PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's Saturday Comments....

Paulwny
08-27-2012, 01:20 PM
about umpire Lance Barrett.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-26/sports/ct-spt-0827-ventura-hawk-white-sox--20120827_1_manager-robin-ventura-mark-wegner-umpires

hawkjt
08-27-2012, 01:25 PM
If they listen to the broadcast,they will not do anything to Hawk. He was not out of control,and the criticism was clearly warranted.

pythons007
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Didn't see the game. What exactly happened?

aryzner
08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Didn't see the game. What exactly happened?

This:

Warning before you watch it: you can hear with incredible clarity the profanity that AJ uses towards the umpire once he gets tossed.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24211233&c_id=cws

PaleHoser
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Quick web search (http://deadspin.com/5904354/better-know-an-umpire-lance-barrett) shows that he ran Coop for arguing balls and strikes in April.

I missed the game Saturday, so I don't know how bad it was leading up to the ejections.

My only comment is that I think it's pretty bush to toss two people, turn your back, walk away and let the crew chief clean up the mess.

I know he's a young umpire, but arguments come with the territory. If he can't handle confrontation, he'd better find a new line of work.

MarySwiss
08-27-2012, 05:54 PM
This:

Warning before you watch it: you can hear with incredible clarity the profanity that AJ uses towards the umpire once he gets tossed.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=24211233&c_id=cws

After watching this again, I think Joyce should get fined for bumping Robin! :angry:

EdHerman12
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Listen I agree with what Hawk said...and we all know he's a fan first then announcer...Joyce was a joke. I was watching the broadcast and he was barking at AJ while AJ was in his crouch and wasn't looking back..With taht said..wasn't Hawk on probation for being critical of Umpires on-air after the incident in Tampa Bay which also was a joke The Hawk wasn't as bad but still fairly critical in a way that old Buddy Boy Selig doesn't want to hear and I think it's due to the fact that games go out to the whole country now via Extra Innings, and on-line feeds....I'm concerned that we may seeing the last days of Ken Harrelson broadcasting for teh Chicago White Sox and I hope I'm wrong because I'd rather hear the truth than some sugar coated crappola that other people in the broadcast industry try and feed the public..

GO WHITE SOX!

LoveYourSuit
08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Wasn't Joyce the same ass bag that cost Gallaraga the perfect game?

You would figure this guy would lay low for the rest of his careet a not be a complete jerk.

The two incidents with Robin and then with Wise were a disgrace.

Joe West, you have competition now with this clown.

mzh
08-27-2012, 06:46 PM

You would figure this guy would lay low for the rest of his careet a not be a complete jerk.

I said this in the game thread a few days ago, but this is as far from the truth as possible. The two incidents were totally out of line, but Joyce is one of the most widely respected umpires in Major League Baseball, and IIRC was actually named the best umpire in baseball in a players poll a couple years ago.

I'm not sure what was going on with the Wise thing the other day, but it seemed to me that Joyce was sticking up for a younger and less experienced member of his crew. That's not excusing it in any way, but there are still far worse umps out there.

Parrothead
08-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Warranted or not can be debated til the cows come home...Bottom line the Hawk is still an asshat. And I can't wait til he leaves the booth.

CHISOXFAN13
08-27-2012, 07:17 PM

He is. He also just saved a woman's life administering CPR in the tunnel last week at Chase Field. So he's clearly not a complete jerk, despite having a tough weekend.

It was also Joyce who called for Bossard and the grounds crew to address the field for six minutes before Flowers' home run. So maybe he wasn't such an "ass clown."

Not even in the same time zone as West.

Sox
08-27-2012, 08:00 PM
Warranted or not can be debated til the cows come home...Bottom line the Hawk is still an asshat. And I can't wait til he leaves the booth.

:therapy:

EdHerman12
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what certain people have against Ken Harrelson...be glad the guy has such passion for our team...

Lip Man 1
08-28-2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-do-hawks-rants-on-umps-hurt-sox-20120828,0,2912312.column

Lip

Red Barchetta
08-28-2012, 12:26 PM

I think Jim Joyce is a stand up guy for admitting that he blew the perfect game and apologizing.

As for Saturday, he was the crew chief and just doing his job and defending his home plate umpire. I think Joyce got angry after Robin would not leave the field once he had intervened. Robin wasn't done and still had some choice words for home plate umpire Lance Barrett. Both Joyce and Ventura seemed to have calmed down after they moved away from Barrett.

In Hawk's defence, Lance Barrett was aweful. He had two different strike zones and absolutely took the bat out of Adam Dunn's hand the previous inning.

Bucky F. Dent
08-28-2012, 12:46 PM
I think Hawk was justified in his criticism of the home plate umpire. His strike zone was crap up until those ejections. It is kind of funny how his strike zone tightened up after that.

With regard to Joyce; I give him a great deal of credit for facing the music with the media and admitting he blew the call after the Galaraga no-hitter.

I don't know of a single other umpire in the league who has ever admitted his error, most certainly not Joe West.