PDA

View Full Version : The Current Version of the Royals Is Looking Much Better

TomBradley72
08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Many posters on WSI have been referring to the Royals as a "garbage" team- but I think some of their mid-season additions (call ups/coming off DL,etc.) have made them a very different team:
Pretty good, young core of Butler(DH), Gordon(LF), Hosmer (1B), Moustakas (3B).
Post All Star break- Dyson in CF is hitting .356, S.Perez(C) hitting .268-4-16- major upgrade, Escobar hitting .299 as SS
New closer Holland is 4-1, 1.48 ERA, 9/9 in save opps
Another 6 relievers with era's< 3.18 (some with only a few appearances, but I know one of them was hitting 100 mph vs. White Sox)
BUT- starting pitching remains a huge weakness and I don't think much of Yost as a manager
Looks like they have top notch, young players at 7/9 positions (not sure about RF or 2nd base)- and a very tough/young bullpen- they look very dangerous as a September opponent.

Overall 16-11 in August so far, swept CLE, split 4 w/BAL, 2/3 from Oakland- not a great team- maybe not even a good team- but a dangerous team- with nothing to lose.

bigsoxfan420
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
"We concur!", say Detroit.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Tom:

Time will tell won't it. Remember this was the year according to many of the "experts" that the Royals were going to get to .500 and then break out next season.

We'll see.

The possibility also exists that this group of "can't miss kids" will fall flat on their faces like so many other Kansas City players or those that do succeed will take the first chance they can get to leave by whatever way possible just like players like Damon, Dye and Beltran.

A month, six weeks of decent baseball doesn't make up for over a decade of being one of the most inept, mismanaged franchises in baseball does it?

Lip

WisSoxFan
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Tom:

Time will tell won't it. Remember this was the year according to many of the "experts" that the Royals were going to get to .500 and then break out next season.

We'll see.

The possibility also exists that this group of "can't miss kids" will fall flat on their faces like so many other Kansas City players or those that do succeed will take the first chance they can get to leave by whatever way possible just like players like Damon, Dye and Beltran.

A month, six weeks of decent baseball doesn't make up for over a decade of being one of the most inept, mismanaged franchises in baseball does it?

Lip

You're arguing a completely different point than Tom is making. He's saying they are a dangerous team right now and their 16-11 record in August including numerous wins against teams in playoff contention proves that to be true. He says nothing of the future.

TDog
08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Tom:

We'll see.

Lip

You're right as far as the future is concerned. But as for 2012, the Royals have a very competitive, even dangerous third-place team that was less competitive early in the season. The Tigers, for example, caught the Royals in the middle of their 12-game losing streak in April. They are finding a different Royals team in Kansas City this week.

Just as how they are playing now doesn't mean they will be a contender next year. How they played in April, how they have played over the last decade doesn't make them a "garbage team" now.

TomBradley72
08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
You're arguing a completely different point than Tom is making. He's saying they are a dangerous team right now and their 16-11 record in August including numerous wins against teams in playoff contention proves that to be true. He says nothing of the future.

Yep- it's the 6 games vs. the Sox that led me to post- a pre-emptive strike against the post apocalyptic posts if we lose a game to KC.

We have a similar schedule to DET in September- but we play a 2nd series vs. KC while they have a 2nd series vs. CLE. DET is also a much different team post all star- .581 winning pct.vs. .512 in the 1st half. 13 games vs. teams on the upswing- should be a helluva ride-

As far as 2013 goes for KC- the weakness of the starting rotation and the lack of high quality starters in the minor league system do not bode well for a break through season- and I think they made a mistake in hiring Yost-just not impressed.

We're set to lose some significant players post 2012- so not sure about our longer term outlook either- but I'll worry about that in November.

jdm2662
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Tom:

We'll see.

Lip

He's not talking about future. He is talking about RIGHT NOW. The Royals had a terrible April and July. The other three months of the season, they've been over .500. No, they aren't a great team, but they capable of playing competitive at times. They have a decent lineup, but they simply don't have the pitching to compete on an every day level. They are actually now in third place with the Indians taking a nose dive and the Twins being crappy most of the year.

It's no different in 2008, where the Royals finished the season 18-8 in Sept. They beat the Twins 4 out of 6 games that month in the dome. They lost only one series the entire month. That team? You guessed it, the White Sox.

On another note, we need to stop worrying about next year. There is no such thing as next year in sports. You are who you are now and next year is different. Since the Sox have a pretty good team, they need to win the division THIS YEAR. Next year is moot to me.

SCCWS
08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Go back 7-8 years and Cleveland was the young team w their future in friont of them. Sizemore Hafner and Peralta and a new manager in Eric Wedge. We even had a Indian pooster proclaiming "these young guys can really play" in his moniker. Everyone was waiting for the core of young players to propel them. Well it never happened, Wedge got canned, most of the young players never really put it all together or have been hurt as much as healthy.

sullythered
08-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Starting pitching is the most important thing and hardest to acquire thing on a team. They have bad starting pitching (except against us).

doublem23
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Go back 7-8 years and Cleveland was the young team w their future in friont of them. Sizemore Hafner and Peralta and a new manager in Eric Wedge. We even had a Indian pooster proclaiming "these young guys can really play" in his moniker. Everyone was waiting for the core of young players to propel them. Well it never happened, Wedge got canned, most of the young players never really put it all together or have been hurt as much as healthy.

Well, they were up 3-1 on the Red Sox in the '07 ALCS so it's not like that core didn't accomplish anything, they just fell apart after that.

TDog
08-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Starting pitching is the most important thing and hardest to acquire thing on a team. They have bad starting pitching (except against us).

Yet they are fourth in the league in shutouts pitched, shutting out the Tigers 1-0 last night. (The White Sox are seventh.) When you look at their averages, you are seeing contributions from a pitchers who no longer pitch for the Royals. You are looking at numbers out of context.

The Royals' starting pitching is more inconsistent than bad. It is hard to build a winner with an inconsistent pitching starting rotation, but an inconsistent pitching can shut down a good team.

Red Barchetta
08-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Growing up I enjoyed the Sox-Royals rivalry, especially during the George Brett era.

However with the Astros moving to the AL West next season, I wish the Royals and Brewers would swap leagues/divisions as well. I think the Royals would be a better regional fit in the NL Central against the Cardinals and Cubs and the Brewers would be a better regional fit in the AL Central. Wasn't there talk of this a few years ago?

AL Central:
Chicago White Sox
Minnesota Twins
Detroit Tigers
Cleveland Indians
Milwaukee Brewers

NL Central:
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals

Lip Man 1
08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Sully:

Exactly...which is why I think the Royals are in deep ****.

Lip

WisSoxFan
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Sully:

Exactly...which is why I think the Royals are in deep ****.

Lip

Again, no one are arguing for the Royals run in August being a precursor for a good 2013 season. What is being argued is that the Royals are playing well now and as far as the Sox and Tigers are concerned that's more important.

FielderJones
08-30-2012, 10:13 PM
They have bad starting pitching (except against us).

Cy Chen and Catfish Guthrie did a pretty good number on the Tigers.

KenBerryGrab
08-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Growing up I enjoyed the Sox-Royals rivalry, especially during the George Brett era.

However with the Astros moving to the AL West next season, I wish the Royals and Brewers would swap leagues/divisions as well. I think the Royals would be a better regional fit in the NL Central against the Cardinals and Cubs and the Brewers would be a better regional fit in the AL Central. Wasn't there talk of this a few years ago?

AL Central:
Chicago White Sox
Minnesota Twins
Detroit Tigers
Cleveland Indians
Milwaukee Brewers

NL Central:
Chicago Cubs
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
St. Louis Cardinals
Kansas City Royals

Brewers will never go back to the AL.

delben91
08-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Again, no one are arguing for the Royals run in August being a precursor for a good 2013 season. What is being argued is that the Royals are playing well now and as far as the Sox and Tigers are concerned that's more important.

Lip has never lost an argument in his life I imagine. He's blessed with always being right.

You're wasting your time expecting him to acknowledge Tom's point. Won't happen.

WLL1855
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Their starting pitching is still horse****. A blind squirrel finds a nut now an then.

They do have an intriguing number of young position players developing (and no, Gordon and Moustakas are not among them - they blow).

I can see them being a thorn in the side of other teams in the division but I take anyone who wants to bet on them in the near future for a playoff berth.

WhiteSox5187
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Their starting pitching is still horse****. A blind squirrel finds a nut now an then.

They do have an intriguing number of young position players developing (and no, Gordon and Moustakas are not among them - they blow).

I can see them being a thorn in the side of other teams in the division but I take anyone who wants to bet on them in the near future for a playoff berth.

Moustakas is putting up better numbers than Viciedo and is a pretty good third baseman and Gordon is leading the lead in doubles hitting .296/.367/.444 and plays a good defensive left field. I wish we had players who blew like that.

TomBradley72
08-31-2012, 09:19 AM

Their improved bullpen will at least shorten the game for them- if they can get to the bullpen- they are tougher than they were a few months ago.

Based on the length of the MLB season- teams can change dramatically between the 1st and 2nd halves. Case in point- the 1989 White Sox played .364 ball before the All Star break- but .507 after the break.

And they took some series in September from the contenders that season (i.e. 2/3 from Orioles, split a 4 game series w/CAL)

TaylorStSox
08-31-2012, 09:26 AM
Moustakas is putting up better numbers than Viciedo and is a pretty good third baseman and Gordon is leading the lead in doubles hitting .296/.367/.444 and plays a good defensive left field. I wish we had players who blew like that.
A more apt comparison is Gordon and Viciedo considering they play the same position. I don't think many GM's would go with Gordon.

SOXSINCE'70
08-31-2012, 09:52 AM

IMO, it is much easier to be a team out of contention playing with no pressure (I.E. Royals) as opposed to being a team with the pressure
squarely on their shoulders to win a playoff spot (I.E. Tiggers,White Sox).

Perhaps this is one reason White Sox (and Tigers) fans have to ask themselves this question:

"These guys have a huge ERA against the rest of the league,but we can't hit a ball out of the infield against them?!?!? ***??":(: