PDA

View Full Version : Sox news from Gammons

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 04:09 PM
But check the accompanying box and see some of those unclaimable players; when there was a report that the Red Sox were interested in assuming Frank Thomas' contract (which escalates if he is traded), one Boston official called it "absurd" and added, "someone could get fired for bringing up his name."

White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf has told other owners that virtually everyone on his roster is available, and will take bids on reliever Keith Foulke as well as do a similar Ray Durham giveaway on starting pitcher Todd Ritchie, outfielder Carlos Lee and several other veterans.

The Cubs are trying to unload Tom Gordon and the White Sox may move Keith Foulke and his $6 million salary for 2003.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

It's ironic that someone in the Red Sox organization is against bringing in Frank Thomas after Boston accquired Tony Clark last November- one of the stupidest moves that organization has made in recent history.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's ironic that someone in the Red Sox organization is against bringing in Frank Thomas after Boston accquired Tony Clark last November- one of the stupidest moves that organization has made in recent history.

It's all about the money.

They don't want to be locked into paying Frank 10 million dollars.

Tragg
07-27-2002, 04:18 PM

Don't be so hasty. You don't like Nixon? hello Tony Clark - he is far more likely to take Frank's place in the world of kenny williams.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Don't be so hasty. You don't like Nixon? hello Tony Clark - he is far more likely to take Frank's place in the world of kenny williams.

You misunderstood my earlier post. I never said I don't like Nixon. He is a good player. He hits for average and has some power. He hustles, plays solid defense, and is a Fenway fan-favorite. But he's not in Frank's class. Not even close. That's why I don't want KW trading for him. I suppose that asking too much though if I think that Williams could get more in exchange for Thomas. Every GM in baseball knows that he's an idiot.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-27-2002, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Todd Ritchie needs to just go away. It would bring a little closure to the horrible trade that was made last winter. Maybe getting rid of Ritchie would finally stop us from thinking about losing Sean Lowe and Kip Wells.

Tragg
07-27-2002, 04:44 PM

You misunderstood my earlier post. I never said I don't like Nixon. He is a good player. He hits for average and has some power. He hustles, plays solid defense, and is a Fenway fan-favorite. But he's not in Frank's class. Not even close. That's why I don't want KW trading for him. I suppose that asking too much though if I think that Williams could get more in exchange for Thomas. Every GM in baseball knows that he's an idiot.

I think you misunderstood mine as well. Kenny ain't gettin trot. Kenny's getting offerman or tony clark, plus a young pitcher.

That's what I was trying to say - you'll LONG for nixon when you see this deal.

Paulwny
07-27-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by NUKE_CLEVELAND

Todd Ritchie needs to just go away. It would bring a little closure to the horrible trade that was made last winter. Maybe getting rid of Ritchie would finally stop us from thinking about losing Sean Lowe and Kip Wells.

Now.possibly we'll give Ritchie away for some minor league nobody. So the trade ends up being Wells, Fogg and Lowe for a minor league player.
This will be the worst trade in sox history.
Where's the firing squad.

Kilroy
07-27-2002, 06:24 PM
Man, you guys are so quick to want someone gone. There wasn't a day that went buy that someone didn't say "trade Durham". He got traded, and all there was were complaints. "We didn't get **** for him". Now you wanna give Ritchie away. Sure, he sucks right now, but that doesn't mean he will continue to blow. He's never had a season this bad. But, he also never had a season under the brilliant coaching of Nardi.

I seem to remember a fat-ass, loud-mouth pitcher on the Southside last year who went 5-7 and generally sucked before hurting himself and being out for the season. Remember him? He's 11-5 this year.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-27-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny

Now.possibly we'll give Ritchie away for some minor league nobody. So the trade ends up being Wells, Fogg and Lowe for a minor league player.
This will be the worst trade in sox history.
Where's the firing squad.

Id be more than happy to be in KW's firing squad, but you can't deny that Ritchie has been a total bust here in Chicago. Whatever the case may be, Ritchies days around here are numbered.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Man, you guys are so quick to want someone gone. There wasn't a day that went buy that someone didn't say "trade Durham". He got traded, and all there was were complaints. "We didn't get **** for him". Now you wanna give Ritchie away. Sure, he sucks right now, but that doesn't mean he will continue to blow. He's never had a season this bad. But, he also never had a season under the brilliant coaching of Nardi.

I seem to remember a fat-ass, loud-mouth pitcher on the Southside last year who went 5-7 and generally sucked before hurting himself and being out for the season. Remember him? He's 11-5 this year.

David Wells is lazy, but he actually has talent. He knows how to pitch. I thought Ritchie knew how to pitch, too, but it looks like he's lost something. He needs to be removed from the starting rotation. Perhaps a low-pressure role would allow him to work on his mechanics and get back to being the pitcher he was.

Also, David Wells plays for the Yankees. Most pitches are able to post winning records with that team.

Kilroy
07-27-2002, 11:50 PM
...David Wells plays for the Yankees. Most pitches are able to post winning records with that team.

If his ERA was 6.5, I'd agree with this. But his ERA is in the 3's. That means that he's doing the job.