PDA

View Full Version : *Official*'That Porcello Doll Is Finally Shattered!!' DET vs SOX 9/10 PostGame Thread

soxinem1
09-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Big, Big, BIG Win!!

Great job by Quintana bouncing back from last week.

The lead is THREE!!!

Take it a day at a time....:bandance::bandance:

all*star quentin
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I never doubted, this Team!:)

guillensdisciple
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I know it's a bit too early to dream but just win this damn series and let's head into the last couple of weeks with a 4 game lead.

WhiteSox5187
09-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Big win and a big outing for Quintana.

JasonFrasor54
09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Huge win. First couple innings were scary, it felt like "one of those games". Many missed chances early and so on. But the Tigers had a 6th inning from hell. And outstanding pitching throughout the game from our guys. Great game and some nice homers.:bandance:

Zakath
09-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Rios with another big hit for this team. Definitely seeing a different Alex than we did last year.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Where are the guests?

MarkZ35
I didn't care for the way Robin used the bullpen but it worked out so its all good.

LoveYourSuit
Kudos to Quintana for the effort tonight.

Rios and Quintana might have saved the season.

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Most excellent win!

The worst case scenario is that we will remain in first place through Friday evening.

But with tonight's win, the Sox have put themselves in position to really help themselves, especially if they can win just two of the next three. At that point, a four game lead isn't invincible, but puts us in the driver's seat.

Is it too much to ask for a sweep and to be six games up?

SoxSpeed22
I said before, let's see how they like it when they have to play at our place after a tough road series.
Jose really stepped up in this one, Donnie Veal earned the big boy pants and the long ball comes through for us. Nice start to this week.

LoveYourSuit
I love the side view of the Rios HR.

Just the crowd reaction, reminds me of 2005.

voodoochile
Quintana, and Rios and Bacon. OH MY! (and AJ too...)

Needed that one and we got it. Heck of a job. Hope this means the bats are heating up now that they are home again. Go on a Southside inspired homer binge these next three nights, that would be just fine by me...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Jollyroger2
09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Good. About time dammit. Detroit trash.

Tragg
09-10-2012, 11:10 PM
That would be a magic number of 20.

TheOldRoman
09-10-2012, 11:11 PM
HUGE start from Quintana. He has thrown way more innings than ever before and is at the point of being gassed, but he was absolutely great tonight. All things considered, his best start of the year. Whether Jose had a dead arm period he can get over or this was his final effective start, he has been great for us this year. The Sox absolutely wouldn't be here without Quintana stepping up after Danks went down.

Let's turn this win into a trend. Worse case scenario is the Tigers leave town tied with the Sox on Thursday. Win tomorrow and put even more pressure on Detroit.

Moses_Scurry
Wins that result in magic number reductions of two make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Frater Perdurabo
Rios and Quintana might have saved the season.

QFT

We almost certainly would not be in first place without Rios' comeback year and Quintana not only replacing, but improving on, our opening day starter.

JB98
09-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Quintana really came through. I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't think he had anything left. Getting out of that third inning unscathed was huge for his confidence, IMO. He got Cabrera to GIDP and struck Fielder out looking.

I know people here aren't entirely thrilled with the Earl Weaver mentality of this club, but the home runs are pretty much the identity of the offense at this point. If they can pair power hitting with good pitching, they'll be all right. We saw that tonight.

Also, Donnie Veal has been solid as a LOOGY. Big out recorded by him in the eighth inning tonight.

Never too high, never too low. Nice win tonight, but another big game awaits tomorrow. Go Sox.

BigHurt3515
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Can you post a video?

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2012, 11:13 PM
We all NEED White Sox baseball well into October! If we win the division, it won't matter what Detroit's record is against us!

Did you know? If we play .500 baseball, Detroit has to go 14-8 to force a tie-breaker!

cv sox fan
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice win boys Quintana was solid tonight

Frater Perdurabo
09-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Maybe, just maybe, Bacon has finally figured out some things and can turn around his career. At the very least, can we home for a September and October like Joe Crede had in 2005?

guillensdisciple
09-10-2012, 11:15 PM
We all NEED White Sox baseball well into October! If we win the division, it won't matter what Detroit's record is against us!

Did you know? If we play .500 baseball, Detroit has to go 14-7 (.666) to force a tie-breaker!

That's why a sweep or series win would be monumental. I would like to know what hey would have to do then if we go .500.

all*star quentin
09-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Can you post a video?

Alex! three-run bomb!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cws&content_id=24660187&topic_id=8879206

Chez
09-10-2012, 11:17 PM
Outstanding!!! Can't say enough about Quintana.

Hard to believe we had Ohman as our loogy for half the season while Veal was in Charlotte.

Jake -- this is the stage you've been waiting for.

TheOldRoman
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd like to indulge in a heaping plate of crow for calling for Robin to skip Sale on Saturday and move him to Monday. I didn't think Quintana had anything left for tonight. He not only kept them in the game, but all things considered, he had the best start of any of our pitchers this season (sorry, Phil).

JasonFrasor54
09-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Quintana really came through. I'm pleasantly surprised. I didn't think he had anything left. Getting out of that third inning unscathed was huge for his confidence, IMO. He got Cabrera to GIDP and struck Fielder out looking.

I saw the arms up in the bullpen and I felt like it was a repeat of the last two starts. But he powered through and ended up pitching a heck of a game. And we didn't have to use our pen that much early in the series!

central44
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Huge win for the Sox. After losing 7 in a row, this team really needed a game like this to prove that they can beat Detroit. Hopefully now they have that in the back of their mind and play to win instead of not to lose.

Lip Man 1
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Well the Sox will not get swept and the pressure starts to build on Detroit.

Finally Q tosses a good game...seems like it was forever.

Good thing the middle of the order produced because the top three guys basically took the night off.

Veal is going to be good for this club, they seem to be working him in slowly but he's got good stuff. Lefties are 0-19 against him this year with 11 strikeouts.

What I don't understand is WHY use Reed when you've got a five run lead? He's pitched three of the last four days, using him tonight means he's not available tomorrow. Can't figure that one out at all.

Outside of that, just a huge win.

Just nice to beat these *******s. It's been awhile.

Lip

guillensdisciple
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
The tigers are 1-6 in the last 7 games after the end of the season sweep against the sox.

ajk3873
09-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Was a little worried early on as Quintana didn't look that sharp. He ended up pitching a strong game. Biggest win of the year so far. Rios homer biggest hit of the year too

TheOldRoman
09-10-2012, 11:21 PM
The first thing that came to mind after Rios' homer was Ed Farmer's call of the "JOE! CREDE!" homer in 2005. "GET OFF THE DECK!"

DoItForDanPasqua
09-10-2012, 11:22 PM
After yesterday and the first half of today I was starting to get very frustrated. This turned out to be a great win.

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2012, 11:23 PM

Did you know? If we play .500 baseball, Detroit has to go 14-8 to force a tie-breaker!

.666 with such a small sample size is not hard to reach.

I would rather these guys (Sox) play each game as if it's a must win and stop looking ahead on the schedule. I think this team has fallen into that trap of looking ahead of the schedule too much this year.

Play every game with the intensity like tonight and hit bad pitcher's pitches. So many hangers were left at HP this past weekend. Make mitakes, make them pay.

fram40
Most excellent win!

The worst case scenario is that we will remain in first place through Friday evening.

But with tonight's win, the Sox have put themselves in position to really help themselves, especially if they can win just two of the next three. At that point, a four game lead isn't invincible, but puts us in the driver's seat.

Is it too much to ask for a sweep and to be six games up?

I hope not. I go Thursday night and completing a sweep would be fan-****ing-tastic.

First things first. You know RV will have them concentrating on tomorrow's game and nothing else. But this win takes some pressure off the Sox and puts a load of pressure on Detroit. Perhaps the Sox can get a few hits with RISP now.

I hope big-mouth Peavy watched and learned from the rookie Quintana and "his boys". He needs to step it up vs Detroit.

chisoxfanatic
Let's beat that piece of junk pitcher Fister tomorrow!

slavko
09-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Might have wanted to conserve Reed for later. We're gonna need 3 more saves in this series. At least he didn't succumb to the Non-Save Situation Myth.

Tough loss for Detroit, esp. the running themselves out of a big inning and then opening the floodgates. Gonna be a test of character for them. Nice to see the shoe on the other foot.

TheOldRoman
What I don't understand is WHY use Reed when you've got a five run lead? He's pitched three of the last four days, using him tonight means he's not available tomorrow. Can't figure that one out at all.He was already warmed up so they decided to use him. He didn't pitch yesterday, so he will be fine to go tomorrow. No worries.

DoItForDanPasqua
I am so happy I may go to CJ Wilson Mazda and get Quintana a CX-V.

BigHurt3515
09-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Alex! three-run bomb!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cws&content_id=24660187&topic_id=8879206

Where is the side view!?!?! lol

JB98
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
He was already warmed up so they decided to use him. He didn't pitch yesterday, so he will be fine to go tomorrow. No worries.

Reed will take the ball every game in this series if asked.

Let's hope he does, because that means the club has a lead in the ninth inning.

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Well the Sox will not get swept and the pressure starts to build on Detroit.

Finally Q tosses a good game...seems like it was forever.

Good thing the middle of the order produced because the top three guys basically took the night off.

Veal is going to be good for this club, they seem to be working him in slowly but he's got good stuff. Lefties are 0-19 against him this year with 11 strikeouts.

What I don't understand is WHY use Reed when you've got a five run lead? He's pitched three of the last four days, using him tonight means he's not available tomorrow. Can't figure that one out at all.

Outside of that, just a huge win.

Just nice to beat these *******s. It's been awhile.

Lip

Even with a 1-2-3 inning ( which feels like the first of his career), still not missing bats an a few too many solid swings in there.

I'm scared about this guy.

roylestillman
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Great win.

Went on the Sox site and found seats for tomorrow downstairs for $20 (well $25 including fees (AND they quit charging you a fee to print them at home.))

Hey for those of you that went tonight,was it my imagination or was the organist playing. That would be a first for a night game in a while.

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Where is the side view!?!?! lol

The side view is money.

Wish I had access to it somewhere.

Ther's a guy wearing a #22 jersey who jumpled on his feet the split second the bat and ball made contact. I would buy that guy a beer.

:gulp:

fram40
09-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Big error by Infante on Wise to start the 6th inning rally. Reading the Tigers recap on mlb.com, it says it is his 7th error since joining the team in late July. Wasn't he supposed to tighten up the Tigers' infield defense?

doublem23
09-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Even with a 1-2-3 inning ( which feels like the first of his career), still not missing bats an a few too many solid swings in there.

I'm scared about this guy.

3 lazy ****ing pop-ups, nothing to worry about

thomas35forever
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Terrific game to be at tonight. I thought Quintana would get the hook early and the bats in for another long night. Rios' home run changed everything and the place exploded. Quintana just threw with more confidence after that. See what a little run support will do to your young gun? Exceeding everyone's expectations was huge and if the tired rotation has found another wind, the timing couldn't be better. Don't stop now, boys!
:bandance:

johnnyg83
09-10-2012, 11:44 PM

I always thought this was a big mistake by TV directors. Seeing the crowd's reaction can be a dramatic piece of TV.

For football too ... they seem to cut they fans out deliberately.

Aesero
09-10-2012, 11:45 PM
Keep it going, take at least 2 of 3 and were set.

Crooked Number
09-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Just got home from vacation, what a nice gift! 3.0 games up, time to start heating up and take this division. Would be great if the Sox are able to put this poor baseball of late behind them. Gordon, keep doing what you are doing. Another big game from Alex, and a huge effort from Quintana.

Great crowd too, if I didnt have to work tomorrow and Wednesday nights I would be there. Go Sox!

johnnyg83
09-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Maybe, just maybe, Bacon has finally figured out some things and can turn around his career. At the very least, can we home for a September and October like Joe Crede had in 2005?

.320 average in September

BigHurt3515
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
I always thought this was a big mistake by TV directors. Seeing the crowd's reaction can be a dramatic piece of TV.

For football too ... they seem to cut they fans out deliberately.

I want to see it! lol

TDog
09-10-2012, 11:56 PM
The tigers are 1-6 in the last 7 games after the end of the season sweep against the sox.

I was wondering if there was some kind of a letdown. The losses against Cleveland that put the Tigers behind again might hint at a letdown, although the Angels have been playing great ball and are probably going to beat most teams right now.

Tonight's game on MLB began with a frustrating feel. But just when I was wondering when the last time the Sox scored a runner from third with less than two out, the ball jumped off the bat of Rios and before I saw the ball land fair in the seats, it felt like the first olive coming out of a full jar. This team seemed to be playing tight offensively. Maybe this will loosen them up. This was the opposite of the Sunday night game against the Tigers when the three-run Young homer put the Tigers ahead. Suddenly, the Tigers were the deflated team.

Oddly enough, the White Sox may have caught a break with the wild pitch that set up the Tigers run. If the runner is at first, Wise might be coming toward the cutoff man looking home instead of getting the second out of the inning at second. Who knows how the inning would have turned out. Still, the baserunning mistake turned a four-hit inning into a one-run inning. If the Sox are down by more than one, I don't know that you send Wise with Konerko at the plate. Without a runner at third in a one-run game, I don't know that Rios gets a ball up in the zone that he can drive to the outfield.

Whether things fell into place for the Sox to score six tonight or whether it was just a matter of time, the Tigers didn't play well tonight, despite a very nice run-saving play by Cabrera. Only one run was unearned because the Sox didn't capitalize on two two-base errors, but the one-out error at second opened things up. And, of course, there was the double unstretched into a single and out. After Cabrera hit into the double play in the third, Quintana seemed to kick it into another gear.

The Rios home run was only half the offensive story, and the offense was only half the story. And when the eighth was over, getting Cabrera and Fielder out of the way and getting the two-out thunder from the bottom of the lineup to extend the lead and an three-up-three-down ninth from Reed, it sort of had the feeling of that 2005 game against the Indians that ended with the Crede home run.

Reports of the death of the White Sox have been exaggerated.

But I would feel better if the Sox could get three more just like it.

Dibbs
09-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Winning the first game of the series was huge. I envisioned bad things happening if they lost this game. Now I think we could pull off 3 out of 4, but I will settle for a split.

16th&State
09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Just got home from what turned into a great night at the ballpark:) Quintana struggled a bit early but settled in nicely to give the Good Guys 7.2 solid innings. The quality in the bullpen did the rest. And the 30K+ crowd on hand exploded at the back to back homers by Rios & AJ. Beckham's shot was just icing on the cake! 'Twas a great night at Soxpark!

Ladies & Gents, the lead is 3 games!! Dont Stop Now Boys!!

soxfan1965
09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I was plesantly surprised with the win, because of the Sox un-clutch hitting against KC and the Tigers intimidating lineup (not unlike the lineup of Cash, Kaline, Horton, Northrup, Freeham and McAuliffe) that may have been jet-lagged tonight. Holding them to a run. Just one game at a time, maybe decided up to the last reg game in October, since it is an agonizing but exciting ride. A nice series start tonight, esp Rios making up big time for that GIDB Sunday night.

DSpivack
09-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Reports of the death of the White Sox have been exaggerated.

But I would feel better if the Sox could get three more just like it.

:cool:

PalehosePlanet
09-11-2012, 12:04 AM
It seems like Jose lost confidence in himself after getting lit up in Minny a couple of weeks ago and has been scared to throw strikes ever since. I'm glad he finally realized that EVERYONE gets rocked sooner or later and to just make some slight adjustments but continue to throw strikes. He did that tonight starting with the Cabrera GIDP and regained his confidence. Very proud of you Jose! ....And yes I was a doubter before tonight.

Also, very important, the Tigers are down right now, so we must put our foot on their throat and keep it that way. Hopefully their league worst defense rears it's lovely head again tomorrow.

TDog
09-11-2012, 12:07 AM
What I don't understand is WHY use Reed when you've got a five run lead? He's pitched three of the last four days, using him tonight means he's not available tomorrow. Can't figure that one out at all. ...

Sure you can. It isn't just the games relievers pitch. Its the times they warm up and don't get into the game that taxes them. Reed pitching to contact to three hitters tonight likely didn't tax him much more than warming him up seriously. The scoring came after two out and none on, so he was geared towward coming in for the save before the Beckham home run.

TaylorStSox
09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
3 lazy ****ing pop-ups, nothing to worry about
The first 2 were hit pretty hard.

If you're going to warm Reed up, you might as well let him pitch and gain some confidence. It's too bad Danks dropped that ball the other day. Reed's stuff looked good prior to the "error."

Rios' HR also reminded me of Crede's HR against the Indians.

FielderJones
09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Well, that was an exhilarating game to be at. I had been dreading the Quintana start, after the crap he turned in the last two games. And with two men on in front of the leagues best RBI man, gloom was creeping over me and the crowd. But kudos to Quintana for turning in an outstanding start. The fans really showed their appreciation.

There is nothing like meaningful September baseball. It felt like a playoff game tonight.

Go Sox, and get as many as you can from these Detroit bums.

PalehosePlanet
09-11-2012, 12:13 AM
The first thing that came to mind after Rios' homer was Ed Farmer's call of the "JOE! CREDE!" homer in 2005. "GET OFF THE DECK!"

Ledge!

doublem23
09-11-2012, 12:15 AM
The first 2 were hit pretty hard.

If you're going to warm Reed up, you might as well let him pitch and gain some confidence. It's too bad Danks dropped that ball the other day. Reed's stuff looked good prior to the "error."

Rios' HR also reminded me of Crede's HR against the Indians.

I'm not sure I'd say either was hit all that hard considering neither merited much worry they'd reach the fence. With a 5-run lead, Reed was clearly pitching to contact, I really don't think you can read much into his outing. He only pitched 10 stress-free pitches, if he's unavailable tomorrow, he would have been unavailable regardless if he pitched the 9th or not as I'm sure he probably taxed his arm more just by warming up.

voodoochile
09-11-2012, 12:20 AM
Sure you can. It isn't just the games relievers pitch. Its the times they warm up and don't get into the game that taxes them. Reed pitching to contact to three hitters tonight likely didn't tax him much more than warming him up seriously. The scoring came after two out and none on, so he was geared towward coming in for the save before the Beckham home run.

He was also warmed up and ready to go and Beckaham's HR came late in the 8th with the final out following quickly. Not sure they had time to get someone else up and ready. Plus the three setup men have been used heavily recently and I'm sure Robin still remembers the Seattle game when he didn't bring Reed in to start the inning after the Sox blew it open late. I personally think Reed let down that night convinced he wasn't going to pitch and couldn't restart the motor leading to all the runs scoring when things started to snowball. No point in risking it tonight, either. This game was way to important.

shingo10
09-11-2012, 12:22 AM
I LOVED A.J. screaming at Porcello all the way around the bases after his home run. After Verlander pulled that crap on Sunday Night last time they played and we did nothing in retaliation this was awesome to see.

Don't stop now.

Peavy was brought over here and agreed to come here for a chance to have start like tomorrow. Let's make it worth it.

tstrike2000
09-11-2012, 12:25 AM
With Quintana our biggest question mark, he really came through with a great game. Overcoming some really hard hit balls and a leadoff walk, Jose really settled in. Just the start we needed to give the bullpen a break. And Rios for MVP of our team. Porcello had good movement running in on right handed hitters, but Alex took advantage of some mistakes. He got a couple of pitches on the inner portion of the plate where he likes it and did not miss them leading to his double and HR. Now, we need to carry this momentum into tomorrow.

bunkaroo
09-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Wasn't looking good there at first, but in the end my winning affect on the Sox continues - 9-0 at the Cell this year! Thinking about going Thursday...

I loved seeing the Kittie fans skulking out after Beckham's HR.

Tragg
09-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Do they still call Beckham "Bacon". I thought that was Guillen. Dumb nickname.

Nice work by Quintana. He's a keeper. Excellent work by those young guys in the pen. We're going to have some tough decisions on the playoff roster - a lot of them are outpitching the bullpen vets.

johnnyg83
09-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Do they still call Beckham "Bacon". I thought that was Guillen. Dumb nickname.

Nice work by Quintana. He's a keeper. Excellent work by those young guys in the pen. We're going to have some tough decisions on the playoff roster - a lot of them are outpitching the bullpen vets.

What would you say ?

I think Veal makes it as our LOOGY .

Veal
Santiago
Humber
Myers
Crain
Thornton
Reed

and Liriano if we go to a short rotation

ChiSoxGal85
09-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Just got back from the game - WOW! For various reasons, this is the first game I've been able to go to this season. We were treated to a great Sox win. :bandance:

Some 30,000+ fans were pretty quiet the first few innings, but when Rios hit that HR, the place came alive. There were quite a few Tigers fans, but they were well outnumbered by Sox fans.

The first 4 innings Quintana seemed to have trouble finding his groove, and the Sox offense seemed to be slumbering. But Quintana really pulled it together (he got a rousing ovation when he left the game) and then the Sox finally got to Porcello.

Three Detroit errors - yep, defense is overrated. Not. Miguel Cabrera was so stiff playing 3rd. At one point he acted like he hurt his hip or back after trying to field one to his left. He looked liked he was in pain for a while. And I loved when AJ tried to get a bunt down on him once.

I was so glad to see the Sox beat Detroit handily tonight! And we enjoyed sitting with My_Sox_Summer and his girlfriend!

CoopaLoop
09-11-2012, 01:22 AM
The puns in these titles make my insides hurt sometimes.

The win negated this however.

amsteel
09-11-2012, 01:30 AM
I had very little faith going into this game, but JQ showed some serious minerals out there tonight. Hell of a game.

100% home-run-reliant offense, but it's all good if that happens in a win.

Peavy pitches his biggest game in a Sox uniform tomorrow. Let's hope he shows us why we've paid him 47$ million to this point.

Tragg
09-11-2012, 01:36 AM
What would you say ?

Veal
Santiago
Humber
Myers
Crain
Thornton
Reed

I'd probably include Liriano. Omogrosso is making a case for himself, too. Might leave Myers out if he doesn't start pitching better - he's been awful the last 2 weeks.
Humber - I certainly see no reason to put him on the roster. Santiago can handle the long work. I'd prefer Axe over Humber anyway.

CoopaLoop
09-11-2012, 01:39 AM
What is the playoff rotation right now?

Sale, Peavy ? ?

Tragg
09-11-2012, 01:43 AM
What is the playoff rotation right now?

Sale, Peavy ? ?

Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Liriano I would guess. Lefty heavy, but we're 4/5 lefties right now so we'll be used to it

hoosiersoxfan
09-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Sale, Peavy, Quintana, Liriano I would guess. Lefty heavy, but we're 4/5 lefties right now so we'll be used to it

Probably what it would be unless Gavin comes back healthy and pitching lights out (not very likely)

Tragg
09-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Just watching the highlights, it's nice to see Peralta taking a few seconds in the batter's box to admire his home-run that wasn't, only to get thrown out by a mile at 2nd.

It also looks like Beckham has shortened his swing a little bit....it's tighter. Or maybe it's 1 in the morning and my eyes are sleepy.

Aesero
09-11-2012, 02:14 AM
Anyone else notice Mantos reaction after Beckhams home run? Arms straight up in the air all excited the second he made contact. Probably happy to see the work they put in together paying off lately.

kufram
09-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I was hoping Quintana would prove some people wrong. So glad he did last night.

cards press box
09-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Clutch hitting and a gritty, strong performance from Quintana!

:winner

LITTLE NELL
09-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Jake's turn, win tonight and I like our chances of of taking 3 of 4 and maybe a sweep.

kufram
09-11-2012, 06:35 AM
This team has not let bad stretches of play define them. Detroit has always been in more trouble than we have all year. If we can get to the post season all of the adversity will stand us in good stead.

It has to help to have a big(ger) crowd cheering the players on. That adds another dimension they have not had.... let's hope it continues.

wassagstdu
09-11-2012, 08:14 AM
HUGE performance by Quintana. I think he is a keeper. This is a guy who gave up his first start ever to protect his teammate and has shown a lot of guts.

If Beckham could figure out how to quit starting every at bat 0-2 he might be the hitter we all thought he would be. Or maybe it's the adjustments he makes when he gets two strikes?

I always disliked Earl Weaver.

DonnieDarko
09-11-2012, 09:25 AM

Was it just me or did he hit that HR on a fastball? Same thing with the 2B he hit earlier in the game? It's good to see him squaring up on fastballs, considering that he's been so bad at hitting them throughout this season. Has anyone else also noticed that he's crouching a lot more in his stance than seemingly ever before? I noticed that change about...1-2 weeks ago, and since then he's been on a bit of a tear (comparitively for him, anyway).

From what I understand, it's because he was already warmed up and ready to go.

doublem23
09-11-2012, 09:26 AM
That's why a sweep or series win would be monumental. I would like to know what hey would have to do then if we go .500.

IF the Sox sweep this series, they will be 6 games up on Detroit with 19 to play. So, even if the Sox finish the year 9-10, Detroit would have to go 15-4 to catch us at 88 wins at season's end in that scenario.

That's counting your chickens before they hatch, though. Essentially it's a 3-game series now, if we can win just 2 of the next 3, then we put the Tigers in a real bad place mathematically. The Sox would either need to tank or the Tigers would need to absolutely catch fire over the last 3 weeks of the year.

No need to worry about all that **** right now, though. Just hope for a win tonight and keep the good vibrations going.

kufram
09-11-2012, 09:32 AM
There is only one way to sweep the Tigers and that is to win tonight. This team seems to me to be very good at taking it one game at a time.

Domeshot17
09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Sox need to just keep playing one game at a time. This is still a dangerous series, but one that can be offset with a win tonight.

Good to see the Bats finally break out a little. Good to see Gordon not miss a softball esque hanger from Dotel. Solid win!

Chez
09-11-2012, 09:44 AM
All this talk of a sweep is pretty amusing in light of how crappy we felt after Sunday. Win tonight. That's all. Just win tonight.

doublem23
09-11-2012, 09:49 AM
All this talk of a sweep is pretty amusing in light of how crappy we felt after Sunday. Win tonight. That's all. Just win tonight.

Welcome to the highs and lows of September baseball. :cool:

It's also a good reminder every now and then to see, in person, how flawed the team chasing you is.

Procol Harum
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Big, big, BIG win last night--finally some clutch hits when it was looking bleak, and a great performance from Quintana when a lot of us were starting to wonder if the league had figured him out.

Now, the Sox gotta go out and work their tails off to win the series!

Noneck
09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
He was already warmed up so they decided to use him. He didn't pitch yesterday, so he will be fine to go tomorrow. No worries.

Luckily he didnt throw many pitches but you are correct.

asindc
09-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Welcome to the highs and lows of September baseball. :cool:

It's also a good reminder every now and then to see, in person, how flawed the team chasing you is.

It's called perspective. It only matters how well or how poorly the Sox are playing relative to their opponents. Even before the season started, I didn't understand why so many people thought the Tigers' defense and shaky back of the rotation would not prevent them from winning the division going away. I didn't understand why people did not anticipate that Rios and Dunn would perform closer to their career norms than what we saw last season. Last night's game was a microcosm of both teams. As I said all along, Detroit might win the division, but they will have to fight hard for it down to the last few games. They are simply not clearly better than the Sox.

SoxBulls55
09-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Gordon's hitting has really picked up since he starting crouching down more in his stance a week or two ago around the time he had the 3rbi game.

TomBradley72
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
My $0.02:

I was pretty down on the Sox heading into last night's game- had it recording- but other than listening on the radio on the way home and hearing more runners stranded in scoring position early in the game- looked like more of the same- but turned it on just after the error that opened the floodgates- was literally praying for Rios to turn on one- and then he did. I've been a fan for 40+ years- and that is definitely one of the biggest September homers of my lifetime.
I posted before the game that I thought Quintana was completely gassed- that is one TOUGH kid with alot of guts-
Folks have been comparing Rios' homer to Crede's- I'll also compare it to a big homer hit by Frank Thomas vs. Kansas City in August of 1993- same dynamic (tons of runners LOB, win one/lose one- not breaking through)- when Thomas hit that homer- it was like a dam burst- it lifted the pressure off the team as well as the fans- the fans seemed to move from skepticism to believing on that homer- and we went on to win the division.
Another big game tonight- meaningful September baseball- completely awesome. :gulp:

TomBradley72
09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
What would you say ?

Veal
Santiago
Humber
Myers
Crain
Thornton
Reed

I'd take Axelrod over Humber

TomBradley72
09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Gordon's hitting has really picked up since he starting crouching down more in his stance a week or two ago around the time he had the 3rbi game.

Looking at Sox hitting stats over the past 30 days- Beckham is #2 in RBIs (15- behind Rios) with a .272 batting average- how great it would it be if he "found it" just as we plowing through September?

Noneck
09-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Looking at Sox hitting stats over the past 30 days- Beckham is #2 in RBIs (15- behind Rios) with a .272 batting average- how great it would it be if he "found it" just as we plowing through September?

Maybe its time to flip flop the 4 and 9 slot.

Madvora
09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
Nobody believes we can win this thing. This is ridiculous.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg109/scaled.php?server=109&filename=88283397.jpg&res=landing

SoxFan1979
09-11-2012, 11:24 AM
It's All Gooood =D :bandance:

doublem23
09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Maybe its time to flip flop the 4 and 9 slot.

Konerko over the same time period: .286/.344/.464

aryzner
09-11-2012, 11:29 AM

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg109/scaled.php?server=109&filename=88283397.jpg&res=landing

LOL

Wow.

Reminds me of the Yankees sweep with that "Time is Running Out" headline where they were blatantly rooting for the Yankees.

doublem23
09-11-2012, 11:32 AM

I'm not sure it's that ridiculous considering we've had Sox fans here for the past 2 weeks telling everyone how the Sox didn't deserve to win the division, either.

jdm2662
09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure it's that ridiculous considering we've had Sox fans here for the past 2 weeks telling everyone how the Sox didn't deserve to win the division, either.

Hell, we've had people saying the Royals are more deserving, eventhough they are 10+ games under .500.

As for the "experts" they don't like being wrong. That includes many blowhards here in Chicago. Of course, they want DET to win. God forbid, their egos get deflated and feelings get hurt (I'm looking at you Dan McNeil).

asindc
09-11-2012, 11:37 AM
My $0.02:
I was pretty down on the Sox heading into last night's game- had it recording- but other than listening on the radio on the way home and hearing more runners stranded in scoring position early in the game- looked like more of the same- but turned it on just after the error that opened the floodgates- was literally praying for Rios to turn on one- and then he did. I've been a fan for 40+ years- and that is definitely one of the biggest September homers of my lifetime.
I posted before the game that I thought Quintana was completely gassed- that is one TOUGH kid with alot of guts-
Folks have been comparing Rios' homer to Crede's- I'll also compare it to a big homer hit by Frank Thomas vs. Kansas City in August of 1993- same dynamic (tons of runners LOB, win one/lose one- not breaking through)- when Thomas hit that homer- it was like a dam burst- it lifted the pressure off the team as well as the fans- the fans seemed to move from skepticism to believing on that homer- and we went on to win the division.
Another big game tonight- meaningful September baseball- completely awesome. :gulp:

I remember that homer well. I had gone to a sports bar to watch the game and was in a foul mood because KC had recently been closing hard on the Sox and was leading this game. I believe the homer came in the 8th (which meant it would likely have been Frank's last AB of the night) off KC closer Mike Montgomery, who was one of the best closers in the game at the time. Yes, Rios' HR last night had a similar feel. You can just see the team relax and play ball after that.

Speaking of playing ball, a BIG :thumbsup: to Quintana. Biggest game of his life and he pitches a gritty, tough game.:gulp:

Madvora
09-11-2012, 11:40 AM
True, but it's not "inconceivable" that the team actually in first place would beat the team in second place.

TomBradley72
09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
True, but it's not "inconceivable" that the team actually in first place would beat the team in second place.

On the other hand- we deserve some of the skepticism- we're in 4th place in the wild card hunt- so we have the 6th best record in a 14 team league.

Hopefully last night's win helps us go on a nice little run and close the deal-

TheOldRoman
09-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Hell, we've had people saying the Royals are more deserving, eventhough they are 10+ games under .500.

As for the "experts" they don't like being wrong. That includes many blowhards here in Chicago. Of course, they want DET to win. God forbid, their egos get deflated and feelings get hurt (I'm looking at you Dan McNeil).I doubt McNeil will care all that much. You might get a few mentions of "White Sox are in the playoffs" during the updates, but other than that it will be him fondling himself while talking football. That buffoon is who ESPN had in mind when they decided that fans need to watch NFL Live year round. Damn. I missed the Bears' OTA recap, so now I will feel lost for the entire season.

Nellie_Fox
09-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Was it just me or did he hit that HR on a fastball? Same thing with the 2B he hit earlier in the game? It's good to see him squaring up on fastballs, considering that he's been so bad at hitting them throughout this season. I don't know, but Hawk and Stone said it was a hanging slider.

Has anyone else also noticed that he's crouching a lot more in his stance than seemingly ever before? I noticed that change about...1-2 weeks ago, and since then he's been on a bit of a tear (comparitively for him, anyway).No question. Not quite the Paciorek "emergency stance," but noticeable.

Madvora
09-11-2012, 12:02 PM
On the other hand- we deserve some of the skepticism- we're in 4th place in the wild card hunt- so we have the 6th best record in a 14 team league.

Hopefully last night's win helps us go on a nice little run and close the deal-
Actually the 7th best record, but we beat the team with the 8th best record. How is that inconceivable?
Inconceivable that we win 20 games in a row and sweep through the playoffs, but winning one game against a team with a worse record seems pretty normal.

Rocky Soprano
09-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Take a look at their payroll and roster and look at ours.
No one gave us a chance and the Tigers were SUPPOSED to run away with the division.
It reminds me of our Sox last year, when they were SUPPOSED to be All In.

jdm2662
09-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I doubt McNeil will care all that much. You might get a few mentions of "White Sox are in the playoffs" during the updates, but other than that it will be him fondling himself while talking football. That buffoon is who ESPN had in mind when they decided that fans need to watch NFL Live year round. Damn. I missed the Bears' OTA recap, so now I will feel lost for the entire season.

Oh, if the Sox don't win the division, I'm pretty sure he will say something. He loves stroking his ego, and cries when people doubt him. If they win it, there might be a blurb because it is news.

TDog
09-11-2012, 12:09 PM

I have been reading posts in the Sox Clubhouse from Sox fans since March saying the Tigers were going to win it. Through May, it seemed a majority if not consensus. Lately it's been fewer with many more along the lines of some being certain the Sox would lose it as much as the Tigers would win it. I still believe. Yet, I've seen a lot of White Sox baseball, a lot of seasons in my life and don't need much of my hand to count the happy endings.

It doesn't bother me that the people covering baseball around the country consider a Tigers run inevitable.

And from one perspective, the Sox and Tigers are exactly where they were going into the last series in Detroit. The Tigers are looking at three games that can get them into first place, although thee will be less season remaining when the series is over. They have Fister going tonight, followed by Scherzer and Verlander just as they did when the Sox went into Detroit at the end of their last roadtrip.

Last night was a huge game. But tonight is a huge game. There will be a huge game tomorrow and again the next day.

There are differences between the White Sox and Tigers. They have been discussed. But I think the biggest difference is that the Whtie Sox have someehting to prove.

jdm2662
09-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Take a look at their payroll and roster and look at ours.
No one gave us a chance and the Tigers were SUPPOSED to run away with the division.
It reminds me of our Sox last year, when they were SUPPOSED to be All In.

It's September. We've seen enough baseball to know both teams aren't far apart and both are very flawed. Like I said, media blowhards don't like to be proven wrong. If DET ends up winning the next three, they will say its over, the Sox just aren't good enough, etc. You know, like the last two times DET caught the Sox.

Bottom line, the season ends on Oct 3. Whoever has won more games at that time, will be the division winner. Until then, you need to let the games play out.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
The Tigers have Verlander, Cabrera, and Fielder, and were heavy favorites to win the division.

The Sox have...well...no one that the national media cares about (whether justifiably or not).

They decided the better story is the "mighty" not meeting expectations.

I'm fine with it.

kittle42
09-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Also, I wonder if the folks here whose emotions and entire outlook on the Sox do a 180 every day with each win or loss react the same way to other things in their lives. I was thinking of them going through a routine day. It's pretty funny.

hawkjt
09-11-2012, 12:38 PM
My $0.02:
Another big game tonight- meaningful September baseball- completely awesome.
:gulp:

I agree that Alex's homer felt like a turning point, like SuperJoe Crede's did in 2005. One difference...I was in the park last nite,and was not for Joe's.
I was screaming at my son that Alex should bunt, and he was telling me to settle down. I was so frustrated I was ranting about how every pro baseball player should be able to bunt,and that we should bunt every time we get a man to third with less than 2 outs until we get one down,no matter who was at the plate.

Alex settled me down,and then had me going crazy. What a moment.

As for Jose....Alex had the biggest hit of the year,and Jose had the biggest start of the year....no question.
1.Won the game.
2. Saved the bullpen.
3. Restored his confidence and the faith of the fans.

He was on the ropes,but found a way to survive,like he did so many times earlier this year,and then thrived.
I have said it many times this year about Jose...the key for him is rythmn,and the key to rythmn is pitching out of the full windup,especially early. That hitch in his full windup fools batters,and puts him in position to throw a strike. Out of the stretch,he is not nearly as effective. If he gets out of the early innnings,and gets in a groove out of the full windup...he gets so much tougher.
If this means he can now be counted on again,it gives our rotation a fighting chance.

Now, tonite. Another monster game. Beating Fister will be much easier than Scherzer or Verlander,obviously. The wind is going to be blowing out,and it is going to be warm all three games. That might be good for the Sox,but the Tigers can hit homers also. Peavy must keep them in the park,and Sox must relax and keep this warm flow going after last nite.

I really wish the Sox had scheduled the Thursday epic Sale vs Verlander Part II for the afternoon. I would take the day off to go. Going head to head with the Bears/Packers is going to reduce the crowd...a shame.

Can you imagine a Chicago Sportsgasm it would be if the Tigers-Sox had a 3 oclock start, followed immediately with the Bears-Packers at 7? Win both,and the town will explode! That would make for a busy Bacardi at the Park in the after the Sox game, as it would be great place to watch the Bear game and marinate in the glow of a great Sox series.

JB98
09-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Agreed. The postgame thread Sunday was full of hate for the Sox. Now, we have folks talking playoff rosters and rotations. If the Sox lose tonight, I expect a full "season's over" meltdown here at WSI. The ups and downs are just crazy, but it's the nature of message boards.

There are three weeks to go, and there will be both exhilarating wins and agonizing losses during these next three weeks. I try to stay as even-keeled as possible.

JB98
09-11-2012, 01:25 PM
The Tigers have Verlander, Cabrera, and Fielder, and were heavy favorites to win the division.

The Sox have...well...no one that the national media cares about (whether justifiably or not).

They decided the better story is the "mighty" not meeting expectations.

I'm fine with it.

I'm also good with it. I'm hoping the Tigers will start to feel the pressure. They are *supposed* to win this division. Let that be their burden, not the Sox.

jdm2662
09-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Also, I wonder if the folks here whose emotions and entire outlook on the Sox do a 180 every day with each win or loss react the same way to other things in their lives. I was thinking of them going through a routine day. It's pretty funny.

I've taken several jabs at that, too. In a 162 game season, things change as often as the wind blows. Got to take one game at a time. Don't get too down after a loss or too high after a win.

Hitmen77
09-11-2012, 01:51 PM

http://static.zoovy.com/img/gkworld/W377-H377-Bffffff/I/item81337_jpg.jpg

voodoochile
09-11-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know, but Hawk and Stone said it was a hanging slider.

No question. Not quite the Paciorek "emergency stance," but noticeable.

Getting lower will allow him to get at pitches down in the zone better - something he did the other day when he looped that double to left field after being down two strikes in the count.

slavko
09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Getting lower will allow him to get at pitches down in the zone better - something he did the other day when he looped that double to left field after being down two strikes in the count.

He needs something to get his bat started faster. The high fastball is his big bugaboo. If crouching does that, great. He did hit a slider from Dotel, inside half, above the waist.

Maybe crouching changes his strike zone, maybe it's the placebo effect, maybe it's the Magic Bullet. Wait and see.