PDA

View Full Version : *Official* August 31st Postgame: Deep Breaths People

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:17 PM
We will still be in first at the end of this weekend, deep breaths people.

guillensdisciple
08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Meh, we had chances. Peavy screwed us too

all*star quentin
Another game tomorrow.

CHISOXFAN13

So that makes it ok to play like ****? I hate that type of attitude.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:20 PM

It means that there is a month of baseball left to be played and that a bad week is no reason to start jumping off the ledge when we're still in first and up by 2.

russ99
08-31-2012, 10:20 PM

Bad loss, awful with RISP, pitching wasn't there.

Maybe we look so worn down because Robin ran out the same lineup too often this year, and Kenny failed to get him a decent bench.

The good news is we have a lot more home games left than on the road. Bad news is 6 of those are vs. Detroit and KC against whom we can't buy a win right now.

Need a win tomorrow.

SoxSpeed22
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
We really didn't play that well. I think tomorrow will be different.

Aesero
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM

You're right. This team sucks, they can't beat losing teams, they're flawed. They have mental issues. This team has never showed any mental strength. Who cares if they're in first and other teams have problems. This sox team is worse than them too.

Did I cover everything there?

JB98
08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm disappointed in the pitching. I expected better from Peavy tonight. He was not sharp from the first inning on, and it's not good to be walking Andy Dirks ahead of the heart of this Detroit batting order. Jake made that mistake twice. It cost him twice.

We have not received good pitching on the road trip as a whole. We need a good one from Liriano tomorrow.

I'm signing off to the let the depressed people have their fun. I expect the Sox to struggle this weekend, but I still have confidence they'll win the division.

Good night.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Bad loss, awful with RISP, pitching wasn't there.

Maybe we look so worn down because Robin ran out the same lineup too often this year, and Kenny failed to get him a decent bench.

The good news is we have a lot more home games left than on the road. Bad news is 6 of those are vs. Detroit and KC against whom we can't buy a win right now.

Need a win tomorrow.

We deserved to lose this game.

Peavy just didn't have it, Thornton should never be used in close games. Also, Dunn is just atrocious at the plate. He is a slightly better version of Dave Kingman.

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Terrible effort by the Sox. Going into this series, I thought this game was their best chance to win a game in Detroit - but they pissed it away with all those LOBs and Peavy's big game performance.

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Peavy could have been better, but he left the game tied. Thornton may not get charged with three runs, but he gave up the HBP and the double and ultimately deserves more of the blame.

Just win tomorrow.

Foulke You
08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
I will go to sleep tonight counting the double digit stranded runners. Fister had nothing and we couldn't put him away. I also was scratching my head when Robin left Peavy in to face Cabrera in the 7th. I sensed the knockout blow was coming after that. Also, Thornton was 94 mph and straight as arrow tonight.

WhiteSox5187
Peavy could have been better, but he left the game tied. Thornton may not get charged with three runs, but he gave up the HBP and the double and ultimately deserves more of the blame.

Just win tomorrow.

Peavy didn't look good but he pitched well enough not to lose, he had no business being out there in the seventh.

doublem23
Just couldn't get the big hit. Bummer.

Tragg
I saw two problems this evening: we didn't hit and we didn't pitch.

cv sox fan
typical no fault of robins! we hardly ever bunt. we run thorton out every seventh just to see him give up hits . dunn is only hitting .203 but hits in the 3 hole. beckham is lost at the plate with risp.

dwitt76
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
5th straight loss against Detroit

doublem23
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
typical no fault of robins! we hardly ever bunt. we run thorton out every seventh just to see him give up hits . dunn is only hitting .203 but hits in the 3 hole. beckham is lost at the plate with risp.

Without Robin this series might not mean anything.

soltrain21
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM

First place in September.

guillensdisciple
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Without Robin this series might not mean anything.

Yup. Loved Ozzie, but Ventura is a huge part of the reason why we are where we are.

I get on him for bullpen management, but he has been outstanding this year.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:29 PM

There isn't anyone on this team that can bunt other than De Aza and maybe Wise. Maybe AJ, but why have him bunt? Dunn is what he is and I agree that he's very frustrating and not that good. As for Beckham he has been hitting much better the past two weeks and to my untrained eye it looks like he has made some changes in his swing.

Jollyroger2
It means that there is a month of baseball left to be played and that a bad week is no reason to start jumping off the ledge when we're still in first and up by 2.

Here's the issues with that. They have five more head to head matchups with these guys, and have now lost 8 of the last 10 vs. them, with many of the games in ugly fashion. They have proven they could play well at times and have done well vs. some very good teams. But they have been remarkably inconsistent. Last time they were in Detroit they got swept. In the key series in Baltimore they dropped three of four.

I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not falling back on the "well we shouldn't even be here" excuse. That might work in May or June but this is (almost) September. This team has shown it can play well but they are maddeningly inconsistent. And I'm sick of losing to these jerks. Maybe some people will be content with missing the playoffs but not me. Part of me was hoping the Sox would come out and whip these guys for a change but I should have known better.

Golden Sox
1) I hope the White Sox get into the playoffs this season. 2) I hope Adam Dunn finishes up with 40 plus home runs and 100 plus RBIs 3) I hope Dunn gets traded in the off season. Was anybody surprised when he struck out with the bases loaded in the 4th inning? He hit 50 points higher in the National League. He's not doing that here. I feel with his home run and rbi numbers we should be able to move him back into the National League. I hope he's not with the White Sox next year.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Here's the issues with that. They have five more head to head matchups with these guys, and have now lost 8 of the last 10 vs. them, with many of the games in ugly fashion. They have proven they could play well at times and have done well vs. some very good teams. But they have been remarkably inconsistent. Last time they were in Detroit they got swept. In the key series in Baltimore they dropped three of four.

I'm not happy with mediocrity and I'm not falling back on the "well we shouldn't even be here" excuse. That might work in May or June but this is (almost) September. This team has shown it can play well but they are maddeningly inconsistent. And I'm sick of losing to these jerks. Maybe some people will be content with missing the playoffs but not me. Part of me was hoping the Sox would come out and whip these guys for a change but I should have known better.

The good news is that after this series we don't have to go back to Detroit. This team is maddeningly inconsistent, that's what they are. This team is a lot closer to the 2008 team than the 2005 team and all we can do is hope they get hot at the right time and can get into the playoffs and maybe do some damage.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:33 PM
1) I hope the White Sox get into the playoffs this season. 2) I hope Adam Dunn finishes up with 40 plus home runs and 100 plus RBIs 3) I hope Dunn gets traded in the off season. Was anybody surprised when he struck out with the bases loaded in the 4th inning? He hit 50 points higher in the National League. He's not doing that here. I feel with his home run and rbi numbers we should be able to move him back into the National League. I hope he's not with the White Sox next year.

Should we trade Beckham, Ramirez, and Viciedo, too? They have much lower OBPs than Dunn.

doublem23
08-31-2012, 10:33 PM

The Sox have actually been very consistent this year. You can take just about any decent sized chunk of the season and the Sox have played about as well as they have all year long.

April... 11-11
May... 18-11
June... 13-14
July... 14-11
August... 16-12

That's actually very consistent for any MLB team.

As for people who keep posting the Sox's record against the Tigers, ****, you guys realize that has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the games we have with Detroit, right? It wouldn't matter if the Sox were 10-0 against them or 0-10. The Tigers had owned KC this season, too, and look what happened to them earlier this week.

The Sox will be fine. Just relax. However content or not content you personally are with making or missing the playoffs is also completely irrelevant. Just relax, people. This is what you want when you decide to be a baseball fan. Meaningful, tough games late in the season.

thomas35forever
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Had our chances with RISP and failed. Pitching was bad too. Bad night. Now move on to tomorrow.

GlassSox
08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
Had our chances with RISP and failed. Pitching was bad too. Bad night. Now move on to tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
In the six remaining games with Detroit the Sox will face Verlander twice. Keep that in mind (I'm sure the Sox hitters are...)

Lip

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Should we trade Beckham, Ramirez, and Viciedo, too? They have much lower OBPs than Dunn.

They're a lot younger and are nowhere near as one dimensional as Dunn is. Dunn hasn't had an OBP higher than .333 since May. His highest batting average since that time has been .211 too. Beckham has had a better slash line than Dunn in June and August too. Dunn has been pretty awful since the end of May.

central44
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM

I agree we shouldn't be content with missing the postseason. The Sox have proven this year that they can play with anyone. Texas and NY might be the "elite" teams, and the Sox have dominated both all year. If they can get into the postseason they can do damage. The "we shouldn't be here" argument doesn't hold water anymore. The only thing that's been proven is that 2011 was a fluke year, and the 2012 team is very much the group we were all excited about going into the 2011 season.

But keep in mind, Detroit is a very tough team to play in their ballpark. The Sox need to weather the storm and then take care of business when they come to Chicago, as they are not a good road team. We all knew this would be a tough series. That doesn't mean a whole lot at this point in time. There's still a month to play, including four games in Chicago against these guys (not to mention the two left in THIS series).

There is still a lot of baseball to play.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:39 PM
In the six remaining games with Detroit the Sox will face Verlander twice. Keep that in mind (I'm sure the Sox hitters are...)

Lip

And I'm sure they will face Sale twice.

central44
08-31-2012, 10:41 PM

Lip

Verlander just got lit up by KC. Yeah he's great, but it's hardly an automatic win for them--especially if the Sox have Sale going.

Jollyroger2
08-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Verlander just got lit up by KC. Yeah he's great, but it's hardly an automatic win for them--especially if the Sox have Sale going.

Sale isn't automatic either, as we all saw in Baltimore this week.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 10:43 PM
5187:

Detroit has beaten Sale this year if I remember correctly. The Sox have gotten to Verlander once in what, the last five years?

Maybe they'll surprise us and themselves and light him up. We'll see.

Right now though Comerica Park is turning into the latest version of the Sox "House of Horrors" 10 losses and their last 11 games there.

Lip

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:44 PM
5187:

Detroit has beaten Sale this year if I remember correctly. The Sox have gotten to Verlander once in what, the last five years?

Right now though Comerica Park is turning into the latest version of the Sox "House of Horrors" 10 losses and their last 11 games there.

Lip
And the Tigers a bad road team, whereas the Sox are not. These teams still have 2 to play at Comerica and 4 at USCF. I'm not assuming anything because of what happened in the past.

WhiteSox5187
08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
5187:

Lip

I don't think they will necessary light him up but it's not like Sale is an automatic loss here. Especially against the left handed heavy Tigers.

Jollyroger2
08-31-2012, 10:46 PM
The Sox have actually been very consistent this year. You can take just about any decent sized chunk of the season and the Sox have played about as well as they have all year long.

April... 11-11
May... 18-11
June... 13-14
July... 14-11
August... 16-12

That's actually very consistent for any MLB team.

As for people who keep posting the Sox's record against the Tigers, ****, you guys realize that has no bearing whatsoever on the rest of the games we have with Detroit, right? It wouldn't matter if the Sox were 10-0 against them or 0-10. The Tigers had owned KC this season, too, and look what happened to them earlier this week.

The Sox will be fine. Just relax. However content or not content you personally are with making or missing the playoffs is also completely irrelevant. Just relax, people. This is what you want when you decide to be a baseball fan. Meaningful, tough games late in the season.

The record vs. Detroit does concern me, because obviously the Sox are on the short end of it. Had they at least broken even the division lead would be a more manageable 4 or 5+ games.

But the trend is what concerns me more. They've now lost 8 of the last 10 vs them, and Detroit frankly is nothing special. For some reason, the Sox have more often than not found ways to lose to them with regularity and that's not promising. Maybe they'll shock me and turn things around on them but we'll see.

all*star quentin
08-31-2012, 10:48 PM
I can't wait until De Aza comes back on Sunday. Really need him in center. Watching Wise go after the Delmond Young hit to left center gap was a flashback for me. Weak sauce.

Soxman219
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
I am super disappointed in the White Sox tonight. The Sox had many opportunities to win this game, but failed. Not scoring another run in that based loaded 4th got me angry as hell. Then when AJ was on 3rd with one out in the 7th and the Sox couldn't get him in, I knew we weren't going to win. Fister should have given up 7 runs tonight at least, but he was let off the hook. Now the Sox have to face better pitchers for the next two games.

But the Sox can win those games, they just need to play better.

central44
08-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Sale isn't automatic either, as we all saw in Baltimore this week.

I never said he was. But it's silly to assume that the Sox have no chance of beating Verlander, especially when they have a legitimate ace of their own to pit against him.

soltrain21
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM

Lip

Good. They can knock his teeth in twice.

Soxman219
08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Good. They can knock his teeth in twice.

That's the spirit!:gulp:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Quentin:

Good point. The Sox really have avoided "major" injuries (save for Danks and Morel) but it seems like this season has had one guy after another on the 15 day DL.

Floyd twice, DeAza, A.J. missed a week, Konerko with that bizarre concussion, Hudson, Humber....Robin even if he wants to, can't seem to put his 'regular' lineup out there for any stretch of time.

The Sox have had to pitch guys in spot starts who shouldn't have been in that situation and given at bats to guys like Danks and Olmedo.

Those add up in possible wins and losses.

They haven't had a lot of depth on this club for whatever reason or reasons.

Lip

SoxSpeed22
08-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I think Detroit seems to be getting lucky with the schedule, they keep catching us at the tail end of a tough road trip. I think we can beat them during our next homestand.

tstrike2000
08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
You live and die by your pitching and our three best starters haven't gotten it done this past week. Thornton once again gives up a big hit despite Peavy putting two runners on in front of him. The leadoff walk to Andy Dirks was killer. Scherzer has pitched pretty well against us this year, so we need the erratic Liriano to hold them in check tomorrow before what could be a great pitcher's duel on Sunday.

WisSoxFan
08-31-2012, 11:32 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned. The difference in the game was their 3-5 hitters went 6-10 while the Sox went 1-12. We can blame Peavy, Thornton, Robin, whoever, but the middle of the order hitters were the difference in the game.

Let's get 'em tomorrow.

slavko
08-31-2012, 11:35 PM
I will go to sleep tonight counting the double digit stranded runners. Fister had nothing and we couldn't put him away. I also was scratching my head when Robin left Peavy in to face Cabrera in the 7th. I sensed the knockout blow was coming after that. Also, Thornton was 94 mph and straight as arrow tonight.

And every other night. MLB keeps telling me 4-seamer, 2-seamer, while I can't tell the difference. All arrow straight and centered.

The key play of the game for me was Youk's shot right to Cabrera with the sacks jammed. If that was to his right, 3 runs score. No thx to Dunn and PK for making it easy after that.

No help coming from Isaac for Sat/Sun.

At least attendance in the game thread was up.

amsteel
09-01-2012, 12:12 AM
The Tigers get clutch hit more than the Sox do, it's a fact. One that will play a big role down the stretch.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=CHW&year=2012
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=DET&year=2012

The Tigers fielding independent pitching is much better than the Sox (3.71 vs 4.27, http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=15,d).
Detroit's D can fumble the ball all they want, but without the Sox getting the unearned runs across the plate, it doesn't really matter.

Finally after 3 years Peavy takes the mound in an important game for the Sox and proceeds to take a bulldog sized **** on it. 6ER, 9H, 4K, 4BB. You're welcome for all the money Jake, I won't shed any tears for you when you leave.

We all knew Sale and Quintana would hit a wall, is Peavy hitting a wall too? He hasn't pitched this many innings since 2007, and 2007 Peavy is certainly not 2012 Peavy.

All in all, this is a terrible time for the rotation to fall apart and the offense to lose all their magic. Can someone send Robin a link to baseball-reference.com? It seems pretty obvious that leaving Thornton in against Young was destined to fail.

If the Sox can't win 3 god damn games in Detroit all year, I have no problem with them not winning the ALC.

Lip Man 1
09-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I thought things were bad in Detroit but I didn't realize they were THIS bad.

According to Gonzo in his post mortum the Sox are now 3-16 in their last 19 games at Comerica Park.

3-16....that's Metrodome-like isn't it? :o::o::o:

Wow... from Oakland, to Minnesota, to Toronto now to Detroit. Incredible. The players change but the House of Horrors never ends, it just packs up and moves to another stadium.

Lip

DrCrawdad
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
The Tigers get clutch hit more than the Sox do, it's a fact. One that will play a big role down the stretch.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=CHW&year=2012
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=b&team=DET&year=2012

The Tigers fielding independent pitching is much better than the Sox (3.71 vs 4.27, http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2012&month=0&season1=2012&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=15,d).
Detroit's D can fumble the ball all they want, but without the Sox getting the unearned runs across the plate, it doesn't really matter.

Finally after 3 years Peavy takes the mound in an important game for the Sox and proceeds to take a bulldog sized **** on it. 6ER, 9H, 4K, 4BB. You're welcome for all the money Jake, I won't shed any tears for you when you leave.

We all knew Sale and Quintana would hit a wall, is Peavy hitting a wall too? He hasn't pitched this many innings since 2007, and 2007 Peavy is certainly not 2012 Peavy.

All in all, this is a terrible time for the rotation to fall apart and the offense to lose all their magic. Can someone send Robin a link to baseball-reference.com? It seems pretty obvious that leaving Thornton in against Young was destined to fail.

If the Sox can't win 3 god damn games in Detroit all year, I have no problem with them not winning the ALC.

I'm with you.

amsteel
09-01-2012, 12:30 AM
I'll postscript all of that by saying from here on out the Tigers need to be 3 games better than the Sox, which as long as the Sox take care of business against everyone that isn't KC and the Tigers, they should be fine.

The Sox have 6 left against Minny, 6 against the Tribe, and 3 in LA against a floundering Angels team.

I said after the second game of the KC sweep that the 13 remaining games at that point against KC and Detroit will determine the Sox fate, I stand by that and thus far the Sox are 0-2 in those games.

Brian26
09-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Watched the game like it was a heavyweight fight until the 7th when Young cleared the bases with the triple, at which point I then just fastforwarded through to the end. I knew that was the game winner.

I'm annoyed at AJ and Peavy. It's excruciating to watch these guys try to work with each other. I love both of them as Sox players, but they act like tools to each other to the point where it's uncomfortable. Peavy's shaking AJ signs off all night. AJ's flinging the ball back to Peavy with attitude every time there's a 2-0 count. Peavy can't see AJ's signs, so AJ's being a dick and pulling his fingers up really high in an animated way. They can't hook up on anything. AJ's making faces into the dugout, Peavy's barking at him. It's miracle AJ made it into the 7th. Hopefully Flowers is back and can work Peavy's remaining regular season games, because the AJ/Peavy battery is brutal. Peavy seems like he has a mental roadblock when AJ's behind the plate.

Brian26
09-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Leadoff walks killed us, as did Wise playing too shallow in centerfield. Hawk and Stone harped on it all night, but it's comical that the Sox couldn't lay down more than one bunt to third base all night when Cabrera was limping around and could hardly get out of the batter's box. I'm surprised Alexei didn't try to bunt AJ home on a safety squeeze with one out in the 7th.

DrCrawdad
09-01-2012, 01:00 AM
Watched the game like it was a heavyweight fight until the 7th when Young cleared the bases with the triple, at which point I then just fastforwarded through to the end. I knew that was the game winner.

I'm annoyed at AJ and Peavy. It's excruciating to watch these guys try to work with each other. I love both of them as Sox players, but they act like tools to each other to the point where it's uncomfortable. Peavy's shaking AJ signs off all night. AJ's flinging the ball back to Peavy with attitude every time there's a 2-0 count. Peavy can't see AJ's signs, so AJ's being a dick and pulling his fingers up really high in an animated way. They can't hook up on anything. AJ's making faces into the dugout, Peavy's barking at him. It's miracle AJ made it into the 7th. Hopefully Flowers is back and can work Peavy's remaining regular season games, because the AJ/Peavy battery is brutal. Peavy seems like he has a mental roadblock when AJ's behind the plate.

Interesting observations. If that's the case, how can Ventura keep trotting out AJ behind the plate when Peavy is starting.

Leadoff walks killed us, as did Wise playing too shallow in centerfield. Hawk and Stone harped on it all night, but it's comical that the Sox couldn't lay down more than one bunt to third base all night when Cabrera was limping around and could hardly get out of the batter's box. I'm surprised Alexei didn't try to bunt AJ home on a safety squeeze with one out in the 7th.

I was harping on that all night in the game thread. Sorry for those who had to hear me yapping like a madman.

chisoxfanatic
09-01-2012, 02:44 AM
It's probably good that I'm on a high right now, because I'm absolutely loving my new job so far, or else I'd probably be really pissed. They wasted a few easy scoring opportunities.

samurai_sox
09-01-2012, 04:15 AM
It's probably good that I'm on a high right now, because I'm absolutely loving my new job so far, or else I'd probably be really pissed. They wasted a few easy scoring opportunities.

I read that too fast and got "It's probably good that I'm high right now"

amsteel
09-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Tigers need to win 2 of the remaining 6 head to head matchups to lock in home field for a potential game 163.

LITTLE NELL
09-01-2012, 07:29 AM
I saw two problems this evening: we didn't hit and we didn't pitch.

And we didn't win.

SephClone89
09-01-2012, 07:50 AM

Yes! Exactly! Me too! :D:

XplodingScorbord
09-01-2012, 09:13 AM
Do we lose every time we wear the black alts or does it just seem that way? Anyone got stats on that?

SCCWS
09-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Peavy didn't look good but he pitched well enough not to lose, he had no business being out there in the seventh.

HUH????? Obviously Thorton didn't help matters. But Peavy himself gave up 4 runs in 6 innings. That means even if he didn't come out for the 7th, for the game his ERA was 6. The White Sox average 4.7 runs a game which ranks them in the top 5 in AL. Peavy pitched lousy enough to lose

SCCWS
09-01-2012, 09:43 AM
I think Detroit seems to be getting lucky with the schedule, they keep catching us at the tail end of a tough road trip. I think we can beat them during our next homestand.

Sorry, 4 games in Baltimore is not a tough roadtrip for a veteran team. 7 games on the west coast might be or 10 games against AL East teams might be. They played like they got "bad crab" in Baltimore.

CHISOXFAN13
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I'll postscript all of that by saying from here on out the Tigers need to be 3 games better than the Sox, which as long as the Sox take care of business against everyone that isn't KC and the Tigers, they should be fine.

The Sox have 6 left against Minny, 6 against the Tribe, and 3 in LA against a floundering Angels team.

I said after the second game of the KC sweep that the 13 remaining games at that point against KC and Detroit will determine the Sox fate, I stand by that and thus far the Sox are 0-2 in those games.

The halos have won four in a row and eight of ten. That won't be easy.

hawkjt
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Sorry, 4 games in Baltimore is not a tough roadtrip for a veteran team. 7 games on the west coast might be or 10 games against AL East teams might be. They played like they got "bad crab" in Baltimore.

You mean the O's that are the hottest team in the AL East, beat the Yanks in NY last nite,and are only 2 games back of the Yanks for the lead in the AL East?

Right now, the O's,Rangers and the A's are the best teams in the AL....playing them is not good.

As for last nite's game.....cluster.... Fister was ripe for the picking,and we go like 0-13 with RISP. 5 hits...an infield by Gordo,grounder up the middle by Tank,a ducksnort by Dunn,and two solid hits by AJ...thats it. Right now,this team cannot hit or pitch much at all. Frustrating as hell. PK,Alex,Dunn,Wise,and Youk all funking at the same time....ouch.

But, the sun almost came up today....Sox need one win this weekend....go make it happen,Sox!

KenBerryGrab
09-01-2012, 11:43 AM
In one game, the White Sox regressed to the mean for runners in scoring position. That was the one to steal.

Doubted sending Peavy out for the seventh in that tie game. Yes, he'd only thrown 90-whatever pitches, but they were high-stress.

Pat him on the butt after finally getting 1-2-3 in the sixth. Your bullpen is rested.

TaylorStSox
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
Interesting observations. If that's the case, how can Ventura keep trotting out AJ behind the plate when Peavy is starting.

I was harping on that all night in the game thread. Sorry for those who had to hear me yapping like a madman.

Flowers has been his personal catcher for a while now. I wouldn't have been surprised if those 2 went after each other in the dugout last night.

Wise positions himself like an ******* in CF.

Both these teams are bad right now. If they don't pick it up, the team that limps into the play offs is going to get embarrassed.

SCCWS
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM
You mean the O's that are the hottest team in the AL East, beat the Yanks in NY last nite,and are only 2 games back of the Yanks for the lead in the AL East?

Right now, the O's,Rangers and the A's are the best teams in the AL....playing them is not good.

!

Regardless of how well Baltimore is playing, a flight from Chicago to Baltimore and playing 4 games should not be a problem for a major league baseball team. They did not travel from Chicago-Baltimore-Detroit by covered wagon. The White Sox played poorly last night, but blaming the "tough road trip" before it is a joke.
Many Little League World Series Teams travelled farther to Williamsport Pa. for their games than the White Sox did on this exhausting trip before they arrived in Detroit.

TomBradley72
09-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Big boppers need to bop.

Like the ALCS in 1983 and the ALDS in 2000- when the big boppers don't bop- the whole thing dries up.

Heading into the weekend- I felt Dunn/Konerko were the top indicators of how we do this weekend- not a good start.

Might need to look at Veal as the key LH out of the pen- Thornton really **** the bed last night- unacceptable for a veteran in a huge game.

As others have mentioned- I would have liked to see TCM, Beckham and Wise dropping bunts towards Cabrera- force Leyland to DH him-

DSpivack
09-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Regardless of how well Baltimore is playing, a flight from Chicago to Baltimore and playing 4 games should not be a problem for a major league baseball team. They did not travel from Chicago-Baltimore-Detroit by covered wagon. The White Sox played poorly last night, but blaming the "tough road trip" before it is a joke.
Many Little League World Series Teams travelled farther to Williamsport Pa. for their games than the White Sox did on this exhausting trip before they arrived in Detroit.

No, but that would have been interesting. Who rides shotgun? AJ? Peavy because he's a hunter? Who drives the wagon? The captain?

SCCWS
09-01-2012, 12:26 PM
No, but that would have been interesting. Who rides shotgun? AJ? Peavy because he's a hunter? Who drives the wagon? The captain?

Also have to swing well wide of Cleveland to avoid the Indians.

kufram
09-01-2012, 12:42 PM
I think looking at games in isolation would drive me crazy. I have to look at them in the context of the season. KC recently swept us and then Detroit... that doesn't make them a better team than either of the other two in the standings. It makes them a better team for a week.

We are the best hitting team with RISP in the league but last night had an 0-fer I believe. We were a Youkilis line drive 2 feet either way of scoring at least 2, maybe 3, more runs at a critical time. That's baseball. Life is tough.

Detroit pitching and fielding tried to give us a game last night but our pitching and hitting wouldn't take it. Peavy didn't have any control on the night. That doesn't mean he's suddenly bad or overworked or anything other than he didn't have it on the night.

Let's get a win tonight please. Any way will do.

DSpivack
09-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Also have to swing well wide of Cleveland to avoid the Indians.

Good point! Also have to be careful of the river Pirates when fording the Allegheny, Monanghela, or the Ohio.

fram40
09-01-2012, 01:19 PM
disappointing game. Both that they lost - and how they lost.

Let's hope Liriano pitches a gem tonight and the Sox get one or two or three clutch hits. The dark clouds will clear and the sun will be shining.

Maybe even at my house.

Nellie_Fox
09-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Wise positions himself like an ******* in CF. I don't think it's necessary to call him names, but he does play too shallow. Too many balls over his head, or balls in the gap that he can't cut off before they roll to the wall. However, positioning the outfielders is the responsibility of the coaching staff (and in the old days, the catcher.)