PDA

View Full Version : 2012 MLB.com's Top 100 Prospects

doublem23
09-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Sox placed 0 in the Top 100, by my quick overview, they were the only team shut out.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/

They did do a Top 20 for every team. Ours are as follows:

Trayce Thompson
Courtney Hawkins
Charlie Leesman
Nestor Molina
Keenyn Walker
Scott Snodgress
Carlos Sanchez
Erik Johnson
Jared Mitchell
Keon Barnum
Josh Phegley
Jacob Petricka
Jhan Martinez
Kevan Smith
Simon Castro
Tyler Saladino
Brandon Brennan
Andre Reinzo
Marcus Semien
Chris Beck

rdivaldi
10-28-2012, 01:24 AM
1) Trayce Thompson
2) Courtney Hawkins
3) Charlie Leesman
4) Nestor Molina
5) Keenyn Walker
6) Scott Snodgrass
7) Carlos Sanchez
8) Erik Johnson
9) Jared Mitchell
10) Keon Barnum
11) Josh Phegley
12) Jacob Petricka
13) Jhan Marinez
14) Kevan Smith
15) Simon Castro
16) Tyler Saladino
17) Brandon Brennan
18) Andre Rienzo
19) Marcus Semien
20) Chris Beck

California Sox
10-28-2012, 05:16 PM
That is some serious overrating of Leesman. (And underrated Johnson, if you ask me.). Semien had good numbers but his splits are Viciedo-like in his love of LH pitching.

Otherwise, kinda in line with what you'd expect.

SCCWS
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Thompson is a 6-4, 200 pound right-handed hitter and thrower, born March 15, 1991. The White Sox drafted him in the second round in 2009, from high school in Santa Margarita, California. A chiseled athlete, he has excellent raw power and has been a productive source of home runs (he hit 24 last year in Low-A), but his swing is long and he has significant problems with contact.

Thompson is the top prospect. He should fit right in.

rdivaldi
10-28-2012, 10:30 PM
That is some serious overrating of Leesman. (And underrated Johnson, if you ask me.)

Agreed and agreed. I would also say that they are vastly underrating Rienzo as well. I understand about the suspension, but he still came back and pitched well, and he's also doing well in the AFL.

doublem23
10-29-2012, 09:30 AM
Agreed and agreed. I would also say that they are vastly underrating Rienzo as well. I understand about the suspension, but he still came back and pitched well, and he's also doing well in the AFL.

These rankings were released before the AFL started, right after the minor league regular season ended around Labor Day. I think Reinzo is going to make a huge leap, too. Really excited for whenever he finally makes it to the show.

rdivaldi
10-29-2012, 10:50 AM
These rankings were released before the AFL started, right after the minor league regular season ended around Labor Day.

True, but when Rienzo came back, he pitched very well at 2 levels higher than the one he got suspended at. Anyway, I am also hopeful that he can continue to progress and possibly get a shot next year.

doublem23
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
True, but when Rienzo came back, he pitched very well at 2 levels higher than the one he got suspended at. Anyway, I am also hopeful that he can continue to progress and possibly get a shot next year.

Yeah, you're correct, but I've felt he's always been kind of under the radar, especially for people who don't follow the Sox minor league system too closely. Considering the Sox really haven't had a prospect worth watching in 2-3 years it's no surprise that a lot of national scouts kind of gloss over the system and don't see some of the other guys. Supposedly Reinzo's really been opening some eyes around the league in the AFL. I think if these rankings were released after the AFL season, he'd be given a lot more respect.