PDA

View Full Version : New Wild Card Format Question...

Red Barchetta
08-30-2012, 09:32 AM
First, I like the idea of adding a second wild card team this post season. Not so much for the idea of adding another team, rather for the fact that winning the division now means something again. I hated how some divisional opponents would not care about a 1-game home field advantage swing in the division series.

My question is what happens if there is a 3 or 4-way tie for the wildcard? If the season ended last week, the Rays, Tigers and Orioles had the same record. If this happens, what rules will be used to determine which team plays which team first and what decided home field advantage?

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-30-2012, 09:41 AM
According to wikipedia...

Three-way tie for the division or wildcard

The three teams will be designated as "A", "B" and "C". A two-game elimination format will ensue. In Game 1, A will host B. The following day, in Game 2, the winner of Game 1 will host C. The winner of Game 2 advances to the postseason.
The designations for teams A, B and C will be determined by the applicable scenario below.

If the three teams have identical records against each other in the regular season, the office of the commissioner conducts a draw with the teams designated as teams A, B, and C.

If the three teams do not have identical records against one another, the team designations are determined as follows:

If one team has a better record against both other teams, and another team has a winning record against the final team, the first team shall get the first pick of their team designation, the second team gets the second pick, and the last team is assigned the remaining designation.

If one team has a better record against both of the other teams, and the two other teams have the same record against each other, then the first team gets the first pick for team designation, and the other teams draw lots. The winner of the draw gets the second pick, and the loser of the draw is assigned the remaining designation.

If two teams have the same record against each other, and both have a better record than the last team, then the first two teams draw lots, with the winner choosing their designation first, the loser of the draw picking their designation second and the final team being assigned the remaining designation.

If each team has a winning record against one team in the three-team group, and a losing record against the other team in the group, the priority for choosing designations shall be based on overall winning percentage within the three-team group. Any ties in winning percentage within the group will be broken by drawing lots.

Ties among four teams

The four teams draw lots, as teams A, B, C, and D. On the first day team B plays at team A and team D plays at team C. The next day the winners of these games play each other at the ballpark of either team A or B (depending on who won the game).

--------------------------------

The gist I get is that the C designation may be the most desirable draw. It's a guaranteed away game, but you only have to win one game to clinch the spot, as opposed to A or B, where you have to win two. The worst draw may be B, since they are the away team in the initial game, and if they win, they have to travel back to their home park to take on a fresh team.

DeadMoney
08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
First, I like the idea of adding a second wild card team this post season. Not so much for the idea of adding another team, rather for the fact that winning the division now means something again. I hated how some divisional opponents would not care about a 1-game home field advantage swing in the division series.

My question is what happens if there is a 3 or 4-way tie for the wildcard? If the season ended last week, the Rays, Tigers and Orioles had the same record. If this happens, what rules will be used to determine which team plays which team first and what decided home field advantage?

MLB is going to run into this mess with this at some point, and it's going to wreak havoc on the playoff schedule.

My understanding for a 4 way tie for ONE spot is as follows (and it's probably similar if 4 teams tie for the two spots where the second game would just be the WC game):
- Those 4 teams would be randomly assigned an A, B, C, D
- B would play at A, D would play at C
- The winner of both games would then play (at the winner of the A/B game)

A bigger mess comes into play if - say - the Sox/Tigers tied, but also tied with two/three other teams for the second wild card spot (or something along those lines). It could cause a team like the Sox/Tigers to play 4 or 5 games in 4 or 5 cities in as many days (from the final game of the regular season, to the 1-game playoff for the division, to a 1-game playoff for the WC spot, to a WC Playoff game, to the first game of the ALDS).

TDog
08-30-2012, 10:01 AM
MLB is going to run into this mess with this at some point, and it's going to wreak havoc on the playoff schedule.

My understanding for a 4 way tie for ONE spot is as follows (and it's probably similar if 4 teams tie for the two spots where the second game would just be the WC game):
- Those 4 teams would be randomly assigned an A, B, C, D
- B would play at A, D would play at C
- The winner of both games would then play (at the winner of the A/B game)

A bigger mess comes into play if - say - the Sox/Tigers tied, but also tied with two/three other teams for the second wild card spot (or something along those lines). It could cause a team like the Sox/Tigers to play 4 or 5 games in 4 or 5 cities in as many days (from the final game of the regular season, to the 1-game playoff for the division, to a 1-game playoff for the WC spot, to a WC Playoff game, to the first game of the ALDS).

That isn't as much a mess as it is do-or-die pressure, win-or-go-home games, teams playing with the season on the line.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-30-2012, 10:03 AM

A team can avoid that by, say, winning their division outright.

WLL1855
08-31-2012, 12:21 AM
That isn't as much a mess as it is do-or-die pressure, win-or-go-home games, teams playing with the season on the line.

It is still a mess. Only in the mind of Bud Selig (or TDog) is this a good thing.

TDog
08-31-2012, 01:43 AM
It is still a mess. Only in the mind of Bud Selig (or TDog) is this a good thing.

Is it a bad thing to have two teams playing the day after the season ends to stay in the postseason picture? The mess makes for more drama. It's why they no longer have a first-place regular-season winner going directly to the World Series. I remember 1968. It was very neat. Baseball also was boring in September.

Red Barchetta
08-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the clarification. As mentioned, I like the new format because it gives the teams something to fight for in terms of winning the division. The last few years when the Yankees/Rays were coming down to the wire, I sensed neither team cared too much as to who won the division and who won the wild card. They knew they could not play each other until the ALCS so it was merely a contest as to who gets home field advantage. Plus, if the the AL West or AL Central division winner had the better record, both teams would lose home field advantage during the ALDS.

This also benefits the division winners who get a better opportunity to set their pitching rotation while the Wild Card teams may have to send out their ace just to get into the next playoff round.

TDog
09-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the clarification. As mentioned, I like the new format because it gives the teams something to fight for in terms of winning the division. The last few years when the Yankees/Rays were coming down to the wire, I sensed neither team cared too much as to who won the division and who won the wild card. They knew they could not play each other until the ALCS so it was merely a contest as to who gets home field advantage. Plus, if the the AL West or AL Central division winner had the better record, both teams would lose home field advantage during the ALDS.

This also benefits the division winners who get a better opportunity to set their pitching rotation while the Wild Card teams may have to send out their ace just to get into the next playoff round.

Division winners might not be able to set their rotations if the races remain as close as they are. Things could open up in the next month, but teams might have to go all out to win the division and not face a playoff game or even a playoff to get to the wild card game.

And while some may have cynically believed the play-in wild card guaranteed the Yankees and Red Sox would both make the postseason, the East is so wide open this year that it's possible both could miss even the wild card round.

Baseball isn't just about the postseason. It's about the races, and this race, at least in the American League, is shaping up to be as good as any in my lifetime, involving more teams. The extra wild card team is a huge reason for that.

palehozenychicty
09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Division winners might not be able to set their rotations if the races remain as close as they are. Things could open up in the next month, but teams might have to go all out to win the division and not face a playoff game or even a playoff to get to the wild card game.

And while some may have cynically believed the play-in wild card guaranteed the Yankees and Red Sox would both make the postseason, the East is so wide open this year that it's possible both could miss even the wild card round.

Baseball isn't just about the postseason. It's about the races, and this race, at least in the American League, is shaping up to be as good as any in my lifetime, involving more teams. The extra wild card team is a huge reason for that.

So Bud Selig may have been onto something by throwing another wild card into the mix?

I'm fine with it. The Orioles have become compelling as a contender.

TDog
09-03-2012, 02:12 AM
So Bud Selig may have been onto something by throwing another wild card into the mix?

I'm fine with it. The Orioles have become compelling as a contender.

The Orioles could win the East. The Yankees could be fighting ofr one of the two wild card slots.

It isn't just the extra wild card team though. There is much more balance in the American League this year. Maybe the presence of a second wild card giving more hope to teams who wouldn't otherwise have postseason aspirations has something to do with that, though.

I would love to see the Yankees, Angels and Tigers miss the postseason, but if they did, the A's would probably make it, and that would be almost as bad.