PDA

View Full Version : Telander

bahn1225
08-31-2012, 12:39 AM
Rick Telander does his annual SOX column in the Sun-Times Friday.
It's the same old same old.
The team is boring, the fans aren't loyal,
the ballpark isn't the playground the urinal is.

Why does he even bother?:dunno:

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 01:31 AM
So if you know what's coming why even bother reading it?

:dunno:

Lip

jdm2662
08-31-2012, 09:23 AM
I honostly didn't even know this guy was still revelant on the sports landscape in Chicago. He is usually kissing Mike Ditka's or anyone one else's ass from the 85 Bears. And, his book he wrote in 2005 sucked by the way and it was full of errors.

Golden Sox
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
His column today was actually interesting. He's the first writer in the city to point out that the TV ratings are higher for the White Sox this year than they are for the Cubs. He points out that the fans would rather watch the game on TV rather than spend hundreds of dollars at the game. If the ratings remain high the next few years I would think the White Sox are going to make some serious money on their next TV contract. I think their contract with Comcast expires after the 2016 season.

Noneck
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Its not a bad article. Fans are probably watching the games on TV rather than going to park. After buying a nice big HD TV and subscribing to HD cable, why not. Thats one of the main reasons I have those things. Who knows maybe sports are turning into a studio sport and Sox fans are trend setters.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Sort of agree with what he says except on USCF. Since the make over I think the Cell is a damn nice ballpark. I'd like to know why he thinks its bland. I went to Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago and the only thing better there is the view if you sit in the upper levels. Royals Stadium does not look that much of a better place than the Cell. I picked those 2 because they I think are the only symmetrical stadiums along with the Cell, the Oakland park whatever they are calling it these days and the Trop. I know the Cell is not completely symmetrical since the re-do but it's close. Whats so great about the new Yankee Stadium?
We all know why the Sox aren't drawing as we have discussed this all summer. Lets hope management has plans to rectify the situation.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Its not a bad article. Fans are probably watching the games on TV rather than going to park. After buying a nice big HD TV and subscribing to HD cable, why not. Thats one of the main reasons I have those things. Who knows maybe sports are turning into a studio sport and Sox fans are trend setters.

MLB attendance across the board is at an all-time high, or close to it.

Noneck
08-31-2012, 05:16 PM

Yea I know and Sox are down, thats why I said they could be trend setters.

jdm2662
08-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Sort of agree with what he says except on USCF. Since the make over I think the Cell is a damn nice ballpark. I'd like to know why he thinks its bland. I went to Dodger Stadium a couple of years ago and the only thing better there is the view if you sit in the upper levels. Royals Stadium does not look that much of a better place than the Cell. I picked those 2 because they I think are the only symmetrical stadiums along with the Cell, the Oakland park whatever they are calling it these days and the Trop. I know the Cell is not completely symmetrical since the re-do but it's close. Whats so great about the new Yankee Stadium?
We all know why the Sox aren't drawing as we have discussed this all summer. Lets hope management has plans to rectify the situation.

Kaufmann Stadium is a better ballpark. Not that Comiskey is bad, but Kaufmann is better.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Yea I know and Sox are down, thats why I said they could be trend setters.

The Sox aren't setting a trend, they're bucking one.

guillensdisciple
08-31-2012, 07:09 PM
A big tv contract could give us dodgers money....

Just sayin...

Noneck
08-31-2012, 08:00 PM
The Sox aren't setting a trend, they're bucking one.

You are a smart young man.

skobabe8
08-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Kaufmann Stadium is a better ballpark. Not that Comiskey is bad, but Kaufmann is better.

I was there in '02 and thought it was a dump.

I'm sure it's nicer now, but I can't say it's better than USCF.

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 10:01 PM
His column today was actually interesting. He's the first writer in the city to point out that the TV ratings are higher for the White Sox this year than they are for the Cubs. He points out that the fans would rather watch the game on TV rather than spend hundreds of dollars at the game. If the ratings remain high the next few years I would think the White Sox are going to make some serious money on their next TV contract. I think their contract with Comcast expires after the 2016 season.

Another factor is that TV ratings bounce back when a team does well more quickly that annual attendance. When the Sox do well this year, it's easy for people to start tuning in to watch them. It takes longer to build up season ticket sales and advance sales to see a huge bounce at the gate.

Good TV numbers this year might be a good sign for potentially better off season ticket sales.

Actually, the league-wide attendance last year was 73M which is down from the all time high of 79M in 2007.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Another factor is that TV ratings bounce back when a team does well more quickly that annual attendance. When the Sox do well this year, it's easy for people to start tuning in to watch them. It takes longer to build up season ticket sales and advance sales to see a huge bounce at the gate.

Good TV numbers this year might be a good sign for potentially better off season ticket sales.

Actually, the league-wide attendance last year was 73M which is down from the all time high of 79M in 2007.

Close to it, then. MLB attendance isn't going to start crashing because of HD TVs, which is apparently what Telander was impying.

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Close to it, then. MLB attendance isn't going to start crashing because of HD TVs, which is apparently what Telander was impying.

Nope. He's wrong about that. It's probably down the last 4-5 years because of the economy not technology.

Like I said, good TV ratings for the Sox this year isn't hard to figure out. When a team has an exciting year like the Sox have had so far this year, it's a much quicker turnaround to improved TV ratings than it is to see a big bounce in attendance. But that doesn't fit with Telandar's Sox-fans-aren't-loyal narrative.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Nope. He's wrong about that. It's probably down the last 4-5 years because of the economy not technology.

Like I said, good TV ratings for the Sox this year isn't hard to figure out. When a team has an exciting year like the Sox have had so far this year, it's a much quicker turnaround to improved TV ratings than it is to see a big bounce in attendance. But that doesn't fit with Telandar's Sox-fans-aren't-loyal narrative.

Shockingly, I haven't seen anything about the TV ratings this year. How exactly have they been?

Lip Man 1
08-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Guillen:

You do realize the numbers being thrown out for the Dodgers new upcoming TV deal are as high as three BILLION dollars right?

The Sox won't get close to anything like that in 2016. To think otherwise is fantasy.

Lip

guillensdisciple
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Guillen:

You do realize the numbers being thrown out for the Dodgers new upcoming TV deal are as high as three BILLION dollars right?

The Sox won't get close to anything like that in 2016. To think otherwise is fantasy.

Lip

I know, that was sarcasm and hope mixed into one. We would never bring that in with the Cubs next door.

SaltyPretzel
08-31-2012, 10:30 PM
I was there in '02 and thought it was a dump.

I'm sure it's nicer now, but I can't say it's better than USCF.

I was there 2 years ago and it was very nice. Can't understand though why they built it so far outside of the city. Same with their airport. It's not like there's not enough land.

Hitmen77
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Shockingly, I haven't seen anything about the TV ratings this year. How exactly have they been?

http://www.shermanreport.com/?p=4493

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:36 PM
http://www.shermanreport.com/?p=4493

Thanks!