PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-26 August showers bring rain delayed HR Flowers; SOX 4 SEA 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Game called due to rain.

bunkaroo
08-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Glad I made the right call to leave at 6pm when the tarp came back out. Another great comeback!

34rancher
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Sweet, I just left the tv after watching gas money. Keeping the streak alive. Tyflo with the timing you gotta love.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
This team has big brass balls.

billyvsox
Stupid question, but do the singles by Olmedo and Wise count on the stat sheet or does Flowers HR go down as a walk off!!!

Baseball has been known to have stupid stat rules

LITTLE NELL
This has to be our year, meanwhile Wedge and the Mariners are going to have nightmares over this weekend in Chicago, oh well.

MISoxfan
08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
Seattle fans must hate us

34rancher
08-26-2012, 08:33 PM

Tiger fans must hate us. Didn't they protest a rain game they lost this year?

kittle42
08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Makes up for dropping those three to KC. Great homestand.

36 games left. Anything over .500 might actually do it depending on the Tigers.

voodoochile
08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
I couldn't watch, but got home in time to sit through the last hour of delay. You gotta savor wins like this one. This team doesn't know how to quit and seems to have some decent luck too. Nice not to lose a game in the standings or in the schedule.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Johnny Mostil
08-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Stupid question, but do the singles by Olmedo and Wise count on the stat sheet or does Flowers HR go down as a walk off!!!

Baseball has been known to have stupid stat rules

I'm nearly certain they count. At least the hits are appearing in the MLB box (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_08_26_seamlb_chamlb_1&mode=box).

Adding: if the Sox scored, say, three more runs, then had the rain delay before the end of the inning, those runs would have counted as well, even though the Sox "won" the game on the Flowers HR.

guillensdisciple
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
The next two weeks will go a long way in determining where we stand. Let's enjoy this lead but be ready for a tough couple of weeks.

tstrike2000
08-26-2012, 08:36 PM
The Sox have guts and balls.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Makes up for dropping those three to KC. Great homestand.

36 games left. Anything over .500 might actually do it depending on the Tigers.

It depends on what we do head to head with Detroit. We need to start winning games with them.

MISoxfan
08-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Tiger fans must hate us. Didn't they protest a rain game they lost this year?

At least in that case the feeling is mutual. Not that I really care for the Ms either.

CoopaLoop
Team of Destiny.

amsteel
How much of this waiting was Jim Joyce not trying to screw the Tigers...again?

Brian26
08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
[/B][/I]

It depends on what we do head to head with Detroit. We need to start winnings games with them.

Because the Sox have done well of late, those games against Detroit are less meaningful. The Sox are putting pressure on the Tigers to have to sweep those last seven games or go 6-1. If the Sox go 3-4 or 4-3, they're in the driver's seat.

SCCWS
08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Jones getting out of 1st and 3rd in 7th is big now.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2012, 08:46 PM
He did a great job.

harwar
08-26-2012, 08:46 PM

i don't know about Seattle fans, but i did hear the Mariners broadcast crew friday night, talking about how they are a bit gun shy, as something bad always seems to happen in the late innings every time they come to Chicago ..

SBSoxFan
08-26-2012, 08:47 PM

More likely it was because this is Seattle's last trip to Chicago this year, so they wanted to wait as long as possible before calling the game.

Jones now 7-0. Three 1-run victories against Seattle and a 6-0 home stand. :gulp::bandance:

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Because the Sox have done well of late, those games against Detroit are less meaningful. The Sox are putting pressure on the Tigers to have to sweep those last seven games or go 6-1. If the Sox go 3-4 or 4-3, they're in the driver's seat.

4-3 is fine with me but we can't go into Detroit next week and get swept again.

CoopaLoop
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Sale and Verlander on Sunday night. Oh boy I really want to make a quick road trip

Lip Man 1
08-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Now starts the biggest stretch of the season. Three of the next four series are against teams that have hammered the Sox this year...Baltimore, Detroit and Kansas City. Sox combined record against them: 9-18.

13 games.

Sox need to win seven or at least six and at least one of those has got to come in Detroit.

We'll see.

Lip

anewman35
08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Now starts the biggest stretch of the season. Three of the next four series are against teams that have hammered the Sox this year...Baltimore, Detroit and Kansas City. Sox combined record against them: 9-18.

13 games.

Sox need to win seven or at least six and at least one of those has got to come in Detroit.

We'll see.

Lip

Wins are obviously very important, and it's very ideal that the Sox get some, but let's not freak out if they don't - they don't NEED these wins. Remember 2008 - we NEEDED to win against Minnesota (much later in the season, too) and they swept (and then lost two more against Cleveland). We all know how that worked out. Obviously there was a lot of luck involved there, and (again) wins would be a very very good thing, but people shouldn't freak out if they don't get them (although I know people will).

sox1970
08-26-2012, 09:03 PM
20-9 vs AL West. That'll work.

TDog
08-26-2012, 09:06 PM

I was wondering the same thing. There may be Tigers fans, too, that believe the game should have been called before the home run to even things out.

If Flowers had ended the inning with an out, the game would have ended as a White Sox loss. If he had hit a run scoring double and the delay began with a tie, the game would have been suspended (under old rules it would have been a tie game and would have had to be played over if it had a bearing on the race.

Stuff happens. If you believe in such things, it might appear the Sox are a team of destiny, sweeping a series where they lost a five-run ninth-inning lead one night, erased a 3-0 deficit to win a one-run game in the next and hit a lead-changing home run just before the rains came in the next. The red-hot Mariners weren't so far from leaving goodby to Chicago with brooms.

But, really, the Mariners didn't play well enough to win today, just as they made mistakes leading to the last two losses. They had their chances. But they only scored one in the first when they could have scored more. They allowed an unearned run on a sacrifice fly after two ground balls to the shortstop, They allowed a two-out run to score by misplaying a single into a triple. And they couldn't extend their lead with runners on first and third with none out. Not a good day for Mr. Ryan, who will be seen for years in highlights as the whiney last out of a perfect game.

And you had to know the Sox would win with the Jones inning. He has been a win vulture from the bullpen this year.

As it turns out, the team that swept the White Sox in the 2000 ALDS was swept by the 2012 White Sox (assuming there is no Mariners wild card this year that extends the series). And this was after the Mariners were nice enough to beat the Tigers in five of six.

One more thing about this game. I like the fact that Flowere and Olmedo played big roles in the win when their presence in the starting lineup were questioned in the pregame thread.

SpartanSoxFan
08-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Wins are obviously very important, and it's very ideal that the Sox get some, but let's not freak out if they don't - they don't NEED these wins. Remember 2008 - we NEEDED to win against Minnesota (much later in the season, too) and they swept (and then lost two more against Cleveland). We all know how that worked out. Obviously there was a lot of luck involved there, and (again) wins would be a very very good thing, but people shouldn't freak out if they don't get them (although I know people will).

I think most would agree that LUCK was the key concept in 2008 down the stretch. To me, it came down to a coinflip- a flip that allowed us to host that 163rd game instead of Minnesota, which of course they protested. I honestly feel that if the game was in that wretched Metrodome, we never would have made the playoffs. The Sox need to not even allow luck to be a factor and just play respectable baseball in September. If they play around .500 overall or better, we get in.

SluggerJim
08-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Fact: This team will win the division if they can beat Cle in the last series.
Opinion: Kenny will make a waiver trade for a MOR pitcher.
Fact: Floyd and Humber are both hurt.

Truth: Believe in what you see, this team has the 'magic' like the 2010 Hawks.

(P.S - PM's welcomed and appreciated, replies just as well.)
(P.P.S. - Thank you (insert your name here) for just posting as you do.

This is the only board I ever read and will always do so because it's not full of ****..

SJ

(Note to self - post 8 or 9 ever, read thread again later today or tomorrow.)

TheOldRoman
08-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Because the Sox have done well of late, those games against Detroit are less meaningful. The Sox are putting pressure on the Tigers to have to sweep those last seven games or go 6-1. If the Sox go 3-4 or 4-3, they're in the driver's seat.Ehhh, we're not quite at that point yet. Hell, if the Sox split with Baltimore and the Tigers sweep the crappy Royals again, we will go into the weekend series tied. There's a lot left to play.

guillensdisciple
08-26-2012, 09:24 PM

This is the only board I ever read and will always do so because it's not full of ****..

SJ

I'm confused but yes this team does have some magic.

tstrike2000
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM

13 games.

We'll see.

Lip

The toughest is probably KC. Pressure's on Detroit and I think we can win both series against Detroit and Baltimore.

MetroPD
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
Thankfully it only went 7 so we didn't have watch Reed and Humber come in again.

sox1970
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
The toughest is probably KC. Pressure's on Detroit and I think we can win both series against Detroit and Baltimore.

I'll take a split in Baltimore, and the win on Friday.

As long as I'm not sweating out another sweep in Detroit, I'll be ok with a 3-4 week. Obviously I'd love 5-2 or better, but this week isn't as important for the Sox as it is for the Tigers. Pressure is on them.

Hitmen77
08-26-2012, 09:41 PM

It might depend on how the Sox and Tigers (who play 3 games in KC next) do this week. We're 2.5 up now. If we can to go into Detroit on Friday 3 games up, then the pressure will be on Detroit to sweep us at Comerica. With a 3 game lead, if we can somehow manage to scratch out 1 win (and only 1 win) vs. the Tigers next weekend, then we leave Detroit 2 games up with no more games at Detroit. But, let's beat the O's first and hope the Royals play the Tigers like they play the Sox. If we're up only 1/2 game going into Detroit on Friday, I think the pressure is on the Sox.

IMO, the Sox season will still come down to those 13 games we still have vs. the two teams we can't seem to beat this year: the Tigers and Royals. Our current record between them is 8-15. If the Sox continue that success rate over the upcoming 13 games, we're in big trouble.

Brian26
08-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Ehhh, we're not quite at that point yet. Hell, if the Sox split with Baltimore and the Tigers sweep the crappy Royals again, we will go into the weekend series tied. There's a lot left to play.

No doubt, but I'm making the assumption the Sox and Tigers play similar baseball outside their head-to-head matchups. If either team tanks before the September 10 series at the Cell, the head-to-head of course means far less also.

SluggerJim
08-26-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm confused but yes this team does have some magic.

Where did I confuse you?

SJ

SephClone89
08-26-2012, 09:56 PM

SJ

:scratch:

DumpJerry
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
The Mariners are from Seattle. This probably felt like a home game.

34rancher
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM

While obviously the 7 left with det are huge, but I really want to be up 4+ going into the last 13. Det has a pretty easy last 13.

RadioheadRocks
08-26-2012, 10:19 PM
The Mariners are from Seattle. This probably felt like a home game.

True, but then the retractable roof would have been closed.

SluggerJim
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM

For the sake of clarity, I will tone down my last message and explain

1) The Sox are going to win the division. It will be close, but the last series of the season is against Cleveland (I believe) and they are going to try to play spoilers. Detroit will be right there with us.

2) Kenny will try to make a waiver wire deal for a middle of the road pitcher because Floyd went 2.0, and Humber hasn't been the same since he went on and off the DL.

3) Floyd is obviously hurting, more than dead-arm. Humber was/may still be injured. It's not a crisis of confidence with him, it can be seen in how he delivers the ball.

4) This team has something magical going on. That magic is known as 'belief' Look at the comeback wins which were missing last year (and in 2007, 2009 and 2010)

They believe they will win the division, and that gives a team an incredible advantage.

(hopefully this was more clear than my last post, for which I apologize.)

SJ

Tragg
08-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Yea, but I look at the schedule and "Tampa Bay" keeps glaring at me in big, bold letters to close the season, while the Tigers end with the hapless Twins.
Solid cushion is advisable.

On a side note, let's hear it for Nate Jones. He's been put in a lot of different, and often high-leverage situations as a rookie, and, for the most part, has done excellent work. Santiago has done well too.

mcp5185
08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Where did I confuse you?

SJ

Although I wasn't the original poster who said he was confused, I can tell you what confused me about your post.

This is not a fact, the Sox could sweep Cleveland and still lose the division and even miss out on the wildcard.

I'm assuming a MOR Pitcher means middle of the rotation? I guess KW could look for another starter, but we would more likely receive a back end of the rotation pitcher.

As far as I know Humber is not hurt, it's possible he has an injury affecting him, but that is certainly not a fact. An article on Whitesox.com even mentions Humber could move in to the rotation if Floyd is unable to make his next start. Also Floyd's injury is elbow discomfort, which could be a sign of something more serious. However it could just be elbow discomfort, and Floyd will be ready for his next start.

I do agree that there seems to be some magic, but the 2001 Bears seemed to have 'magic' on their side in the regular season, only to lose their first playoff game.

This seems like a given to me.

I don't understand this at all.

DumpJerry
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
This is only the seventh time in franchise history the Sox have swept a homestand of six of more games.

guillensdisciple
08-26-2012, 10:42 PM
Although I wasn't the original poster who said he was confused, I can tell you what confused me about your post.

This is not a fact, the Sox could sweep Cleveland and still lose the division and even miss out on the wildcard.

I'm assuming a MOR Pitcher means middle of the rotation? I guess KW could look for another starter, but we would more likely receive a back end of the rotation pitcher.

As far as I know Humber is not hurt, it's possible he has an injury affecting him, but that is certainly not a fact. An article on Whitesox.com even mentions Humber could move in to the rotation if Floyd is unable to make his next start. Also Floyd's injury is elbow discomfort, which could be a sign of something more serious. However it could just be elbow discomfort, and Floyd will be ready for his next start.

I do agree that there seems to be some magic, but the 2001 Bears seemed to have 'magic' on their side in the regular season, only to lose their first playoff game.

Ye, that about does it for explaining.

Nothing against you sj, the last part with the PS was too confusing for me so I scratched my head. Everything else I got though

Tragg
08-26-2012, 10:51 PM
For the sake of clarity, I will tone down my last message and explain

1) The Sox are going to win the division. It will be close, but the last series of the season is against Cleveland (I believe) and they are going to try to play spoilers. Detroit will be right there with us.

The last series of the season is 4 games against Tampa Bay.

The Immigrant
08-26-2012, 10:59 PM

That's the last series in September, but the season ends with a 3 game trip to Cleveland in October.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2012, 11:00 PM
The last series of the season is 4 games against Tampa Bay.Psst... check October. We finish up with three in Cleveland.

Tragg
08-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Psst... check October. We finish up with three in Cleveland.

When I was looking at calendar I was telling myself "I remember when the season ended in early October".

Well, I have fond memories of a certain other regular season ending in Cleveland.

SluggerJim
08-26-2012, 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=mcp5185;2978150]Although I wasn't the original poster who said he was confused, I can tell you what confused me about your post.

Yes, they could. Anything could happen. That said, it nearly always comes down to the last few games of the season. Virtually every year with teams in contention. Hence, Cleveland scares me because they have a different sort of 'magic' -- they have nothing to lose.

Middle of the rotation. Correct, In case Humber is truly hurting more than the Sox can admit in public, and Floyd is really and truly hurt and will need a DL stint, we will need to either call up another 3A pitcher or find someone else.

But it also could be that, because of all the other injuries and call-ups they had to bring him back too fast. If that is the case, and again, I say this because like Hockey, Baseball teams and press releases tend to not tell the whole truth.
If they did, other teams would take advantage of that information.

I only follow Hockey and Baseball with any real passion nowadays.

The Bears and football are just a pastime to me. I watch the games, but I really don't care much about the outcome because of so many years of disappointment. 1985 is a distant memory.

And, I thank you, MC5125 for the reply. I, rarely rarely post (here or anywhere for that matter) and becuase I only had 7 posts since 2008, I was afraid to do so in the typical manner. We, as Sox fans have believed over and over and over since 2005, only to watch everything fall apart in front of our eyes.

I wanted to say thank you to every poster on WSI.Because I could not name every name, I just used a single line (insert your name here) and hoped people would 'get it', because this is the only 'smart' Sox message base on the planet. It has literally helped my dad cope with his medical problems since 2008.

(Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, or, of course, post them right here out in the open if you or anyone wish to do so. I know I type online in a very cryptic manner, and once more I apologize for that, it's just how I 'talk' online.)

Best Regards,

SJ

aryzner
08-27-2012, 12:01 AM
I wanted to say thank you to every poster on WSI.Because I could not name every name, I just used a single line (insert your name here) and hoped people would 'get it', because this is the only 'smart' Sox message base on the planet.

(Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, or, of course, post them right here out in the open.)

Best Regards,

SJ
I've looked around the various boards listed in that thread in Talking Baseball and this site is one of the best if not the best on the internet.

It's well-moderated and the mods don't take any stupid crap from people. There's a whole lot of classless comments made on a lot of other boards that fans here are for the most part too good to make, and if we do get someone who does something like that, either the post is edited/deleted, and/or the poster is banned. Things are kept civil here one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, though. Every fan base has its bad eggs as well as every fan base has its intelligent, baseball-loving fans.

The point is: this is a fantastic board for talking about baseball.

MUsoxfan
08-27-2012, 12:52 AM
This is only the seventh time in franchise history the Sox have swept a homestand of six of more games.

That's a really cool stat

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
TyfloNo, please no. I'm begging you.

JB98
08-27-2012, 01:28 AM
We left the ballpark about 10 minutes before the game was called. I don't know what took Jim Joyce so long. It was damn obvious there would be no more baseball by around 6:30. We hung around, expecting to hear an announcement at any moment. Finally, enough was enough. It rained like hell out there.

In any case, Nate Jones is the player of the game in my book. Great job pulling the club out of that mess in the top of the seventh inning.

SluggerJim
08-27-2012, 01:33 AM

Oopsie. :) Cleveland is before that series, correct?

(I do not look deeply at the sked. I just follow the team with my heart and soul)

You all know the numbers/stats/game better than I do.

I just read and learn from you all.

Best Regards,

SJ

Tragg
08-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Oopsie. :) Cleveland is before that series, correct?

(I do not look deeply at the sked. I just follow the team with my heart and soul)

You all know the numbers/stats/game better than I do.

I just read and learn from you all.

Best Regards,

SJ
Nope - you were right. Cleveland is before and after.

voodoochile
08-27-2012, 02:05 AM
Sweet, I just left the tv after watching gas money. Keeping the streak alive. Tyflo with the timing you gotta love.
No, please no. I'm begging you.

It sounds like something you'd use to unclog your toilet.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-27-2012, 06:55 AM
It sounds like something you'd use to unclog your toilet.

Or something to help regulate "that time of the month".

"Tyflo. Gives you freedom from cramps and bloating. Use as directed."

October26
08-27-2012, 08:12 AM

Unbelievable...yes, it was a fantastic homestand. I enjoyed watching the games and seeing the Sox come from behind to win. Hopefully, the Sox keep on playing well as a team during the upcoming road trip to Baltimore and Detroit. GO SOX!

mcp5185
08-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Yes, they could. Anything could happen. That said, it nearly always comes down to the last few games of the season. Virtually every year with teams in contention. Hence, Cleveland scares me because they have a different sort of 'magic' -- they have nothing to lose.

Agreed that anything can happen, and that it usually comes down to the last few games of the season. Personally I'm not really worried about Cleveland, given how badly they have fallen apart this last month.

Middle of the rotation. Correct, In case Humber is truly hurting more than the Sox can admit in public, and Floyd is really and truly hurt and will need a DL stint, we will need to either call up another 3A pitcher or find someone else.

True, but with roster expansion in a few days they could move Santiago into the rotation, or Humber as long as he's healthy. I suppose Axelrod could be an option as well. I'm not opposed to adding someone through a trade, but I think it's unlikely that person would be much better than a healthy Floyd or Humber.

But it also could be that, because of all the other injuries and call-ups they had to bring him back too fast. If that is the case, and again, I say this because like Hockey, Baseball teams and press releases tend to not tell the whole truth.
If they did, other teams would take advantage of that information.

I agree with everything you said here. There has been a similar discussion in one of the Bear's threads about Urlacher's injury and the lack of information shared with the media.

I only follow Hockey and Baseball with any real passion nowadays.

The Bears and football are just a pastime to me. I watch the games, but I really don't care much about the outcome because of so many years of disappointment. 1985 is a distant memory.

That's cool, I'm not a huge hockey fan, but i do root for the Hawks, and usually like to watch the playoffs.

The main point I was trying to make was 'magic' in the regular season doesn't always lead to postseason success. I'm sure there are fans on other teams message boards who think they too have the 'magic' this year. Oakland has had a ton of walk-off wins this year, and other teams like Washington, Baltimore, and Cincinnati have had impressive years. Only one team gets to win it all.

I'm optimistic, and I want the White Sox to keep the 'magic' up, just trying to be realistic.

And, I thank you, MC5125 for the reply. I, rarely rarely post (here or anywhere for that matter) and becuase I only had 7 posts since 2008, I was afraid to do so in the typical manner. We, as Sox fans have believed over and over and over since 2005, only to watch everything fall apart in front of our eyes.

I wanted to say thank you to every poster on WSI.Because I could not name every name, I just used a single line (insert your name here) and hoped people would 'get it', because this is the only 'smart' Sox message base on the planet. It has literally helped my dad cope with his medical problems since 2008.

(Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, or, of course, post them right here out in the open if you or anyone wish to do so. I know I type online in a very cryptic manner, and once more I apologize for that, it's just how I 'talk' online.)

Best Regards,

SJ

No need to apologize for your post, I was just trying to clear some things up. I too don't post that often, with only 240 or so posts in eight years, but I agree that this is a great board to read.

Thanks for clearing up the "insert name here" thing. Makes sense to me now. I'm also glad that WSI has been there to help your Dad cope.

Jerko
08-27-2012, 09:26 AM
A girl at the game must have gotten drunk/bored as she decided to kick over the container of balls at the "guess the number of balls and win season tickets" stand. What was even worse were the rest of the idiots on the concourse who must have thought that meant "go grab as many balls as you can and run off with them because they're free". Now I see why they cut the beer off at 4:15. Other than that, the win made it a worthwhile day at the ole ball park.

GlassSox
08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
We left the ballpark about 10 minutes before the game was called. I don't know what took Jim Joyce so long. It was damn obvious there would be no more baseball by around 6:30. We hung around, expecting to hear an announcement at any moment. Finally, enough was enough. It rained like hell out there.

In any case, Nate Jones is the player of the game in my book. Great job pulling the club out of that mess in the top of the seventh inning.

We left about 6:30 wondering why the game was still "delayed".

Olmedo's glove was pretty good too.

ChiSoxGirl
08-27-2012, 10:48 AM

With the way it rained out there yesterday, it's amazing we stayed as dry as we did! The rain stopped just long enough for us to walk from the red line and get into the ballpark; it started again when we were on the escalator going up to the concourse. The wettest we got all day was on our walk from the ballpark to the red line and even that wasn't horrible. God bless the overhang in the upper deck.

GlassSox
08-27-2012, 11:16 AM
With the way it rained out there yesterday, it's amazing we stayed as dry as we did! The rain stopped just long enough for us to walk from the red line and get into the ballpark; it started again when we were on the escalator going up to the concourse. The wettest we got all day was on our walk from the ballpark to the red line and even that wasn't horrible. God bless the overhang in the upper deck.

We moved up to row 12 and stayed nice and dry.

TaylorStSox
08-27-2012, 11:19 AM
I don't know about Tyflo, but he does have TFlo tattooed on his arm and his teammates call him "Flo." It might be something we have to live with.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2012, 11:36 AM
We left about 6:30 wondering why the game was still "delayed".

Olmedo's glove was pretty good too.I understand Wedge's complaint, and I would be furious if the Sox lost a game under those circumstances. The conditions were bad, but even though they had to delay the game to throw down diamond dry, they kept playing. Then as soon as the Sox took the lead, they called the game. If they stopped the game instead of having the grounds crew put down dirt, the Sox lose. If Millwood would have gotten Flowers out instead of asking for diamond dry, the Sox would have lost. The Mariners were rightfully pissed, but them's the breaks.

The Cubs had a game at the urinal which they called about two hours earlier. The difference is, it was 5-0 and it had no playoff implications. With the playoff implications and the way the Sox took the lead at the last second, they wanted to wait around as long as possible to at very least give the Mariners another chance to bat. I don't think the fact that the Tigers were on the other end of such circumstances a few weeks back played into the decision, but double LOL @ the Tigers still the same.

Jerko
08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't feel sorry for Wedge; if he was the home team and the umps did the same thing he'd be saying it was fair. And why would the Mariners think they should get another chance to bat? They had their 7 licks. What do they want, 8 chances to 7? The weather was the same for both teams

jdm2662
08-27-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't feel sorry for Wedge; if he was the home team and the umps did the same thing he'd be saying it was fair. And why would the Mariners think they should get another chance to bat? They had their 7 licks. What do they want, 8 chances to 7? The weather was the same for both teams

Yet, if the roles would be reversed, this board would be fuming, and guys like Hawk would be calling a consipracy against the Sox, etc. They re-did the entire field just so three guys could bat. It's almost debatable that they should've even started the 7th inning. I also said they better score because I had a feeling the game was going to be called soon. Of course, if Milwood doesn't hang the curve ball to Flowers, the Sox lose anyway...

But, since the Sox are in first place, MLB was going to push them to get the game in as best as they could. The Cubs game had no playoff implications, and the Cubs pretty much put the game away, anyway.,

TheOldRoman
08-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I don't feel sorry for Wedge; if he was the home team and the umps did the same thing he'd be saying it was fair. And why would the Mariners think they should get another chance to bat? They had their 7 licks. What do they want, 8 chances to 7? The weather was the same for both teamsI understand that. But it was raining the entire time during the bottom of the 7th. So much so that Millwood asked them to clean up the field if they were going to keep playing. I'm not implying the rain caused him to give up a homer, by the way. Then, minutes after the Sox took the lead, the rain presumably picked up and they had to delay the game.

I don't feel sorry for the Mariners at all, but I empathize with them that *maybe* the game should have been stopped minutes earlier, which would have given them a win. I don't think they would have waited around nearly as long had the Sox been up going into the bottom of the 7th. They probably would have delayed the game at the point when Millwood called the groundscrew out. They didn't do it then because the last thing the umps want to do is stop a game in the middle of a rally.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Yet, if the roles would be reversed, this board would be fuming, and guys like Hawk would be calling a consipracy against the Sox, etc. They re-did the entire field just so three guys could bat. It's almost debatable that they should've even started the 7th inning. I also said they better score because I had a feeling the game was going to be called soon. Of course, if Milwood doesn't hang the curve ball to Flowers, the Sox lose anyway...

But, since the Sox are in first place, MLB was going to push them to get the game in as best as they could. The Cubs game had no playoff implications, and the Cubs pretty much put the game away, anyway.,You keep chasing those windmills.:rolleyes: I would have been mad that the Sox lost under those circumstances (giving up the lead at the end), but nobody including Hawk would have called it a conspiracy. The questionable part comes because the Sox took the lead at a point when they arguably should not have been playing. If the bottom of the seventh was dry, but the skies opened up between innings, there would have been no complaints from anybody. I agree that they arguably shouldn't have started the seventh inning and that MLB didn't want to be in a position to give the Sox a loss like that in a playoff race, but the way the game went down had to have left a bad taste with the Mariners and the Tigers. However, the Mariners are out of the playoff race and LOL at the Tigers, so no big deal.

guillensdisciple
08-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I'll agree with the sentiment that the rain out call was fair. The mariners got 7 innings to hit and the sox were the home team. We deserved the 7th inning to bat as well and we got it. So, just like any other baseball game, we played it fair. As a matter of fact, it would have been bull if we never got to bat at the bottom of the seventh. In pure baseball terms it is fair, in terms of how the mariners feel that it was called when they lost the lead, well, it sucks for them.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2012, 12:23 PM
JB:

Joyce and his crew didn't have the best of series did they?

LOL.

What got me though was Joyce twice going after Wise in the game after he argued with the home plate umpire. Joyce was escalating the situation, he was looking for trouble.

We'll see what Torre does out of all that happened this weekend.

Lip

jdm2662
08-27-2012, 12:24 PM
You keep chasing those windmills.:rolleyes: I would have been mad that the Sox lost under those circumstances (giving up the lead at the end), but nobody including Hawk would have called it a conspiracy. The questionable part comes because the Sox took the lead at a point when they arguably should not have been playing. If the bottom of the seventh was dry, but the skies opened up between innings, there would have been no complaints from anybody. I agree that they arguably shouldn't have started the seventh inning and that MLB didn't want to be in a position to give the Sox a loss like that in a playoff race, but the way the game went down had to have left a bad taste with the Mariners and the Tigers. However, the Mariners are out of the playoff race and LOL at the Tigers, so no big deal.

That's my point. If the Sox had the lead, on the road, and that happened, don't tell me there wouldn't be a stink about it. This is especially since the Sox had issues with this crew (and I would agree Sat's strike zone was pretty crappy).

Now, if they would've stopped the game at the end of the 6th, there wouldn't had been a huge fuss. Most people would agree the 7th probably shouldn't had been played. But, MLB really pushes these games to get completed if there are playoff implications. Hell, the weather was crappy all day long. One has to wonder if SEA came back later in the year, they would've even bothered.

Jerko
08-27-2012, 12:30 PM

But, since the Sox are in first place, MLB was going to push them to get the game in as best as they could. The Cubs game had no playoff implications, and the Cubs pretty much put the game away, anyway.,

True.

kittle42
08-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Yet, if the roles would be reversed, this board would be fuming, and guys like Hawk would be calling a consipracy against the Sox, etc.

SOOOOO true.

vinny
08-27-2012, 12:31 PM

We moved up to row 12 and stayed nice and dry.
Our seats were row 11 in section 546, which is right under the overhang, but the wind was blowing the rain in anyway. We moved up to around row 18 or so and it was fine, minus some mist on our knees on occasion. During the drier time (3rd-5th innings) a couple of us grabbed some paper towels and moved down to row 2.

Jerko
08-27-2012, 12:37 PM
I still think they could have started at 1:10 yesterday seeing the crap they played through anyway. Oh well, what's done is done.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
That's my point. If the Sox had the lead, on the road, and that happened, don't tell me there wouldn't be a stink about it. This is especially since the Sox had issues with this crew (and I would agree Sat's strike zone was pretty crappy).

Now, if they would've stopped the game at the end of the 6th, there wouldn't had been a huge fuss. Most people would agree the 7th probably shouldn't had been played. But, MLB really pushes these games to get completed if there are playoff implications. Hell, the weather was crappy all day long. One has to wonder if SEA came back later in the year, they would've even bothered.A stink? Sure. People would have definitely been pissed about the situation, but that doesn't mean Hawk or others would be calling it a conspiracy. I would be pissed that the Sox were forced to take the field in the seventh, but I would understand that they did so because the umps wanted to get in a game and didn't want to cost a playoff team a possible win due to their decision. Detroit put in an official protest when their game was called a loss a few weeks back. It doesn't mean anything would come from it. People would be pissed, but pretty much everyone would see that it was a combination of bad luck, bad timing for giving up runs, and the umps letting a game go too long in the interest of fairness.

TDog
08-27-2012, 01:11 PM
... One has to wonder if SEA came back later in the year, they would've even bothered.

Most out-of-division teams make just one trip, and most teams are out-of- division. Next year, as I understand it, teams will have only one trip to each out-of-division city. If you were dealing with the Twins or even the Tigers, the game likely would have been postponed in favor of a future doubleheader. But once you hit August, for that matter, after the All-Star break, you are probably the common off-days dwindle, you are going to get that Sunday game in against Seattle. You don't want it to be something to make up at the end of the season if it has a bearing on the race. See 2008 where the Sox played 162 after everyone was done and had to play 163 before the postseason started. Layer that onto the play-in wild card and the possibility with at least two teams having the second best record, and you can see that 2008 scenario having the potential for huge problems.

I went to a Sunday night game in Chicago about a decade ago. I forgot the year, but Garcia was pitching for the Mariners. I believe they put an end to the game (or at least put it into terminal delay) after the Sox finished the fifth. I don't remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1. It was upsetting. But this Sunday made up for it.

JB98
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
JB:

Joyce and his crew didn't have the best of series did they?

LOL.

What got me though was Joyce twice going after Wise in the game after he argued with the home plate umpire. Joyce was escalating the situation, he was looking for trouble.

We'll see what Torre does out of all that happened this weekend.

Lip

No, Lip, they did not have a good series. I was furious with the way Joyce treated Wise. Sitting in the upper deck behind the plate, I saw exactly what happened. Wise was called out on a bad pitch. He dropped his bat and helmet in disgust and started walking toward CF. His helmet rolled into the general vicinity of the home plate umpire's foot, and the ump started barking at Wise. Dewayne's back was turned at the time, and I think he was just going to head back out to his position until the ump started yelling at him. Then, he turned around and resumed arguing. That whole incident didn't need to happen. The umpires instigated it.

jdm2662
08-27-2012, 01:17 PM
I went to a Sunday night game in Chicago about a decade ago. I forgot the year, but Garcia was pitching for the Mariners. I believe they put an end to the game (or at least put it into terminal delay) after the Sox finished the fifth. I don't remember if it was 5-0 or 5-1. It was upsetting. But this Sunday made up for it.

It was Easter Sunday 2006. The Sox were up 6-0 after four innings. The game should've been stopped after that, but only a half inning needed to be played to make it offical. The Blue Jays then scored four runs partly due to unplayable field. But, Garica struck out the last guy for the third out. The game was called an hour later with the Sox leading 6-4.

sox1970
08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
It was Easter Sunday 2006. The Sox were up 6-0 after four innings. The game should've been stopped after that, but only a half inning needed to be played to make it offical. The Blue Jays then scored four runs partly due to unplayable field. But, Garica struck out the last guy for the third out. The game was called an hour later with the Sox leading 6-4.

I was at that one too. The infield was a lake, and they were just trying to get 5 innings in. Iguchi made an error, and Freddy was so pissed at him.

hawkjt
08-27-2012, 01:30 PM
No, Lip, they did not have a good series. I was furious with the way Joyce treated Wise. Sitting in the upper deck behind the plate, I saw exactly what happened. Wise was called out on a bad pitch. He dropped his bat and helmet in disgust and started walking toward CF. His helmet rolled into the general vicinity of the home plate umpire's foot, and the ump started barking at Wise. Dewayne's back was turned at the time, and I think he was just going to head back out to his position until the ump started yelling at him. Then, he turned around and resumed arguing. That whole incident didn't need to happen. The umpires instigated it.

Joyce got out of control this series. This brushup with DWise was worse than saturdays dance with Robin....What the heck is doing?

This was basically almost a miracle win for the Sox. Tyler Flowers was the only guy that really hit the ball well all day,at the perfect time. Sox caught a big break with the whole weather deal,and I am not afraid to admit it....so it goes:smile:

Love that they did not have to use Addison or any other relievers beyond Nate Jones and Hector yesterday,with 10 straight games coming up.

Now, time to confront that O's jinx....this is gonna be a brutal series,you just know it. Weather could impede,but Sox must get the series in,so this could get complicated.

vinny
08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
A girl at the game must have gotten drunk/bored as she decided to kick over the container of balls at the "guess the number of balls and win season tickets" stand. What was even worse were the rest of the idiots on the concourse who must have thought that meant "go grab as many balls as you can and run off with them because they're free". Now I see why they cut the beer off at 4:15. Other than that, the win made it a worthwhile day at the ole ball park.

As we were leaving there was a big ruckus by the women's restroom on the 100 concourse near the Gate 6 ramp involving a half dozen security guys or so. We didn't stick around to see the rest of the show though.

vinny
08-27-2012, 02:05 PM
I saw that whole episode too. I was afraid it might have been too late for Wise by the time Robin came out to pull him out of the way. Ridiculous.

TDog
08-27-2012, 02:22 PM

This game (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200305040.shtml) in early 2003 was just the opposite. Actually, Gil Meche started that night for the Mariners against Bartolo Colon for the Sox. Garcia pitched the night before for the Mariners with the Sox losing 12-2. I thought the Sox were coming back in the fifth, but with one out and runners on second and third, Miguel Olivo drove in Konerko on a groundout for the only Sox run. I waited out the long delay.

Not a good weekend to drive down from Wisconsin to see a couple of Sox games. If the Sox had the Indians Colon or the later juiced Colon, they might have won it that year.