PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-8 That's a White Sox Winner! Sox 5 - KC 4 Postgamer

all*star quentin
09-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I still believe! :gulp:

shingo10
09-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Please don't use Danks as a defensive replacement anymore...

MarySwiss
Me too!

Chez
Addison Reed and Jordan Danks just took 5 years off my life. I still believe. C'mon Angels.

Aesero
Danks couldn't make that catch because he knew doing so would result in a 1-2-3 ninth for Reed, and we just can't have that happening this season.

SoxSpeed22
Finally solved the Chen enigma, sort of.
Reed is just fine with getting the first two guys, but he always seems to have trouble with the last out (even though Danks needs to make that play). Thorny was the real hero in this one.

LoveYourSuit
09-08-2012, 06:03 PM
4 HRs and a solid performance by one of your ACEs ..... yet we just have to find a way to make it a nail-biter.

The Danks family sucks at baseball .

voodoochile
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
The Sox won and I lived through it. Not much else to add...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :bandance:

34rancher
09-08-2012, 06:05 PM
I posted this a month or so ago, and a few people agreed, and others laughed. I was worried then, but we are 1 dimensional at scoring runs. If we are not hitting home runs, we don't score. It's crazy since we don't have guys who are career wise home run hitters. All uppercut swings and hoping to be rescued. I hope we have enough to hang on. C'mon Angels.....

slavko
09-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Home run was nice, but PK leaves games on the bases too much. It's the wrist IMO. Reed has a closer's mentality, that's for sure. I assume Coop told him to stay with the heater when he came out, and he did so. Game over.

October26
09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Congratulations to Chris Sale on win #16. Sweet Sixteen, indeed. And kudos to Robin for sticking with Addison Reed in the 9th when things got scary. I think that was a confidence boost for Addison. It was not Reed's fault that Jordan Danks lost that ball in the lights but my stomach was in knots right about then. I'm so glad that Addison rewarded Robin for his confidence.

Phew! Really happy to see the Sox get the win today. :D:

PS. Glad to see Viciedo hit his 20th homer of the season today.

DickAllen72
09-08-2012, 06:14 PM
He's certainly not good in left field anyway. At this point in their careers, he's actually a defensive downgrade from Viciedo in LF. He's supposed to be the organization's best defensive outfielder (at least according to Hawk), and maybe he's been good in the minors in centerfield but it seems he just isn't used to playing in left field.

PalehosePlanet
09-08-2012, 06:28 PM
a3Fkuq5Lf0Q

SoxFan1979
09-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I was refreshing yahoo sports so i did not inform me of the Danks drop. I sure was cursing Addison out LOL. I'll be at tomorrows Angels vs Tigers with my Sox hat on rooting hard for the Angels lol

tstrike2000
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Concerned about having Reed as our closer.

ElevenUp
09-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Well that wasn't easy, but any win is a good win in the middle of a pennant race. Great game by Sale.

samurai_sox
09-08-2012, 06:46 PM
About time we ****ing beat Bruce Chen!

amsteel
09-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Reed's 18.00 ERA this series is not encouraging.

Foulke You
09-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Nice win today. Little frightening there at the end but hey, we beat Chen. I'll take it. Jesse Crain looked about as good today as he had since coming back from the injury. Royals had no chance against him. Also, a gray job once again by Thornton too. He really has a lot more success when he gets his breaking stuff over.

Home plate ump was terrible today. No excuse for kicking that call at home plate that gave KC their first run. Guy was out by a full 2 feet. Replay wasn't even necessary to see that he was safe. Fortunately, it didn't cost us the game. He also had a CB Bucknor-esque strike zone today.

EdHerman12
09-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Can we please put the Cy Chen crappola to rest? This guy is far from the real Cy..Our team is just a collection of mental thinking players who buy in to that bullsh*t.. Harrelson and his silly stuff....We win...Chen loses....

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Nice to finally beat these guys. Now, can Detroit lose on a day we win? I really would like to have 23 as our magic number after tonight.

delben91
09-08-2012, 07:01 PM
The Danks family sucks at baseball .

Maybe they suck at Major League Baseball (and even that I'd argue against for John), but I'd venture they'd never have gotten drafted in the first place if they truly sucked at baseball.

For example, I, delben91 suck at baseball.

delben91
09-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Players should never make mistakes. Ever.

Never ever.

Probably should never use Reed in the 9th again after last night either.

delben91
09-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Reed's 18.00 ERA this series is not encouraging.

Both runs today should be unearned, but Danks never touched the ball, so it was ruled a hit.

shingo10
09-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Players should never make mistakes. Ever.

Never ever.

Probably should never use Reed in the 9th again after last night either.

Let's look at his track record in left field this year...

There was the game against the Dodgers where he went diving for a ball in extra innings and came up empty. That led to the winning run.

There was another game (forget against who) in which came in a promptly crashed into the wall coming up empty.

Then there was today. I feel more comfortable with Tank out there. Just my opinion.

DumpJerry
09-08-2012, 07:40 PM
His name is BRUCE Chen.

TDog
09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Concerned about having Reed as our closer.

Anyone you have as a closer will be a concern. Today it looked like Reed was channeling Valverde, but I had no idea that Danks should have caught a less stressful third out.

Having Viciedo batting third, I think, was key today to beating Chen. It would have been a better lineup if Youkilis were starting at third base, but Ramirez drove in run that put the Sox ahead to stay from the usual Youkilis spot. Flowers, who seems a must-start against Chen, opened the game up a bit. Unfortunately, the Sox couldn't score against the second-string bullpen, despite loading the bases with one out. Last night they lost by two runs and three times failed to score runners who got to third with less than two outs. You would think a team so dependent on home runs would be able to get some sacrifice flies. When the score was 5-1, I was thinking how nice it would be if the game were 8-1.

The Royals are a loose team and right now may be playing the best offensively of any team in the division, even if they get thrown out at home on zero-out extra-base hits.

Leaving Reed in the game with the tying run on first and then second to get the hitter who took him deep in Friday night's loss was what made today's ninth especially nerve-wracking. Reed deserves credit for not breaking. Still, I don't expect him to be closing Sunday.

Sunday, the Royals have their best pitcher, at least their best pitcher at the moment, going against the Sox. Since his last start against the White Sox, the Red Sox roughed him up, but he beat the Tigers and Rangers. Hopefully, he's due for another bad game, the White Sox have figured him out, and Santiago is able to go deep in holding down the Royals.

thomas35forever
09-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Not so tough now, are you, Mr. Chen?

PalehosePlanet
09-08-2012, 08:00 PM
We scored 5 runs against both Mendoza and Chen, in six innings or less, and should have won both games.

Tomorrow is Guthrie's turn to give up five --- hopefully.

vinny
09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
We skedaddled in the bottom of the 8th and I was checking the score as we waited for the Red Line train, telling my son that we should see the fireworks soon, after all there were two outs!

5-2, 2 outs...
5-3, 2 outs... :o:
5-4, 2 outs... :angry:

Thank Gawd they finally closed it out.

Watching from Sec. 550, I thought somebody (maybe Coop?) got tossed in the aftermath of the ****ed-up call on the play at the plate in the 3rd, but apparently not.

XplodingScorbord
09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Sox lose, five pages of complaints. Sox win, two pages of complaints. Dark clouds rejoice!

DumpJerry
09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Watching from Sec. 550, I thought somebody (maybe Coop?) got tossed in the aftermath of the ****ed-up call on the play at the plate in the 3rd, but apparently not.
It was Parent. The call was bad.

Brian26
09-08-2012, 08:58 PM

Or Brant Brown. These September games are where legends are made.

Lip Man 1
09-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe the Mayans are right...maybe the world is coming to an end...the Sox finally won a game against the garbage Royals!

:o:

And they did it without three starters!!

Seven more wins for a winning season.

Xploding:

Maybe it's because Sox fans expect their team to win games.

Lip

The Immigrant
09-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Home run was nice, but PK leaves games on the bases too much. It's the wrist IMO. Reed has a closer's mentality, that's for sure. I assume Coop told him to stay with the heater when he came out, and he did so. Game over.

1 for 11 this year with bases loaded. Unclutch.

GlassSox
09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Really enjoyed being at the game today. That was a terrible call at home plate. The 9th inning was way too dramatic, it looked like Danks should have made that catch.

BigKlu59
09-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Another day in the world for the Bi-Polar Palehose. Enjoying the humps on this roller coaster? Ah, for the days when we lament a pennant run when we are swinging in the September breeze... Not !!!

These guys are squeezing every emotion out of the faithful and I'm sure we'll be catatonic wrecks by game 162, just in time to start over in the play offs...

Go Sox !!!! You're driving me mad, but hey... you're doing better than anyone expected you to do when the bunting was placed for game one in April..

Holdin on to the bar as the coaster continues its adrenline inducing, seritonin spazzing, acid producing adventure..

And oh ya.. Props on the Cohen reference... Halleluia.. They beat the damn Royals... that slide against them was gettin old real fast..

BK59

TheOldRoman
09-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Tigers lose! One more time, Angels!

GlassSox
09-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Tigers lose! One more time, Angels!

Oh yesssssssssssssssssssss :bandance:

guillensdisciple
09-08-2012, 11:02 PM
By dios, how is this team in first place by two games right now?

I'm speechless, absolutely speechless.

The Tigers are dumb, dumbest team I have ever seen ever play. The White Sox basically send them a cake saying "congrats for the DIVIZIAN!" and they refuse to have the cake and eat it too.

Anyway, no complaints. I am happy we finally beat these idiots, and hopefully we win the series tomorrow and take it to the tigers when Monday comes.

Imagine, Sox fans, we could have a 4 game lead come next Friday if we play good baseball.

soxfan1965
09-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Tigers lose! One more time, Angels! That was their ace too, he can be beat! Angels need to help again because this KC team is tough. A good day, NU won too in Evanston tonight, coming from behind.

guillensdisciple
09-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Probably the Vodka in my veins, but lets hang some banners up there Sox.

I think the Cell needs a make over. It's been getting a little stale lately. Make us a team of destiny.

RadioheadRocks
09-08-2012, 11:11 PM
That was their ace too, he can be beat! Angels need to help again because this KC team is tough. A good day, NU won too in Evanston tonight, coming from behind.

Well yeah, he sucked MAJOR ass in the All-Star Game... would have been nice if we were able to capitalize on that, but at least we were able to benefit from it tonight.

asindc
09-08-2012, 11:34 PM
Can we please put the Cy Chen crappola to rest? This guy is far from the real Cy..Our team is just a collection of mental thinking players who buy in to that bullsh*t.. Harrelson and his silly stuff....We win...Chen loses....

FWIW, Tigers fans also call him Cy Chen.

central44
09-09-2012, 12:01 AM
That was their ace too, he can be beat! Angels need to help again because this KC team is tough. A good day, NU won too in Evanston tonight, coming from behind.

Pretty sure that Verlander has been hit hard two of his last three starts (not the one against our Sox, obviously). He's beatable.

Love that the Sox have a 2 game lead, and i'm really optimistic about playing the Tigers in Chicago for a change. They're tough to beat in Detroit, but not a great road team--I feel like they've looked a lot better against us than they actually are. Hopefully the Sox can take care of business tomorrow, then strike a huge blow to Detroit when they come to our park.

delben91
09-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Xploding:

Maybe it's because Sox fans expect their team to win games.

Lip

Expecting to win and always finding something to be unhappy about after any win are two different things.

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Expecting to win and always finding something to be unhappy about after any win are two different things.Yep, a lot of nights all the fun just gets sucked out of the season because of the post-game threads.

thomas35forever
09-09-2012, 02:10 AM
FWIW, Tigers fans also call him Cy Chen.
For those who missed the broadcast, Fox showed a graphic saying besides Verlander, Chen has the most wins vs. AL Central teams since 2010. How is that even possible?:scratch:

johnnyg83
09-09-2012, 02:15 AM
For those who missed the broadcast, Fox showed a graphic saying besides Verlander, Chen has the most wins vs. AL Central teams since 2010. How is that even possible?:scratch:

Longevity in the AL Central

kufram
09-09-2012, 02:43 AM

It is only some fans that have the Cy Chen thing going. I'm sure the players have a little more respect for him. Despite some of his numbers the guy is a veteran that knows how to pitch. He needs the edges to be effective, but clearly, he can be effective.

I'm convinced that some White Sox fans moan no matter what happens. Scapegoats are easy to find when you're looking. It is tiring. Big win. Great night for the bullpen.

LITTLE NELL
09-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Tells you what a sad division the AL Central is.
Chen has 34 wins, Gavin Floyd comes close with 31, I didn't take time to see if anyone has 32 or 33 but it's no one on the Sox.
My guess is if Buerhle wasn't traded he would have been #2.

doublem23
09-09-2012, 08:46 AM
My guess is if Buerhle wasn't traded he would have been #2.

Kind of splitting hairs here, but he wasn't.

Anyways, Buehrle probably wouldn't come anywhere near the top of that list, in 2010 and 2011 he only won 14 games against the other 4 teams in the division (weirdly, the exact same number against each team each year; 2 vs. Cleveland, 2 vs. Detroit, 2 vs. Minnesota, 1 vs. Kansas City). So if he had another usual Buehrle year with the Sox in 2012, he's only have about 20-21 wins by now. Welloff the pace set by Verlander and Chen.

cards press box
09-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey, I like the title of this thread!

:winner

Taking the series today would be very nice!

TDog
09-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Maybe they suck at Major League Baseball (and even that I'd argue against for John), but I'd venture they'd never have gotten drafted in the first place if they truly sucked at baseball.

For example, I, delben91 suck at baseball.

I know where you're coming from. And to the best of my knowledge, there was never a WSI thread in which people were venting rage over you being sent back to the minors in favor of Dewayne Wise.

LITTLE NELL
09-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Kind of splitting hairs here, but he wasn't.

Anyways, Buehrle probably wouldn't come anywhere near the top of that list, in 2010 and 2011 he only won 14 games against the other 4 teams in the division (weirdly, the exact same number against each team each year; 2 vs. Cleveland, 2 vs. Detroit, 2 vs. Minnesota, 1 vs. Kansas City). So if he had another usual Buehrle year with the Sox in 2012, he's only have about 20-21 wins by now. Welloff the pace set by Verlander and Chen.

Oops, I mis-read the thread, I thought it was total wins, not just against the Central Division, since 2010.

Lip Man 1
09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Kufram:

You can also count Hawk among those who call him "Cy" ****ing Chen". (exact quote...)

Lip

kufram
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Kufram:

You can also count Hawk among those who call him "Cy" ****ing Chen". (exact quote...)

Lip

That speaks for itself.

SI1020
09-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I've called him Cy Chen too. I guess if some had their way it would be a bannable offense. I was quite happy he got slapped around a bit by the Sox yesterday. It's about time.