PDA

View Full Version : Trot Nixon Gossip

CiscoCarlos
07-27-2002, 01:16 PM
So Fox is saying that they think it likely that Thomas and Ritchie will go to the Red Sox in exchange for Trot Nixon. Hey, Trot grew up in the town I now live in (Wilmington, N.C.), also the town where Michael Jordan grew up.

One sidelight: His dad is a kidney doctor. Very wealthy and very respected though he got into a mess at the beach last Christmas with some 23 year old woman he beat up at 2 am in the morning--wasn't his long suffering wife, this time.

Daddy Nixon is known for being too involved in Trot's career and is the ultimate baseball fanatic dad. I've been managing little league here for the past five years and people still talk about his constant yelling at umps, etc--though that must have been years and years ago.

But everyone likes Trot and he's a source of pride for the town. In spirit, he really reminds me of Konerko, though he's not as good as a hitter. I hope the trade goes thru.

HawkDJ
07-27-2002, 01:33 PM
I sure hope some pitching prospects will be included. Especially ones with an ERA below 5 thank you very much.

basilesox
07-27-2002, 01:34 PM
Fox just announced that Boston may be interested in Frank Thomas and Todd Ritchie for Trot Nixon and others. This deal may benefit us after all.

Nixon could go into left making Lee our new DH......Works well, because he struggles defensively.

I believe Nixon has not yet reached his prime, in which he might actually produce better than Thomas in future years. Nixon could hit 30+ Homers and drive in over a hundred runs next year. Hitting .300 could also be obtained by Nixon, who the Red Sox have been waiting on to breakout for awhile. Look at players such as Sosa and Luis Gonzalez who did not break out until 5 or 6 years after they made the jump to the majors.

Dumping Ritchie is huge for us, because he is a below average player, that Manuel will continue to start (for some reason) while he is still in CHitown.

WinningUgly!
07-27-2002, 01:36 PM
I've always liked Trot Nixon. It would be nice to add a good left-handed bat with pop to the lineup, as well as a good glove & arm in the outfield. That being said, I'm not sure I'd want to see Frank dealt for him...although unloading Ritchie in the deal would make it a lot easier to swallow.

WinningUgly!
07-27-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by basilesox
Fox just announced that Boston may be interested in Frank Thomas and Todd Ritchie for Trot Nixon and others.

I'm sure one of the "others" will end up being Jack Squat!
:KW
"I've had my eye on that guy for a while."

soxtalker
07-27-2002, 01:49 PM
What is Nixon being paid this and following years? How many years is he under contract?

I should know this, but how many years is Ritchie signed for and how much each year?

spaz
07-27-2002, 02:34 PM
hopefully this is just a boston media based fantasy

cause trot nixon is a middle of the road type of player one that is not even in frank's league, and frankly can't hold his jock hitting wise. He's already 28 and I don't think he's going to get much better.

Also recently it looks like frank is turning it around, and right now kw would be selling low, since his stats aren't the best.

What other middle of the road stiff's does boston wants tp give us for frank, I'm sure kenny would love to take on a few of them aka tony clark, Brian Daubach. But please kenny we don't need these middle of the road half-assed players.

As for getting pitching prospects boston only has a few that are any good(Anotherwords there farm system is extremely barren)., and with kenny trading we won't get them.

So in conclsion if this happens I hope kenny burns in hell for getting rid of the franchise's best player for useless stiffs.

MarkEdward
07-27-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by spaz
hopefully this is just a boston media based fantasy

cause trot nixon is a middle of the road type of player one that is not even in frank's league, and frankly can't hold his jock hitting wise. He's already 28 and I don't think he's going to get much better.

I agree. Nixon is a very good player, with a strong OBP and good slugging, but he's very replaceable. He's not going to get much better than he is now. Ritchie for Nixon would be a steal for us; throwing in Thomas would be awful.

kermittheefrog
07-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Okay I dunno if I've specifically said this on the board but I have said to several people that I think Frank Thomas will come through with a big second half. My logic is hopefully the first half was just him readjusting to playing everyday after he was out most of last year. Right now Frank is off to a second half start where he is hitting like Frank. Lets hope he keeps it up. 56 ABs isn't enough to draw any conclusions but I think Frank could keep this up.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Okay I dunno if I've specifically said this on the board but I have said to several people that I think Frank Thomas will come through with a big second half. My logic is hopefully the first half was just him readjusting to playing everyday after he was out most of last year. Right now Frank is off to a second half start where he is hitting like Frank. Lets hope he keeps it up. 56 ABs isn't enough to draw any conclusions but I think Frank could keep this up.

Maybe he will.

Depending on what you want to believe he'll be doing that in another uniform.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 05:21 PM
i guess i have to get used to the idea of big frank being in another uni. i will not like the trade, unless if it for several good prospects, which is not going to happen. getting trot is not a fair exchange but better then what we got from oak. frank should retire in a sox uni.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
i guess i have to get used to the idea of big frank being in another uni. i will not like the trade, unless if it for several good prospects, which is not going to happen. getting trot is not a fair exchange but better then what we got from oak. frank should retire in a sox uni.

I think a lot of this is just talk. Similar to the whole Sosa to NY thing.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 05:36 PM
i am one of the old schools in believing in loyalty, and i would still want frank to retire with the sox, regardless of what that numb-skull have said in the past.

baggio202
07-27-2002, 06:37 PM
deal is off...sox wanted fossum and nixon and the bosix refused to part with fossum and KW backed out...so atleast for now its off...in a way thats too bad...i dont want thomas traded but if he had to go getting trot nixon would make the deal a lot easier to take

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
deal is off...sox wanted fossum and nixon and the bosix refused to part with fossum and KW backed out...so atleast for now its off...in a way thats too bad...i dont want thomas traded but if he had to go getting trot nixon would make the deal a lot easier to take

now he decide to play hardball, fossum is nothing but a long relief pitcher at best.

i am glad the deal is off.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
now he decide to play hardball, fossum is nothing but a long relief pitcher at best.

i am glad the deal is off.

I guess your looking forward to seeing Frank on a 2nd place team for the next few years then.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I guess your looking forward to seeing Frank on a 2nd place team for the next few years then.

yes and this is a big if, if frank come back and hits like he is capable of, move jose back to #2 and with the lineup, we can compete.

dougs78
07-27-2002, 07:52 PM

I fail to see any relevance this statement has to being glad that Frank is not (hopefully) being traded.

I sure hope you're not saying that we should somehow hope frank is traded so he won't be on our "second place team."

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
I fail to see any relevance this statement has to being glad that Frank is not (hopefully) being traded.

I sure hope you're not saying that we should somehow hope frank is traded so he won't be on our "second place team."

I want to see Frank win a world series, he isn't doing that here.

LongDistanceFan
07-27-2002, 08:00 PM
hey if the rumors are true, the fa comp, then we can be sure to pursue other fa's to plug in and solidify the lineup. including the pitching rotation.

ha but then agian, i am sure i could win the lotto. :D:

dougs78
07-28-2002, 01:35 AM

I want to see Frank win a world series, he isn't doing that here.

I am still a little hazy on your thought process here. I would love to see Frank Thomas win a world series as well. I'd also love to see PK, Maggs, Buehrle, Garland, Foulke, etc, etc all win a WS ring.

So following your logic I suppose we should just hand them all over to the Yankees. Sure, alot of those guys would never see the field for the yanks, but hey, they'd win a ring right? Then all we sox fans could just be soooo happy for "our" players winning that elusive ring.

Sorry, but I'll pass. Lets go ahead and keep these guys, especially the best hitter in team history.

dougs78
07-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Oh, and if you really want Frank to win a world series are you sure Boston is the right place???

doublem23
07-28-2002, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I agree with Kermit. It's not like we're going to win anything this year anyways, so why not take a gamble on Frank coming back to form this 2nd half and in 2003? Frank's potential to readjust to the bigs is like 10x better than Trot Nixon or whatever other moron Boston is willing to dump.

There is absolutely no reason to trade Frank Thomas right now.

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 01:56 AM
I am still a little hazy on your thought process here. I would love to see Frank Thomas win a world series as well. I'd also love to see PK, Maggs, Buehrle, Garland, Foulke, etc, etc all win a WS ring.

So following your logic I suppose we should just hand them all over to the Yankees. Sure, alot of those guys would never see the field for the yanks, but hey, they'd win a ring right? Then all we sox fans could just be soooo happy for "our" players winning that elusive ring.

Sorry, but I'll pass. Lets go ahead and keep these guys, especially the best hitter in team history.

My thought process is this: Frank Thomas has four years left on his contract, I'm of the opinion that the White Sox will not make the playoffs within the next four seasons. So he won't get the chance to win here.

Konerko and Magglio have long careers ahead of them. Most likely elsewhere to, so they'll get their shot.

Oh, and if you really want Frank to win a world series are you sure Boston is the right place???

Boston has as good a shot as anyone else. Add Frank to Nomar and Ramirez. They have a good 1-2 pitching combo as well.

Chisox_cali
07-28-2002, 02:41 AM
Jerry do you truley believe, as a White Sox Fan, that they will never ever as long as the sport of baseball exists win a World Series?

Jerry_Manuel
07-28-2002, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Jerry do you truley believe, as a White Sox Fan, that they will never ever as long as the sport of baseball exists win a World Series?

I don't think I said anything of the kind. They won't be winning one under Reinsdorf that's for sure.

Chisox_cali
07-28-2002, 03:03 AM

I don't think I said anything of the kind. They won't be winning one under Reinsdorf that's for sure.

Well as long as you don't believe it will never happen.... because you just never know.

baggio202
07-28-2002, 11:25 AM

agreed 100%...as long as reinsdorf owns the team we can look forward to sneaking up and winning the division once every 7 -10 years and then a quick exit out of the playoffss...getting our hopes up for the next season only to have them crushed by mid may...welcome to the the reinsdorf legacy