PDA

View Full Version : Port On Hawk's Rantings...

Lip Man 1
08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Steve Rosenbloom asked the question yesterday if Hawk's comments are getting back to the umpires and hurting the Sox players.

Mike Port, who spent over 40 years in baseball, the last five working with the umpires responded.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-former-mlb-umpiring-vp-responds-20120828,0,5380880.column

My only comment is that while I agree with Port that umpires are professional to probably not let those things influence them, they are also human, with faults that all humans have and the chance is still there that it could have an effect.

The bottom line to me is, players and managers (and broadcasters) are held accountable for their actions and what they say, why are umpires so 'off limits?'

Why when one is suspended it isn't made public? Why aren't umpires except in very special situations, made available to the media for comment?

"Protecting" these people simply gives some of them an inflated sense of self worth, that comes across on the field in full view of the fans.

Umpires are no different than anyone else connected with the game...they should be held to the same standards including firing if they turn out to be incompetent.

And that should be made public as well.

Lip

BRDSR
08-29-2012, 06:54 PM
"Protecting" these people simply gives some of them an inflated sense of self worth, that comes across on the field in full view of the fans.

Umpires are no different than anyone else connected with the game...they should be held to the same standards including firing if they turn out to be incompetent.

And that should be made public as well.

Lip

Has anyone ever seen the contract between MLB and the umpire's union? I haven't, and I couldn't find it with a quick Google search. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that it is contractually impossible or virtually impossible to fire an umpire based on bad call(s). If I were negotiating for the union, that would be the number 1 priority on my list.

Also high on my list would be making sure that umpires could not be compelled to answer media questions.

mzh
08-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Has anyone ever seen the contract between MLB and the umpire's union? I haven't, and I couldn't find it with a quick Google search. But I'll bet dollars to donuts that it is contractually impossible or virtually impossible to fire an umpire based on bad call(s). If I were negotiating for the union, that would be the number 1 priority on my list.

Also high on my list would be making sure that umpires could not be compelled to answer media questions.
Weren't a bunch of umpires, including some veterans of 20+ years, fired after the 2010 playoffs for botching a number of calls?

BRDSR
08-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Weren't a bunch of umpires, including some veterans of 20+ years, fired after the 2010 playoffs for botching a number of calls?

Sort of. (http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2010-03-07/mlb-fires-three-umpire-supervisors-for-blows-playoff-calls) But notice that nobody was fired for actually botching the calls.

Edit: And see this article (http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2651/mlb-fires-umpiring-supervisors), which explicitly links the failure to fire the umpires who botched the calls to the union.