PDA

View Full Version : Rolen to Cardinals?

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 07:43 PM
From MLB.com
According to published and broadcast reports, Rolen's stormy time in Philadelphia could finally be coming to an end, assuming the Cardinals can sign Rolen to a long-term contract during a 72-hour window. The All-Star third baseman would be dealt to St. Louis for third baseman Placido Polanco, left-handed pitcher Bud Smith and possibly Jimmy Journell, a hard-throwing right-handed pitcher.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:48 PM
ohhh what a coup for stl, and a major burn for those idiots from the norhside. :gulp:

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
ohhh what a coup for stl, and a major burn for those idiots from the norhside. :gulp:

LOL! I hope the Flubbs get used to playing golf in October because with Rolen in the fold, ST. Louis figures to dominate the NL Central for a good little while.

DrCrawdad
07-28-2002, 12:19 AM
If the Sox ever left Chicago the team I'd root for is the Cardinals. I like them.

When Philadelphia played at Wrigley recently the Cub broadcasters were fawning over Rolen. Chip especially was saying how good Rolen would be for the Cubs. Well it sure would be a great twist if it turned out that Rolen landed in St. Louis.

Here's the funny thing though, the Cubs have recently had two 3rd base prospects - Dave Kelton and Eric Hinske. The Cubs held on to Kelton but traded Hinske to Oakland for a hyped, "can't miss closer of the future Scott Chiasson". Chiasson had a lousy year and is now out for TJ surgery.

Hinske was traded by Oakland to Toronto for Billy Koch, I believe.

So here's the point, the guy the Cubs held on to as their 3rd baseman of the future can't throw to 1st base. Kelton can hit, but he has DH written all over him from what I've read. Meanwhile, Hinske is a viable candidate for AL Rookie of the Year.

RKMeibalane
07-28-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
If the Sox ever left Chicago the team I'd root for is the Cardinals. I like them.

I know what you mean. The Cardinals are my favorite National League team.