favorite frame of the season. Brutal.

No kidding. When the Sox got the three straight singles, I actually said aloud, "They're going to come back and win this thing."

Then, I saw the bunt was on with Youk and I knew the game was lost. It was like letting all the air out of the balloon.

Why do managers make moves like that? It's one thing to bunt with a guy like De Aza or a guy like Beckham, but Youk? If a guy isn't used to bunting, it's just not reasonable to think he can lay one down against a pitcher throwing 94 with movement.

Even though I know they work on bunts in batting practice, they aren't simulating Benoit's fastball in the cage.

Leyland made a dumb move by bunting with Dirks in the seventh, too. Nate Jones couldn't find the plate. Two straight walks. Then, the Tigers gave him an out and took the bat out of Cabrera's hands. My reaction was, "Thank you very much."

These kinds of moves actually decrease your odds of scoring, but managers still do it for some reason.

gosox41
09-12-2012, 12:37 AM

Oh, wait...

I agree about Ventura and the bunt call, but in is defense, this team is hitting a group of guys who weren't predicted to go to the playoffs.

Bob

Foulke You
09-12-2012, 01:21 AM
No kidding. When the Sox got the three straight singles, I actually said aloud, "They're going to come back and win this thing."

Then, I saw the bunt was on with Youk and I knew the game was lost. It was like letting all the air out of the balloon.

Why do managers make moves like that? It's one thing to bunt with a guy like De Aza or a guy like Beckham, but Youk? If a guy isn't used to bunting, it's just not reasonable to think he can lay one down against a pitcher throwing 94 with movement.

Even though I know they work on bunts in batting practice, they aren't simulating Benoit's fastball in the cage.

Leyland made a dumb move by bunting with Dirks in the seventh, too. Nate Jones couldn't find the plate. Two straight walks. Then, the Tigers gave him an out and took the bat out of Cabrera's hands. My reaction was, "Thank you very much."

These kinds of moves actually decrease your odds of scoring, but managers still do it for some reason.
You could just feel the energy leave the ballpark when Youk squared up there. I think Steve Stone also felt like it was a bad call but he didn't completely want to throw Robin under the bus so he mentioned how Youk had zero sacrifices this year with Boston and the White Sox. I really don't get why he did it. I have noticed that Robin seems to sacrifice more in games when the Sox are struggling to score runs though. Perhaps it is some misguided idea of trying to "make something happen" to spark the offense? Bunting with our HR hitting offense is a square peg in a round hole.

I'd also like to point out that the score was 5-3 when that bunt happened. The sac bunt there is a very conservative way to go after the Tigers when you are losing by 2 runs because you are only playing for a tie. Even if Wise lifts a fly ball, you only plate 1 run and there would be 2 outs. With a run producer, tough out, and clutch hitter like Youk at the plate, I would have been playing for the big inning and going for the lead. If he had hit into a DP there, so be it. I doubt anyone here would be saying "Man, they should have had Youk bunt in the 8th there to stay out of the DP". Here is hoping Robin has learned from this mistake and won't do that again in a big situation.

Dibbs
09-12-2012, 03:27 AM
Ventura's free pass is over with me. He is garbage. Picking up where Ozzie left off at this point.

kufram
09-12-2012, 06:54 AM
What a bunch of ship jumpers some posters are. Last week some posters were saying exactly the same sort of stuff about Quintana that some are saying about Peavy after last night. Peavy is not the same pitcher he was 4-5 years ago? Headline... no, he is not. Who is?

Peavy has been recognized by most people as one of the best pitchers in the league this year and has only been lacking in run support. Last night wasn't much different except his pitch count got up. He is not my favourite guy but his salary seems to bug people. People seem to make their mind up based on 2 or 3 appearances.

Now Konerko is a lost cause in some eyes and Ventura is Ozzie. Get a grip. The team that keeps its' nerve will win this.... thank God we don't need the fans to keep their nerve.

johnny bench
09-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Meanwhile, in the other dugout, a frustrated Detroit fanbase calls for Leyland to be fired (http://www.freep.com/article/20120912/COL08/309120146/Drew-Sharp-detroit-tigers-chicago-white-sox-bats-wake-up?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports) as he tries to get his players to relax and enjoy the pennant race, and calls out the importance of the Austin Jackson home run, while he also juggles his lineup (http://www.freep.com/article/20120912/SPORTS02/309120099/Tigers-lineup-critics-beware-Today-s-starting-nine-should-doozy) to face Floyd.

doublem23
09-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Ventura's free pass is over with me. He is garbage. Picking up where Ozzie left off at this point.

:rolling:

We've been in 1st place almost the entire summer

doublem23
09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know if this team has manufactured a run all year.

That's... a joke, right?

The Sox are tied for the best BA with RISP in the American League this season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats_lg.cgi?full=1&params=bases%7CRISP%7CAL%7C2012%7Cbat%7CAB%7C

doublem23
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM

1-0, 1.38 ERA in 2 starts vs. Detroit this season, too.

What a huge win tonight would be.

russ99
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
That's... a joke, right?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/split_stats_lg.cgi?full=1&params=bases%7CRISP%7CAL%7C2012%7Cbat%7CAB%7C

Yeah, I saw that too - but I'd be curious to see what those numbers look like this month, but I can't find team RISP monthly splits online anywhere.

SI1020
09-12-2012, 08:33 AM
In Ventura's first full season in MLB he went through an 0 for 41 slump and made 25 errors. His slash line was pretty weak. I'd say despite these humble beginnings he figured it out all right. I've been critical of some of his strategies like others here, but I don't forget what he has done well and differently from the recent past. As a manager Ventura is a work in progress and I'm optimistic that just like as a player, he will work out well.

Domeshot17
09-12-2012, 08:39 AM
I know it is hindsight, but this is why I wish Robin would hit Wise 2 and Youk 3 with Dunn out. I know Wise hit a homer earlier, but if we were set on bunting in the 8th, Wise puts it down, and then we give Youk and PK, our 2 best RBI men with Dunn out, a chance to drive the runs in.

asindc
09-12-2012, 08:39 AM
What a bunch of ship jumpers some posters are. Last week some posters were saying exactly the same sort of stuff about Quintana that some are saying about Peavy after last night. Peavy is not the same pitcher he was 4-5 years ago? Headline... no, he is not. Who is?

Peavy has been recognized by most people as one of the best pitchers in the league this year and has only been lacking in run support. Last night wasn't much different except his pitch count got up. He is not my favourite guy but his salary seems to bug people. People seem to make their mind up based on 2 or 3 appearances.

Now Konerko is a lost cause in some eyes and Ventura is Ozzie. Get a grip. The team that keeps its' nerve will win this.... thank God we don't need the fans to keep their nerve.

Amen to that.

LITTLE NELL
09-12-2012, 08:41 AM

:rolling:

We've been in 1st place almost the entire summer

Right now I give Robin a B. He is still in OJT mode and has had trouble with managing the bullpen, I wonder how much input Coop has with this.

As for being in first place for most of the summer, in any other division in the AL the Sox are golfing at playoff time. Right now they have the 7th best record in the AL. Lets not confuse the 2012 White Sox with the 1927 Yankees or even the 2005 Sox. I picked the Sox for 86 wins at the beginning of the season and hopefully they get to 88 which I think wins the division.

Domeshot17
09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Also, we have to earn it a bit now, which might be good. We put ourselves in a position where we HAVE to beat 1 of the 2 best pitchers on Detroit, and 2 of the top 4 or 5 pitchers in the AL Central. It might be a big boost to come out and beat Max tonight.

doublem23
09-12-2012, 08:43 AM

FWIW, read the last 2 game threads at Motown Sports, Tiger fans are just as unhinged as we are. Half of them wrote off last night's game after Wise's HR in the 1st inning.

Jerko
09-12-2012, 08:47 AM

Oh, wait...

Worse yet, he's managing lately like the guy that just left here. 8 pitchers in a 0-0 game? Closer in with a huge lead after pithing a few days in a row? Bunting with a guy that hasn't bunted all season? Aggravating.

doublem23
09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
As for being in first place for most of the summer, in any other division in the AL the Sox are golfing at playoff time. Right now they have the 7th best record in the AL. Lets not confuse the 2012 White Sox with the 1927 Yankees or even the 2005 Sox. I picked the Sox for 86 wins at the beginning of the season and hopefully they get to 88 which I think wins the division.

Well luckily all you have to do is win your own division, there have been plenty of Wild Card and teams that wouldn't have won any other division that have gone on deep playoff runs.

Also, take away the two biggest thorns in our sides within our division, Kansas City and Detoit, who the Sox are a collective 10-21 against, and their record is 66-44. That is a .600 winning percentage, which would be 3rd best in all of baseball behind only Washingon and Cincinnati.

Chez
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
For whatever reason, yesterday's loss didn't aggravate me as much as Friday's and Sunday's losses to KC.

Lots of good points raised in this thread (the decision to bring in Liriano, bullpen [over] management, Youk's limited range at third, having Youk attempt to bunt etc.). The decision to have Youk bunt didn't bother me that much because he has looked pretty bad at the plate his return. It's too bad he couldn't have executed -- that's what made me mad. Bad luck on the ball A.J. smoked up the middle in the 9th.

Win one of the next two and I'm satisfied (not happy, but satisfied). I think we have a better shot Thursday with Sale against Verlander than tonight.

Chez
09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
FWIW, read the last 2 game threads at Motown Sports, Tiger fans are just as unhinged as we are. Half of them wrote off last night's game after Wise's HR in the 1st inning.

Our old pal Oblong has gone insane over there -- calling Sox fans criminals, implying that many Sox fans were child molesters, and begging for a Tiger pitcher to bean A.J. and send him to the hospital with blood pouring from his ears. Seriously. Oblong seemed to be such a reasonable poster. I guess the pressure of a pennant race got to him.

LITTLE NELL
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Well luckily all you have to do is win your own division, there have been plenty of Wild Card and teams that wouldn't have won any other division that have gone on deep playoff runs.

Also, take away the two biggest thorns in our sides within our division, Kansas City and Detoit, who the Sox are a collective 10-21 against, and their record is 66-44. That is a .600 winning percentage, which would be 3rd best in all of baseball behind only Washingon and Cincinnati.

Nothing we can do about it, everybody plays 162 games and we can't take away the 10-21 against KC and Detroit. Don't forget going 2-6 against the Orioles but then this team plays like World Champions against Texas and the Yankees. It's been a very strange season.

TaylorStSox
09-12-2012, 09:13 AM
That ball AJ hit up the middle would have been a double play if Rios wasn't running. I don't care what Hawk says. Hell, Hawk started his homerun call on a ball that didn't even make the warning track by 10 or more feet last night.

Hitmen77
09-12-2012, 09:18 AM
Our old pal Oblong has gone insane over there -- calling Sox fans criminals, implying that many Sox fans were child molesters, and begging for a Tiger pitcher to bean A.J. and send him to the hospital with blood pouring from his ears. Seriously. Oblong seemed to be such a reasonable poster. I guess the pressure of a pennant race got to him.

Wow, I fully expect him to hate the Sox as much as we hate the Tigers, but considering that he's posted quite a few times here that seems a bit two-faced.

Interesting that he would ask a bunch of "criminals" for advice on where to stay when visiting Chicago.

doublem23
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
That ball AJ hit up the middle would have been a double play if Rios wasn't running. I don't care what Hawk says. Hell, Hawk started his homerun call on a ball that didn't even make the warning track by 10 or more feet last night.

That's what I thought, too, Peralta was playing up the middle with Rios at 1B anyway, he was already there. At the very least, Rios is out at 2B and AJ is at 1B if it's too tough a play to turn two, but I doubt that ball would get through the IF.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM

Which thread did Oblong post that stuff in?

SI1020
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Which thread did Oblong post that stuff in? I believe it was on a Tigers message board.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
I believe it was on a Tigers message board.

motownsports, not sure which thread though

SOXSINCE'70
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Need you tonight,Gavin.:praying::praying:

PalehosePlanet
09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
I know it is hindsight, but this is why I wish Robin would hit Wise 2 and Youk 3 with Dunn out. I know Wise hit a homer earlier, but if we were set on bunting in the 8th, Wise puts it down, and then we give Youk and PK, our 2 best RBI men with Dunn out, a chance to drive the runs in.

Our best RBI man is Rios who should be batting 3rd right now. Youk needs to go down in the lineup --- way down. Bat Wise 2, Rios 3, PK 4, AJ 5, Alexei 6, then Youk 7th.

Domeshot17
09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Our best RBI man is Rios who should be batting 3rd right now. Youk needs to go down in the lineup --- way down. Bat Wise 2, Rios 3, PK 4, AJ 5, Alexei 6, then Youk 7th.

That is fine as well. I just dont like moving Rios around because he seems like he doesnt handle change in the order as well. I am also still bitter about his bases loaded double play vs. KC.

Chez
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
motownsports, not sure which thread though

Game thread from Monday.

PalehosePlanet
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Wow, that's really surprising, he always seemed like a level headed poster.

Also, and I might be wrong here, but didn't West and/or Daver help him create the motown sports website, emulating WSI in many respects? If so he's an even bigger ****head.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Game thread from Monday.

Just read it. Really it doesn't shock me, Kitten fans are very ignorant and uneducated people so they don't know any better. Still no excuse in my eyes though.

DonnieDarko
09-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Just read it. Really it doesn't shock me, Kitten fans are very ignorant and uneducated people so they don't know any better. Still no excuse in my eyes though.

Did you poll or test every single last--or even a sizable amount of--Tigers fans to come to that conclusion? Anecdotal evidence is not something that is smart to use, and I'm pretty damned sure it's a logical fallacy of some sort. Need to look that up. EDIT: Yes, it's the "hasty generalization fallacy".

Apologies if I seem testy, but I really hate it when people generalize.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Did you poll or test every single last--or even a sizable amount--of Tigers fans to come to that conclusion? Anecdotal evidence is not something that is smart to use, and I'm pretty damned sure it's a logical fallacy of some sort. Need to look that up.

Apologies if I seem testy, but I really hate it when people generalize.

I think if I were to actually do the research, I would find results that would allow me to post what I did, of course there would be outliers. It's Detroit...

Foulke You
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I have to admit, I lurked on that thread too. I was surprised at some of the childish posts from Oblong as well. He is usually a very level headed poster. There was too much stupidity from everyone (including Oblong) to sort through. Plenty of Cub fan-esque attendance shots too. How our "18,000 fans" will celebrate like crazy if we win the division.:rolleyes: I love how AJ is the villain there but they ignored Cabrera grabbing his crotch at AJ on the bunt attempt. AJ can't jaw at Cabrera after the HR but the clownish antics of Jose Valverde are perfectly fine. Oh well, it is their board and they can do what they want but I was expecting more intelligent baseball banter over there. Other than being critical of Leyland starting Rayburn, they seemed more preoccupied with their White Sox hatred.

kittle42
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Then, I saw the bunt was on with Youk and I knew the game was lost.

Isn't that nuts? The second I saw him even move into a bunting stance, I felt they had no chance to the point where I wanted to turn the TV off.

DonnieDarko
09-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I think if I were to actually do the research, I would find results that would allow me to post what I did, of course their would be outliers. It's Detroit...

Again with the hasty generalizations...

Until you do that research to attempt to prove that claim, all you're doing is posting garbage assumptions about people you may never had met, that has no place in any discussion. Really, all you're proving is that you're being an ass for little to no reason.

kittle42
09-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Kitten fans are very ignorant and uneducated people so they don't know any better.

Sitting out in LF the other night, I'd have said the same about Sox fans.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM

Until you do that research to attempt to prove that claim, all you're doing is posting garbage assumptions about people you may never had met, that has no place in any discussion. Really, all you're proving is that you're being an ass for little to no reason.

You may not like generalizations, but I can make one from my experiences. The concept of generalization is very broad, so until you prove me wrong with your own research, I'll stand by my "generalization":smile:

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

I would understand that statement. People are allowed to generalize.

salty99
09-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Sitting in left center last night and seeing two "fans" throwing back home run balls while hundreds of others cheered them on also qualifies.

WhiteSox56
09-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Isn't that nuts? The second I saw him even move into a bunting stance, I felt they had no chance to the point where I wanted to turn the TV off.

Mine got shut off right after his AB.

asindc
09-12-2012, 11:11 AM
As frustrating as the last two weeks have been for us, it has got to be at least twice as bad for Detroit fans now. Twice they have either tied us or taken over first place, only to have the lead quickly taken back from them. This is after being told that their team would easily run away with the AL Central. As I've said before many times this season, I'd rather be us than them.

WisSoxFan
09-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Thank you. The camera shot from behind AJ showed Peralta was playing up the middle and didn't start moving toward second until the ball was hit. Rios running, more than likely, saved a double play.

Tough game. As a fan I worry more about our ability to score enough runs than I do about Floyd or Sale. I think they'll keep them close, but the bats have to wake up. One clutch, two-out, hit tonight. Please... Anyone...

Paulwny
09-12-2012, 11:15 AM

With the jump Rios had AJ should have taken the pitch, bad decision by AJ swinging.

kittle42
09-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Sitting in left center last night and seeing two "fans" throwing back home run balls while hundreds of others cheered them on also qualifies.

Yeah, I think we have to stop pretending like this "doesn't happen" at the Cell. It happens on the majority of opposing homers, and in most parks. Thanks, WGN.

bunkaroo
09-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I think we have to stop pretending like this "doesn't happen" at the Cell. It happens on the majority of opposing homers, and in most parks. Thanks, WGN.

I hate that has become a custom everywhere. If I ever get one from an opposing team I'll be hanging onto it, or giving to a kid that will want it.

salty99
09-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I hate that has become a custom everywhere. If I ever get one from an opposing team I'll be hanging onto it, or giving to a kid that will want it.

It's funny too because security started to come down on the first one but then turned around and did nothing. The second one security was yelling "NO!" right near the person but didn't do anything once the ball was thrown back.

JB98
09-12-2012, 12:31 PM

After the first failed bunt attempt, Benoit stepped off the rubber before he threw his second pitch to see if Youkilis would tip his hand. Indeed, Youkilis tipped off that he was still bunting when Benoit looked Beckham back to second base.

The Tigers didn't seem to believe Robin was serious with that call either.

Even after a night of sleep I'm still in disbelief. Youk has been on the club for almost three months. During that time, he had never been asked to sacrifice, not even once. I can't understand the change in strategy.

The Sox haven't been in first place most of the summer because of their bunting proficiency. That's just not what this team is. They are not going to bunt their way into the playoffs.

kufram
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Just in an attempt to win the wooden spoon award I'll mention that a recent post game thread was full of livid posts complaining the we weren't bunting constantly on the lame Cabrera.

kittle42
09-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Just in an attempt to win the wooden spoon award I'll mention that a recent post game thread was full of livid posts complaining the we weren't bunting constantly on the lame Cabrera.

Come now, kufram. I agree that Cabrera should be bunted on - by guys who have ever been asked to bunt in their career, not by a hobbled slugger type.

mzh
09-12-2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but according to BBR, Youk has a grand total of 0 sacrifice bunts in his career. I'm usually not against moving over runners to 2nd and 3rd with no outs, but that was just a boneheaded rally killer. Get em today, hope Robin learned.

voodoochile
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM

It's a White Sox site with a motto reading, "totally biased, utterly petty, completely unobjective". **** the kittens and their crappy fans...

Nellie_Fox
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
I hate that has become a custom everywhere. If I ever get one from an opposing team I'll be hanging onto it, or giving to a kid that will want it.Sadly, I've seen it happen that a fan hands the ball to a kid, and then the kid, prompted by the boneheads around him, throws the ball back.

kufram
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Come now, kufram. I agree that Cabrera should be bunted on - by guys who have ever been asked to bunt in their career, not by a hobbled slugger type.

Well, I was just stirring the pot... but, I actually think that if the situation calls for a bunt then anybody in the lineup should be able to get a bunt on the ground. It's not that I'm a big fan of the bunt but it has a use and there are times for it and that is always in a tight game. Obviously wrong call because the wrong guy was up but the underlying point is why can't guys bunt? It is not the hardest thing to do with a bat. A manager should be able to ask PK or Dunn to bunt if necessary. Learning to do it is not beyond their skills and it is not going to put them off their power stroke like some protest. If NL pitchers can do it why can't good bat handlers like Youk do it?

I'm driving to Scotland tomorrow so unable to stay up for a game that starts after 1:00 am so here's hoping for a win. Don't care how.

Soxman24
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
It's a White Sox site with a motto reading, "totally biased, utterly petty, completely unobjective". **** the kittens and their crappy fans...

In my experiences they are the worst fans in the A.L Central.

Who cares what they say about Sox fans, at least we don't have to live in Detroit.

kittle42
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
at least we don't have to live in Detroit.

Neither do they, judging by the number of transplants.

#1swisher
09-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Mark Gonzales
Ventura not about to second-guess self for askng Youkilis to bunt

gosox41
09-14-2012, 01:59 AM
That's... a joke, right?

It's crunch time now. It's the 'what have you done for me lately?' mentality and the last two weeks I'm betting the Sox are close to last in the AL in this category.

Bob