PDA

View Full Version : Time Change - 9/25 vs. Indians

vinny
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
The Tuesday 9/25 game vs. the Indians has been rescheduled from 7:10 to 1:10 so as not to interfere with Yom Kippur.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120911&content_id=38240308&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

amsteel
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Good for the Sox for listening to their fans, although I find it odd they are the only team currently with an afternoon start that day.

Chez
09-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Hmmm. I have tickets to that game and was counting on the 7:10 start. 1:05 is not good (for me). Had this been listed as a 1:05 start on the schedule, I wouldn't have bought tickets.

bluedemon45
09-11-2012, 11:31 AM
When I got those tickets in my season ticket drawing back in March...I said to myself that will be a clinch game. Now I can't go because I have a work conference that day that I'll have to be at.

Not to get into some religious thing...but if it was such an important day why haven't other MLB teams made the change, also do the White Sox have a big Jewish fan base?

kittle42
09-11-2012, 11:33 AM
What Would Shawn Green Do?

SOXSINCE'70
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
What Would Shawn Green Do?

What would Ryan Braun do??:D::D: He's Jewish.

Jerko
09-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Hmm might have to pull a few strings at work to make this one.

doogiec
09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
This is absolutely ridiculous.

For those who cannot attend for reason of faith, they never would have purchased tickets in the first place.

For season ticket holders, it is easy to get rid of the tickets via Stubhub etc for one game. We all do it when we have a conflict from time to time.

They decide to do this two weeks before the game, when the date of this holiday has been predictable for thousands of years? I would have no problem with this being a day game for this reason if it was decided at the beginning of the season.

Will the Sox now avoid day games on Good Friday? How about Muslim holidays? This is a terrible precedent, and is extraordinarily inconsiderate to fans who have already purchased tickets and made plans to attend. If we were going to take our kids, are we now expected to pull them out of school? Burn a vacation day instead?

They better have a policy of "refund in full" for those who cannot use these tickets.

Noneck
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Well I assume Youkilis will only miss wednesdays game now.

hawkjt
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
At least we now can be confident that Youk will play.

I would love for this to be a clinch day,but any old day will work.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Wonder when the last time the Sox played a Tuesday afternoon game?

Lip

DeadMoney
09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
In the heart of a pennant race, I'd imagine some of this has to do with appeasing our third baseman, owner, assistant GM, and one of our broadcasters, over appeasing a section of the fan base (while undoubtedly negatively affecting a good number of fans, as well).

doublem23
09-11-2012, 11:58 AM
They better have a policy of "refund in full" for those who cannot use these tickets.

I'm pretty sure the fine print on the back of your ticket says game time is subject to change so I think everyone holding a ticket now is screwed.

What's the o/u on how many people show up? 8,000?

amsteel
09-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Wonder when the last time the Sox played a Tuesday afternoon game?

Lip

4 months ago.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201205150.shtml

doublem23
09-11-2012, 12:14 PM
4 months ago.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA201205150.shtml

:cool:

doogiec
09-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the fine print on the back of your ticket says game time is subject to change so I think everyone holding a ticket now is screwed.

What's the o/u on how many people show up? 8,000?

You are absolutely correct, in the legal sense. But of course, everyone holding a ticket that ends up screwed has no obligation to buy White Sox tickets in the future either.

Don't know if the Sox have noticed, but they have not exactly been doing a good job selling tickets this year. Jacking people around by changing start times with no good reason and little advance notice won't exactly inspire people to send them money in the future. Fans who bought tickets in advance to a Cleveland series at the end of September are probably their better customers in the first place. Keep them happy.

This reminds me of the Rob Gallas marketing days.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
The White Sox have serious marketing and ticket pricing issues that I fully expect them to do nothing to combat before next season.

Noneck
09-11-2012, 12:32 PM
There has to be something more to this. A owner and assistant gm of this religious faith should have noticed this when the time was originally scheduled and would have known the ramifications of scheduling the game as a night game.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Amsteel:

Didn't remember that was a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks.

Lip

SoxFanCPA
09-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Really? I wonder if it is for Youkilis.

bunkaroo
09-11-2012, 12:57 PM
A friend of mine got 4 tickets for 24th row behind home plate for this game. They were finally going to get to a game this year as a family since his wife is working again and their son finally started kindergarten.

Now they're screwed. They can't both take off work and pull their son out of school less than a month in.

Sox should at least be offering exchanges for other games. God knows there are plenty of seats available.

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Well I assume Youkilis will only miss wednesdays game now.

Wednesday's a night game, if he's not very religious I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be able to play. I usually get out of services around 2 or 3, and many people don't got to the Yom Kippur afternoon service.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
First Youkilis takes three full days off for something as insignificant as the birth of his first child, and now he may need a day off for religious/cultural reasons? Time to start Lopez every day!

Wedema
09-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Since when do the Sox listen to what their fans want? This must be so Youkilis can play on Tuesday.

hoosiersoxfan
09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
This actually works out for me. I have tickets but wouldn't have been able to go due to Yom Kippur. Now I can actually go to the game and still make it home in time for services that night :smile:

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 02:12 PM
This actually works out for me. I have tickets but wouldn't have been able to go due to Yom Kippur. Now I can actually go to the game and still make it home in time for services that night :smile:

Ballpark food (assuming you don't keep kosher) before the fast. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
09-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Ballpark food (assuming you don't keep kosher) before the fast. :cool:

2 Vienna Beef hot dogs with grilled onions (go easy on the onions) works well for me. :cool:

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
2 Vienna Beef hot dogs with grilled onions (go easy on the onions) works well for me. :cool:

As long as they're grilled and not raw, I will happily take your extra onions.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Brooks is quoted by Gonzo at the Tribune web site as saying that a "number of fans " have contacted the Sox over this in the past few weeks and that's why they decided to make the change.

For what that's worth.

Lip

slavko
09-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Brooks is quoted by Gonzo at the Tribune web site as saying that a "number of fans " have contacted the Sox over this in the past few weeks and that's why they decided to make the change.

For what that's worth.

Lip

A number....very vague. This is unnecessary, as several have said, anyone going to observe that holiday knew enough not to buy tix. Mistake, mistake, mistake, only inconveniences those fans who bought tix. If I were one of them I'd raise hell.

I didn't think Youkilis was observant enough for it to matter anyway.

GlassSox
09-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Why is Youkilis' name being brought up at all? He should be left out of this unless someone has credible information about him!

kittle42
09-11-2012, 04:03 PM
I wonder if they will listen to the similar complaints from "a number of" fans about their ridiculous pricing structures and overall costs.

Noneck
09-11-2012, 04:05 PM
First Youkilis takes three full days off for something as insignificant as the birth of his first child, and now he may need a day off for religious/cultural reasons? Time to start Lopez every day!

Hope he doesnt have some unused sick days in his bank, if its use or lose by end of year.

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Why is Youkilis' name being brought up at all? He should be left out of this unless someone has credible information about him!

Because it's possible that he wouldn't a play a night on the 25th (or a day game on the 26th, for that matter), but that he would play a day game on the 25th and a night game on the 26th. That said, you're right, there is no information out there that I know of as to how religious he is, whether he has played in past seasons during Yom Kippur (or Rosh Hashanah, for that matter), etc.

sox230
09-11-2012, 04:15 PM
THIS. The White Sox have serious marketing and ticket pricing issues that I fully expect them to do nothing to combat before next season.

I could not agree with this more. The dynamic ticket pricing has absolutely hurt the Sox more than helped them this year. Dynamic pricing works best when there is a great demand for tickets, and we unreasonably thought that we should do it because the Cubs and other big market teams did so.

The marketing has also been horrendous. Most of the promotions go unnoticed and commercials have been generally outdated. How many people knew Jim Cornelison was singing the anthem that one night? Maybe commercials pepping different single-game attractions, such as this or Snoop Dogg throwing the first pitch would change things. The Sox should go hard at a big media spend. Sometimes I feel like what they do produce it almost forced, and that it was half-a**ed.

The Sox have the bare bones when it comes to marketing intelligence. Jerry also has never put much importance into consumer attitudes, yet simple surveys or targeted short interviews (with a small reward attached, say a free game in the UD?) would go a long way.

And you know the organization will do nothing drastic to improve any of this.

DickAllen72
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Hmmm. I have tickets to that game and was counting on the 7:10 start. 1:05 is not good (for me). Had this been listed as a 1:05 start on the schedule, I wouldn't have bought tickets.

When I got those tickets in my season ticket drawing back in March...I said to myself that will be a clinch game. Now I can't go because I have a work conference that day that I'll have to be at.

Not to get into some religious thing...but if it was such an important day why haven't other MLB teams made the change, also do the White Sox have a big Jewish fan base?

This is absolutely ridiculous.

For those who cannot attend for reason of faith, they never would have purchased tickets in the first place.

For season ticket holders, it is easy to get rid of the tickets via Stubhub etc for one game. We all do it when we have a conflict from time to time.

They decide to do this two weeks before the game, when the date of this holiday has been predictable for thousands of years? I would have no problem with this being a day game for this reason if it was decided at the beginning of the season.

Will the Sox now avoid day games on Good Friday? How about Muslim holidays? This is a terrible precedent, and is extraordinarily inconsiderate to fans who have already purchased tickets and made plans to attend. If we were going to take our kids, are we now expected to pull them out of school? Burn a vacation day instead?

There has to be something more to this. A owner and assistant gm of this religious faith should have noticed this when the time was originally scheduled and would have known the ramifications of scheduling the game as a night game.

A friend of mine got 4 tickets for 24th row behind home plate for this game. They were finally going to get to a game this year as a family since his wife is working again and their son finally started kindergarten.

Now they're screwed. They can't both take off work and pull their son out of school less than a month in.

Sox should at least be offering exchanges for other games. God knows there are plenty of seats available.

Since when do the Sox listen to what their fans want? This must be so Youkilis can play on Tuesday.

A number....very vague. This is unnecessary, as several have said, anyone going to observe that holiday knew enough not to buy tix. Mistake, mistake, mistake, only inconveniences those fans who bought tix. If I were one of them I'd raise hell.

I wonder if they will listen to the similar complaints from "a number of" fans about their ridiculous pricing structures and overall costs.
I love the White Sox but the organization is a joke. Since Einhorn and Reinsdorf bought the team I never got the impression they really cared much about the rank and file Sox fan.

It's no wonder that they don't draw as well as they should.

Noneck
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Because it's possible that he wouldn't a play a night on the 25th (or a day game on the 26th, for that matter), but that he would play a day game on the 25th and a night game on the 26th. That said, you're right, there is no information out there that I know of as to how religious he is, whether he has played in past seasons during Yom Kippur (or Rosh Hashanah, for that matter), etc.

2011 boston was already cooked at Yom Kippur. Must have been hurt in 2010, played day game the day before in 2009 and at night on Yom Kippur. Too lazy to go further back.

Chez
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM

I sent an e-mail to my ticket rep expressing my displeasure and pointed out that there are games regularly scheduled on Good Friday, Easter, Passover etc. without any time changes. I also said that "a number of persons" in my section would like to start Thursday's game at 5:00 pm due to the Bears game and, based on the significant number of fans who will be inconveninced by having the Sox and Bears play at the same time, would the Sox consider changing the starting time. :cool:

I got an e-mail back from her stating that she has forwarded my concerns to her manager.

kba
09-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Youk doesn't play on Yom Kippur:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/sports/article/would_red_sox_star_kevin_youkilis_play_on_yom_kipp ur_20110707

The time of the Red Sox Yom Kippur game with the Yankees was changed in 2009:
http://www.nesn.com/2009/09/mlb-changes-time-of-red-sox-yankees-game-on-sept-27-to-avoid-yom-kippur-conflict.html

GlassSox
09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I sent an e-mail to my ticket rep expressing my displeasure and pointed out that there are games regularly scheduled on Good Friday, Easter, Passover etc. without any time changes. I also said that "a number of persons" in my section would like to start Thursday's game at 5:00 pm due to the Bears game and, based on the significant number of fans who will be inconveninced by having the Sox and Bears play at the same time, would the Sox consider changing the starting time. :cool:

I got an e-mail back from her stating that she has sent my concerns to her manager.

:stirpot: :rolling: I can't wait for your update.

Harry Potter
09-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I also said that "a number of persons" in my section would like to start Thursday's game at 5:00 pm due to the Bears game and, based on the significant number of fans who will be inconveninced by having the Sox and Bears play at the same time, would the Sox consider changing the starting time.

Well done! :tiphat:

Noneck
09-11-2012, 04:27 PM

I got an e-mail back from her stating that she has forwarded my concerns to her manager.

That is an amusing email but also very true in many way. Good job.

hoosiersoxfan
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales "Youkilis said he probably wouldn't have played on Sept 25 if game hadn't been switched to a day game"

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 04:37 PM
2011 boston was already cooked at Yom Kippur. Must have been hurt in 2010, played day game the day before in 2009 and at night on Yom Kippur. Too lazy to go further back.

By that do you mean the night the holiday ended? Jewish holidays are sundown-sundown. Thus, with the time change for the Sox having a day game on the 25th and a night game on the 26th, he would avoid playing on the holiday. Although not if he was Orthodox or something, as obviously even night games start before sundown. And if he was Orthodox, he likely wouldn't be a a Major League Baseball player to begin with, as you couldn't play games on friday night or saturday.

Mark Gonzales ‏@MDGonzales "Youkilis said he probably wouldn't have played on Sept 25 if game hadn't been switched to a day game"

Youk doesn't play on Yom Kippur:
http://www.jewishjournal.com/sports/article/would_red_sox_star_kevin_youkilis_play_on_yom_kipp ur_20110707

The time of the Red Sox Yom Kippur game with the Yankees was changed in 2009:
http://www.nesn.com/2009/09/mlb-changes-time-of-red-sox-yankees-game-on-sept-27-to-avoid-yom-kippur-conflict.html

Thanks for the clarification.

DickAllen72
09-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Well done.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Robin should give him an off day just to screw with everyone.

DumpJerry
09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Youk's parents go to the same synagogue in Cincy that my friend's parents attend (they live in the nice part of town). My friend's family is Conservative (Jewish, I don't know their politics), so that tells me Youk is probably somewhat observant. I know he isn't Orthodox, I doubt Tom Brady's sister is Jewish.

kobo
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Every time the starting time for a game is changed there are people who complain. Good to see the tradition continues!

WLL1855
09-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I'll be the black sheep who is happy with the change then. I only have to spend one vacation day to attend a weekday game instead of my usual two. Huzzah!

amsteel
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
I knew Youk qualified for the Israeli WBC, but I didn't realize he was that tied to his faith, I thought it was more of ancestry thing that got him eligibility.

I applaud the move by the Sox (even if it was in their own self-interest), but I still find it odd that they are the only team with a day game that day.

Harry Potter
09-11-2012, 06:59 PM
If the Sox really care about their fans, they should let fans who can't make the game now that it is in the afternoon (due to work, school, etc) trade in those tickets in exchange for a game in the final homestand of the season (Indians or Rays)

Mohoney
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
If the Sox really care about their fans, they should let fans who can't make the game now that it is in the afternoon (due to work, school, etc) trade in those tickets in exchange for a game in the final homestand of the season (Indians or Rays)

Or even a game next season, either way works.

SoxFanCPA
09-12-2012, 06:42 AM

For what that's worth.

Lip

I don't trust a single word that comes out of Brooks's mouth. He is like a politician.

sageofthesox
09-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Can someone explain the 1:10 pm scheduled start time for Tuesday, Sept. 25. The Sox v. Cleveland afternoon game is sandwiched between two weeknight games.

doublem23
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Yom Kippur

Here's the Sox's official press release: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120911&content_id=38240308&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Here's the reaction on WSI: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135922&highlight=yom+kippur

Harry Potter
09-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Here's the reaction on WSI: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135922&highlight=yom+kippur

:lol:

sageofthesox
09-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Yom Kippur

Here's the Sox's official press release: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120911&content_id=38240308&vkey=pr_cws&c_id=cws

Thank you. I missed the original announcement.