PDA

View Full Version : When did Frank become expensive?

Kilroy
07-27-2002, 06:54 PM
With all the players out there making 14 mil and up, when did Thomas all of a sudden become pricey? I remember at 9+ mil 2 years ago, he was a bargain. What happened?

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-27-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
With all the players out there making 14 mil and up, when did Thomas all of a sudden become pricey? I remember at 9+ mil 2 years ago, he was a bargain. What happened?

It's a combination of things really. We have a lot of players that are due for a big pay raise, him included. That, and the fact that he really blows this season.

Paulwny
07-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

It's a combination of things really. We have a lot of players that are due for a big pay raise, him included.

Agree, JR wants~ the same payroll next year. Again it's the bottom line.

Kilroy
07-27-2002, 07:10 PM
Frank isn't due a big pay raise. He gets basically the same amount for this season and the next 3, as memory serves.

And launching Durham's 5+ mil isn't a small consideration.

Paulwny
07-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Frank isn't due a big pay raise. He gets basically the same amount for this season and the next 3, as memory serves.

And launching Durham's 5+ mil isn't a small consideration.

I think they might not want to go to arbitration with PK and will offer him a long term contract, equal to or bigger then Maggs.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 07:24 PM

With Thomas it's not that he's making a lot of money. Teams are concerned about his hitting. He has to show that the first half of this year was rehab type hitting. A lot of teams think he is done.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

With Thomas it's not that he's making a lot of money. Teams are concerned about his hitting. He has to show that the first half of this year was rehab type hitting. A lot of teams think he is done.

if he has a repeat performance next yr, give him in no certain terms that he should retire, that they will evoke the clause of his contract.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The Twins don't. Whhaatt!

KingXerxes
07-27-2002, 11:38 PM
Assuming that everyone here agrees that players are compensated for the performance in the here and now, and not for services rendered in the past, I have to believe that Frank Thomas became seriously overpaid when he stopped hitting .300 and became a DH only. If he were a free agent at the end of this year, I seriously doubt anybody would be offering him $9,000,000 per. I can think of plenty of players I would rather have going forward in the major leagues than Thomas...plenty of them. This was not the case a few years ago, but sadly it is now.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Assuming that everyone here agrees that players are compensated for the performance in the here and now, and not for services rendered in the past, I have to believe that Frank Thomas became seriously overpaid when he stopped hitting .300 and became a DH only. If he were a free agent at the end of this year, I seriously doubt anybody would be offering him $9,000,000 per. I can think of plenty of players I would rather have going forward in the major leagues than Thomas...plenty of them. This was not the case a few years ago, but sadly it is now.

what is your opinion on loyalty?

if thomas come around, do you not think we should keep him?

KingXerxes
07-27-2002, 11:54 PM
Loyalty (short of Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn) is usually something somebody brings up as "sour grapes" after they have just been shown the door.

Example - Mark (The Ass Kisser) Grace wants to arbitrate with the Cubs for his 2001 salary (which has to end up as $5mm on the low end and $6.5mm on the high end). The Cubs say forget it, and offer him somewhere around $4mm per year - he tells them to shove it and tests the waters as a free agent. He ends up signing with Arizona for $3mm (which was about his market) and then screams that the Cubs showed no loyalty to him. Huh? Isn't this a two-way street? Why the hell should a team pay a player more than he's worth? If a player (see Jamie Navarro) totally bombs out - is there ever any pressure for him to remit part of his compensation back?

If Frank Thomas comes around and starts to hit like his old self, then sure we should keep him, but if he continues to struggle? I can assure you this much, Frank Thomas will not display his loyalty to the White Sox and state that he'll play for far less because his skills have eroded.
Unfortunately, the total and absolute emphasis on winning in this day and age has rendered player to team loyalty, and team to player loyalty dead.

LongDistanceFan
07-28-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes

that is all good points. i can make a counter, but i am having a rough time making it into a coherent statement. however, i have said that if frank doesn't rebound next yr, then you tell him to retire or that you can evoke the clause. give him the option and let him decide for himself. it was the same thing when the sox asked fisk to retire and he said no.