PDA

View Full Version : Rick Telander

Steelrod
08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Anyone catch his column today? He refers to Starlin Castro as" 2 time all star and potential HAL OF FAMER! "
This probably qualifys Risso for sainthood!

DumpJerry
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
What does Castro have to do with Rizzo?

kittle42
08-29-2012, 05:05 PM
I really hope the OP was written from a cell phone.

kittle42
08-29-2012, 05:08 PM
That being said, the exact quote, "Castro is a two-time All-Star and potential Hall of Famer," is absurd.

It would be absurd to call Mike Trout a potential HOFer, and Trout is a better talent than Castro.

Castro would not be a HOFer if he spurted out the same numbers for the next 10 years.

Foulke You
08-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Telander is a huge Cubs fan. Grew up in Peoria, went to college in Chicago, etc. Wrote a column very recently about all the great times he had on the rooftops overlooking Wrigley as a young man before they went corporate. Today's article was about the great Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro. He has no bias towards one Chicago baseball team.

DumpJerry
08-29-2012, 06:13 PM
I really hope the OP was written from a cell phone.

That being said, the exact quote, "Castro is a two-time All-Star and potential Hall of Famer," is absurd.

It would be absurd to call Mike Trout a potential HOFer, and Trout is a better talent than Castro.

Castor would not be a HOFer if he spurted out the same numbers for the next 10 years.
Castor's numbers don't add up.:tongue:

kittle42
08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Grr.

Castor makes a fine oil, though!

thomas35forever
08-29-2012, 07:01 PM
I saw the article this morning and also thought he was jumping the gun on that. Long way to go, Rick.

JB98
08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
This thread is comedic gold. Moronic typos, plus a rather dubious assertion about Starlin Castro's potential. Can't beat it!

Brian26
08-29-2012, 10:43 PM
This thread is comedic gold. Moronic typos, plus a rather dubious assertion about Starlin Castro's potential. Can't beat it!

In addition to Telander being spelled incorrectly in the title.

kittle42
08-29-2012, 11:04 PM
In addition to Telander being spelled incorrectly in the title.

Risso is Talender's favorite player!

CoopaLoop
08-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Rick is a really weird dude.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2012, 12:01 AM
In addition to Telander being spelled incorrectly in the title.:angel: :whistle:

SBSoxFan
08-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Risso is Talender's favorite player!

Wasn't he the trainer in Police Academy? :redneck

Golden Sox
08-30-2012, 09:49 AM
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF. After many years of trying to brainwash everybody that the "Scab" should be in the HOF it finally happened this year. He at least waited until Santo retired before he started on how he should be in the HOF. As far as Castro goes the last time I looked he was hitting 270. Hardly HOF numbers. Also he's at best an average shortstop. He can't carry Alexi Rameriz jockstrap defensively. Telander is just another Cubs fan. I remember he dumped all over the White Sox for signing Albert Belle, citing Belles character issues. But of course he said nothing about the Cubs signing Milton Bradley. The Score hired Telander as one of their afternoon hosts a few years ago. I thought he was dull. When his show tanked in the ratings the Score pulled him from the airwaves. I was surprised when the Score hired him. I thought if anything Telander would hook up with David Kaplan on WGN radio.

doublem23
08-30-2012, 09:55 AM
This thread couldn't have devolved into complete incoherent lunacy without a crazy rant about the Pizza Man.

Well done, chaps.

kittle42
08-30-2012, 10:23 AM
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF.

I heard somewhere that you don't like Ron Santo.

eriqjaffe
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Technically speaking, any major league player is a potential Hall of Famer.

The implication is still terribly hyperbolic.

SOXPHILE
08-30-2012, 03:00 PM
For years Rick Telander was one of the writers who said Ron "The Scab/Pizza Man" Santo should be on the HOF. After many years of trying to brainwash everybody that the "Scab" should be in the HOF it finally happened this year. He at least waited until Santo retired before he started on how he should be in the HOF. As far as Castro goes the last time I looked he was hitting 270. Hardly HOF numbers. Also he's at best an average shortstop. He can't carry Alexi Rameriz jockstrap defensively. Telander is just another Cubs fan. I remember he dumped all over the White Sox for signing Albert Belle, citing Belles character issues. But of course he said nothing about the Cubs signing Milton Bradley. The Score hired Telander as one of their afternoon hosts a few years ago. I thought he was dull. When his show tanked in the ratings the Score pulled him from the airwaves. I was surprised when the Score hired him. I thought if anything Telander would hook up with David Kaplan on WGN radio.

Score didn't pull him. He quit on the air, in the middle of the show with Hood and Buffone. I guess he realized how much he sucked and didn't see the need to continue any further.

SOXSINCE'70
08-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Grr.

Castor makes a fine oil, though!

Then there's always the 70's R and B band,The Jimmy Castor Bunch.:D:

Who among us can forget "The Bertha Butt Boogie??":roflmao::roflmao:

(That is an actual song title."The Bertha Butt Boogie".Released just as Disco began to flood radio in 1974-75,IIRC) .This is a what a 50 year old remembers.:roflmao:

Lemon44
09-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Moment of silence, please, for Jimmy Castor.

Thank you.

Frontman
09-02-2012, 01:52 PM
As someone pointed out, Telander quit on WSCR mid-shift to quote "go home and spend more quality time with his family."

Keep in mind, in the middle of talking Bears football with Doug Buffone and J Hood that this guy was busy making phone calls to the Boston Red Sox to get Jed Hoyer on the line in 2004. When he landed the interview; he said,

"Johnathan, Doug; I just got off the phone with the Red Sox and Jed Hoyer will be on to talk about Boston winning the World Series. After listening to him, you'll understand why NEITHER TEAM IN THIS CITY WILL WIN A WORLD SERIES FOR YEARS TO COME."

Now, I SO freakin' desperately wanted to get on the air with him in October of 2005 just to ask him, "How'd that comment work out for you, Rick?" Sadly, he quit that summer. (The stress of the White Sox doing so good must of gotten to him.)

I remember J Hood even saying to him right after that comment, "Rick, do you even pay attention to what we're talking about? We're talking about the Bears, and you bring in the Red Sox assistant GM?"

Telander is a guy who rides his past success and wears it like a crown. Who cares that you were the Bears beat reporter when they won in 1985?

RadioheadRocks
09-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Then there's always the 70's R and B band,The Jimmy Castor Bunch.:D:

Who among us can forget "The Bertha Butt Boogie??":roflmao::roflmao:

(That is an actual song title."The Bertha Butt Boogie".Released just as Disco began to flood radio in 1974-75,IIRC) .This is a what a 50 year old remembers.:roflmao:

I'm kinda partial to TROGLODYTE.

"Gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman, gotta find a woman"

"I'll sock it to ya, Daddy!" :D:

mahagga73
09-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Anyone would have been better than Mc Neil, he is awful.

Smokey Burg
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Its been years since I read a complete Telander column. IMHO he hasn't been relevant for years and he hasn't been objective for decades. He has definitely jumped the shark. Maybe the Sun-Times has decided to give him a job until he retires.