PDA

View Full Version : Cubs on Full Tilt

#1swisher
09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Comcast SportsNet

Looks like Cubs bench coach Jamie Quirk and Nationals 3B coach Bo Porter had an exchange of words which led to the benches clearing.

Patrick Mooney
Sveum, Borzello had to step in front of Quirk while Porter came at Cubs dugout. Looks like Quirk was ejected after jawing w/Porter, umps.

Video:
http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/benches_clear_on_two_occasions_during_cubs_nationa ls_game_videos/11647732

GlassSox
09-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Nats aren't scared, Cubs can't hit anything

SOXPHILE
09-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah, this is some funny **** here. The benches have cleared like three times in the past couple of innings. I think getting their ass kicked for the third straight game, on the verge of losing their 6th in a row on a season long march to 100 losses, is giving the lovable losers a few chapped asses.
I love it. So as not to be accused of being "Cubsessed", I actually have vested interest in these games. I bet a fellow Sox fan at work that the Cubs would lose 100 this year. She did not think they would, topping out at around 96 or 97. I am more optimistic though, I know they can do it.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Yeah, this is some funny **** here. The benches have cleared like three times in the past couple of innings. I think getting their ass kicked for the third straight game, on the verge of losing their 6th in a row on a season long march to 100 losses, is giving the lovable losers a few chapped asses.
I love it. So as not to be accused of being "Cubsessed", I actually have vested interest in these games. I bet a fellow Sox fan at work that the Cubs would lose 100 this year. She did not think they would, topping out at around 96 or 97. I am more optimistic though, I know they can do it.

The power of positive thinking !

fram40
09-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Harold Reynolds and Sean Casey were pretty rough on the Cubs for starting this bs. Seems the Cubs were a bit put out that a Nat would be swinging on a 3 - 0 pitch in the bottom of the fifth in a 7 - 2 game. Not only did Jamie Quirk yell out "We Suck. please take it easy on us!", they also threw a pitch at Bryce Harper.

Must be a bitch to root for such losers.

WhiteSoxOnly
09-06-2012, 11:48 PM
Harold Reynolds and Sean Casey were pretty rough on the Cubs for starting this bs. Seems the Cubs were a bit put out that a Nat would be swinging on a 3 - 0 pitch in the bottom of the fifth in a 7 - 2 game. Not only did Jamie Quirk yell out "We Suck. please take it easy on us!", they also threw a pitch at Bryce Harper.

It's a life sentence.

slavko
09-07-2012, 12:02 AM
How long did it take Piniella to get to Defeated and Disinterested? Sveum looks the part already. Oh hell, if he stays the course, or if the team lets him stay the course, he might be rewarded. Maybe.

voodoochile
09-07-2012, 12:57 AM
It's a life sentence.

No I can attest that's not the case. The disease can be beaten. I'm a living testament to that fact.

StillMissOzzie
09-07-2012, 01:30 AM

The Cubs my have also been miffed that someone on the Nats stole 2nd base in that same inning. Sure, it's a 5 run lead, but barely half way through the game. I must have missed where the Cubs ran up the white flag.

SMO
:gulp:

DSpivack
09-07-2012, 02:10 AM
No I can attest that's not the case. The disease can be beaten. I'm a living testament to that fact.

My body beat it off when I was but a wee lad and I've been immune ever since.

SOX LA Mikey
09-07-2012, 02:47 AM
I programed my DVR to record "The Biggest Loser"
and it recorded a Cubs / Astros game....

Hitmen77
09-07-2012, 09:57 AM

It's all part of Theo's master plan.

Red Barchetta
09-07-2012, 10:20 AM
The Cubs my have also been miffed that someone on the Nats stole 2nd base in that same inning. Sure, it's a 5 run lead, but barely half way through the game. I must have missed where the Cubs ran up the white flag.

SMO
:gulp:

That's because the Nationals are chasing a pennant and the post-season. They don't quit playing in the 5th inning.

The Cubs and their division dwelling Houston Astros own the two worst records in MLB and are the only two teams mathematically eliminated from the post-season so they get upset with other teams play all out for a full game...

PatK
09-07-2012, 11:44 AM

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i191/hissyspit/RimShotJohnnyUtah.jpg

Lip Man 1
09-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Fights on the field, the 7th inning singer, "beautiful" Wrigley Field, party in the bleachers...simply bread and circuses to distract the masses that the reason for the organization is to win baseball games.

And they've sucked at that more or less the past 70 years.

Lip

moochpuppy
09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
How long did it take Piniella to get to Defeated and Disinterested? Sveum looks the part already. Oh hell, if he stays the course, or if the team lets him stay the course, he might be rewarded. Maybe.

Ryne Sandberg is one of the happiest men in baseball right now.

PaleHoser
09-07-2012, 01:33 PM

:kneeslap:

I nominate this for Post of the Week.

Dan H
09-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Cubs commercials show 7th inning singing as a reason to come out to the ball park. The team really thinks this is great marketing. Then again, knowing how dumb Cub fans are, maybe it is.

The last three games with the Nationals were a joke. TV cameras showed Cub fans in attendance with all dressed in blue. I wouldn't be tempeted to just say I was a Cub fan much less adverstise it.

Brawls? Cub fans should be brawling with their team. The team is a true disgrace starting with its owner.

SI1020
09-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Cubs commercials show 7th inning singing as a reason to come out to the ball park. The team really thinks this is great marketing. Then again, knowing how dumb Cub fans are, maybe it is.

The last three games with the Nationals were a joke. TV cameras showed Cub fans in attendance with all dressed in blue. I wouldn't be tempeted to just say I was a Cub fan much less adverstise it.

Brawls? Cub fans should be brawling with their team. The team is a true disgrace starting with its owner. Even a genius like Theo can't make it happen right away. He just needs more time. I mean he did it in Boston all by himself didn't he? I'm sure he can do it again.

kittle42
09-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Yeah, this is great stuff. They started those commercials about a month ago - that's when you know you *really* suck - Come see what celebrity will sing during the 7th inning!

Reminds me of those few years when the Bulls basically marketed by saying, "Come see Shaq, Kobe, etc."

DrCrawdad
09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Even a genius like Theo can't make it happen right away. He just needs more time. I mean he did it in Boston all by himself didn't he? I'm sure he can do it again.

Please tell me you're being sarcastic and you just forgot to use teal.

jdm2662
09-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah, this is great stuff. They started those commercials about a month ago - that's when you know you *really* suck - Come see what celebrity will sing during the 7th inning!

Reminds me of those few years when the Bulls basically marketed by saying, "Come see Shaq, Kobe, etc."

Hell, we can say the same thing about the Sox marketing this season. It didn't exactly excite the fan base, hence, the miserable number of season tickets/advanced sales. Marketing departments of sports teams are in a bind when your team is expected to suck.

DumpJerry
09-07-2012, 05:39 PM
There's a Facebook meme going around that says the same thing except it ends with "it keeps recording Green Bay Packer games."

SI1020
09-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Please tell me you're being sarcastic and you just forgot to use teal. I do that sometimes. I mean really, I know I'm not a big cheese around here, but my sentiments on this subject have been pretty consistent. I must fly way below the radar. I just like to :stirpot: every now and then.

CoopaLoop
09-07-2012, 08:52 PM
If I was Epstein, I think I would have ripped apart the clubhouse after one of my bench coaches apparently thought a 5 run game int he 5th is time to pack it in.

Hitmen77
09-07-2012, 10:32 PM
It looks like the Cubs are taking their frustrations out on the Pirates tonight.

Dan H
09-08-2012, 04:43 AM
Hell, we can say the same thing about the Sox marketing this season. It didn't exactly excite the fan base, hence, the miserable number of season tickets/advanced sales. Marketing departments of sports teams are in a bind when your team is expected to suck.

I agree with this on several points. Marketing is a tough when your team is a loser. But sometimes I think Ricketts believes everything will be okay as long the team sells the singing, the ivy and the rooftops. It is getting stale.

Maybe the team should save some money and not run any commercials. Soemtimes things should be left unsaid.

34rancher
09-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Oh the tough guy cubs.....
Verducci chimes in
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/09/07/zach-britton-orioles-cubs-beanball/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Hitmen77
09-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Verducci chimes in
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tom_verducci/09/07/zach-britton-orioles-cubs-beanball/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

This whining by the Cubs reminds me of the Dusty-era whining they used to do when they played the White Sox. I remember there was an instance where he took exception to a Sox player sliding hard into 2nd to break up a double play. I think there were others too.

CUBS BASEBALL: Please Stop Playing So Hard Against Us! :whiner:

RadioheadRocks
09-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Verducci chimes in

Excellent column, and the comments (especially coming from sCrUB fans with their undies in a twist) are golden.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Excellent column, and the comments (especially coming from sCrUB fans with their undies in a twist) are golden.

One idiot commenter doubles down by asserting that you do not swing at a 3-0 pitch with a five-run lead at ANY time. Everyone who's ever been in a major league clubhouse knows this -- so he says. Is there any length a Flubs fan won't go to? Why not just give yourself a break, admit that it's a nightmare season, watch if you can enjoy it (including making fun of the awful players you're stuck with for now, a fan's prerogative), don't watch if you can't. Wow.

Dan H
09-09-2012, 09:02 AM
One idiot commenter doubles down by asserting that you do not swing at a 3-0 pitch with a five-run lead at ANY time. Everyone who's ever been in a major league clubhouse knows this -- so he says. Is there any length a Flubs fan won't go to? Why not just give yourself a break, admit that it's a nightmare season, watch if you can enjoy it (including making fun of the awful players you're stuck with for now, a fan's prerogative), don't watch if you can't. Wow.

No, Cubs fans know no length when it comes to justifying their team's awful tradition. They will twist logic, show their complete lack of knowledge and pray that the White Sox don't make the playoffs. THen if their team finally ever gets to the World Series, they will say how great it is because it took so long. Of course, by that time most will be in nursing homes wetting all over themselves, but that's another story.

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Verducci chimes in

That's a great article. Had the Nationals been doing that in the 8th inning then maybe the Cubs would have had a point in being angry but if you're up by five in the 5th you can still lose the game.

SOXSINCE'70
09-10-2012, 01:41 PM
I prefer to agree with Sean Casey on the MLB network who asked this question (and I paraphrase here,forgive me). :

"If you're so mad, how about striking out some hitters"?

cub killer
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
That's a great article. Had the Nationals been doing that in the 8th inning then maybe the Cubs would have had a point in being angry but if you're up by five in the 5th you can still lose the game.They would have had no point in being angry at any point in the game. These are adult professionals, the other team's job is to keep scoring runs on you no matter what. It's your job to stop them, legally.

In baseball, it ain't over 'till it's over, so no lead is big enough, really. You just gotta man up and retire your opposition, within the rules. I would never want an opponent to take it easy on me, it would be insulting.