PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-29 Defeathering the Birds with an Axe; SOX 8 BAL 1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-29-2012, 08:58 PM
That was exactly the kind of win we needed.

Axelrod went deeper than any of us reasonably could have expected, and none of our primary relievers had to pitch.

Great night from Viciedo, Alexei and Beckham, which was huge on an off night from the heart of our order.

Let's get the split tomorrow, and go Royals. Nice to see DET struggle with Cy Chen.

ChiSoxGal85
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Sometimes the games you think the Sox will win, they lose - and the games you're sure the Sox will lose, the unexpected happens...Dylan Axelrod. :bandance:

Great to see Alexlrod step in and show the vets how to pitch against a hot Baltimore lineup. I griped a little about a couple of walks early on, but he settled in nicely.

A much-needed win...now, go Royals!

tstrike2000
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Really nice to see Axelrod and the Sox offense step it up, but why was Veal lifted with two outs and nobody on in the ninth?

thomas35forever
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice surprising performance from Axelrod tonight. Really shows anyone on this team can have a night and that's why we're contending. Keep it going, boys!

voodoochile
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Great job. Nice bounce back. That first inning was pure beauty and Dylan was better than expected or necessary.

Go Royals!

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

central44
08-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Two great starts in a row for Axelrod. Obviously he still has a lot to prove, but it would be nice if he can make Floyd or Humber expendable.

all*star quentin
08-29-2012, 09:03 PM
That was a great game! :gulp:

roylestillman
08-29-2012, 09:04 PM
MLB Network is saying that Youklis was taken out do to unspecified injury.

Nice to see the Windy City Thunderbolt alum. pitch a gem.

BleacherBandit
Who knew that Axelrod would have a better game than Sale?

Those twelve straight outs were impressive.

guillensdisciple
Watched via gamecast, due to writing and all of that, but loved to see the offensive explosion. Win tomorrow Sox, and lets go into Detroit with a bigger lead.

CoopaLoop
And we have Cy Chen currently shutting the Tiggers down.

Frater Perdurabo
Not sure why Jones was summoned to get the last out with a 7-run lead and no one on base, but I won't quibble with an 8-1 win.

JB posted in last night's game thread that this season will come down to how the offense produces. I think we pretty much know what to expect from Youkilis, Dunn, PK, Rios and AJ. They are established veterans who slump occasionally but generally are consistent. Wise is filling in capably for DeAza. Therefore, I think the success of the offense will rest on the bottom third: Alexei, Viciedo and Beckham. If these guys produce like tonight more often, we will take the division.

slavko
08-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Kid can't break a pane of glass, but throws some nasty ****, two different sliders, nice 2 seamer, change, if my eyes don't deceive me. Doesn't center anything. He's improved, credit the coaching, maybe Jake for the disappearing slider. I feel more confident with him going than Gavin, and I love Gavin's stuff. Call me crazy if you want.

Way to play one game at a time guys! Can't play yesterday's game again.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Hallelujah! A win against the O's and in Baltimore no less will wonders never cease!!!!!!!!!

Tip of the cap to Axelrod, that was a hell of a game he threw tonight.

Is it to much to ask help from the Royals again?

Lip

A. Cavatica
Great game from Ax-Rod.

Madvora
I'd rather have Axelrod out there than Floyd, and I thought that before this game.

kittle42
08-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Great game from Ax-Rod.

Saved you one keystroke.

Dibbs
08-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Saved you one keystroke.

That had me cracking up.

Anyway, huge win tonight. With Sale losing yesterday, this was a big game.

PushinWeight
08-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Very nice game after two tough loses. Just what the doctor ordered.

soxfan1965
08-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Nice job Cy against the Bad Boys, shutting them out. KC heat helped too. Finish them off KC tomorrow.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow, 3 game lead and we are 1-2 on the week.

Detroit fans must be pissed.

The great part is, absolutely zero of them are reading these boards right now.

Awesome Sox, awesome.

A. Cavatica
08-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Saved you one keystroke.

Not really, I had to hit the Shift key for the R.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Nice game Dylan, way to come through when we really needed you kid. Too many full counts and three walks early, but you calmed down and kicked some ass.

The offense finally woke up too; the 4 spot in the 1st was a pleasant surprise.

Get the split tomorrow, and go KC -- I hate you bastards a little less tonight.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Difference between the clubs: the Sox are adequate on the road. The Tigers are kinda bad on the road.

OmahaSoxFan
08-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Good to see the Royals and Bruce Chen being a pain in the rear end to another team besides the White Sox!

3 games up after tonight's results -YESSSSS! DSNB!

guillensdisciple
08-29-2012, 09:45 PM
The worst the White Sox can be after this road trip is 1 game down. Not preferred, but if we win tomorrow and win one in Detroit we will leave with a 2 game lead. That's awesome.

aryzner
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Yep, it'd be nice to go into Detroit with at least a 3 game lead.

Who knows, Kansas City may even sweep tomorrow if we're lucky.

Crooked Number
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Got to see the last 4 innings after work. Great to see the bottom producing. What a huge lift from Dylan tonight. Chen now 10-10 on the year, nice to see him shut another contender down. Puts things in perspective.

Awesome Sox, awesome.

I wonder if they have a message board that has alot of "guests" tonight. Love it.

soxinem1
08-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Really nice to see Axelrod and the Sox offense step it up, but why was Veal lifted with two outs and nobody on in the ninth?

I saw him mentioning something about that, then Flowers kind of told him tomorrow is another game.

We need that. Guys who WANT to stay in!!!!

Brian26
08-29-2012, 09:52 PM

Not sure why Jones was summoned to get the last out with a 7-run lead and no one on base, but I won't quibble with an 8-1 win.

That was my only comment other than congrats to Axelrod, who's pitched big games now against Boston, the Yankees and Baltimore.

Perhaps a little gamesmanship on the part of Robin. Veal was cruising, the Orioles were swinging at everything, just no reason to make that pitching change.

And for some reason, those hotdogs that John from Indian Head Park makes on his Foreman grill in the garage, they look good. Maybe its the onions.

OmahaSoxFan
08-29-2012, 09:52 PM
The worst the White Sox can be after this road trip is 1 game down. Not preferred, but if we win tomorrow and win one in Detroit we will leave with a 2 game lead. That's awesome.

This is awesome indeed! Get a W to salvage a split tomorrow with Quintana on the hill, then go for a gut punch and at least take 2 if not sweep the Tigers this weekend. That would be a tall task for this team, but it looks like the Tigers might be hitting the skids a little too with their struggles against KC (sound familiar?). Would be nice to see KC sweep them tomorrow like they did to the Sox... And maybe open things up a tad bit more. Still a lot of ball to be played though.

SoxandtheCityTee
08-29-2012, 09:54 PM

I was wondering what happened to Oblong. He gone?

fram40
08-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd like four wins on this road trip. How about the next three? That'd be cool.

Good game tonight. I was really nervous - two game losing streak and Ax-Rod pitching? But then he held the lead in the first inning - unlike so many Sox pitchers who seemingly give runs back immediately after the Sox take the lead.

Now if Quintana can pitch well and win tomorrow, the Sox can go into Detroit with som momentum.

soxinem1
08-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Two great starts in a row for Axelrod. Obviously he still has a lot to prove, but it would be nice if he can make Floyd or Humber expendable.

There is a long list of pitchers, including Roger Clemens, that would make them expendable.

Axelrod will never be a regular MLB starter.

tstrike2000
08-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Dylan's had a couple of nice outings for us this year, he could play a part in this last month again if Gavin is still out.

Nelfox02
08-29-2012, 10:07 PM
MLB Network is saying that Youklis was taken out do to unspecified injury.

only negative element to a great night for the Sox......I dont see anything else on this anywhere, hopefully nothing serious...

The Immigrant
08-29-2012, 10:08 PM

Come on now, that's a silly statement. Lucas Harrell is a regular MLB starter. So is Clayton Richard.

There's no reason Dylan Axelrod can't be one. Maybe not with the Sox, but he can be a regular starter in the big leagues.

aryzner
08-29-2012, 10:09 PM
With how streaky the offense seems to be, and the bats awakening again tonight, I hope this is the start of a streak that lasts into the weekend. It'd be nice for the Sox to have their bats in Detroit.

TheOldRoman
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Not really, I had to hit the Shift key for the R.
:rolling:

JB98
08-29-2012, 10:38 PM

JB posted in last night's game thread that this season will come down to how the offense produces. I think we pretty much know what to expect from Youkilis, Dunn, PK, Rios and AJ. They are established veterans who slump occasionally but generally are consistent. Wise is filling in capably for DeAza. Therefore, I think the success of the offense will rest on the bottom third: Alexei, Viciedo and Beckham. If these guys produce like tonight more often, we will take the division.

Yeah, I noted earlier all three of those players had OBPs below .290 coming into tonight's game. At the very least, the Sox need them to do a better job of turning the lineup over. Tonight, they did better than that. Rios got a big hit to put the team ahead, but the bottom of the order was responsible for the tack-on runs.

Axelrod labored early, but he settled in nicely and provided a quality start. Excellent job in spot duty.

The WSI community needed a lopsided win like this to calm the frayed nerves. Picking up a game on the Tigers tonight is an added bonus.

SoxSpeed22
08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
This game is funny. Someone who bounces between AAA and the majors pitches that great, while our ace has that much trouble.
It was nice to hit a lefty this time around. The team usually does a nice job of rebounding from crap losses.

palehozenychicty
08-29-2012, 10:57 PM
This game is funny. Someone who bounces between AAA and the majors pitches that great, while our ace has that much trouble.
It was nice to hit a lefty this time around. The team usually does a nice job of rebounding from crap losses.

It puts you into perspective to see how long and difficult the game and season is on these guys. Anything can happen after the first pitch.

Let's see what they can do tomorrow.

Noneck
08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
only negative element to a great night for the Sox......I dont see anything else on this anywhere, hopefully nothing serious...

The Sox are bringing up an infielder so there must be concern.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
There is a long list of pitchers, including Roger Clemens, that would make them expendable.

Are you ****ting me? He's 50 years old and is throwing 88. Clemens has no shot in hell of pitching in MLB again -- unless it's a horse**** publicity stunt.

thomas35forever
08-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Are you ****ting me? He's 50 years old and is throwing 88. Clemens has no shot in hell of pitching in MLB again -- unless it's a horse**** publicity stunt.
The Astros are probably desperate to put any asses in their seats, but I hope that's not the case.

TheOldRoman
08-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Are you ****ting me? He's 50 years old and is throwing 88. Clemens has no shot in hell of pitching in MLB again -- unless it's a horse**** publicity stunt.Yeah, but Floyd... ZOMG I H8 HIM!!1!

TDog
08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Come on now, that's a silly statement. Lucas Harrell is a regular MLB starter. So is Clayton Richard.

There's no reason Dylan Axelrod can't be one. Maybe not with the Sox, but he can be a regular starter in the big leagues.

And Daniel Hudson, who Harrell started in place of the day the White Sox traded him, is out and hasn't been a good starting pitcher for about a year. Sometimes you never know.

No doubt Baltimore fans expected more from Hudson's old teammate tonight. I wonder if there were any Orioles fans complaining about their team's inability to hit a minor leaguer while their newly acquired pitcher was giving up more runs in the first inning than the White Sox had scored in the previous 18 against Orioles pitching.

The runs must have made it easier for Axelrod, at least to the point that it took some of the pressure off. The two-out, two-RBI Ramirez single in the first was a big hit of the sort the Sox haven't been getting in recent road games. Taking nothing away from Axelrod, who still had to make his pitches, but with the lead he didn't give the Orioles hitters a chance to work their way into his head.

Originally, I thought this could be a heavy bullpen game, which I think was why more relievers weren't used Tuesday. But in addition to pitching well, Axelrod went as deeper into the game than expected, without lettiing things get weird the second and third times through the order.

Last night during the Orioles telecast (annoying because Gary Thorne uses future tense to describe things that he sees happening in the present, which by the time he says them are in the past -- i.e., Dewayne Wise will single to start the game when he just did), the announcers were talking about the White Sox not taking the Orioles seriously becasue they were bringing up Axelrod to pitch and saving Peavy for the Tigers series.

I don't know if that approached being bulletin board material in either clubhouse, but it was nice to see Axelrod respond, which was somethng Pedro Hernandez did not do in a very similar situation when the Sox were in Boston before going to Detroit.

cards press box
08-30-2012, 04:24 AM

Perhaps a little gamesmanship on the part of Robin. Veal was cruising, the Orioles were swinging at everything, just no reason to make that pitching change.

I was listening to the Orioles' radio broadcast on XM radio during the 9th inning and the switch to Jones sure seemed to annoy their play-by-play announcer. Who knows, maybe the Sox wanted to have Jones work on something in a no pressure situation?

In any event, excellent start from Dylan Axelrod and nice win for the Sox, stretching the lead to 3 games over Detroit. A split tomorrow would be excellent!

:winner

Chez
08-30-2012, 06:12 AM
I'm not am Axelrod fan, but he overcame a shaky start and pitched very well. He's a good 6th starter. Of course, it was nice to give him a 4 run lead right out of the gate. Hopefully Youk is ok.

TomBradley72
08-30-2012, 08:47 AM

Yep- and the team so many referred to as "garbage" (Royals) just beat the Tigers for the 2nd night in a row- after pounding their ace the night before.

That's why this is such a great game- and it really comes out in pennant races-

At some point results trump scouting reports, stats, etc. Axelrod has pitched with poise on the road in Boston, New York and Baltimore, has defended his position well, has shown the mental toughness to handle pitching at the major league level- I think he's proving himself as a good swing man (5th starter/long reliever)- if not with the Sox- then eventually in the NL. If pushed- I might take him over Humber.

TomBradley72
08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I was listening to the Orioles' radio broadcast on XM radio during the 9th inning and the switch to Jones sure seemed to annoy their play-by-play announcer. Who knows, maybe the Sox wanted to have Jones work on something in a no pressure situation?

In any event, excellent start from Dylan Axelrod and nice win for the Sox, stretching the lead to 3 games over Detroit. A split tomorrow would be excellent!

:winner

The only rationale for Jones I could think of was that Robin might want to get him a few "final out" appearances in case he ever needs him to close? Sometimes a manager will use situations like this to begin to prepare/condition a guy for closing(not replacing Reed- but due to injury, overwork, etc).

Grasping at straws-can't think of another reason-

doublem23
08-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Because Robin, like just about everyone else in the baseball establishment, just likes to piss off Buck Showalter?

SoxandtheCityTee
08-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Because Robin, like just about everyone else in the baseball establishment, just likes to piss off Buck Showalter?

:D: A temptation easily given in to.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Because Robin, like just about everyone else in the baseball establishment, just likes to piss off Buck Showalter?Speaking of which, the Orioles are doing good this year, but to turn their organiztion around, they need to fire Showalter. The Yankees and Diamondbacks both won a World Series the year after canning him, and the Rangers really turned it around after firing him (although there were obviously more circumstances at play). You'd think that track record would tell one that was was a failure at his job, but good 'ol Buck still thinks he's the best.

slavko
08-30-2012, 09:16 AM
The only rationale for Jones I could think of was that Robin might want to get him a few "final out" appearances in case he ever needs him to close? Sometimes a manager will use situations like this to begin to prepare/condition a guy for closing(not replacing Reed- but due to injury, overwork, etc).

Yeah, thought about Nate closing before Reed made it his job. If he solves his wildness, the stuff is there.

FielderJones
08-30-2012, 10:21 AM

I was thinking that because they warmed Jones up, they wanted to use him in the game.

voodoochile
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
And Daniel Hudson, who Harrell started in place of the day the White Sox traded him, is out and hasn't been a good starting pitcher for about a year. Sometimes you never know.

No doubt Baltimore fans expected more from Hudson's old teammate tonight. I wonder if there were any Orioles fans complaining about their team's inability to hit a minor leaguer while their newly acquired pitcher was giving up more runs in the first inning than the White Sox had scored in the previous 18 against Orioles pitching.

The runs must have made it easier for Axelrod, at least to the point that it took some of the pressure off. The two-out, two-RBI Ramirez single in the first was a big hit of the sort the Sox haven't been getting in recent road games. Taking nothing away from Axelrod, who still had to make his pitches, but with the lead he didn't give the Orioles hitters a chance to work their way into his head.

Originally, I thought this could be a heavy bullpen game, which I think was why more relievers weren't used Tuesday. But in addition to pitching well, Axelrod went as deeper into the game than expected, without lettiing things get weird the second and third times through the order.

Last night during the Orioles telecast (annoying because Gary Thorne uses future tense to describe things that he sees happening in the present, which by the time he says them are in the past -- i.e., Dewayne Wise will single to start the game when he just did), the announcers were talking about the White Sox not taking the Orioles seriously becasue they were bringing up Axelrod to pitch and saving Peavy for the Tigers series.

I don't know if that approached being bulletin board material in either clubhouse, but it was nice to see Axelrod respond, which was somethng Pedro Hernandez did not do in a very similar situation when the Sox were in Boston before going to Detroit.

Axelrod may have also benefited from there not being a "book" on him and the Orioles never having seen his stuff before. His game log shows he has never faced the Orioles. Maybe whatever book they did have from his limited appearances in the Bigs isn't valid either. The guy just spent 3.5 months in the minors. I'd would find it hard to believe that nothing changed in that time.

hawkjt
08-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Great outing by Axelrod....very clutch.

I think Robin just wanted to get Jones some work. He tends to not be sharp if he rests too long. A one out stint gives him enough work to keep the strike zone in reach for his next outing. Wildness is his biggest issue.

Eric Stultz is doing quite well with the Padres right now.
Too bad the Sox had to expose him for the Padres to pick up.
Between Quintana,Stultz and Axelrod,the Sox have shown some useful starters down on the farm this year.

Huge game today....go get'em,and hope that Guthrie shuts down the Tigers in KC.

soxinem1
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM

Both of them have WAY better stuff. Very off base comparison.

Axelrod is better than Chris Volstad, at best.