PDA

View Full Version : Twins' Mauer placed on waivers

ZombieRob
08-29-2012, 10:19 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-report-twins-mauer-placed-on-waivers-20120829,0,5529016.story

Any takers?

ChiSoxFann
08-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I know nearly every player is placed on waivers at this time of year, but man has the hometown hero fallen. That contract is going to hurt that team for a long time. $23 mil per year until 2018? And they don't like like they'll be any good for a while.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I know nearly every player is placed on waivers at this time of year, but man has the hometown hero fallen. That contract is going to hurt that team for a long time. $23 mil per year until 2018? And they don't like like they'll be any good for a while.Mauer is having a solid year, hitting .309 with an OPS of .828. The new ballpark has taken away his power numbers, and the fact that he isn't playing as many games behind the plate as I'm sure they'd like takes away from his value. He's caught 62 games and has 57 games either at first or DH. He's arguably worth that money as a catcher, but not as a DH or 1B.

He had the good fortune of becoming a free agent at the peak of insane salaries and at a time when both the Yankees and Red Sox were likely to be interested because they were looking to replace aging catchers.

DumpJerry
08-29-2012, 11:13 AM
Mauer is having a solid year, hitting .309 with an OPS of .828. The new ballpark has taken away his power numbers, and the fact that he isn't playing as many games behind the plate as I'm sure they'd like takes away from his value. He's caught 62 games and has 57 games either at first or DH. He's arguably worth that money as a catcher, but not as a DH or 1B.

He had the good fortune of becoming a free agent at the peak of insane salaries and at a time when both the Yankees and Red Sox were likely to be interested because they were looking to replace aging catchers.
Don't forget he also has great hair thanks to Head and Shoulders for Men.

guillensdisciple
08-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Dodgers?

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Don't forget he also has great hair thanks to Head and Shoulders for Men.It hasn't done nearly as much for me.

GlassSox
08-29-2012, 12:05 PM
It hasn't done nearly as much for me.

or me :(:

RKMeibalane
08-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Dodgers?

Where would he play, beyond catching, of course? Adrian Gonzalez is an excellent defensive first baseman- perhaps the best since his manager was still playing- and the Dodgers outfield appears to be set for the foreseeable future with Kemp, Crawford, Ethier, etc.

Mauer isn't likely to be able to catch on a full-time basis, which limits his value severely. Playing for a team that can't use the DH keeps him out of the lineup when he's not behind the plate.

chicagowhitesox1
08-29-2012, 01:29 PM
I heard the Redsox are interested in Mauer.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Keep in mind outside factors came into play in the Mauer signing, the Twins were trying to get a new stadium, this kid was from the area, extremely popular with the fan base...letting him go to the Yankees or Red Sox could (I say it would) have meant no new stadium deal and the renewed possibility of contraction.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Keep in mind outside factors came into play in the Mauer signing, the Twins were trying to get a new stadium, this kid was from the area, extremely popular with the fan base...letting him go to the Yankees or Red Sox could (I say it would) have meant no new stadium deal and the renewed possibility of contraction.

LipYep, very good point.

RKMeibalane
08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I heard the Redsox are interested in Mauer.

As they spent the past week trying to shed payroll, this doesn't make sense. Where did you hear this?

mrfourni
08-29-2012, 04:37 PM

Lip

Mauer signed his current contract extension in March of 2010. Ground was broken in 2007 and the stadium opened in April 2010. If the Twins don't re-sign Mauer after the 2010 season, I'm pretty sure the Stadium (and the team) would still be there.

chicagowhitesox1
08-29-2012, 04:58 PM
As they spent the past week trying to shed payroll, this doesn't make sense. Where did you hear this?

I read it earlier today but now I just read they wont be making a run for him.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Worst contract in baseball, no way in hell anyone takes him unless the twinkes pay more than half the contract.

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Mauer signed his current contract extension in March of 2010. Ground was broken in 2007 and the stadium opened in April 2010. If the Twins don't re-sign Mauer after the 2010 season, I'm pretty sure the Stadium (and the team) would still be there.

And if the final year of Mauer's old contract would have been in the new ballpark, he would have signed for half the money. The Metrodome inflated his power numbers and made him a rich man.

#1swisher
08-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Patrick Reusse
Parmelee called up. Could be filling Mauer's spot when trade is announced at 4 pm at Target Field.
4hrs

Phil Mackey
Confirmed: Today's 4 p.m. press conference WAS NOT to announce a JoeMauer trade...
4min.

Associated Press (http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8314921/minnesota-twins-put-joe-mauer-revocable-trade-waivers-report-says)

RKMeibalane
08-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Worst contract in baseball, no way in hell anyone takes him unless the twinkes pay more than half the contract.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_howard_arbitration.jpg

"Hello, my name is Ryan."

And this is being posted by someone who loves Ryan Howard.

TaylorStSox
08-31-2012, 08:33 AM
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/01/large_howard_arbitration.jpg

"Hello, my name is Ryan."

And this is being posted by someone who loves Ryan Howard.

Jayson Werth and Carl Crawford have something to say about that.

slavko
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Make it happen Kenny!

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
If we had an owner like the Tigers' or income like the Yankees, I'd say go for it and let Robin manage the challenge of getting ABs for Mauer, AJ, PK and Dunn.

But we don't, and the difference in cost between AJ and Mauer, compared to the difference in production, coupled with the cutbacks that would have to be made elsewhere, coupled with Mauer's injury history, makes a hypothetical waiver claim acquisition foolhardy.

TheOldRoman
08-31-2012, 11:30 AM
If we had an owner like the Tigers' or income like the Yankees, I'd say go for it and let Robin manage the challenge of getting ABs for Mauer, AJ, PK and Dunn.

But we don't, and the difference in cost between AJ and Mauer, compared to the difference in production, coupled with the cutbacks that would have to be made elsewhere, coupled with Mauer's injury history, makes a hypothetical waiver claim acquisition foolhardy.Even with Mauer's current numbers, he might be worth the contract (for this year and next) if he was behind the plate 130 times a year. However, it looks like he can no longer play catcher everyday, and his numbers at 1B essentially make him a rich man's John Olerud. Throw in the fact that he has six years and $140 million left on his contract, and not even the Dodgers would put in a claim for Mauer now.

BleacherBandit
08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Even with Mauer's current numbers, he might be worth the contract (for this year and next) if he was behind the plate 130 times a year. However, it looks like he can no longer play catcher everyday, and his numbers at 1B essentially make him a rich man's John Olerud. Throw in the fact that he has six years and $140 million left on his contract, and not even the Dodgers would put in a claim for Mauer now.

Agreed. His offensive numbers at catcher make him elite. At first, most competitive teams would favor stronger power numbers.

I think Mauer will remain in Minnesota. The Twins need to make some dramatic changes to their roster for the future; namely the rehabilitation of their pitching staff. The new ballpark has not accommodated their offense since 2010 (especially with the prolonged absence of Morneau) and these circumstances highlight the incongruity between Mauer's contract and the relative capability of the remaining players. However, Mauer's contract will be hard to move and it's hard for me to believe the Twins will find suitors. Additionally--and this is antithetical to the economics of baseball--it's hard for me to believe that the Twins could market themselves affectively following the forced departure of Mauer (if it ever happens). The man is revered in Minnesota. He has been a corporation's dream in the Twin Cities. He played at Cretin Derham Hall in West St. Paul; he appeals to almost every fan due to his "blue-collar" work ethic despite his upbringing in one of the wealthier Twin Cities neighborhoods.

Mauer is sponsored by almost every Minneapolis-based corporation. Kemp's Milk, Target, 3M. Remove him from the Twin Cities and I think the organization will lose a lot of loyalty. If you go to any Twins game you'll be awash in a sea of Mauer t-shirts and jerseys. Imagine the Bulls ridding themselves of Derrick Rose.

DSpivack
08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
It's not a complete failure of a season for Mauer.

How about this neat little pick-up?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1318611/MauerSmoak.gif.opt.gif