PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-30 Postgame Thread-For the Birds BALT 5-SOX 3

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
At least we tried coming back after looking half dead for most of the game.
Can KC help us out again tonight, 3 game lead is much better 2 going into Mo-town.

aryzner
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
At least the bullpen looked good.

Maybe the bullpen should've just pitched the entire game. :redneck

JB98
08-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Wise, Dunn, Konerko and Pierzynski combined to go 0-for-15 with seven Ks. Not a single one of those four men got a ball out of the infield today.

It's hard to sustain an offense when four of the top six in your batting order give you nothing.

voodoochile
08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Not sure if it would have changed the outcome but man would love to go back and replay that 2nd inning with AJ being held at third. Gotta figure that's at least one more run and if things break differently they might have knocked Britton out right there...

Hitmen77
08-30-2012, 02:31 PM
That four runs in the 3rd all after two outs and nobody on was the difference in the game despite the anemic offense. Quintana couldn't manage to close out that inning.

kobo
08-30-2012, 02:32 PM
I know JB said the other night that the offense is what will carry this team the last month, but if the SP doesn't improve then it doesn't matter what the offense does. Can't have starters going 3 or 4 innings right now. With this being the first full year for Sale and Quintana I know there are going to be some bumps in the road, but Liriano, Peavy and Floyd (when he returns) really need to anchor this staff right now. Then there's concern about the bullpen as well. This is going to be a tough month, I hope things start to improve.

Bucky F. Dent
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Well - it had been a crappy day to begin with, so this is no real surprise. Back to the salt mines.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2012, 02:40 PM
The Sox got beat this series by three stiffs...Ford (.186), McLouth (.263) and Teagarden (.132) (what no Van Winkle???????)...that's pretty embarrassing.

At least they didn't get swept.

Left handers were hitting .294 against Britton before today's game....naturally Wise, Dunn and A.J. went 0-11.

1-3 on the biggest road trip of the season.

Lip

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2012, 02:42 PM
The Sox got beat this series by three stiffs...Ford, McLouth and Teagarden (what no Van Winkle???????)...that's pretty embarrassing.

Left handers were hitting .294 against Britton before today's game....naturally Wise, Dunn and A.J. went 0-11.

Lip

We need to win 2 in Detroit.

tstrike2000
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
As much as this series sucked, the Sox need to have a short memory. Hopefully, they do and win the series in Detroit.

Lip Man 1
Nell:

At this point just don't get swept in Detroit, is what I'm hoping for. Win a game and take your chances with them back in Chicago.

Sox have lost nine of the last 10 in Comerica so just getting a single game would be important.

Any thing over and above that would be cause for a joyous celebration.

Lip

aryzner
Britton had been good in his last couple of starts and this was no exception.

Also, the Orioles just optioned him to AAA.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Ary:

Naturally, the O's don't play the Sox anymore!!!!!!!! (half teal implied)

Lip

JB98
08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
We need to win 2 in Detroit.

It would be nice to do that, but I don't think we *need* to. The division won't be decided this weekend. I'm glad the Sox are going in there with no worse than a two-game lead because we have some key members of the lineup who look awful with a bat in their hands right now.

I'm hoping Konerko and Pierzynski will figure some things out on the flight to Detroit. They seem to be having a contest to see who can be more brutal at this point.

Ramirez and Beckham are having good at-bats, but it's hard to ask guys who are in the lineup for their defense to carry you offensively.

LoveYourSuit
08-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Maybe playing like **** here in Baltimore is the recipe for success in Detroit.
If they haven't shown us already, this team is as streaky as they come. Maybe Detroit will be the bounce back.
Come playoffs, this team will either sweep or get swept. No in-between.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
SP is beginning to be an issue:

Sale - Great, but needs those extra rest days, and inexplicably throws 105+ pitches, then, when he sometimes doesn't need to.

Peavy - Reliable and good

Liriano - Wild card who will kill the bullpen on his off days walking everyone

Quintana - At this point, more of a question - mounting innings + league catching up a little (and I do mean just a little).

Fifth spot - If Floyd, see Liriano. If Axelrod/other - who knows.

WhiteSox56
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
It would be nice to do that, but I don't think we *need* to. The division won't be decided this weekend. I'm glad the Sox are going in there with no worse than a two-game lead because we have some key members of the lineup who look awful with a bat in their hands right now.

I'm hoping Konerko and Pierzynski will figure some things out on the flight to Detroit. They seem to be having a contest to see who can be more brutal at this point.

Ramirez and Beckham are having good at-bats, but it's hard to ask guys who are in the lineup for their defense to carry you offensively.

No it's not decided this weekend, but scrapping by with only one win or even getting swept in Detroit is a huge blow to the team mentally, not to mention lost ground. IMO, this series is huge and I hope the Sox show up and fight.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Not worried, just win in Detroit.

By that I mean 1 please. You win 1 and I'll be happy.

voodoochile
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Nell:

At this point just don't get swept in Detroit, is what I'm hoping for. Win a game and take your chances with them back in Chicago.

Sox have lost nine of the last 10 in Comerica so just getting a single game would be important.

Lip

No matter what happens tonight if the Sox can win at least one in Detroit they come home with the division lead.

JB98
08-30-2012, 03:02 PM
SP is beginning to be an issue:

Sale - Great, but needs those extra rest days, and inexplicably throws 105+ pitches, then, when he sometimes doesn't need to.

Peavy - Reliable and good

Liriano - Wild card who will kill the bullpen on his off days walking everyone

Quintana - At this point, more of a question - mounting innings + league catching up a little (and I do mean just a little).

Fifth spot - If Floyd, see Liriano. If Axelrod/other - who knows.

As much as we all get frustrated by Gavin Floyd, it's not a good thing that he's on the DL right now. You hate to see your pitching depth erode at all heading into September. Say what we will, but Floyd is a major-league arm who has pitched September games before.

It makes it harder to give Sale and Quintana extra rest when you're already using Axelrod to plug Floyd's spot. If they want to skip one of the youngsters, they will have to roll the dice on Humber.

Sale on his worst day is probably better than Humber.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Nell:

Lip
I want the Sox to make a statement and win 2, this is head to head, if we can't beat the Tigers we don't deserve to win the Division. If we do take 2 it will give Detroit something to think about when they visit USCF in a couple of weeks.

amsteel
08-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Sox are backpedaling into Detroit, hopefully the Tigers will be also.

Realistically the Sox need to win 2 in Detroit to salvage the week, 2-5 weeks don't win division titles.

The last time the Sox scuffled through a 4 game set and went to Detroit...it didn't go well.

I hope Peavy and Liriano bring their A-games in September because Sale and JQ are beat.

Chez
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I had to leave my computer and go to a meeting with two out and an 0-2 count on Teagarden in the bottom of the 3d. I guess this loss is on me.

Losing the first game of the series really changes our outlook on the week. Win that game and we're all feeling pretty good. Hopefully Guthrie can do to Detroit what he did to the Sox (following Chen's lead). Lots of baseball (and exciting, meaningfull baseball) left.

Falstaff
08-30-2012, 03:07 PM
Maybe playing like **** here in Baltimore is the recipe for success in Detroit.
If they haven't shown us already, this team is as streaky as they come. Maybe Detroit will be the bounce back.
Come playoffs, this team will either sweep or get swept. No in-between.

as long as we can maintain that .750 sweep percentage going
everything will be fine. Now go sweep Detroit.

PaleHoser
08-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Sox are simply overlooking the Orioles and preparing for the weekend in Detroit.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2012, 03:12 PM
As much as this series sucked, the Sox need to have a short memory. Hopefully, they do and win the series in Detroit.They have, but they also lost 3/4 to the Red Sox in a series they should have won at least three (just like this series) and then went into Detroit and got bombed. Hopefully this time things turn out differently.

And to anyone saying "It's not that bad because we will have gained a half game if the Tigers lose", that's bull. Losing 3/4 to anyone this time of year is really bad. Losing 6/8 on the season to the overacheiving and far-from-great Orioles is not good. Whatever, it happens. However, there were some easily winnable games in this series that the Sox gave away. It's far from the end of the world, but those wins they gave away here are ones they are likely going to have to get back before the end of the season. Going into Detroit up 4 would have looked a lot better than up 2 (assuming the Tigers win tonight). The Tigers losing two to the Royals doesn't make this series look any better.

Coincidentally, I just looked at the schedule. In the last series with Baltimore, the Sox lost the first two games through mediocre-to-****ty offense (and a 10th inning bullpen implosion). Then they broke out of their slump to win the third game 8-1, then lost 5-3 the next day. Weird stuff. They responded by sweeping the Mariners, so hopefully the Sox can rebound the same way again.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 03:17 PM
No it's not decided this weekend, but scrapping by with only one win or even getting swept in Detroit is a huge blow to the team mentally, not to mention lost ground. IMO, this series is huge and I hope the Sox show up and fight.

Yes! Mental effects! Fight!

I am so tired of hearing about team mentality in the sport in which it is probably least applicable.

JB98
08-30-2012, 03:17 PM

I'm not worried about mental issues with this White Sox team. I worried about that when Guillen was manager. I don't worry so much with a guy like Robin calling the shots.

This series is bigger for Detroit than it is for the Sox. This is the Tigers' last shot at the Sox at home, where they play well. Detroit is not so good on the road. If the Tigers don't win this weekend, they are faced with having to beat the Sox in Chicago. Beating the Sox in Chicago hasn't been an easy task for anybody except the Royals lately.

The Tigers don't *need* a win tonight, but they could use one. And they definitely need at least two out of three against the Sox this weekend.

We can lose this series and still be all right. Of course, it's preferable we win, because then the math starts to favor us.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
And to anyone saying "It's not that bad because we will have gained a half game if the Tigers lose", that's bull.

Yup, just as games in April are looked at without consideration of other tams and their place in the standings, so should these. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. There are far too many games left to consider it otherwise.

This whole "it's OK if we lose because Detroit lost" or "we must win because Detroit won" is a silly way to look at things until maybe the last week of the season.

Bucky F. Dent
08-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Sweep Detroit!!!!

Paulwny
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
The race with Det. will be decided during the last week of the season. I doubt either team will run away with the division.
This weekend series will not be the end all for either team.

WisSoxFan
08-30-2012, 03:26 PM
They have, but they also lost 3/4 to the Red Sox in a series they should have won at least three (just like this series) and then went into Detroit and got bombed. Hopefully this time things turn out differently.

And to anyone saying "It's not that bad because we will have gained a half game if the Tigers lose", that's bull. Losing 3/4 to anyone this time of year is really bad. Losing 6/8 on the season to the overacheiving and far-from-great Orioles is not good. Whatever, it happens. However, there were some easily winnable games in this series that the Sox gave away. It's far from the end of the world, but those wins they gave away here are ones they are likely going to have to get back before the end of the season. Going into Detroit up 4 would have looked a lot better than up 2 (assuming the Tigers win tonight). The Tigers losing two to the Royals doesn't make this series look any better.

Coincidentally, I just looked at the schedule. In the last series with Baltimore, the Sox lost the first two games through mediocre-to-****ty offense (and a 10th inning bullpen implosion). Then they broke out of their slump to win the third game 8-1, then lost 5-3 the next day. Weird stuff. They responded by sweeping the Mariners, so hopefully the Sox can rebound the same way again.

I'll quibble with the bold portion. There were three laughers in this series - games two, three and four (yes, today was a laugher) - with only one game coming down to the bullpens for either team and that was game one in which the Sox did blow an opportunity.

WhiteSox56
08-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Yes! Mental effects! Fight!

I am so tired of hearing about team mentality in the sport in which it is probably least applicable.

You'll continue to hear about it because mentality does apply to the sport. Apparently many people think so too. You're probably in the minority thinking that it's not applicable. The Sox are fully aware of their situation going into this weekend.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 03:38 PM
You'll continue to hear about it because mentality does apply to the sport. Apparently many people think so too. You're probably in the minority thinking that it's not applicable. The Sox are fully aware of their situation going into this weekend.

I didn't say it wasn't applicable. I just don't think it's this team's problem.

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I realize it might be hard for some to believe, but the season will not be decided this weekend. You don't win the division before Labor Day. The Sox still have four games at home against DET. DET hasn't exactly been very good on the road (but very good at home).

That said, winning games this weekend is better than losing...

TheOldRoman
08-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I'll quibble with the bold portion. There were three laughers in this series - games two, three and four (yes, today was a laugher) - with only one game coming down to the bullpens for either team and that was game one in which the Sox did blow an opportunity.
Well, in game two the Sox' ace was pitching, so that's a game they probably should have won. Obviously he got shelled, but they faced a mediocre pitcher and got two hits all game. They should have won game one. Even with the offense being non-existent the first five innings, they were in a position to win the game by getting four more outs, and they couldn't do it. Today they faced a mediocre pitcher who, according to what I've read, left a lot of pitches over the plate to be hammered, and was let off the hook. That doesn't even account for AJ's blunder which cost the Sox a run and an out in an inning we stranded a runner at third. We probably should have won today, also. Regardless, the Sox could have won 3/4 of these games, even with Sale and Quintana pitching poorly. They've gotta win winnable games like that. They have more often than not this year, but losing 6/8 to Baltimore certainly doesn't help their situation.

sox1970
08-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I realize it might be hard for some to believe, but the season will not be decided this weekend. You don't win the division before Labor Day. The Sox still have four games at home against DET. DET hasn't exactly been very good on the road (but very good at home).

That said, winning games this weekend is better than losing...

Winning Friday night will calm everyone down. If they lose, Saturday gets pretty important. And if they lose Sunday too, then it's not a good situation. Getting swept will either put them down 1 or tied with 29 left.

It's as simple as this--if the Sox can't go 18-14 with at least 3 wins against the Tigers, then they just don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

Get to 90 wins.

kobo
08-30-2012, 03:55 PM
They have, but they also lost 3/4 to the Red Sox in a series they should have won at least three (just like this series) and then went into Detroit and got bombed. Hopefully this time things turn out differently.

This White Sox team could also be described as overachieving and far-from-great.

doublem23
08-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I think that, between the Sox and Tigers, whoever finishes the season with the most wins, is the team that deserves to go to the playoffs

Lip Man 1
08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Sox 1970:

I still think 90 is going to be a stretch but if they can get there, they'll get to the postseason.

-------------------------

I was curious since I personally hate and despise four game series, how the Sox have done in them this season. Apparently the Sox hate and despise them as well.

Sox have had six series where they played a team four games straight.

The Sox won one series (at Toronto)
Split one series (at New York)
Lost four series (both to Boston, both to Baltimore)

They still have four game series left with Detroit and Tampa, both at home.

I suspect that starting next season because of daily interleague, four game series will be going the way of the dodo bird. As far as I'm concerned... good. To bad they couldn't get rid of them this year.

Lip

WisSoxFan
08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Well, in game two the Sox' ace was pitching, so that's a game they probably should have won. Obviously he got shelled, but they faced a mediocre pitcher and got two hits all game. They should have won game one. Even with the offense being non-existent the first five innings, they were in a position to win the game by getting four more outs, and they couldn't do it. Today they faced a mediocre pitcher who, according to what I've read, left a lot of pitches over the plate to be hammered, and was let off the hook. That doesn't even account for AJ's blunder which cost the Sox a run and an out in an inning we stranded a runner at third. We probably should have won today, also. Regardless, the Sox could have won 3/4 of these games, even with Sale and Quintana pitching poorly. They've gotta win winnable games like that. They have more often than not this year, but losing 6/8 to Baltimore certainly doesn't help their situation.

Sorry OR I think you're reaching. Sale got hammered and the Sox have no standing to say they "should have" won that game. Maybe on paper prior to 6:10 that evening, but once the game started it was all Orioles. Sox got outplayed today as well. After Quintana got rocked in the third the Sox were in a hole and weren't getting out of it today. They didn't play well enough to win and can't claim they should have. Just as the Orioles have no standing to say they "should have" won game 3 of the series. The first game was the one contested game in the series and the Sox can certainly play the "what if" game in that one. Unfortunately they lost a game that could have been had.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
I think that, between the Sox and Tigers, whoever finishes the season with the most wins, is the team that deserves to go to the playoffs

HAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sound logic.

This upcoming series can do wonders for the Sox. A series win will mean a hold on the division for the future. Of course, if Detroit gets swept by KC, it really opens up the door for the Sox. A series win means a 4 or 6 game lead. I have very little confidence in our ability to win the series, but I will dream until I begin to see us get clobbered.

GlassSox
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM

:yup:

Hitmen77
08-30-2012, 04:06 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yGeA_PC563M/RxYRrk11qlI/AAAAAAAAAb0/U6vQe7wrcu8/s320/McCarver.jpg
Right you are!

TheOldRoman
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
This White Sox team could also be described as overachieving and far-from-great.By people who either don't closely follow or don't understand baseball, sure. The Sox have scored the most runs and given up the fewest runs in their division. The Orioles have given up 44 more runs than they've scored. They have the same number of runs scored as the Rays (who were without Longoria most of the year), and are a game ahead of them despite having given up 118 more runs than them. The Sox are a much, much better team than the Orioles.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM

I think whichever team exhibits more mental toughness and "balls" will make it.

slavko
08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
By people who either don't closely follow or don't understand baseball, sure. The Sox have scored the most runs and given up the fewest runs in their division. The Orioles have given up 44 more runs than they've scored. They have the same number of runs scored as the Rays (who were without Longoria most of the year), and are a game ahead of them despite having given up 118 more runs than them. The Sox are a much, much better team than the Orioles.

Not trying to start an argument, but the Orioles and White Sox play in different divisions and this data has to be analyzed in that context. Most folks would tell you that the Orioles play in a tougher division. So not so fast there, Roman.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Not trying to start an argument, but the Orioles and White Sox play in different divisions and this data has to be analyzed in that context. Most folks would tell you that the Orioles play in a tougher division. So not so fast there, Roman.

At the least, we should respect them considering they have had such a good year in that division AND going 2-6 against the sox this year.

You can fool yourself and talk **** as much as you want, but give credit and respect when it is due.

tstrike2000
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Sox 1970:

I still think 90 is going to be a stretch but if they can get there, they'll get to the postseason.

They have to go 18-14 the rest of the way which is very doable. It obviously isn't easy with 7 left against Detroit, 6 with KC, and 4 at the end of the season against Tampa Bay. However, with a 4-game series after this one against Detroit at home, and their last 7 at home, I still think they'll win the division with close to or right at 90 wins.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2012, 06:07 PM
They have to go 18-14 the rest of the way which is very doable. It obviously isn't easy with 7 left against Detroit, 6 with KC, and 4 at the end of the season against Tampa Bay. However, with a 4-game series after this one against Detroit at home, and their last 7 at home, I still think they'll win the division with close to or right at 90 wins.

The Sox finish with 3 on the road in Cleveland, check your schedule.

tstrike2000
08-30-2012, 06:11 PM
The Sox finish with 3 on the road in Cleveland, check your schedule.

Oops, thanks for catching that. I didn't check October. With 7 of their last 10 at home and finishing at Cleveland, I still think they'll have enough to hold on to the division.

LITTLE NELL
08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Oops, thanks for catching that. I didn't check October. With 7 of their last 10 at home and finishing at Cleveland, I still think they'll have enough to hold on to the division.

Here is the way I see it for the Sox:
At Det 1-2
Vs Minn 2-1
Vs KC 2-1
Vs Det 2-2
At Minn 2-1
At KC 2-1
At LAA 1-2
Vs Clev 2-1
Vs Tampa 2-2
At Clev 2-1

Total 18-14

Total Season 90-72

Detroit will have to go 21-12 to tie us, so we are in a pretty good spot.
If KC can win and sweep tonight it would be huge.

Soxman219
08-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Sweep Detroit!!!!

:gulp:

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I think whichever team exhibits more mental toughness and "balls" will make it.

I don't think this team is mentally weak or anything like that but I also don't get why you and others are so dismissive of any sort of mental/psychological aspect to the game. Remember, 90% of this game is half mental.

TDog
08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
The Sox got beat this series by three stiffs...Ford (.186), McLouth (.263) and Teagarden (.132) (what no Van Winkle???????)...that's pretty embarrassing.

Lip

One problem with only looking at stats and not watching games is that you probably missed that Teagarden's previous home run this year was a two-out walk-off home run in the bottom half of an extra inning in which the Tigers took the lead over the Orioles. Anyway, today Adam Jones had more to do with beating the Sox than Teagarden, and your statistics are out of context. Not to mention that the American League leader in home runs is barely hitting above the Mensoza line. You act as if players never make adjustments.

Of course, it wasn't Teagarden who beat the White Sox today. He only hit the first of five straight extra-base hits, with two outs in the third. Teagarden figued Quintana out, and the second time through the order, the Orioles hit him like a rented mule. I was surprised to see him come back to be hit some more the next inning. I thought maybe Cooper picked up on Quintana tipping his pitches, because the Orioles certainly hit like they knew what was coming. But in the fourth, they continued to hit him hard.

Britton established the first time through the lineup that he was tough against lefties today and was getting hit hard by the righties. The first time through the order, although overall this season, he has been tougher against righties. Every right-handed hitter in the Sox lineup, except for Konerko, got hits their first time through the order. Once he got a comfortable lead, he was a much better pitcher.

The Sox had a chance to win this game if Quintana hadn't let it get out of hand. He didn't just give up the home run to Teagarden. The second time through the order, it was like he was throwing batting practice, and not the kind where hitters are working on line drives to the opposite field.

Maybe, as Voodoo wondered, the game would have been different if Beckham had come out wtih one out and the bases loaded in the second. But the way Quintana was pitching today, the Sox would have needed a big second inning.

Brian26
08-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Just zipped through the game on DVR. Wise had no chance today. Get Danks a couple of starts out there until De Aza is back. I have a feeling the Wise supernova is starting to burn out.

Any explanation as to why AJ couldn't slide on that play at home? That's two bad plays by him in this series. The first one didn't cost us anything, but this one sure did.

voodoochile
08-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Just zipped through the game on DVR. Wise had no chance today. Get Danks a couple of starts out there until De Aza is back. I have a feeling the Wise supernova is starting to burn out.

Any explanation as to why AJ couldn't slide on that play at home? That's two bad plays by him in this series. The first one didn't cost us anything, but this one sure did.
If he slides he never gets to the plate the catcher was up the line and had the ball before AJ got there. I thought he made the right call to try to tiptoe/highstep by, but I admit I haven't seen a replay.

soxfan1965
08-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks Kansas City. Hopefully the Tigers won't be too angry when the Sox come into town.

The Immigrant
08-30-2012, 09:57 PM
If he slides he never gets to the plate the catcher was up the line and had the ball before AJ got there. I thought he made the right call to try to tiptoe/highstep by, but I admit I haven't seen a replay.

He could've tried sliding around the catcher, but he made no effort whatsoever. Farmer was on him for jogging to third before he was even halfway there. He took a terrible route around third and made no effort to avoid the tag. It was a dog **** play all around.

guillensdisciple
08-30-2012, 09:58 PM
This is it, the sox have to play to win and be motivated by the fact that they have gained a game even though they lost so many. A series win would be huge and might deflate the tigers.

Come on Sox, I would prefer not to panic the last three games of the year,

Soxman219
08-30-2012, 10:00 PM
Have to take advantage of this situation. Detroit needs this more than the Sox do. Sox have the advantage here, they have to go to Detroit and do their job!

Soxman219
08-30-2012, 10:01 PM
This is it, the sox have to play to win and be motivated by the fact that they have gained a game even though they lost so many. A series win would be huge and might deflate the tigers.

Come on Sox, I would prefer not to panic the last three games of the year,

Same.

slavko
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
He could've tried sliding around the catcher, but he made no effort whatsoever. Farmer was on him for jogging to third before he was even halfway there. He took a terrible route around third and made no effort to avoid the tag. It was a dog **** play all around.

The play's on MLB. He seemed to run hard to 3rd base. He could have run on the 3B line to cut down the throwing angle but didn't. Sliding wouldn't have helped. He was dead meat. Coach shouldn't have sent him.

kittle42
08-31-2012, 12:50 AM
The Sox had a chance to win this game if Quintana hadn't let it get out of hand. He didn't just give up the home run to Teagarden. The second time through the order, it was like he was throwing batting practice, and not the kind where hitters are working on line drives to the opposite field.

Maybe, as Voodoo wondered, the game would have been different if Beckham had come out wtih one out and the bases loaded in the second. But the way Quintana was pitching today, the Sox would have needed a big second inning.

TDog - just wondering - you seem to blame the pitching even when it's a 1-0 game. Why?

I am not saying Quintana wasn't crap Thursday, just asking generally.

kufram
08-31-2012, 04:27 AM
I'm actually a little more comfortable that we had a bad series in Baltimore. Momentum has not been vitally important to us so far. Detroit made it at least tolerable while in KC. We've responded several times in situations like this already this season. Why not now? Whatever pressure we are under, Detroit in under more to win this series.

Jollyroger2
08-31-2012, 07:03 AM
I hate having to keep scoreboard watching and hoping Detroit loses. It's been this way for a couple months now. So many times the Sox have missed opportunities, sometimes against bad teams other times against better ones. I hate the fact they've gone 4-12 against Boston and Baltimore this year.

Need 2 out of 3 vs Detroit, they can't afford to not show up and get swept like last time they were in there.

doublem23
08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
The Sox have had the 3rd best record in the AL since July 1, it's hard to say that we've been just relying on Detroit losses

October26
08-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Sweep Detroit!!!!

Great post...love the extra-large, bold font! I know a Sox sweep of the Tigers is unrealistic, but I like the way you think.

I'm actually a little more comfortable that we had a bad series in Baltimore. Momentum has not been vitally important to us so far. Detroit made it at least tolerable while in KC. We've responded several times in situations like this already this season. Why not now? Whatever pressure we are under, Detroit in under more to win this series.

The Sox had a bad series in Baltimore this week. But you're right, this Sox team has been resilient all year long. I am also looking for the Sox to have a bounce-back series in Detroit. I'm thrilled to see the Sox in first place this Labor Day Weekend. And I want to see the Sox play well for Robin and the Coaches. I am a selfish Sox fan and I want wins. GO SOX!

kufram
08-31-2012, 07:16 AM
With a 3 game lead we actually can afford to get swept. Of course I would hope for at least 1 win and 2 would be ideal. Detroit is in a bigger hole than we are. Edge of the abyss stuff just isn't realistic right now at this moment in time. We still are in control of our destiny, and Detroit's for that matter.

I see it more as a chance to put Detroit in a big hole rather than us needing to climb out of a hole. I'm more concerned that we get our A team back fully functioning and soon. We need De Aza back, Youkilis healthy, Floyd ready to help etc. and the top of the order need to regain their production.

The glass is still half full.

SCCWS
08-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Regardless of what happens this weekend, the Tigers will have 3 less home games and the White Sox will have 3 less road games. So a White Sox sweep really knocks the Tigers down. Can we sweep???? We need Wise to lead off w a blooper and have 3 Tigers converge in the same spot knocking all 3 out for the series. Or maybe 3 straight 1 hit shutouts---that would work as well.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2012, 08:57 AM
I hate having to keep scoreboard watching and hoping Detroit loses. It's been this way for a couple months now. So many times the Sox have missed opportunities, sometimes against bad teams other times against better ones. I hate the fact they've gone 4-12 against Boston and Baltimore this year.

Need 2 out of 3 vs Detroit, they can't afford to not show up and get swept like last time they were in there.It's stressful (relatively), but that's what baseball is all about. It's a long season and they play every day. Once in a while you will have seasons like 2005 with a 15 game lead, but most of the time a division winner is going to have teams within striking distance for the better part of the year. As much as it sucks looking at a scoreboard seeing and the Tigers won on any given day, the alternative is having a bad Sox team and not caring about the standings.

Tragg
08-31-2012, 09:52 AM
It's stressful (relatively), but that's what baseball is all out. It's a long season and they play every day. Once in a while you will have seasons like 2005 with a 15 game lead, but most of the time a division winner is going to have teams within striking distance for the better part of the year. As much as it sucks looking at a scoreboard seeing and the Tigers won on any given day, the alternative is having a bad Sox team and not caring about the standings.

And 2005 was stressful as hell the last 3 weeks of the season.
I've followed the Sox since 1967, and we've had, really, only 4 seasons of stress (67, 05, 08, 12). I can take more of that (although a little more of that when I was in my 20s and 30s would have been nice).

hawkjt
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
What is up with AJ? He seems like he is letting his bad slump at the plate affect his baserunning and defense.
His at bats yesterday were ridiculous...like he was looking to swing at every pitch,no matter where,just to get the at bat over with asap.
He is typically a guy who is hard to strike out,but lately he is swinging wildly at pitches in the dirt and over his head. Is the contract looming affecting him again...remember the last time he was in a contract year,he struggled mightily,until a deal was struck,and then he relaxed and played well. His concentration seems to be shot ...the botched double play,and the baserunning yesterday...even Hawk said he got a horrible jump on that basehit when he got thrown out at home...with no slide? Ridiculous.

With three rightys in Detroit, and a Sunday nite game, I suspect that AJ might start all three,but if Tyler is back, I would not mind seeing him on Saturday nite if AJ stays this out of sorts,as Hawk has been saying.

Sox caught a huge break with KC sweeping the Tigers. Tigers had 12 hits,but only one run last nite,so they are hitting ok,just not in the clutch. Sox have been lacking in that dept also,but just getting hits at all is a struggle lately.
Sox need to find a way to get hot offensively,and get at least 1-2 games this weekend. Peavy's start tonite is the biggest for him,as a Sox...we need him to get it done.

kittle42
08-31-2012, 11:40 AM
What is up with AJ?

Regression.

JB98
08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
What is up with AJ? He seems like he is letting his bad slump at the plate affect his baserunning and defense.
His at bats yesterday were ridiculous...like he was looking to swing at every pitch,no matter where,just to get the at bat over with asap.
He is typically a guy who is hard to strike out,but lately he is swinging wildly at pitches in the dirt and over his head. Is the contract looming affecting him again...remember the last time he was in a contract year,he struggled mightily,until a deal was struck,and then he relaxed and played well. His concentration seems to be shot ...the botched double play,and the baserunning yesterday...even Hawk said he got a horrible jump on that basehit when he got thrown out at home...with no slide? Ridiculous.

With three rightys in Detroit, and a Sunday nite game, I suspect that AJ might start all three,but if Tyler is back, I would not mind seeing him on Saturday nite if AJ stays this out of sorts,as Hawk has been saying.

Sox caught a huge break with KC sweeping the Tigers. Tigers had 12 hits,but only one run last nite,so they are hitting ok,just not in the clutch. Sox have been lacking in that dept also,but just getting hits at all is a struggle lately.
Sox need to find a way to get hot offensively,and get at least 1-2 games this weekend. Peavy's start tonite is the biggest for him,as a Sox...we need him to get it done.

Pierzynski is a career .385 hitter against Scherzer. That would be the one game of the three I would definitely start A.J.

LITTLE NELL
08-31-2012, 12:15 PM
And 2005 was stressful as hell the last 3 weeks of the season.
I've followed the Sox since 1967, and we've had, really, only 4 seasons of stress (67, 05, 08, 12). I can take more of that (although a little more of that when I was in my 20s and 30s would have been nice).

When you define stress, does it mean we are in a fight for the division crown? If it is you left left out 1972, 1977 somewhat, 1983 until we got hotter than hell the second half, 1993, 1994 coulda woulda shoulda, and 2000. Sometimes I feel so stressed out during the Baseball season that I can't wait for it to end. A number of times this year in tight games I could not watch the 9th inning. I love Hockey and the Blackhawks but am never stressed out over the Hawks like I am the Sox. I was born a Sox fan and they are like family and so much a part of me that its almost sad that a person can let a baseball team affect their life, (my wife does not understand this) at almost 67 years I don't think things are going to change and will continue to be stressed out for my remaining years.