PDA

View Full Version : Campaign for one more at-bat for Adam Greenberg

thomas35forever
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/filmmaker-creates-campaign-to-give-adam-greenberg-one-at-bat/
Would this even be a story if it wasn't an ex-Cub?

amsteel
09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
I just saw this today. What do the Cubs have to lose? Market it properly and they sell a couple thousand extra tickets to an otherwise meaningless and empty early October game.

Nellie_Fox
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I just saw this today. What do the Cubs have to lose? Market it properly and they sell a couple thousand extra tickets to an otherwise meaningless and empty early October game.MLB doesn't do one-day contracts. I don't know what they'd be, but I'm sure there would be some MLBPA issues to resolve regarding what they'd have to pay him.

DumpJerry
09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/filmmaker-creates-campaign-to-give-adam-greenberg-one-at-bat/
Would this even be a story if it wasn't an ex-Cub?
Yes.

Lip Man 1
09-04-2012, 04:50 PM
According to the Tribune the Cubs are going to take a pass on him.

Lip

PalehosePlanet
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Odd fact: Both Greenberg and Moonlight Graham are University of North Carolina grads.

ElevenUp
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Odd fact: Both Greenberg and Moonlight Graham are University of North Carolina grads.

Did they major in African and Afro American Studies?

guillensdisciple
09-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Did they major in African and Afro American Studies?

Huh?

ElevenUp
09-05-2012, 05:21 AM
Huh?

Recent scandal regarding that academic department. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11090438/

Nellie_Fox
09-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Recent scandal regarding that academic department. http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11090438/And it couldn't possibly be less relevant to the thread.

OldRomanPizza
09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
At the end of the day, Major League Baseball is not the Make-a-Wish Foundation.

soxfanatlanta
09-06-2012, 06:56 AM

This.

I like the story, but this ain't the movies.

PatK
09-06-2012, 01:29 PM
If they did bring him in, if I was pitching against him I'd drill him. Or walk him.

Anything so he doesn't get an "at bat"

cub killer
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM
If they did bring him in, if I was pitching against him I'd drill him. Or walk him.

Drill him, are you kidding me? That's horrible. You gotta treat him as anybody else, and fan him on 3 straight.

amsteel
09-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Give him a wedgie and dump a drink out on him while you're at it

SephClone89
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM

You, sir, sound like a huge jackass.

getonbckthr
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Game 162, 9th inning kid comes up with 2 outs, the pitcher picks the guy off of 1st base to end the season. :D:

guillensdisciple
09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
you, sir, sound like a huge jackass.

+1

PatK
09-07-2012, 10:43 AM
You, sir, sound like a huge jackass.

Thank you

Red Barchetta
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
If he had played for the Royals this would be a non-story.

However, if you're a bored Cub fan on the way to a 100 game losing season, what else do you have to do before football?

Wish the guy well, however there are many prospects who want the same thing.

Dibbs
09-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Is he good enough to get a major league at bat? I doubt it.

This is only a story if the player is on the Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox. If he was on any other team it wouldn't be talked about.

SaltyPretzel
09-27-2012, 08:20 AM
He's going to bat for the Marlins Tuesday:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-seven-years-after-beaning-excub-greenberg-getting-second-chance-20120927,0,3763486.story

soxfan1965
09-27-2012, 08:27 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-seven-years-after-beaning-excub-greenberg-getting-second-chance-20120927,0,3763486.story

That's really great that MLB agreed to this. Also, as flawed as Ozzie is, he is probably a great manager for this occasion, as he has a knack of truly empathizing with players through their joys and sorrows. Go Adam! :bandance:

doublem23
09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
Nice to see these two loser franchises can continue their intertwinement

Steelrod
09-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Ozzie with give him 4 takes!

doublem23
09-27-2012, 09:01 AM
What are the odds Ozzie asks him to bunt?

Nellie_Fox
09-27-2012, 11:45 AM
:?: :scratch:

doublem23
09-27-2012, 11:48 AM
:?: :scratch:

I'm guessing he meant Ozzie will give him 4 "take" signs so he'd draw a walk and still not get an official at bat.

thomas35forever
09-27-2012, 12:41 PM
/thread

soxfanatlanta
09-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Well, at least a few Cub fans will show up at Marlins Park that day.

SoxFanCPA
09-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Nice to see these two loser franchises can continue their intertwinement
:scratch: They have been in existence for 20 years and have 2 titles. It took us 90 years to do the same thing.

doublem23
09-28-2012, 09:33 AM
:scratch: They have been in existence for 20 years and have 2 titles. It took us 90 years to do the same thing.

And they're well on their way to their 6th last place finish in those 20 years. Look, I'm jealous of their 2 titles but they're clearly just the result of dumb fluke luck, they have never had any sort of sustained success.

FWIW, the Sox have never finished in last place since the Marlins have existed, and by my quick count, to find the 6 most recent last-place finishes for our beloved, you have to start at 1931.

They're losers.

WhiteSox5187
09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
And they're well on their way to their 6th last place finish in those 20 years. Look, I'm jealous of their 2 titles but they're clearly just the result of dumb fluke luck, they have never had any sort of sustained success.

FWIW, the Sox have never finished in last place since the Marlins have existed, and by my quick count, to find the 6 most recent last-place finishes for our beloved, you have to start at 1931.

They're losers.

I don't know if I would say they were a result of dumb fluke luck, had that 1997 team not been dismantled they could have been a good team for awhile. The 2003 Marlins had decent years in '04 and '05 and then they started to rebuild again (you could argue they started to rebuild in '04 when they dealt guys like Derek Lee and Ivan Rodriguez). The Marlins build these teams that are meant to compete for a year or two and then they quickly ship off their best players, but I don't think it's any more of a fluke than the 2005 White Sox were.

doublem23
09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't know if I would say they were a result of dumb fluke luck, had that 1997 team not been dismantled they could have been a good team for awhile. The 2003 Marlins had decent years in '04 and '05 and then they started to rebuild again (you could argue they started to rebuild in '04 when they dealt guys like Derek Lee and Ivan Rodriguez). The Marlins build these teams that are meant to compete for a year or two and then they quickly ship off their best players, but I don't think it's any more of a fluke than the 2005 White Sox were.

You can make a strong argument that pretty much every World Series winner has to have come kind of dumb luck fluke to make it all the way, in the case of the '05 Sox, the bullpen that season was RIDICULOUSLY good. But the '05 Sox were also the very best team in the American League, if not the Majors, for that season. What they did in 2004 and 2006 has no real bearing on the 2005 season, again, in which they were the very best.

If you want to argue special circumstances led to the demise of the Marlins' championship teams from 1997 and 2003, that's fine, I respect that. But I'll also note that neither the '97 Marlins or '03 Marlins were the best team in their own division for either of those years. I am envious of their success and ability to close the deal when they get there, but, when coupled with the way they keep bottoming out, I would have to say just a lot of luck lead to a lot of their success. Good for them, but still losers.

cub killer
09-28-2012, 05:00 PM
You can make a strong argument that pretty much every World Series winner has to have come kind of dumb luck fluke to make it all the way, in the case of the '05 Sox, the bullpen that season was RIDICULOUSLY good. But the '05 Sox were also the very best team in the American League, if not the Majors, for that season. What they did in 2004 and 2006 has no real bearing on the 2005 season, again, in which they were the very best.

If you want to argue special circumstances led to the demise of the Marlins' championship teams from 1997 and 2003, that's fine, I respect that. But I'll also note that neither the '97 Marlins or '03 Marlins were the best team in their own division for either of those years. I am envious of their success and ability to close the deal when they get there, but, when coupled with the way they keep bottoming out, I would have to say just a lot of luck lead to a lot of their success. Good for them, but still losers.
They weren't the best during the regular season, but the playoffs supercedes all of that. The Marlins proved themselves better than the Braves both years in the playoffs, and thus ultimately proved they were the best in their division even though they weren't division champs. World Series Champs wipes out division champs by a country mile.

Winning World Series is never a fluke. It takes more mettle than many realize. The 97 team was a solid group of mercenaries, and the 03 team may have been the most exciting WS winning team to watch. They aren't losers. Only the Yanks have won more WS since 1983, and the Marlins didn't even exist for the 1st 10 years.

MarySwiss
09-29-2012, 12:27 AM

That's really great that MLB agreed to this. Also, as flawed as Ozzie is, he is probably a great manager for this occasion, as he has a knack of truly empathizing with players through their joys and sorrows. Go Adam! :bandance:

I agree. Good for him!

TommyJohn
09-29-2012, 05:39 AM
I think it's a little silly myself. What makes Adam Greenberg so special, as opposed to others who got into one major league game, then never played in another? Or the tons of guys who rode the rails in the minors for years and never sniffed even one major league game? But whatever.

doublem23
09-29-2012, 05:46 AM
They weren't the best during the regular season, but the playoffs supercedes all of that. The Marlins proved themselves better than the Braves both years in the playoffs, and thus ultimately proved they were the best in their division even though they weren't division champs. World Series Champs wipes out division champs by a country mile.

That's absurdly ridiculous. I'm not saying they shouldn't be World Series champions, but there's a distinction between that and best team in baseball. A 7-game series does not automatically overrule a 162-game marathon. The 2006 Cardinals were not the best team in baseball that year, they just happened to win the World Series. It happens sometimes.

I'm not saying the Marlins don't seem to have a knack for getting lucky and winning it all when they occasionally get the chance. But look at their franchise history and they're really more Cubs than Yankees.

Bucky F. Dent
09-29-2012, 07:00 AM

Listened to B&B talk to Len Kasper the other day. This is where Kasper came out on it, and I tend to agree.

cub killer
09-29-2012, 05:59 PM
That's absurdly ridiculous. I'm not saying they shouldn't be World Series champions, but there's a distinction between that and best team in baseball. A 7-game series does not automatically overrule a 162-game marathon. The 2006 Cardinals were not the best team in baseball that year, they just happened to win the World Series. It happens sometimes.

I'm not saying the Marlins don't seem to have a knack for getting lucky and winning it all when they occasionally get the chance. But look at their franchise history and they're really more Cubs than Yankees.
You're wrong, the World Series Champion is the best, even if they qualify for the playoffs from a crap division, winning only 70 games. The regular season just separates the playoff teams from the rest, the playoffs are what determines who is the very best.

A 7 game series does overrule the 162 game regular season. Everything is much more magnified in the playoffs, every pitch and every play count for a hell of a lot more. If the top championship was awarded to whoever had the best record at the end of the regular season, you'd see a big difference in results. Teams know if they have leeway, and thus their reg season record isn't necessarily reflective of their worth. It's only reflective of whether they were better than non-playoff teams from their division. The ultimate test of supremacy is in the playoffs. That's what makes the playoffs so epic, because we know that everything is on the line.

So yeah, the 06 Cards were the best. The Mets had their chance to prove they were better than the Cards, but they failed. It's all about the playoffs, regular season records go out the window when the postseason begins. This is common knowledge. You don't combine regular and postseason records at the end, then decide who is best. The slate is clean when October comes. Then only the very best, the team that had the mettle, will raise that Commisioner's Trophy.

And it's never because of luck. It's because the team was damn good enough. Even in Don Denkinger instances, bad calls happen to everyone.

Wedema
09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
You're wrong, the World Series Champion is the best, even if they qualify for the playoffs from a crap division, winning only 70 games. The regular season just separates the playoff teams from the rest, the playoffs are what determines who is the very best.

A 7 game series does overrule the 162 game regular season. Everything is much more magnified in the playoffs, every pitch and every play count for a hell of a lot more. If the top championship was awarded to whoever had the best record at the end of the regular season, you'd see a big difference in results. Teams know if they have leeway, and thus their reg season record isn't necessarily reflective of their worth. It's only reflective of whether they were better than non-playoff teams from their division. The ultimate test of supremacy is in the playoffs. That's what makes the playoffs so epic, because we know that everything is on the line.

So yeah, the 06 Cards were the best. The Mets had their chance to prove they were better than the Cards, but they failed. It's all about the playoffs, regular season records go out the window when the postseason begins. This is common knowledge. You don't combine regular and postseason records at the end, then decide who is best. The slate is clean when October comes. Then only the very best, the team that had the mettle, will raise that Commisioner's Trophy.

And it's never because of luck. It's because the team was damn good enough. Even in Don Denkinger instances, bad calls happen to everyone.

I agree, the World Series champion is the best team in baseball for that year period.

thomas35forever
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Greenberg waited seven years to get struck out by RA Dickey on three pitches. So Cublike. The director now has his ending and can start cashing in on his personal quest.

mzh
10-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Greenberg waited seven years to get struck out by RA Dickey on three pitches. So Cublike. The director now has his ending and can start cashing in on his personal quest.
I don't know about you, but I'd take the opportunity to be up there getting struck out by R.A. Dickey 8 days a week.

WhiteSox5187
10-02-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't know about you, but I'd take the opportunity to be up there getting struck out by R.A. Dickey 8 days a week.

I would too, where can we start the campaign?

Red Barchetta
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM

He was anxious. He took a first pitch strike to settle his nerves and then swung and missed at two high pitches outside the strike zone. It would have been nice if he at least fouled one off.

Oh well, another cute baseball story in the books. It was nice of the Marlins to make the offer, however it would have been better if it was the Cubs. It's not like they were battling for a playoff spot on their way to their 3rd worst season in franchise history. :rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
10-02-2012, 11:09 PM
He was anxious. He took a first pitch strike to settle his nerves and then swung and missed at two high pitches outside the strike zone. It would have been nice if he at least fouled one off.

Oh well, another cute baseball story in the books. It was nice of the Marlins to make the offer, however it would have been better if it was the Cubs. It's not like they were battling for a playoff spot on their way to their 3rd worst season in franchise history. :rolleyes:

I'd love to get struck out in the majors.