PDA

View Full Version : If Frank Thomas is Traded...

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 04:37 PM
...he will make his return to Chicago in late September. If I remember correctly, this series is the last one to be played at Comiskey Park this season. After that, the Sox go to Minnesota for three games.

If and when that time comes, I hope the Big Hurt has the best three-game stretch of his career. I hope he smashes a 525-foot homer that leaves a huge dent in the back wall that is located above the concourse. I also hope he fouls off a pitch that lands in the press box and hits KW in the head.

There. I've said my piece.

Tragg
07-27-2002, 04:44 PM
I have no problem trading frank, if it's a legitimate deal to improve us (versus the durham deal).

My question is - doesn't a trade void the diminished skills clause whereby the acquiring team owes the full contract amount (we can get out of that after this year - the acquirer can't). How could any team take him on?

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I have no problem trading frank, if it's a legitimate deal to improve us (versus the durham deal).

My question is - doesn't a trade void the diminished skills clause whereby the acquiring team owes the full contract amount (we can get out of that after this year - the acquirer can't). How could any team take him on?

Correct. If he is traded that 10 million per gets locked in. Boston owners have deep pockets, plus they want to win.

RKMeibalane
07-27-2002, 04:54 PM

As long as Kenny Williams is the general manager, it will be impossible for the Sox to improve their team. Trading one of the best hitters in baseball for a slightly above average player like Trot Nixon makes no sense. The only good that would come out of that trade would be the departure of Ritchie.

Tragg
07-27-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

As long as Kenny Williams is the general manager, it will be impossible for the Sox to improve their team. Trading one of the best hitters in baseball for a slightly above average player like Trot Nixon makes no sense. The only good that would come out of that trade would be the departure of Ritchie.

Nixon is not a slightly above average player - at least not hitter. Is OBP is well above average, absolutely stratospheric for this team (not at durham's level, but then again, that didn't mean squat to a lot of sox fans).
Frank is expensive, he's aging and will he get it back? I hope he does, but have no idea.
But I will agree, for 10 years, Frank was the best.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

The Red Sox are taking the biggest risk. The WSox can always invoke the clause, Boston cannot. They have to pay him 10 million dollars per season. That is not a lot of money in this day and age, but if he reverts back to bad Frank that won't be good.

I bet if he does get traded, the first thing he'll do is seek out Hriniak.

Tragg
07-27-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The Red Sox are taking the biggest risk. The WSox can always invoke the clause, Boston cannot. They have to pay him 10 million dollars per season. That is not a lot of money in this day and age, but if he reverts back to bad Frank that won't be good.

I bet if he does get traded, the first thing he'll do is seek out Hriniak.

The rumors I've heard sound great. Unfortunately, I don't you'll see Nixon - probably Jose Offerman, the quintessential kenny williams aquisition.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 05:11 PM
The rumors I've heard sound great. Unfortunately, I don't you'll see Nixon - probably Jose Offerman, the quintessential kenny williams aquisition.

I think the Sox would like to move him, but I really don't see anything happening.

NUKE_CLEVELAND
07-27-2002, 05:48 PM

Fear not my friend, if a player really sucks then KW will be all over him.

awesomefan
07-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Nuke_Cleveland: I agree with & like alot of your ideas. I've been reading alot of the messages about keeping or getting rid of The Big Hurt.

Even though I don't like Frank's attitude some of the time & he hasn't had a very good year so far; I think we should give Frank at least the rest of this year to see how he does. Sox management needs to keep in mind that Frank is probably not fully recovered from his arm surgery.

There's many other places you can place blame for the Sox doing so poorly this year.

My main gripe & I mean this intensely, is with Kenny Williams......he's U-N-F-O-U-L-K-E-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-E-A-B-L-E!!!!!

The "Give 3 Get 1 Trade" to the Pittsburg Sox may go down in history as one of the most laughable & dumb trades of all time.

When I think about it, that's how too many of Kenny Williams' deals have come down. Who could forget the Berry/Barry deal?

For a very personal reason I've hated Kenny Williams ever since he dumped my beloved Herbert Perry....I LOVE HERBERT PERRY.

doublem23
07-28-2002, 01:59 AM
Dumping Herbert Perry isn't a problem, but keeping Joe Crede in AAA is.

cornball
07-28-2002, 09:39 AM
I dont see Frank going anywhere, unless the Sox pay for part of his salary thru 2006.....which becomes guarenteed if traded.

Cant they invoke the diminishing skills clause and resign him after the season for say....5MM.....that would be more appropriate....

Trades are great if you get equal value......havent seen that in a while.

TheBigHurt
07-28-2002, 11:50 AM
please dont go Frank

CLR01
07-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I dont see Frank going anywhere, unless the Sox pay for part of his salary thru 2006.....which becomes guarenteed if traded.

Cant they invoke the diminishing skills clause and resign him after the season for say....5MM.....that would be more appropriate....

Trades are great if you get equal value......havent seen that in a while.

Why would he resign after the season for less money if he is still guaranteed 40 million from the sox??

Paulwny
07-28-2002, 02:44 PM
By Gorden Edes, Boston Globe:

There also are three top hitters on the Sox' list: Expos outfielder Cliff Floyd, Indians first baseman Jim Thome, and Phillies third baseman Scott Rolen. One club executive said that he planned to float Frank Thomas's name internally to gauge the response; the idea of inquiring about the Big Hurt, as expected, was quickly dismissed.

Kilroy
07-29-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by CLR01

Why would he resign after the season for less money if he is still guaranteed 40 million from the sox??

Exactly. Thomas will get that 40 mil. The diminished skills clause only has an effect on when. If he's traded, it becomes guaranteed in the next 4 seasons, and the same would be true if he's not, except in the event that Jerry invokes the skills clause. Then its deferred.