PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 9-2 Broomsticks up our Butts; DET 4 SOX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2012, 10:00 PM
What a waste of three hours. I could have organized my sock drawer.

Time to come home and spank the Twins. And let's return the favor of a sweep when the Tigers come to the Cell.

MISoxfan
09-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Should have been studying

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Nice showing a little life off Valverde at the end.

WhiteSox5187
09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
That was a pretty awful road trip. A new season pretty much starts tomorrow.

shingo10
09-02-2012, 10:02 PM
For what it's worth, I thought the strikezone was absolute bull****. Brutal.

What are the odds of us losing 10 in a row to Detroit? Probably not good so I still feel OK. Majorly upset though about this weekend. Just brutal.

Falstaff
09-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Can't SOMEBODY pinch hit for Hudson in that situation at the end?
Wasn't Robin watching the same pennant race I am watching?

stockonline2
I hate Valverde with every ounce of my being.

WhiteSox5187
The good news is last time we got swept in Detroit we came home against the Twins and won six in a row I believe. Let's do that again.

voodoochile
09-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Man one more biscuit for breakfast for Hudson and this game is tied up with Wise coming up and the go ahead run in scoring position. Ah well, can't really complain about losing this game Verlander was freaking tough as was Scherzer last night.

I'm not gonna whine and cry. I'm sure there will be plenty of this in this thread, but I'm just gonna point out that the Sox are tied for first on September 3rd and don't have to play in Detroit anymore this season.

In short it's nothing but a thing...

Draw that tied for first line, little banana dude, do it with style...

:moonwalk:
"GO SOX!"

Bucky F. Dent
09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
All right. The 30 game season starts tomorrow. Let's kick some ass!

PalehosePlanet
09-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Terrible weekend and a terrible week. We've been awful on the road since the break. I hoped for the best but felt this weekend coming.

However, please, no one freak out! We have to give this team another chance at bouncing back after a terrible stretch like they have all year. Let's right ourselves at home tomorrow.

Brian26
09-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Man one more biscuit for breakfast for Hudson and this game is tied up with Wise coming up and the go ahead run in scoring position.

I thought for a moment that ball was going to get over Jackson's head in CF.

I wouldn't mind if Robin let Hudson play a few more games at 2B to see what he can do.

malbert346
09-02-2012, 10:06 PM
They've bounced back before, they can do it again.

Hey look, meaningful baseball in September!

amsteel
09-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Ventura better have a really good explanation as to why Cabrera's inability to move wasn't even tried to be exploited more than twice the entire series.

You can't show up at your rivals house, score 7 runs in 3 games, issue 17 walks, and have the heart of your order (2-5) bat 0.085.

The Tigers have proved that this is their division and since the Sox obviously can't take it from them, they'll need the Tigers to give it away.

I'm really glad to see Sale come out and throw a hell of a game. I don't know what his fastball velocity was tonight compared to the rest of the year since it was dropping, either way it was a great start that was determined by a couple pitches, but that's September baseball for ya. Does anyone else thing his fastball is starting to look Thornton-straight, though?

palehozenychicty

Exactly. If they are good enough, they'll get in. If not, then let's get more speed and contact in the lineup.

Hartman
Where are all the folks from yesterday that said everything was ok because Sale was pitching today? The ones who had their heads in the sand just because we were in first place by 2 games? Funny they disappeared.

Red Barchetta
If the SOX played .500 ball against the Tigers this year, they would be in first place by 6 games. :angry:

Horrible road trip against playoff caliber teams. Need to have a good homestand and take at least 3 of 4 from the Tigers when they come to town.

Domeshot17
09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
Said this is the game thread, will be an interesting month. The Tigers are just a far more talented team. But they have been underachieving. The White Sox are a very average team with our best SP out for the season, yet continue to overachieve. Can we keep it up for one more month? Should be fun.

But we have to win, and we need guys like Quintana, Liriano and company to step it up. Thornton too. Its time to play like we want to be in the post season. Also need Konerko to actually be an offensive leader of this team. This sub .800 OPS bull**** will not cut it from our clean up hitter.

voodoochile
09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Where are all the folks from yesterday that said everything was ok because Sale was pitching today? The ones who had their heads in the sand just because we were in first place by 2 games? Funny they disappeared.

I'm still here...

Domeshot17
09-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Exactly. If they are good enough, they'll get in. If not, then let's get more speed and contact in the lineup.

Is this a joke? We won't need more speed in the lineup, we have solid speed in the speed positions, CF, RF, SS, 2b. Contact sure, but we really need is an offensive force, a middle of the order bat. Dunn-Konerko-Rios is a very weak 3-4-5. You don't need Speed there, you need impact.

WhiteSox5187
09-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Said this is the game thread, will be an interesting month. The Tigers are just a far more talented team. But they have been underachieving. The White Sox are a very average team with our best SP out for the season, yet continue to overachieve. Can we keep it up for one more month? Should be fun.

But we have to win, and we need guys like Quintana, Liriano and company to step it up. Thornton too. Its time to play like we want to be in the post season. Also need Konerko to actually be an offensive leader of this team. This sub .800 OPS bull**** will not cut it from our clean up hitter.

I think the problem is still with his wrist. When he would get into his slumps in the past he would get pull happy, he's still going the other way but the power is gone. I think that he's just banged up now and I don't think he will get much better unless he has some more time off or some sort of surgery.

EdHerman12
09-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Eh....woulda....shoulda.....coulda.....didn't....B urn the tapes and lets move on.....tomorrow's another day!

GO WHITE SOX!

SephClone89
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM

This is stupid.

Domeshot17
09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I think the problem is still with his wrist. When he would get into his slumps in the past he would get pull happy, he's still going the other way but the power is gone. I think that he's just banged up now and I don't think he will get much better unless he has some more time off or some sort of surgery.

I get it, but then he should just have the surgery. His offensive numbers from June-Now are really not impressive, we could have went out and got a 1b that could hit, they are not hard to find.

Dick Allen
09-02-2012, 10:13 PM
That first game in Baltimore set the tone for this whole ******* road trip. And most of us were saying, just don't get swept in Detroit. It was asking for too much. ****ing pathetic.

cv sox fan
our best starting pitcher out for the season are kidding me? Danks isn't that good just a soft lefty who hasn't pitch above 500 for couple of seasons they should have given buerhle his money

malbert346
The numbers at the start of the year would tell you that this team is vastly overachieving, and it would explain why a losing streak like this one would signal the end of the season for some.

But based on the sample size we have now, it's very likely this team comes home and bounces back just fine. If they don't, then you can bring the gloom and doom.

voodoochile
This is stupid.

Wait, you saying dark cloud Sox fans gloating cuz the Sox got swept in Detroit is stupid...

NO WAY!

WhiteSox5187
Is this a joke? We won't need more speed in the lineup, we have solid speed in the speed positions, CF, RF, SS, 2b. Contact sure, but we really need is an offensive force, a middle of the order bat. Dunn-Konerko-Rios is a very weak 3-4-5. You don't need Speed there, you need impact.

Ehhh, except for Rios and De Aza there isn't anyone with game changing speed who can consistently steal a base. Beckham and Ramirez can go first to third but they can't steal a base consistently. It would be nice if the Sox were able to manufacture a couple of runs but this lineup just can't do that.

amsteel
09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
After the last sweep in Detroit the Sox were 20-10 in their next 30, the Tigers were 16-14.

SoxSpeed22
09-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like our not having any depth, combined with our young pitchers all hitting the wall at the same time, is finally rearing its ugly head. Going 1-6 on a road trip with 2 potential playoff teams is less than encouraging.

Frater Perdurabo
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
After the last sweep in Detroit the Sox were 20-10 in their next 30, the Tigers were 16-14.

I'll take that.

voodoochile
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM

Thank you. In addition the Sox were 1.5 games behind the kittens after that bad series. This time they are in much better shape and they don't have to go back...

aryzner
09-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I knew they'd get swept. This series was as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow. I should have put my entire fortune on it.

PalehosePlanet
09-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Negative. They way overachieved last year. This year they're exactly where they should be. Peralta, Avila, Boesch, Fister, and Valverde all had career years last year. Oh..and you can throw the mighty Verlander in that group too.

WhiteSox5187
09-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like our not having any depth, combined with our young pitchers all hitting the wall at the same time, is finally rearing its ugly head. Going 1-6 on a road trip with 2 potential playoff teams is less than encouraging.

I think the prospect of the young pitchers and surgically repaired Peavy all hitting their walls is what scares me the most. We've seen the offense disappear for weeks at a time but the inability of our starting staff to find the strike zone of late is what is really unnerving. Maybe it was just a bad week though.

malbert346
09-02-2012, 10:19 PM
I think the prospect of the young pitchers and surgically repaired Peavy all hitting their walls is what scares me the most. We've seen the offense disappear for weeks at a time but the inability of our starting staff to find the strike zone of late is what is really unnerving. Maybe it was just a bad week though.

Based on how this year has gone, I'm going with the latter. They couldn't have looked worse after that Boston and Detroit trip, and they look about as bad right now. Everything turned around real quick when they came back home.

kittle42
09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Guess I'm glad I didn't take those 5-1 odds someone offered in yesterday's postgame thread!

WhiteSox5187
09-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Negative. They way overachieved last year. This year they're exactly where they should be. Peralta, Avila, Boesch, Fister, and Valverde all had career years last year. Oh..and you can throw the mighty Verlander in that group too.

:scratch:

He's got a 2.7 something ERA with 209 strikeouts. He's pretty good. Fister is still having a pretty good if injury plauged year and then there is Scherzer who has been dominant in the second half. Not to mention they have two of the best hitters in baseball in the middle of their lineup.

TaylorStSox
09-02-2012, 10:22 PM
My main concern is that our starters don't have the upside of theirs. That hurts in these big games.

amsteel
09-02-2012, 10:24 PM
My main concern is that our starters don't have the upside of theirs. That hurts in these big games.

Detroit's ability to get clutch hits and their September experience is what I think is gonna be the difference down the stretch.

supportsox
09-02-2012, 10:24 PM

OK pal, you told us so. You win.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 10:25 PM
And that ladies and gentleman is the PERFECT end to a memorable road trip.

DON'T STOP NOW BOYS!

Verlander now 12-1 with a sub three ERA in his last 13 decisions against the Sox.

The ****ing Royals can hit him but not our boys!

And don't think for a nano second the Twins aren't thinking how nice it would be to drive the stake in, the next few days, especially off a rookie being put in an unfair situation of having to make his first major league start in a pennant race....even if it is against the garbage Twins.

This team, in the biggest week of the season, folded up like a cheap suit but then again it's not like we haven't seen that before A LOT this past ****ing decade.

Win six straight...one step forward.

Then promptly lose six of seven...two steps back.

And the organization wonders why they can't draw ****ing fans.

Lip

thomas35forever
Ventura better have a really good explanation as to why Cabrera's inability to move wasn't even tried to be exploited more than twice the entire series.

You can't show up at your rivals house, score 7 runs in 3 games, issue 17 walks, and have the heart of your order (2-5) bat 0.085.

The Tigers have proved that this is their division and since the Sox obviously can't take it from them, they'll need the Tigers to give it away.

I'm really glad to see Sale come out and throw a hell of a game. I don't know what his fastball velocity was tonight compared to the rest of the year since it was dropping, either way it was a great start that was determined by a couple pitches, but that's September baseball for ya. Does anyone else thing his fastball is starting to look Thornton-straight, though?
If the Tigers have proved this is their division, why are they only tied with us? Nothing's been proven here except we can't win in their park right now. Let's see how they do in Chicago.

SephClone89
Offense has been bad.

Pitching has been bad. Sale's back to topping out at 93, Peavy looks lost, ec etc

The Immigrant
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I believe the Sox are 20 and 5 at home since July 1. It's time to rack up the wins on this home stand.

thomas35forever
09-02-2012, 10:29 PM

DON'T STOP NOW BOYS!

Verlander now 12-1 with a sub three ERA in his last 13 decisions against the Sox.

And don't think for a nano second the Twins aren't thinking how nice it would be to drive the stake in, the next few days, especially off a rookie being put in an unfair situation of having to make his first major league start in a pennant race....even if it is against the garbage Twins.

This team, in the biggest week of the season, folded up like a cheap suit but then again it's not like we haven't seen that before A LOT this past ****ing decade.

Lip
Chill out, bro. I usually expect better posts from you.

The Immigrant
09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Chill out, bro. I usually expect better posts from you.

That was straight up trolling.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Thomas:

Detroit has done better in Chicago (two wins) than the Sox have done in Detroit (one single solitary ****ing win...) already.

AND the Tigers came back from a 6-0 hole to win in Chicago which I think gave them all the confidence they needed that they could do anything they needed to do if it came down to a two team race.

We'll see what happens next week when the Tigers come in...the way the Sox offense has been M.I.A. and with the "Great" Mendoza and "Cy" Chen and "Catfish" Guthrie coming to town next weekend it's possible the Tigers might only have to win a game.

Lip

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Immigrant:

Bull****.

That's a fan who is sick to death of ****ing excuses from this team and organization.

When it's on the line they rolled over and died. EXACTLY like in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

They might recover but there are no guarantees and as good as they've played this year (in the weakest division in the league mind you...) they put themselves into this situation by how they performed this week.

Lip

amsteel
09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
If the Tigers have proved this is their division, why are they only tied with us? Nothing's been proven here except we can't win in their park right now. Let's see how they do in Chicago.

The Tigers are 10-4 against their main division competition and their 4.5 games better against the division as a whole than the Sox, it's their division. They just can't beat everyone else.

Soxman219
09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
I want ****ing revenge when Detroit comes to Chicago. And when the Sox are about to sweep them. I want someone to hit a walk-off HR off Valverde.

Noneck
09-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Verlander has been one of the best pitchers for awhile now. Scherzer is one of the best pitchers in baseball this year and his stats show it. This series was a disaster because the Sox "ace" and highest paid player ever, did not do what he was suppose to do. The 1st game was the key for this series and maybe the season.

cv sox fan
09-02-2012, 10:36 PM
not only have the players hit the wall Vetura can't even try to take advantage to a banged up Cabbera but hell most everyone on this board still blames ozzie. I just want him to have his share of the blame. When the power hitters are not hitting you have to manufacture runs unless you're the chi sox. looks like another sept failure

The Immigrant
09-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Immigrant:

Bull****.

That's a fan who sick to death of ****ing excuses from this team and organization.

When it's on the line they rolled over and died. EXACTLY like in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

They might recover but there are no guarantees and as good as they've played this year they put themselves into this situation. THEY DID.

Lip

Go watch House MD if you can't handle the pressure of a pennant race. I am really, really tired of you flogging the same dead horse after every single loss. Get a new shtick.

One last time - this season has NOTHING to do with 2003, 2006, or 2010. Throw in any other ****ing year this franchise disappointed you.

malbert346
09-02-2012, 10:38 PM

They might recover but there are no guarantees and as good as they've played this year they put themselves into this situation. THEY DID.

Lip

I get your frustration, Lip, but there are never any guarantees in baseball until that magic number is zero. I don't think we can lump 2012 in with those 3 seasons just yet. There are going to be quite a few more games that are "on the line" this month. I want to see a bigger sample size from THIS season and THIS roster before saying they roll over and die when it truly matters.

voodoochile
09-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Immigrant:

Bull****.

That's a fan who is sick to death of ****ing excuses from this team and organization.

They might recover but there are no guarantees and as good as they've played this year (in the weakest division in the league mind you...) they put themselves into this situation by how they performed this week.

Lip

Damn, Lip. I mean you've been a fan as long as almost anyone on these boards, so you know how baseball seasons go. Things like this happen. The Sox are tied for first on 9/3 and don't have to go back to Detroit this season. I understand you are upset, but as painful as this was to watch, it's not the end of the season...

voodoochile
09-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Oh and I'm gonna watch some shows, so I'm going to make a plea that those who are upset to the point of breaking things and those who still want to urge patience try to get along and not rip each other's heads off the next few hours. We're all Sox fans. Let's give each other some slack. Let people vent if they need to and if someone calls you for venting, try to turn the other cheek.

GO SOX!

TaylorStSox
09-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Immigrant:

Bull****.

Lip
That happens to 29 teams every year. It's not a Sox thing. That's the problem with the general sentiment of your ongoing diatribe. You act as if everything is a White Sox problem, when, in fact, they're problems every single team in baseball suffer from.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Immigrant:

Again bull****. It's an organizational mindset. The EXACT same people are running the show who were running things in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

We're not talking about 1964 here OK?

If they piss this away after being in first place for over 90 days and for the 4th time in a decade (regarding a gold plated playoff appearance) that's not luck, that's not coincidence, that's a bona fide trend and this organization with the fan issues they already have simply can't afford to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

You know me well enough to know it takes a lot to push me over the edge, I try to be respectful especially here at the site but these ****ers have gone and done it.

I've said my piece, I'll let it go.

Lip

cv sox fan
09-02-2012, 10:44 PM
ok we will blame peavy not our overly paid 2-3-4-5 hitters Lip I agree totaly

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Taylor:

Look up the number of times the other teams in the league have made the postseason since 2000 and get back to me.

Again it's magnified with this franchise because of the other related problems they have regarding payroll, regarding fan attendance, regarding the minor league system.

The Yankees can afford to blow a post season spot once a decade...the Sox can't. (And I use the Yankees as an example you can substitute Boston, the Angels, Texas, Minnesota just about anybody you want.)

I'm sorry I'm ranting, I'm pissed off...I've followed this club for 52 seasons now...I'm entitled.

Lip

palehozenychicty
09-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Ehhh, except for Rios and De Aza there isn't anyone with game changing speed who can consistently steal a base. Beckham and Ramirez can go first to third but they can't steal a base consistently. It would be nice if the Sox were able to manufacture a couple of runs but this lineup just can't do that.

That was my angle as a necessary item for improvement. This team still doesn't manufacture runs well nor hit for average consistently enough. It's all power or nothing. Not a lot of baserunning threats either.

That being said, we still have a month left. I'm not quitting on the team.

Noneck
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Lip,

I am not sure what you are meaning when you say organization mindset. Could you expand on that?

SCCWS
09-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Immigrant:

Bull****.

Lip

Quitter. Perfect example of a fair weather fan. I have been following this team since 1957. 2003 is like last week. Well I guess you won't be posting anymore so have a nice winter. Spring training is right around the corner.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Man one more biscuit for breakfast for Hudson and this game is tied up with Wise coming up and the go ahead run in scoring position. Ah well, can't really complain about losing this game Verlander was freaking tough as was Scherzer last night.

I'm not gonna whine and cry. I'm sure there will be plenty of this in this thread, but I'm just gonna point out that the Sox are tied for first on September 3rd and don't have to play in Detroit anymore this season.

In short it's nothing but a thing...

Draw that tied for first line, little banana dude, do it with style...

:moonwalk:
"GO SOX!"

Nice post, thanks. Cheered me up a bit.

tstrike2000
09-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Second place, coming soon to a theater near you.

palehozenychicty
09-02-2012, 10:51 PM
Quitter. Perfect example of a fair weather fan. I have been following this team since 1957. 2003 is like last week. Well I guess you won't be posting anymore so have a nice winter. Spring training is right around the corner.

He'll be back tomorrow when they gain a game.

PalehosePlanet
09-02-2012, 10:52 PM
:scratch:

He's got a 2.7 something ERA with 209 strikeouts. He's pretty good. Fister is still having a pretty good if injury plauged year and then there is Scherzer who has been dominant in the second half. Not to mention they have two of the best hitters in baseball in the middle of their lineup.

No kidding, he's excellent but he's never been close to 24 wins before last year. You need a lot of things to go your way (the closer being 100% in save opps for example, and good run support) to win 24 games.

Fister was unstoppable for them last year, he's back to normal now. Scherzer is pretty much exactly the pitcher he was last year.

Think they're underachieving all you want but again they are right where they should be. Throw in the fact that they are the worst fielding team in baseball for proper perspective also.

TaylorStSox
09-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Taylor:

Look up the number of times the other teams in the league have made the postseason since 2000 and get back to me.

Again it's magnified with this franchise because of the other related problems they have regarding payroll, regarding fan attendance, regarding the minor league system.

The Yankees can afford to blow a post season spot once a decade...the Sox can't. (And I use the Yankees as an example you can substitute Boston, the Angels, Texas, Minnesota just about anybody you want.)

I'm sorry I'm ranting, I'm pissed off...I've followed this club for 52 seasons now...I'm entitled.

Lip
I really think you need to put away the tinfoil hat. This series was their best against our best. Their pitching was better. It's really that simple. We should have won Friday. The last 2 games came down to their best starters getting the key outs that ours couldn't. They were better than us this weekend. That has nothing to do with the last decade. Chris Sale was 14 years old in 2003.

malbert346
09-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Think they're underachieving all you want but again they are right where they should be. Throw in the fact that they are the worst fielding team in baseball for proper perspective also.

That last line is a huge reason why they haven't been able to distance themselves from the Sox. I hoped we'd see that bad defense show up a few more times this series, but it didn't. A few weeks from now with some increased pressure? I'm willing to wait and see.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Immigrant:

Again bull****. It's an organizational mindset. The EXACT same people are running the show who were running things in 2003, 2006 and 2010.

We're not talking about 1964 here OK?

If they piss this away after being in first place for over 90 days and for the 4th time in a decade (regarding a gold plated playoff appearance) that's not luck, that's not coincidence, that's a bona fide trend and this organization with the fan issues they already have simply can't afford to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

You know me well enough to know it takes a lot to push me over the edge, I try to be respectful especially here at the site but these ****ers have gone and done it.

I've said my piece, I'll let it go.

Lip

Detroit had a better team on paper at the start of the season and, as an announcer said on TV about 3 or 4 weeks ago (I forget who), the Sox are in first place as long as the Tigers allow them to be. That's about right.

So, here the Sox are, tied for first place in September, exceeding expectations. And you think they're blowing it? They've done it with a young staff, injuries, and still hanging around.

And the last time I looked, the season is not over yet. You should get down from the ledge.

soltrain21
09-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Is it "pissing away the division" when you've had no more than a three game lead?

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 11:01 PM
SCCWS:

I'm pissed off. Who said anything about quitting? Did you see me write that anywhere?

If you did by all me please show it to me. You made the charge now back it up.

Noneck:

You've mentioned it yourself from time to time say in regards to interference in the draft. There are basic mistakes being made and continuing to be made in organizational policy, mistakes are apparently tolerated, no one is held accountable for poor performance (how long did it take the organization to fire / allow Ozzie to leave for one example), how bad did it get between Kenny and Ozzie and how did that effect performance (plenty of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence saying it did)?

This club is having a very hard time energizing the fan base, getting a solid group of season ticket holders...they play in usually the weakest division in the league. They have the biggest market, they (usually) have the highest payroll, the have the best advertising / marketing, radio / TV deals in the division...yet they still can't figure out a way to make the post season in consecutive years let alone dominate it. Cleveland was able to figure it out in the 90's...Minnesota in the 00's. Why can't the Sox? And what does that tell you because they haven't?

Swear to God I'm not trying to be an ass, it's been a long, bad week and I'm pissed.

If I offended anyone I apologize...I had to get this out since I no longer punch doors.

Lip

sox1970
09-02-2012, 11:01 PM

29 games left.

cv sox fan
09-02-2012, 11:02 PM
its pissing it away when you 1-7 on the road while in the middle of a divisional race

BigKlu59
09-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Taylor:

Lip

Amen Brother... Rant on.. There comes a time if "all" involved are really in it to win it all, or just punching the clock and going thru the motions.. We've heard enough talking from the top...Now its time they put that walking into motion. This one off act, as you say, has gotten old after a while.. I feel your frustration. I've been bailing the same boat from the stern..

Long way to go.. Would have loved to put the stake in their hearts and go 6 up, but weeze in a pennant race and the nag has pulled up along side us. Shake it off and win em one at a time and hope Mr. Hyde has taken a vacation...

BK59

SephClone89
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Taylor:

Orioles: 0
Royals: 0
Rays: 3
Tigers: 2
Indians: 2
Twins: 6
Red Sox: 6
Blue Jays: 0
Athletics: 4
Yankees: 10
Angels: 6
Mariners: 1
Rangers: 2
White Sox: 2

In other words, only six teams in the AL have more postseason appearances in the new millennium than the White Sox.

What's your point?

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 11:06 PM
Ky:

As others have said here the past week I'll take little consolation when all is said and done if on October 4th these guys are planning golf dates because they had a winning season, overachieved or hung around playing meaningful games in September when they weren't expected to.

In some ways that makes it worse, again if they do blow it.

My perspective of the franchise is based on the history that I've gone through with them.

It's very simple in my case and I suspect for a number of other Sox fans. You want a better outlook, more positive approach and so forth?..just win.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
09-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Just a horrendous road trip but still tied for first. Both teams recently swept by the Royals -- I bet Tiggers fans were as unhappy about that when it happened to them as we were when it happened to us.

When they play four here I don't think the Tigers will gain on us, whatever the standings are then. So let's move on and maul the Twinkies.

I do wonder what Verlander was jawing at AJ about in the 7th. God I hate that guy. For a pitcher who just moved to 15-10 lifetime vs. the Sox he sure is a pompous jerk. I know, I know, but he didn't win those awards based on his record against the White Sox. Lots of pitchers can make us look that bad! :wink:

sox1970
09-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Orioles: 0
Royals: 0
Rays: 3
Tigers: 2
Indians: 2
Twins: 6
Red Sox: 6
Blue Jays: 0
Athletics: 4
Yankees: 10
Angels: 6
Mariners: 1
Rangers: 1
White Sox: 2

In other words, only six teams in the AL have more postseason appearances in the new millennium than the White Sox.

What's your point?

Rangers have been in the world series the last two years. Those numbers should add up to 48, if you're including 2000. 44 if 2001-2011.

I think the biggest point about the Sox making the postseason is that they play in the biggest market, with the easiest travel, and the worst competition, and they usually come up short.

SephClone89
09-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Rangers have been in the world series the last two years. Those numbers should add up to 48.

Obviously a typo; apologies.

Jollyroger2
09-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Nothing shocking here, again. Another gutless sweep. Great road trip. All games with playoff implications and they go 1-7.

Gotta love people still going on about "first place in September!" Yep, go into Detroit 3 games up, come out tied for the division and somehow people see a success here.

Maybe Robin will try to remind the team they're in a playoff race.

Soxman219
09-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Just a horrendous road trip but still tied for first. Both teams recently swept by the Royals -- I bet Tiggers fans were as unhappy about that when it happened to them as we were when it happened to us.

When they play four here I don't think the Tigers will gain on us, whatever the standings are then. So let's move on and maul the Twinkies.

I do wonder what Verlander was jawing at AJ about in the 7th. God I hate that guy. For a pitcher who just moved to 15-10 lifetime vs. the Sox he sure is a pompous jerk. I know, I know, but he didn't win those awards based on his record against the White Sox. Lots of pitchers can make us look that bad! :wink:

Verlander will probably talk about AJ in another commercial.

Dibbs
09-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Did Robin really bat Wise 3rd? Someone should look into if he took up heavy drinking.

No surprise Sox got swept. I actually knew it would happen before the series started.

SephClone89
09-02-2012, 11:27 PM
No surprise Sox got swept. I actually knew it would happen before the series started.

:worship:

TDog
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
That was a pretty awful road trip. A new season pretty much starts tomorrow.

It pretty much was identiacal to the first roadtrip after the All-Star break, except that one began with the Sox taking two of three from the Royals. The Sox lost three of four to the Red Sox (pre-gutted Red Sox who had two of their best players coming off the disabled list) and then three straight in Detroit.

The good news, obviously, is that the White Sox don't have any more games scheduled in Detroit this year. Also, with the Tigers winning all six games from the Sox in Detroit since the All-Star break, it should be obvious that the difference between the Tigers and White Sox at this point is that the White Sox have done a better job against the lesser teams in the league (in the league, as the Tigers won two more games in interleague play).

I have really grown to hate the Tigers. I hated them last year. The hero worship for Verlander tonight on ESPN intensified my hatred. It's true he lived up to the hype tonight, but less than a week ago he was knocked around by the Royals, who have won two games started by Verlander this year. After the Pierzynski exchange, I was hoping Verlander would stay in to pitch the ninth so that Pierzynski could try to shatter his kneecap with a line drive, Pierzynski probably being the only player on the Sox who wouldn't feel bad about it.

I wonder if someone on the bus ride to the airport tonight pulled out a harmonica.

But as it turned out, taking out Verlander actually gave the Sox a chance to win tonight. Off the bat, I thought Hudson's drive would tie the game, but Jackson quickly showed he was going to be able to track it down. In a flash, I imagined De Aza coming up with a chance to give the Sox a lead only to see it disappear with the one-game divisional lead.

The game the White Sox needed to win this weekend, the game they should have won, was Friday night. Fister didn't pitch well. He didn't seem to pitch as well as Peavy, but the Sox wasted so many opportunities. The Sox really didn't have meaningful opportunities the remainder of the weekend, and the starters didn't rise to the occasion.

In the first series of the season, the Sox had some success against the Tigers. I thought it odd they pitched Young as the most dangerous hitter on the team. Too bad he didn't get a seaon-long suspension as he struggled to deal with his issues this summer because this weekend against the Whtie Sox he was the most dangerous hitter in the Tigers lineup.

I wonder if someone on the bus ride back to the airport tonight pulled out a harmonica.

Noneck
09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
SCCWS:

Noneck:

You've mentioned it yourself from time to time say in regards to interference in the draft. There are basic mistakes being made and continuing to be made in organizational policy, mistakes are apparently tolerated, no one is held accountable for poor performance (how long did it take the organization to fire / allow Ozzie to leave for one example), how bad did it get between Kenny and Ozzie and how did that effect performance (plenty of circumstantial and anecdotal evidence saying it did)?

This club is having a very hard time energizing the fan base, getting a solid group of season ticket holders...they play in usually the weakest division in the league. They have the biggest market, they (usually) have the highest payroll, the have the best advertising / marketing, radio / TV deals in the division...yet they still can't figure out a way to make the post season in consecutive years let alone dominate it. Cleveland was able to figure it out in the 90's...Minnesota in the 00's. Why can't the Sox? And what does that tell you because they haven't?

Lip

Lip,

You know I agree with the above. The Sox dont have 1 superstar on their team while detroit has 3. The Sox thought they got their ace superstar but that sure didnt work out well. Then of course they went 2nd tier with Rios and Dunn because real superstars run +100M. But the GM did a very good job with the resources he was given this year.

We both know, what we have seen is what we will get until there is a change in ownership. I guess today is your turn to scream like a banshee, I am sure one day soon , so will I.

Soxman219
09-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Also, it's time for people to start coming out to the park. We have 16 home games left to cheer hard for this team. Tickets are pretty cheap. We need to truly support this team during this homestand. Go Sox!

Dick Allen
09-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Lip, I feel your pain. I've been a fan as long as you have, and this team has let us down way too many times, with only one exception over the past 53 years. It gets to a point where we expect these things, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Lip Man 1
09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Jolly:

They went 1-6 on the road trip not 1-7, let's not make it any worse than it was.

Lip

SoxandtheCityTee
09-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Verlander will probably talk about AJ in another commercial.
:rolling:

fram40
09-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Jolly:

They went 1-6 on the road trip not 1-7, let's not make it any worse than it was.

Lip

Matches up well with the 3 -7 road trip that started the second half. And the 3 - 4 road trip that started with 3 of 4 in Toronto, of all places.

I see the older guys are coming out in support of Lip. Here's another one. I've been a sox fan for at least 42 years (only vague memories of the late '60s) I remember too many failures, too much disappointment, too damn many times falling short.

This entire trip was a nightmare - an absolute ****ing embarassment. I don't think disappointment covers what I feel. After Friday's first inning - failure to capitalize in the top half and score, throw a first pitch meatball to Miggy for two easy runs - this sweep was a done deal. **** Delmon Young, too.

I agree with Lip. Strongly. But I also like what Voodoo writes - still tied for first, no more games in Detroit. This team can still make a run for the division title. Have the Sox ever made a run in September? Seems like they always fall apart. 2005 - they barely hung on until the last five games. 2008 - they backed in. 2000? They hung on as the starting pitching collapsed.

Soxman219
09-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Matches up well with the 3 -7 road trip that started the second half. And the 3 - 4 road trip that started with 3 of 4 in Toronto, of all places.

I see the older guys are coming out in support of Lip. Here's another one. I've been a sox fan for at least 42 years (only vague memories of the late '60s) I remember too many failures, too much disappointment, too damn many times falling short.

This entire trip was a nightmare - an absolute ****ing embarassment. I don't think disappointment covers what I feel. After Friday's first inning - failure to capitalize in the top half and score, throw a first pitch meatball to Miggy for two easy runs - this sweep was a done deal. **** Delmon Young, too.

I agree with Lip. Strongly. But I also like what Voodoo writes - still tied for first, no more games in Detroit. This team can still make a run for the division title. Have the Sox ever made a run in September? Seems like they always fall apart. 2005 - they barely hung on until the last five games. 2008 - they backed in. 2000? They hung on as the starting pitching collapsed.

True, the Sox always have to make it tough. Even in 2005 it was nerve-racking until the final week. It's annoying.

fram40
09-02-2012, 11:59 PM

DON'T STOP NOW BOYS!

Lip

Do they wonder? Or do they know why? Is it this ****ing simple?

Lip Man 1
09-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Something else I noticed and it brought back bad recent memories.

This series seemed to have a lot of bad blood, yet it was the Tigers who seemed to be the aggressor... jawing, glaring, mouthing off.

How did the Sox respond?

Just like those years when the Twins were doing the same thing wasn't it? At least Young didn't try to run over and elbow A.J. (yet...)

Lip

lpneck
09-03-2012, 12:21 AM
SCCWS:

I'm pissed off. Who said anything about quitting? Did you see me write that anywhere?

If you did by all me please show it to me. You made the charge now back it up.

Noneck:

Swear to God I'm not trying to be an ass, it's been a long, bad week and I'm pissed.

If I offended anyone I apologize...I had to get this out since I no longer punch doors.

Lip

This is just insane rambling to me. Look, I can be one of the darkest of dark clouds at times. Some of the things the White Sox do from a customer service standpoint baffle me. The fact that is costs over $200 to take a family of 4 to a game with the ridiculous price points the White Sox use for below average seats drives me nuts. The fact that anyone at any time ever possibly believed Adam Dunn was a good investment is crazy to me.

You know what I'm not interested in when the White Sox are tied for first with 29 games remaining in the season? Attendance. Ticket prices. Adam Dunn's contract. Disrespectfully addressing every team in the American League who has a losing record as "garbage." Ozzie Guillen not retaliating for Torii Hunter running over Jamie Burke. Jerry Manuel skipping Mark Buehrle's start in Yankee Stadium at the end of 2003. Eddie Einhorn putting the White Sox on Sportsvision in the early 1980's.

I am VERY interested/worried about weather Konerko is going to break out of his slump. If Adam Dunn's injury is going to cause him to revert to 2011-post hernia Adam Dunn. If Peavy/Quintana/Sale have hit a wall and are going to struggle in September. If a young and inexperienced bullpen will be able to handle the pressure of the final four weeks of a division race.

If you can't tell the difference between this team and any of the other frustrating teams the White Sox have had in the past decade, that's on you. This team has consistently battled back, won games they should have lost, had people step up when injuries have occured, and surprised the heck out of essentially everyone to be where they are right now on September 3. Because when they were 17-21 after losing a doubleheader to Cleveland on May 7, I was pretty sure it was going to be 3 years of misery waiting to get rid of a lot of albatross contracts off the books.

Then they won 17 of the next 22 games.

There is still almost 20% of the season to play. Maybe they win the division and maybe they don't. Maybe the Tigers win 20 of 29 to end the season but the Sox catch the Orioles as one of the wild cards and sneak into the 1-game playoff.

Either way, I will enjoy it, because this season has been one of the most positive and enjoyable that I remember in a long time. It has been the complete opposite of some kind of indictment of the franchise that you have been pushing as your agenda for the last week.

TDog
09-03-2012, 12:22 AM
True, the Sox always have to make it tough. Even in 2005 it was nerve-racking until the final week. It's annoying.

They couldn't open up a 10-game lead like the Yankees. But I haven't checked on the Yankees since July 18.

The 2010 Giants wond their division on the last day of the season, played two competitive series to get to the World Series and easily defeated the Rangers. The media and fans labeled the season as "torture." Often the teams that run away with things, like the 2000 White Sox, with the AL's best record, or the 116-win 2001 Mariners, aren't still around for the World Series.

You can whine about how your first-place team sucks, about how the management is inferior. Or you can enjoy the ride.

TDog
09-03-2012, 12:30 AM
... Verlander now 12-1 with a sub three ERA in his last 13 decisions against the Sox.

The ****ing Royals can hit him but not our boys! ...

I thought that was just evidence that he was a gutless loser who played down to his opposition.

I am more pessimistic than most, but the way you delint in finding justification for your hatred of White Sox management in a bad roadtrip, I wonder how you can derive any pleasure from baseball.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2012, 12:30 AM

This series seemed to have a lot of bad blood, yet it was the Tigers who seemed to be the aggressor... jawing, glaring, mouthing off.

How did the Sox respond?

Just like those years when the Twins were doing the same thing wasn't it? At least Young didn't try to run over and elbow A.J. (yet...)

Lip
Another parallel with the Twins of yesteryear: Is it just me, or has Valverde become as annoying as Carlos Gomez was? I'm sick of Valverde's gig.

RadioheadRocks
09-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Another parallel with the Twins of yesteryear: Is it just me, or has Valverde become as annoying as Carlos Gomez was? I'm sick of Valverde's gig.

It's really nothing new with Valverde. Cub fans were quite vocal about his hot-dogging when he pitched against them in the '07 NLDS when he was with the DBacks.

Soxman219
09-03-2012, 12:38 AM
They couldn't open up a 10-game lead like the Yankees. But I haven't checked on the Yankees since July 18.

The 2010 Giants wond their division on the last day of the season, played two competitive series to get to the World Series and easily defeated the Rangers. The media and fans labeled the season as "torture." Often the teams that run away with things, like the 2000 White Sox, with the AL's best record, or the 116-win 2001 Mariners, aren't still around for the World Series.

You can whine about how your first-place team sucks, about how the management is inferior. Or you can enjoy the ride.

I'm enjoying the ride, that doesn't mean I can't be nervous. I would have loved for the Sox to be up 6 games on Detroit. But that's not the case now.

Soxman219
09-03-2012, 12:45 AM

How did the Sox respond?

Lip

Sorry, but I don't buy that.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2012, 01:09 AM
...If Adam Dunn's injury is going to cause him to revert to 2011-post hernia Adam Dunn.He's pretty much been that guy all of August; go look at his splits. His August slash line: .176/.289/.402. Yet he remains in the three spot again this year.

TheOldRoman
09-03-2012, 01:14 AM
I disagree with the Sox overachieving. Who is overachieving? Sale has done well thusfar, maybe better than anyone expected at this point, but everyone knew he had this talent. Same with De Aza, who would have been starting for the Marlins and traded years ago if not for untimely injuries. Rios? He is night and day from last year, but this is the talent he always had and the type of years the Blue Jays expected when they signed him to this contract. Peavy? Not at all overachieving based on his career numbers. Quintana? Absolutely overachieving. AJ? Overachieving.

However, Konerko has had a miserable season since June 1. Dunn has been far from great this year. Alexei has gotten timely hits, but his numbers are WAY down, especially power. Beckham has looked no better than last year. Danks was injured the whole year and pitched poorly. Floyd has been worse than in previous years. Thornton has been borderline bad. Lirano in his few starts has been every bit as frustrating as he was to Twins fans. Viciedo has done decent for being in his first full season, but he has been in a big slump of late and has failed to improve over the course of the season. Of course we traded for Youk, but his numbers have been well below his career numbers. A handful of players have overachieved, and the rest have done average to bad. This team hasn't come out of nowhere. The Sox were much more talented than they showed last year. Also, Detroit's lineup is far from impressive outside of the Heavy D portion (3-4). They also have a horrendous defense. They aren't *not* running away from the Sox because they are underachieving, they aren't running away from the Sox because they were overrated and aren't much better than the Sox if at all.

kufram
09-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Just jump already some of you.

Hendu
09-03-2012, 02:18 AM
I feel bad for any Sox fans who made the trek to Detroit. I did last year for a tail-between-our legs sweep but at least it was early in the year. Not fun at all, and it's becoming par for the course.

all*star quentin
09-03-2012, 02:24 AM

We're all still here.
One more thing: I won't stop believing! :gulp:

4QUTdF8OwJM

BainesHOF
09-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Sale is very good, especially for his age. He still has a lot to learn, though. Some mental mistakes are costing him big time in close games. You don't just keep throwing the same pitch over and over again to Young. I hate to say it, but you deserve to get beat if you do, especially when you're going against an ace like Verlander. He's still pitching well overall, but that's not good enough in a pennant race. He needs to pitch good enough to win.

russ99
09-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Season ain't over and hopefully the bats wake up at home, where we have 16 games left compared to 9 left on the road.

But we have to win games against the Royals and at least split the 4 at home vs. the Tigers to have a chance at October baseball.

October26
09-03-2012, 06:38 AM

I'm still here, too. Of course I'm disappointed with the way the Sox played in Detroit this past weekend. Like every Sox fan, I wanted to see the Sox win. But does that mean that I'll start spewing venom towards the Sox? Hell no! I love the White Sox with every fiber of my being and I will continue to support them. I will root for the Sox until the last out of the last inning of the last game of the season.

Oh, and I want to see the Sox playing in October. GO SOX!

white sox bill
09-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I hate Valverde with every ounce of my being.
Not to mention Verlander too, they both are getting a bit cocky. Valverde with his little showboat act, what a d***. Heres to hoping we can humble their condescending asses when we return the sweep at the Cell

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Sale is our best SP, by far.Are you saying 57-60, 4.53 or whatever Danks is their best SP ? If he was, they would be nearer to last than first. He is a 3 on a really good team, maybe.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 07:57 AM
That happens to 29 teams every year. It's not a Sox thing. That's the problem with the general sentiment of your ongoing diatribe. You act as if everything is a White Sox problem, when, in fact, they're problems every single team in baseball suffer from.
??? Anyone with two eyes can see the Sox are the ultimate teaser team . They seemingly most every year hover around playoff contention until late in the year, then when they have to beat a real team they go poopie in their baseball pants. Since 2005, this team has made a grand total of 1 playoff appearance and that was a brief one. Even in 05, they just about blew it at the end. I would personally like to see them go against recent history and actually come through for once. Maybe they can get hot again like 05 .This kind of late season choking is a big reason they can't sell any tickets , because it is so predictable.

Chez
09-03-2012, 08:05 AM
With a few exceptions (Sale against the Yankees, Axelrod against Balto and Peavy against Seattle), our starting pitching has been below average the past few weeks -- even when we were sweeping NY and Seattle, it seemed like we were overcoming shaky starting pitching. Throw in road trip slumps by Konerko, Rios, A.J., Youkilis etc. and it adds up to a bad week.

One question about the 9th inning from last night -- why did Robin not pinch hit for Hudson? Granted, Hudson hit the ball hard and Jackson made a nice play, but I woud have not wasted Lopez as a pinch runner earlier in the inning (Olmedo or Beckham could have run for A.J.) and would have put Lopez up for Hudson. Or Viciedo. It just seemed like Hudson was not the best option in that situation and using Lopez to pinch run (and not having his bat available later inthe inning) made no sense at all.

Few things beat a pennant race -- we're in one and I'm looking forward to it.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 08:07 AM
With a few exceptions (Sale against the Yankees, Axelrod against Balto and Peavy against Seattle), our starting pitching has been below average the past few weeks -- even when we were sweeping NY and Seattle, it seemed like we were overcoming shaky starting pitching. Throw in road trip slumps by Konerko, Rios, A.J., Youkilis etc. and it adds up to a bad week.

One question about the 9th inning from last night -- why did Robin not pinch hit for Hudson? Granted, Hudson hit the ball hard and Jackson made a nice play, but I woud have not wasted Lopez as a pinch runner earlier in the inning (Olmedo or Beckham could have run for A.J.) and would have put Lopez up for Hudson. Or Viciedo. It just seemed like Hudson was not the best option in that situation and using Lopez to pinch run (and not having his bat available later inthe inning) made no sense at all.

Few things beat a pennant race -- we're in one and I'm looking forward to it.
They said on ESPN that he didn't want to use Dunn because he had a sore rib problem or something. Not sure what else they had, the Sox bench is pretty bad for a good PH.

joegraz
09-03-2012, 08:35 AM
??? Anyone with two eyes can see the Sox are the ultimate teaser team . They seemingly most every year hover around playoff contention until late in the year, then when they have to beat a real team they go poopie in their baseball pants. Since 2005, this team has made a grand total of 1 playoff appearance and that was a brief one. Even in 05, they just about blew it at the end. I would personally like to see them go against recent history and actually come through for once. Maybe they can get hot again like 05 .This kind of late season choking is a big reason they can't sell any tickets , because it is so predictable.

This might be the most spot-on post I've read in recent weeks.

TomBradley72
09-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Reminds me of 2003- we were 2 games up on Sept 9th- by Sept 20th- down by 4.5-

Over the past 30 days- Dunn (under .200), Youklis, Rios and Beckham are all under .240- and no one has been "hot" (Wise has been the best hitting in the .270s)- we just seem to be running out of gas- including the starting pitching.

I don't think they are choking, mentally weak, etc.- I think Robin has squeezed about as much as you can from this roster- 3/5ths of our Opening Day starting rotation has not contributed much (Danks, Floyd, Humber) and our mega million DH is hovering around .200 and is coming off a terrible August. Youklis and Myers have been nice acquisitions, Liriano has been a disappointment overall.

It was the biggest game of the season against the best starting pitcher in the AL- and we had Wise, Hudson and Flowers in the starting line up- not a good sign.

The Tigers don't seem to be that great when they play anyone else- so not giving up- but we look like we're running on fumes right now.

SCCWS
09-03-2012, 09:23 AM
It was the biggest game of the season against the best starting pitcher in the AL- and we had Wise, Hudson and Flowers in the starting line up- not a good sign.

Wise and Hudson got hits and Flowers had 2 walks. The core players took the night and most of the series off.
Tigers are also a much better team at home. Unfortunately, next they get Cleveland at home which probably means they will not falter this week.

A. Cavatica
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
For me, all it will take is a two-game winning streak, coupled with a split by Detroit, for the sun to come out again.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM

Over the past 30 days- Dunn (under .200), Youklis, Rios and Beckham are all under .240- and no one has been "hot" (Wise has been the best hitting in the .270s)- we just seem to be running out of gas- including the starting pitching.

I don't think they are choking, mentally weak, etc.- I think Robin has squeezed about as much as you can from this roster- 3/5ths of our Opening Day starting rotation has not contributed much (Danks, Floyd, Humber) and our mega million DH is hovering around .200 and is coming off a terrible August. Youklis and Myers have been nice acquisitions, Liriano has been a disappointment overall.

The Tigers don't seem to be that great when they play anyone else- so not giving up- but we look like we're running on fumes right now.

Konerko has really shown his age after a hot start. In April and May he has gone from "why isn't anyone talking about Konerko as MVP?" to "how come noone's talking about Konroko?" at all. He has more than half of his RBIs in April and May.

This inconsistency on the part of most of the Sox players is their problem.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Konerko has really shown his age after a hot start. In April and May he has gone from "why isn't anyone talking about Konerko as MVP?" to "how come noone's talking about Konroko?" at all. He has more than half of his RBIs in April and May.

I would almost certainly think that he is having a lot more problem with the wrist or whatever it was, than he would let on or we know about. Seems like his power is lacking and he has been hitting a lot of little league popups to infielders lately. I think he is toughing it out to be honest.

sox1970
09-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Konerko hasn't been a championship caliber 4-hitter for over 3 months now. If you've seen interviews with him the last week, his face looks noticably older. If he goes backwards even more next year, I have no doubt he'll retire at the end of 2013.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:00 AM
29 games left.

See? It's going by so quickly!

Hitmen77
09-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Yep, this reminds me of 2003 w/ the exception of not having to have the Cubs rubbed in my face (pre-Bartman game) everywhere I go. The Sox have totally folded this year to our main division rival.

The Sox knew this was a tough, pivotal road trip and the responded by going 1-6. They seem to be out of gas. The Tigers now play the awful Indians at home. The Sox pretty much have to sweep the Twins to keep a share of 1st place. Then we still have 10 games between 2 teams that have owned us this year (Royals and Tigers).

You can't argue with the head-to-head results against the Tigers. They've shown that they're contenders and the Sox are pretenders. Our bats can't get to their pitching and their bats have no problem scoring against us. All this talk this year about how the Tigers defense was going to kill them and how their rotation "sucks" after Verlander was just pure wishful thinking.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:04 AM
My perspective of the franchise is based on the history that I've gone through with them.

Correct, and you have quite a knowledge of the Sox that is very valuable and great for those of us who are frequent readers of this site.

However, and I am in no way meaning this insultingly, you often neglect context - the consideration of the other 29 teams. You'll say things like "Only the Sox [insert gripe about losing]" when really, that's only based on your perception of watching the Sox.

Soxman219
09-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Wise and Hudson got hits and Flowers had 2 walks. The core players took the night and most of the series off.
Tigers are also a much better team at home. Unfortunately, next they get Cleveland at home which probably means they will not falter this week.

Will the Tigers ever have a big road trip?

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Also, it's time for people to start coming out to the park. We have 16 home games left to cheer hard for this team. Tickets are pretty cheap. We need to truly support this team during this homestand. Go Sox!

I'd rather watch RAW.

sox1970
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Will the Tigers ever have a big road trip?

We're about to find out. After they face the Indians at home, it's 3 with the Angels, 4 with the Sox, and 3 with the Indians.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:08 AM
You know what I'm not interested in when the White Sox are tied for first with 29 games remaining in the season? Attendance. Ticket prices. Adam Dunn's contract. Disrespectfully addressing every team in the American League who has a losing record as "garbage." Ozzie Guillen not retaliating for Torii Hunter running over Jamie Burke. Jerry Manuel skipping Mark Buehrle's start in Yankee Stadium at the end of 2003. Eddie Einhorn putting the White Sox on Sportsvision in the early 1980's.

I am VERY interested/worried about weather Konerko is going to break out of his slump. If Adam Dunn's injury is going to cause him to revert to 2011-post hernia Adam Dunn. If Peavy/Quintana/Sale have hit a wall and are going to struggle in September. If a young and inexperienced bullpen will be able to handle the pressure of the final four weeks of a division race.

If you can't tell the difference between this team and any of the other frustrating teams the White Sox have had in the past decade, that's on you. This team has consistently battled back, won games they should have lost, had people step up when injuries have occured, and surprised the heck out of essentially everyone to be where they are right now on September 3. Because when they were 17-21 after losing a doubleheader to Cleveland on May 7, I was pretty sure it was going to be 3 years of misery waiting to get rid of a lot of albatross contracts off the books.

There is still almost 20% of the season to play. Maybe they win the division and maybe they don't. Maybe the Tigers win 20 of 29 to end the season but the Sox catch the Orioles as one of the wild cards and sneak into the 1-game playoff.

Either way, I will enjoy it, because this season has been one of the most positive and enjoyable that I remember in a long time. It has been the complete opposite of some kind of indictment of the franchise that you have been pushing as your agenda for the last week.

Wow. Just a great post.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:10 AM

The Yankees fanbase flipped out when the Rays got within 4 a few weeks ago. I was just down in Cincinnati and their fans worry about the 6-8 game back Pirates and Cards, like it's inevitable they'll catch up.

The point? All fans are like us. I think that's lost on many people here.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:11 AM

And why are we so obsessed with finding a "new Twins" around here?

SephClone89
09-03-2012, 10:11 AM
This is just insane rambling to me. Look, I can be one of the darkest of dark clouds at times. Some of the things the White Sox do from a customer service standpoint baffle me. The fact that is costs over $200 to take a family of 4 to a game with the ridiculous price points the White Sox use for below average seats drives me nuts. The fact that anyone at any time ever possibly believed Adam Dunn was a good investment is crazy to me.

Wow. Just a great post.

Indeed. Post of the century.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Seriously. I feel like I've been reading comments on the Sox Facebook page around here recently.

SoxBulls55
09-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a really good feeling this team is going to bounce back with a big win today. It hurts bad to get swept by Tigers but you have to consider a couple things. First of all, we had just played a really great stretch so when you combine the two stretches, we went 7-6 against the Yankees, the red hot Mariners, the Orioles, and the Tigers. That is actually pretty darn good considering now we have the Twins at home and will take at least 2 of 3. This team has bounced back every time they hit bad stretches all year, anyone who thinks it isn't going to happen must think we are out of gas or else they haven't been watching out trends.

Also Sale pitched a great game. This is his first full season as a starter. It is absolutely unreal how good is he is already, and also how determined/focused he seems at all times. Go back and look at Verlander's stats his first couple years.

You also have to consider how banged up we are, and almost look at this series as one where we were able to rest our guys. Of course for our players and Robin it was as big of a series as it gets, BUT every single game is HUGE down this stretch and this game today in Minnesota is bigger than last nights in Detroit in every single one of our players and coaches eyes. They all know we get Detroit back at home. De Aza is back, and once we get Tank and Dunn back in that lineup, it will be interesting to look back and see that these guys were resting during our most important series of the season. Hell, if they were playing we very easily could have got swept anyways, but at least we got them some rest. I am very hopeful sox go on a nice tear these next couple weeks if we can get healthy.

SephClone89
09-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Seriously. I feel like I've been reading comments on the Sox Facebook page around here recently.

But minus the "yess go white soxs!"

kittle42
09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Also Sale pitched a great game. This is his first full season as a starter. It is absolutely unreal how good is he is already, and also how determined/focused he seems at all times. Go back and look at Verlander's stats his first couple years.

The comparison is impressive across all the peripherals.

guillensdisciple
09-03-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm confused, you take pride in the fact that you are a sad soul when it comes to watching baseball and think the worst? We're still here, and losses suck to us much the same as they do for most, but we don't hide in corners when the sox lose.

I don't get why being a baseball fan has to be everything or bust for many people. It's a ****ing game. Enjoy it.

Soxman219
09-03-2012, 10:38 AM
We're about to find out. After they face the Indians at home, it's 3 with the Angels, 4 with the Sox, and 3 with the Indians.

It's like they play at home all the time now you know.

tstrike2000
09-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Wow, Kittle the voice of reason?? Is the sky falling? :smile:

Soxman219
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I have a really good feeling this team is going to bounce back with a big win today. It hurts bad to get swept by Tigers but you have to consider a couple things. First of all, we had just played a really great stretch so when you combine the two stretches, we went 7-6 against the Yankees, the red hot Mariners, the Orioles, and the Tigers. That is actually pretty darn good considering now we have the Twins at home and will take at least 2 of 3. This team has bounced back every time they hit bad stretches all year, anyone who thinks it isn't going to happen must think we are out of gas or else they haven't been watching out trends.

You also have to consider how banged up we are, and almost look at this series as one where we were able to rest our guys. Of course for our players and Robin it was as big of a series as it gets, BUT every single game is HUGE down this stretch and this game today in Minnesota is bigger than last nights in Detroit in every single one of our players and coaches eyes. They all know we get Detroit back at home. De Aza is back, and once we get Tank and Dunn back in that lineup, it will be interesting to look back and see that these guys were resting during our most important series of the season. Hell, if they were playing we very easily could have got swept anyways, but at least we got them some rest. I am very hopeful sox go on a nice tear these next couple weeks if we can get healthy.

I like this post.

:welcome:

kufram
09-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm confused, you take pride in the fact that you are a sad soul when it comes to watching baseball and think the worst? We're still here, and losses suck to us much the same as they do for most, but we don't hide in corners when the sox lose.

I don't get why being a baseball fan has to be everything or bust for many people. It's a ****ing game. Enjoy it.

I agree particularly with the bold part of your post. Honestly, if I felt like some people who post here after losses and especially after one inning of not scoring or giving up a run I would find a new team or organization to follow.

I hate losses. I get mad sometimes.... for about 5 minutes... then I move on. I would stay mad if I thought the players weren't trying, or the manager was stupid because he didn't see what was obvious to me, or the owner was cynical... I'd stay mad just long enough to choose another team that was more likely to do things my way. Luckily for me, I don't feel that way.

I'm sure some people do not appreciate the totally random factors, which defy stats, that are a huge part of baseball.

chisoxfanatic
09-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Season ain't over and hopefully the bats wake up at home, where we have 16 games left compared to 9 left on the road.
17 home, 12 road

SoxSpeed22
09-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Wow, Kittle the voice of reason?? Is the sky falling? :smile:Well, it is 2012.

harwar
09-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I knew they'd get swept. This series was as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow. I should have put my entire fortune on it.

I was the exact opposite .. i just KNEW that we would take 2 out of 3 .. i really don't know what to think now .. just going to watch the games and hope for the best .. i do have a strong feeling that The White Sox are going to be a post-season team .. ah, there i go again .. fingers crossed

Lip Man 1
09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Notes on the day after:

Rick Morrissey has an optimistic column that was well written:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/14895611-419/remember-2005-dont-lose-faith-in-the-sox-just-yet.html

Passed along my thoughts that Detroit was aggressive in the series and the Sox basically stood there and took it, just like the Twins did all those years to them. Gonzo replied that he thought in the 7th inning he was thinking a fight would have been good for the Sox.

Gonzo also said that he thought the Sox were swinging for the home run the entire series.

Harwar: I hope you're right, it's up to them. A good start would be actually you know, winning some games against the Royals and Tigers.

Lip

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Nice rosy outlook there, but if 10 games above .500 is your idea of a great year then you should be a Cubs fan. I don't care what they were picked to do by a bunch of idiots (preseason prognosticators) who don't know anymore than the average fan does. All I know is, this contend and fold in crunch time scenario is getting old. So is the fact that their last playoff appearance seems like forever go. I guess I'm just unrealistic expecting more than the mediocrity we have been getting since 06.

delben91
09-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Did Robin really bat Wise 3rd? Someone should look into if he took up heavy drinking.

Can you tell us the outcome of the rest of the games this season? Save me a lot of time not having to watch.

Thanks!!

SephClone89
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Nice rosy outlook there, but if 10 games above .500 is your idea of a great year then you should be a Cub's fan.

Which Cub should I be a fan of?

guillensdisciple
09-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Population in Chicago is non existent.

You have to be in very forested regions.

TDog
09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
... Passed along my thoughts that Detroit was aggressive in the series and the Sox basically stood there and took it, just like the Twins did all those years to them. Gonzo replied that he thought in the 7th inning he was thinking a fight would have been good for the Sox. ...

A Robin Ventura team get in a fight? The White Sox manager is known outside of Chicago, for the most part, as someone who charged the mound and let himself be pummeled and ejected by a pitcher who went on to pitch through the seventh to a standing ovation and the win. And that is out of design.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Thank you!

amsteel
09-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the Tiger win last nite places a potential game 163 in Comerica.

sox1970
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but the Tiger win last nite places a potential game 163 in Comerica.

Our magic number is 30.

Their magic number is 29.

fram40
09-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Our magic number is 30.

Their magic number is 29.

exact same records - which means the number of game renmaining is the same. How are the magic numbers different?

guillensdisciple
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
exact same records - which means the number of game renmaining is the same. How are the magic numbers different?

The Tigers have head to head advantage do the Sox have to win one more game than them.

sox1970
09-03-2012, 03:06 PM

It means we can't play Game 163 at Comerica.

fram40
09-03-2012, 03:15 PM
It means we can't play Game 163 at Comerica.

why? if they tie, game 163 is at Comerica.

guillensdisciple
09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
why? if they tie, game 163 is at Comerica.

Right and the poster is assuming the loss since we can't win at Comerica.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Right and the poster is assuming the loss since we can't win at Comerica.
Bases on the way they poop their baseball pants everytime they see the old english D on a jersey that is a valid and solid assumption.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Bases on the way they poop their baseball pants everytime they see the old english D on a jersey that is a valid and solid assumption.
I am so, so tired of the "**** their pants, **** the bed" phrases. Why do people have to engage in hyperbole about so many things? What's wrong with just saying that they obviously don't play well against the Tigers? Or is it only tough enough if you use profanity or scatalogical references to indicate your unhappiness?

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 03:40 PM
The one that anal retentively pokes fun of and scans other peoples posts for grammar errors .

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I am so, so tired of the "**** their pants, **** the bed" phrases. Why do people have to engage in hyperbole about so many things? What's wrong with just saying that they obviously don't play well against the Tigers? Or is it only tough enough if you use profanity or scatalogical references to indicate your unhappiness?
Because the references I really have in mind are unfit to type on this forum.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 03:47 PM
The one that anal retentively pokes fun of and scans other peoples posts for grammar errors .

"Scans" for grammar errors? How about just points out obvious, simple, annoying ones when they are plainly in front of one's face.

No one's ****ing searching people's posts for errors.

One might say you pooped your English language pants on that one, might one not?

Nellie_Fox
Because the references I really have in mind are unfit to type on this forum.Yeah, so you're more upset than everybody else. And only profanity can express your displeasure. Got it.

The fact is that nobody has defecated in their pants or in their beds, and the phrase has become so overused as to be annoying and distracting from your actual message.

mahagga73
Yep, this reminds me of 2003 w/ the exception of not having to have the Cubs rubbed in my face (pre-Bartman game) everywhere I go. The Sox have totally folded this year to our main division rival.

The Sox knew this was a tough, pivotal road trip and the responded by going 1-6. They seem to be out of gas. The Tigers now play the awful Indians at home. The Sox pretty much have to sweep the Twins to keep a share of 1st place. Then we still have 10 games between 2 teams that have owned us this year (Royals and Tigers).

You can't argue with the head-to-head results against the Tigers. They've shown that they're contenders and the Sox are pretenders. Our bats can't get to their pitching and their bats have no problem scoring against us. All this talk this year about how the Tigers defense was going to kill them and how their rotation "sucks" after Verlander was just pure wishful thinking.
It's hard to believe the Sox belong on the field with them when you see the head to head games , but somehow the Tigers must just be spinning their wheels against everybody else . The fact they got swept by the Royals is mind boggling watching them against the Sox.

kittle42
09-03-2012, 03:48 PM
I am so, so tired of the "**** their pants, **** the bed" phrases.

Nellie, I seriously was going to start an entire thread on this before I clicked and saw your post.

Worst phrase around here since a certain fingernail/blackboard name shortening.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 03:49 PM
"Scans" for grammar errors? How about just points out obvious, simple, annoying ones when they are plainly in front of one's face.

No one's ****ing searching people's posts for errors.

One might say you pooped your English language pants on that one, might one not?
Coming from somebody who thinks Ron Kittle is good enough to put on his forum name I will take your diatribe with a grain of salt.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
It's hard to believe the Sox belong on the field with them when you see the head to head games , but somehow the Tigers must just be spinning their wheels against everybody else . The fact they got swept by the Royals is mind boggling watching them against the Sox.Not to me. I didn't see that good of a team. I saw a team that got good pitching, but that good pitching was responded to by an offense that didn't make any adjustments. I saw a team that has a couple of very good and dangerous hitters in the middle of their lineup, but otherwise is pretty ordinary. I saw a team that is abysmal defensively.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Not to me. I didn't see that good of a team. I saw a team that got good pitching, but that good pitching was responded to by an offense that didn't make any adjustments. I saw a team that has a couple of very good and dangerous hitters in the middle of their lineup, but otherwise is pretty ordinary. I saw a team that is abysmal defensively.
We will see in a few weeks I guess.

Nellie_Fox
09-03-2012, 04:01 PM
We'll see in a few weeks I guess.That doesn't mean they won't win the division. The Sox certainly have their problems. I was just addressing the general consensus about how the Tigers are some underachieving juggernaut, ready to simply take over the division whenever they decide to. I think they're pretty much what their record indicates.

TDog
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Not to me. I didn't see that good of a team. I saw a team that got good pitching, but that good pitching was responded to by an offense that didn't make any adjustments. I saw a team that has a couple of very good and dangerous hitters in the middle of their lineup, but otherwise is pretty ordinary. I saw a team that is abysmal defensively.

You are spot on. At least I believe you are because that's what I saw. Sunday, I saw the Tigers held scoreless but for two home runs, the most damaging of which came with two strikes against a hitter who appeared to have been close to struck struck out. I also saw the Sox being shut down by a pitcher who was pitching like it was last year and he was the league's MVP, in stark contrast to his previous start.

That doesn't mean the Tigers can't win the division. This season more than any I can remember following, the teams at the top are all flawed. But in the black-and-white perception of most baseball, such analysis is unappreciated.

voodoochile
09-03-2012, 04:20 PM

That doesn't mean they won't win the division. The Sox certainly have their problems. I was just addressing the general consensus about how the Tigers are some underachieving juggernaut, ready to simply take over the division whenever they decide to. I think they're pretty much what their record indicates.

You are spot on. At least I believe you are because that's what I saw. Sunday, I saw the Tigers held scoreless but for two home runs, the most damaging of which came with two strikes against a hitter who appeared to have been close to struck struck out. I also saw the Sox being shut down by a pitcher who was pitching like it was last year and he was the league's MVP, in stark contrast to his previous start.

That doesn't mean the Tigers can't win the division. This season more than any I can remember following, the teams at the top are all flawed. But in the black-and-white perception of most baseball, such analysis is unappreciated.

There are no teams this year that are clearly head and shoulders above the rest. There are several flawed teams fighting to win their division or a wild card spot, but you cannot pick one team and say "that's the one to beat in 2012."

kittle42
09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Coming from somebody who thinks Ron Kittle is good enough to put on his forum name I will take your diatribe with a grain of salt.

I'll take that as an admission.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 05:15 PM
There are no teams this year that are clearly head and shoulders above the rest. There are several flawed teams fighting to win their division or a wild card spot, but you cannot pick one team and say "that's the one to beat in 2012."
Nope, but I am thinking the Rangers have got to be the 1 overall seed though.

guillensdisciple
09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Nope, but I am thinking the Rangers have got to be the 1 overall seed though.

If the nationals didn't close down Strasburg I would have chosen them. Their pitching is ridiculous

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 05:17 PM
That doesn't mean they won't win the division. The Sox certainly have their problems. I was just addressing the general consensus about how the Tigers are some underachieving juggernaut, ready to simply take over the division whenever they decide to. I think they're pretty much what their record indicates.
The Sox have to get it going to stay in the wild care race, they have slipped to 2 down now.

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
If the nationals didn't close down Strasburg I would have chosen them. Their pitching is ridiculous
I don't watch them enough to have a valid opinion , but they aren't too many teams that just rise up and take the WS. The Twins did it in 87. Most teams have at least shown beforehand they were on the cusp of better things. Like the Reds before 1990, Sox were making strides in 04 , Red Sox were good before 04, Yankees, Dbacks were good right out the gate. Phillies were good beforehand.

voodoochile
09-03-2012, 06:05 PM
If the Kittens make the playoffs, the combination of Scherzer and Verlander with that offense will be tough to beat.

SI1020
09-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I knew they'd get swept. This series was as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow. I should have put my entire fortune on it. I thought they'd go 3-4 on this road trip. Split in Baltimore and take one in Detroit. I'm very disappointed but they're still in it.