PDA

View Full Version : Why does all of this surprise anyone?

chisoxt
07-27-2002, 07:04 AM
Let me preface with what I am about to say with the statement that I truly respect most of those who comment on this board. The baseball knowledge that is evident here is second to none, especially whem you compare it to the inane gabage that you read on the Cubs' message board.

But having said this, I am somewhat puzzled that so many here had such rosey preseason expectations of this ill-conceived pile of garbage. Go back to the survey that the board had at the beginning of the season and so many predicted that the Sox would at least win the division, and, gulp, some even had them winning the Series???

Well, as much as I can tell, these are some of the "Rules of Baseball Success" that so many of us ignored at that time:

Rule 1. Good pitching and defense wins. Bad pitching and defense loses. Sorry, but regardless of how much the game has become more offensive-oriented, this basic fundamental rule still holds true.

Rule 2. Good pitching always trumps good hitting

Rule 3. Pitchers coming off injuries and surgeries DO NOT PITCH BETTER THE FOLLOWING YEAR. (The same can be said for star position players coming off of season-ending injuries - they are not going to going to need some time to get their game back)

Rule 4. It always takes longer for young pitchers to come into their own. If you are going to depend on young pitching to suceed, you better have the best coaching, scouting and instructional talent to bring them along.

Rule 5. In todays game, the formula for creating a winning organization begins with the development of a sound farm system with good scouts and instructional staff. Once that is accomplished and the team develops a sound core of talent of pitchers and position players, it is then necessary to add to the mix with key FREE AGENT acquisitions. They do not necessarily have to be expensive ones, just the right ones.

Rule 6. You must spend $ to win on a consistent basis

Rule 7. When you mortgage the future by trading prospects, you will pay the ultimate price.

So how amny of these rules are the Sox guilty of violating?

It kills me to see the disamntling of this team. With the idiot that we have as GM, I see no hope for the future as our farm system is in shambles, and it is obvious that he is not smart enough to get anything of value in a trade.

duke of dorwood
07-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Dont surprise me-our team gets purged every 5-10 years-with little to show for it. The bad thing about this one, Williams is in charge. That means NOTHING to show for it,

:KW

Just call me Bob the Re-Builder

kermittheefrog
07-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Okay but you asked for this!

Originally posted by chisoxt
Rule 1. Good pitching and defense wins. Bad pitching and defense loses. Sorry, but regardless of how much the game has become more offensive-oriented, this basic fundamental rule still holds true.

Rule 2. Good pitching always trumps good hitting

Do you have any proof of this? How is this some sort of baseball fact that supposed everyone knows? Hey I've got an idea. Maybe it takes good hitting and good defense (pitching included) to be a winning team? It's one thing to go on an on about that cliched nonsense but it's completely different to call it an undying truth of baseball.

Rule 6. You must spend $ to win on a consistent basis

I'm taking this to mean you must spend $$$ on the level of the Red Sox, Yankees, Braves, etc. since it's obvious every team has to spend SOME money. Have you ever heard of the Oakland A's? Ya know that team with a payroll in the bottom third that has been a contender since 1998 or so?

Rule 7. When you mortgage the future by trading prospects, you will pay the ultimate price.

When you trade away prospects you are only mortgaging the future when you get losers like Todd Ritchie back. When you trade a package of prospects you should be getting a star or close to it.

At least you are correct in naming Kenny an idiot who has dismantled a good team with lots of potential. Why can't we just fire him now?