PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Keeps MLB Through 2021 ($5.6B Deal)

Hitmen77
08-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Plenty more Yankees and Red Sox love for the next 10 years:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/28/espn-signs-an-eight-year-5-6-billion-deal-to-keep-baseball/related/

I remember a time, not too long ago, when MLB was having trouble with the popularity of its network TV packages. It wasn't a big draw for the networks. $5.6 B is just for the ESPN deal. There are still deals to work out for the packages that Fox and TBS currently have.

EDIT: I see where the news story says this new deal is for double what ESPN pays per year in their current deal.

TheOldRoman
08-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, other than giving them one of the wildcard games it's the same as the current contract. Not too bad. I'm just glad they didn't get the playoffs. I hope NBC steps up and takes the main contract away from Fox. I hate the way they cover baseball (and football for that matter). NBC has by far the best picture and sound quality to their broadcasts, and I always like their graphics package while Fox's is overbearing. Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever. I would also like if CBS got the contract, but I haven't heard that they were interested.

SOXSINCE'70
08-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever.

IMHO,I'd rather NBC use Bob Costas or Vin Scully.

Nobody can call a game like Scully.I don't care if he is 93 years old:o:.
With Harry Caray and Harry Kalas (one of my favorite baseball names) now gone,Scully can call a game like noone else,IMO.
He never gets too excited when the Dodgers win or too depressed when they lose.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2012, 10:50 AM
That's to bad that ESPN kept part of the deal.

Scully by the way isn't quite that old! LOL and he announced Sunday he's returning to the booth next year for the Dodgers.

Lip

asindc
08-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Well, other than giving them one of the wildcard games it's the same as the current contract. Not too bad. I'm just glad they didn't get the playoffs. I hope NBC steps up and takes the main contract away from Fox. I hate the way they cover baseball (and football for that matter). NBC has by far the best picture and sound quality to their broadcasts, and I always like their graphics package while Fox's is overbearing. Also, if it means we get Al Michaels instead of Joe Buck, it's possibly the biggest win ever. I would also like if CBS got the contract, but I haven't heard that they were interested.

Whiz!! Bang?!%! Zoooom!!!

PKalltheway
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Scully by the way isn't quite that old! LOL and he announced Sunday he's returning to the booth next year for the Dodgers.

Lip

‏@BizballMaury
Before any expenses, as part of new ESPN deal w/MLB, ea club gets approx. $23.33M a yr. up from $10.2M. And think: FOX, TBS still to renew

Every club getting an extra $23 million per year can't be too bad.

getonbckthr
08-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Every club getting an extra $23 million per year can't be too bad.

I wonder did ESPN just pay Peavy and Youkilis for the Sox?

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2012, 12:29 PM

No.

I am also disappointed ESPN gets to keep the contract because it just means ten more years of hype for the "Empire" and the "nation."

DSpivack
08-28-2012, 12:37 PM

Unless the White Sox are somehow getting more than other clubs, no.

Viva Medias B's
08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
This is a supreme disappointment. I was hoping NBC Sports Network would get the baseball cable package. Hopefully, NBCSN will get the TBS package and NBC will get the Fox package.

TDog
08-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Lip

It says something that Vin Scully's career in Brooklyn started five years after Harry Caray's career in St. Louis, and Harry Caray is long dead.

I don't mind ESPN being part of the deal, occasionally showing baseball, although I don't believe baseball should be played on Sunday nights. I would have ESPN blocked if it weren't for the occasional live game.

kba
08-28-2012, 02:10 PM
"ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently."

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/08/28/Media/MLB-ESPN.aspx

Hitmen77
08-28-2012, 02:16 PM
"ESPN also picked up rights to carry games featuring more popular teams, such as the Yankees and Red Sox, more frequently."

...because they really don't show enough Yankees and Red Sox now.

NYY and Bos better get used Sunday night games being the norm for them for the entire season.

mrfourni
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
...because they really don't show enough Yankees and Red Sox now.

NYY and Bos better get used Sunday night games being the norm for them for the entire season.

ESPN can show the Yankees and Red Sox on Sunday night every week for all that I care. I don't usually watch Sunday Night Baseball (Sunday nights are by far the best TV night of the week for me), and I much prefer watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons. I know out of market fans probably disagree, but I just don't understand the appeal of national broadcasts for the White Sox.

Hitmen77
08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
ESPN can show the Yankees and Red Sox on Sunday night every week for all that I care. I don't usually watch Sunday Night Baseball (Sunday nights are by far the best TV night of the week for me), and I much prefer watching the Sox on Sunday afternoons. I know out of market fans probably disagree, but I just don't understand the appeal of national broadcasts for the White Sox.

I don't think it's wanting more national broadcasts for the Sox as much as wanting more variety available for non-Chicago games than just having those be mostly the same couple of teams all the time.

MLB Network has helped with that problem. This year, I subscribed to mlb.tv, so it's not an issue for me at all for this season.

WhiteSox5187
08-28-2012, 02:42 PM

I wonder how many Sunday night games this year have not featured either the Yankees or the Red Sox? It seems like those two teams are in at least 90% of Sunday night games.

kba
08-28-2012, 03:07 PM
I wonder how many Sunday night games this year have not featured either the Yankees or the Red Sox? It seems like those two teams are in at least 90% of Sunday night games.

Under ESPN's current "Sunday Night Baseball" contract, no team may appear more than five times per season. From this site (http://baseballcontinuum.wordpress.com/tag/sunday-night-baseball/), here's the list of the top ten team appearances from 2007 - 2011:

1. Yankees (25 appearances)
2. Red Sox (24)
3. Cubs and Cardinals (23)
5. Mets (22)
6. Phillies (20)
7. Dodgers (18)
8. Braves (17)
9. Angels (12)
10. Tigers (11)

bunkaroo
08-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Agreed 100%. Sunday nights are crazy for my DVR as is. It's bad enough when there's a Hawks game on Sunday night.

doublem23
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Agreed 100%. Sunday nights are crazy for my DVR as is. It's bad enough when there's a Hawks game on Sunday night.

That's not going to be an issue this year

DumpJerry
08-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Since ESPN loves baseball so much, the Cub fan in my office and I want to offer them to cover our discussions about MLB for 1% of the price they are paying MLB. We'll even throw in some NFL talk.

SephClone89
08-28-2012, 04:21 PM
I don't mind ESPN being part of the deal, occasionally showing baseball, although I don't believe baseball should be played on Sunday nights.

I read this post before looking at the username, but after reading this sentiment I just knew it had to be you.

Eh? I don't care about whether the Sox are on national TV, though I certainly welcome a Hawk-free night on occasion. But I'm a fan of baseball, and I usually tune in to Sunday Night Baseball for at least part of the game each week, though I've been busy with my new job lately.

But then, I don't watch much TV regularly during baseball season, save Mad Men this year which did interfere with Sunday Night Baseball.

I have no problem with them keeping this deal. I like how much baseball they show on a weekly basis. Get rid of the third man in the booth on Sunday nights--Shulman and Hershiser are a good team.

ESPN is generally fine at covering live sporting events. While they certainly give disproportional coverage to the Yanks and Sawx and that can be annoying, I have no problem with how they cover a game. I think people have trouble compartmentalizing the SportsCenter-Industrial Complex and when they actually air sports. I always enjoy watching baseball, soccer or tennis on ESPN.

hawkjt
08-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Adrian Gonzalez of the Red Sox(before the trade) complained about all those Sunday Nite games for Boston,due to the late nite travel and disruption of players schedules... not his problem anymore,but those games are not coveted by players,I would guess.

kba
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Reportedly, MLB is now taking bids for its other TV package -- the games that currently are split among Fox and TBS, including most of the post-season.

Fox wants the whole package and would split the games between the Fox broadcast network and the Speed motor racing channel (which would become a general all-sports channel). TBS's bid would split the games between TBS and CBS. NBC apparently is an underdog, but might submit a bid.

According to this writer (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/03/Media/MLB-ESPN.aspx), MLB is looking for $800 million a year for the package -- double what Fox and TBS pay now.

Viva Medias B's
09-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Reportedly, MLB is now taking bids for its other TV package -- the games that currently are split among Fox and TBS, including most of the post-season.

Fox wants the whole package and would split the games between the Fox broadcast network and the Speed motor racing channel (which would become a general all-sports channel). TBS's bid would split the games between TBS and CBS. NBC apparently is an underdog, but might submit a bid.

According to this writer (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/03/Media/MLB-ESPN.aspx), MLB is looking for $800 million a year for the package -- double what Fox and TBS pay now.

How does NBC expect NBC Sports Network to prosper if it makes no serious effort to get MLB? Furthermore, I think NBC Sports itself would be better served showing MLB on Saturday afternoons instead of the Dew Mountain Tour.

TDog
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
I read this post before looking at the username, but after reading this sentiment I just knew it had to be you. ...

Sunday is with very few exceptions a getaway day for at least one team in every game. Sunday afternoon baseball is more accessible than Sunday night, on television and in person, to many more people than Sunday night baseball, particularly for younger fans. All the industry stuff I have read indicates that fans have never really treated Sunday night baseball like the event ESPN invented it to be.

I hate it when my team plays on Sunday nights. If I still lived in the Chicago area and had a Sunday ticket plan as I did in the 1970s, it would upset me if one of my games was moved to Sunday night. I probably watch more non-White Sox baseball than most people here, but the only time I ever watch regular-season Sunday night baseball is when the White Sox are playing. Early in the season and when you get into September or October (or San Francisco) it seems ridiculous to play Sunday night baseball when the weather is so much better during the day.

If Sunday night baseball just ignored the White Sox, I could ignore it and wouldn't have a problem with it.

Hitmen77
09-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Ugh. I hope that doesn't happen. Speed is only available with an extra sports package on my system. I would guess that it's generally less available than even the NBC Sports Channel.

Why is TBS's bid tied to CBS?

Lip Man 1
09-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Something in Sports Illustrated this week got my attention. According to S.I. if the other TV rights properties get a fee increase comparable to what happened with the ESPN part of the deal, EVERY team in MLB will see their part of the national TV money go up from 25.5 million to 49.6 million.

That starts in 2014. That's an increase of 24.1 million per team.

Just something to keep in mind when a team starts 'talking poor...'

Lip

SephClone89
09-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Something in Sports Illustrated this week got my attention. According to S.I. if the other TV rights properties get a fee increase comparable to what happened with the ESPN part of the deal, EVERY team in MLB will see their part of the national TV money go up from 25.5 million to 49.6 million.

That starts in 2014. That's an increase of 24.1 million per team.

Just something to keep in mind when a team starts 'talking poor...'

Lip

Your point? If everyone gets the same increase, what difference does it make?

RadioheadRocks
09-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Just keep Boomer out of the booth.

PKalltheway
09-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Looks like Fox and Turner are close to renewing their deals with MLB through 2021: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2012/09/19/MLB-TV.aspx

I think TBS has been pretty solid with their postseason coverage. Sucks that it looks like we're stuck with Joe Buck for the next eight years with Fox, though.