PDA

View Full Version : Catching Dilemma

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2012, 06:52 PM
With AJ having his best year ever but with "Babe Flowers" coming on like gangbusters what will the Sox do after the season, let AJ walk and give the job to Flowers or re-sign AJ.

kittle42
08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Tyler Flowers is not coming on like gangbusters just because he hit two homers in two days. He's not a great hitter and is OK behind the plate.

The question is re-sign AJ at what will be a contract as inflated as his numbers are this year, or go get another starting catcher.

mzh
08-26-2012, 07:11 PM
AJ is one of Jerry's guys. I would be extremely surprised if he isn't brought back.

SCCWS
08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Tyler Flowers is not coming on like gangbusters just because he hit two homers in two days. He's not a great hitter and is OK behind the plate.

The question is re-sign AJ at what will be a contract as inflated as his numbers are this year, or go get another starting catcher.

I don't get to see a lot of White Sox games but I did see him play in KC last week. That one night, I thought he was very poor behind the plate. Twice on throws to the plate he came out to get the throw instead of taking it on a hop and then was out of position to make a tag. He also fumbled away a throw on a stolen base. May have just been a bad game but I came away w a poor impression.

WhiteSox5187
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM

That's pretty much how I view it too.

AJ is one of Jerry's guys. I would be extremely surprised if he isn't brought back.

We said that about Buehrle too.

canOcorn
08-26-2012, 07:28 PM

Pretty much. Flowers blows and is a passable backup to someone who catches 130 games a year.

I'm guessing AJ gives us a discount on a 2 year deal.

Moses_Scurry
08-26-2012, 07:29 PM

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing that Kenny and Jerry have a number in mind. If AJ won't take it, they'll send him off and look for a cheap alternative.

Brian26
08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
With AJ having his best year ever but with "Babe Flowers" coming on like gangbusters what will the Sox do after the season, let AJ walk and give the job to Flowers or re-sign AJ.

Win the World Series first and then worry about it.

central44
08-26-2012, 07:33 PM

I think we need to see what he can do when he gets to play every day before making any definitive judgements on him.

That said, I want the Sox to keep AJ as long as they can. He's showing no signs of slowing down.

TDog
08-26-2012, 07:34 PM
... We said that about Buehrle too.

Buehrle was offered crazy money, and he was comfortable playing for their new manager, and they appeared to be spending money on other plyaers to compete. It's possible that Pierzynski could be offered crazy money. He looks like someone the Yankees might like to see in their lineup. Still, at Pierzynski's age, I don't see him getting much more than one-year contract offers.

I don't believe Flowers is suited to be a backup catcher, but I believe he could be a pretty good everyday catcher, a better hitter than Karkovice but not as good defnsively. I think he would be a better hitter if he were playing more regularly. I also think he would have a better defensive rhythm. I think he looked better defensively at the beginning of the season after coming out of spring training where he was getting more regular work.

There are backup catchers who don't need to be in the lineup every day to catch a good game and who don't lose much offensively by sitting out four or five days straight, but I don't believe Flowers is one of them.

kittle42
08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
I think we need to see what he can do when he gets to play every day before making any definitive judgements on him.

A lot of guys in baseball get judgments made on them without ever getting a chance to play every day. Not every bench guy is a failed starter. Some guys just aren't good enough in their bench roles to ever warrant starting on a regular basis. Flowers may very well be one of those.

LITTLE NELL
08-26-2012, 07:37 PM

That said, I want the Sox to keep AJ as long as they can. He's showing no signs of slowing down.

How does he get to play everyday if AJ is still here?
AJ will be 37 next year, I would sign him for 1 year with an option year, if AJ balks then I would be comfortable with Tyler behind the plate.

Frater Perdurabo
08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Someone else posted that the Sox catching tandem has been responsible for the second most HRs of any position on the team. Flowers has the second-highest OPS v. LHP on the team (1.016) and AJ has the second-highest OPS v. RHP on the team (.926). Although it is not a platoon situation, it seems like they would be the perfect platoon partners as AJ ages.

Therefore, bring back AJ on a two year deal with a team option for a third year. As time passes, give AJ more games off and Flowers more starts v. LHP.

EDIT: I realize that catcher is not an offense-first position. However, defense at catcher has not been a problem this year. Sure, it could always be better. But I haven't seen poor defense at the position cost us any games. In addition, the excellent offensive production as this "defense-first" position allows the Sox the luxury of starting Beckham at second base, and we all know that our defense up the middle has prevented many runs and allowed our pitchers to throw deeper into games.

Brian26
08-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm curious who calls pitches when Flowers is behind the plate. Are the pitch calls coming from the dugout or is Flowers on this own?

Santiago threw a changeup for a homer today to a guy with a slow bat.

SCCWS
08-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm curious who calls pitches when Flowers is behind the plate. Are the pitch calls coming from the dugout or is Flowers on this own?

It seems to me that AJ is always looking back to the bench. I think he is having pitches called from the bench, so I am sure Flowers is.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
5187:

Do you really think someone is going to offer the type of money Miami did for Buehrle (adjusted for the fact that he's a postion player)?

I highly doubt it.

The question the Sox have to ask is how much and how long of a deal are they willing to give him? I suspect the market isn't going to be that stout for a 37 year old player with the milage he has on him (unless he's willing to maybe move to the DH slot...)

I'm guessing here but I think he'd take a two year offer from the Sox.

Just one of a boatload of questions Kenny is going to have to figure out this off season.

Lip

CoopaLoop
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Flowers wins the game today and all of a sudden WE HAVE A CATCHING CONTROVERSY!!!!!!!

http://1.media.todaysbigthing.cvcdn.com/60/34/ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

kittle42
08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
The question the Sox have to ask is how much and how long of a deal are they willing to give him? I suspect the market isn't going to be that stout for a 37 year old player with the milage he has on him (unless he's willing to maybe move to the DH slot...)

Coming off a career offensive year, a contender with a hole at catcher could overpay. His career norms are probably too light to profile well at DH.

MISoxfan
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Agreed that he doesn't have the bat for a DH. This year aside, his numbers are fine for a catcher, but I don't think there is much of a market for a DH who can hit .285 with 15 hrs.

Lamp81
08-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Remember when we were told Josh Fields and then Brent Morel were ready to take over 3rd? I've got that same feeling about Flowers.

So we need to come up with a 2 year number that both AJ and KW can agree on.

TaylorStSox
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM

They both call their own games I think. Flowers seems to call for more breaking balls early in the count where as AJ is more traditional. He likes to let pitchers get ahead with the fastball and use breaking balls for wipe out pitches.

Flowers is pretty damn good defensively despite his reputation and I prefer the way he calls a game.

AJ's kind of like PK in that I keep waiting for the clock to run out and he keeps going. At 37 though, he's best in a platoon.

Daver
08-26-2012, 10:51 PM
They both call their own games I think.

There hasn't been a White Sox catcher that called a game since Fisk retired.

TaylorStSox
08-26-2012, 11:25 PM
There hasn't been a White Sox catcher that called a game since Fisk retired.

I know we've had this discussion about past catchers. Are you saying they don't call their own pitches? There was an article this week complimenting AJ's pitch selection. Sale said he's never shaken AJ off.

johnnyg83
08-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd offer AJ a 2-year deal front loaded. He'd be a great backup in year two if Flowers develops. And he can DH and pinch hit if he's not starting.

He's the best Sox catcher since Fisk. Let's do what we can to keep him. He brings a lot of intangibles.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2012, 11:45 PM
I'd offer AJ a 2-year deal front loaded. He'd be a great backup in year two if Flowers develops. And he can DH and pinch hit if he's not starting.

He's the best Sox catcher since Fisk. Let's do what we can to keep him. He brings a lot of intangibles.It's risky to DH your backup catcher, and Dunn will still be here year after next.

Daver
08-27-2012, 12:00 AM
I know we've had this discussion about past catchers. Are you saying they don't call their own pitches? There was an article this week complimenting AJ's pitch selection. Sale said he's never shaken AJ off.

Calling pitches and calling a game are two completely different things.

Daver
08-27-2012, 12:04 AM
It's risky to DH your backup catcher, and Dunn will still be here year after next.

Yesterday's game is a prime example of that, your catcher gets tossed out of the game early and your backup catcher is DHing means you have the emergency catcher finish the game behind the plate or have the pitcher bat.

JB98
08-27-2012, 01:20 AM
I'm glad Flowers is contributing lately. Big hits the last two days. But the body of work suggests nothing more than a backup player.

The Sox either need to bring Pierzynski back next year, or look outside the organization.

Konerko05
08-27-2012, 04:34 AM
It seems to me that AJ is always looking back to the bench. I think he is having pitches called from the bench, so I am sure Flowers is.

Pierzynski is not calling pitches signaled to him by the coaching staff.

Konerko05
08-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Oh, and I think it is very important for the White Sox to re-sign Pierzynski for two years. Flowers will be great to have around as a backup and insurance policy if Pierzynski needs a platoon partner.

Steelrod
08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
It is more important to finish this year. At this point, there is no problem. Let concern ourselves with next year in November.

Zisk77
08-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Our catchers call their own pitches. They look to the dugout to see if Parent wants a pitch out called or a pick play.

hawkjt
08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
In his first 27 games,thru July 21, Tyler hit .154...basically miserable.

Since AJ went down and Tyler started 7 games in a row starting on July 22, Tyler has hit right at .350 with 17 hits in 49 at bats,with 4 homers,3 doubles,and 8 rbis in 14 games.

I do not think this is a coincidence...when he got regular playing time,he got into a hitting rythmn,and has stayed there.

I would love to re-sign AJ for 2 years,club option for a 3rd,and keep Tyler behind him,with a good righty lefty combo....

Warriorjan
08-27-2012, 12:48 PM
So here is my dream scenario: We win the World Series and AJ ends up with the ball (strikeout or a guy thrown out at the plate)... then at the rally on LaSalle St., he pulls the ball out of his pocket and humbly hands it over to JR. Presto! JR is overwhelmed and makes sure AJ gets re-signed.
Shades of Paul Konerko! AJ, make sure this happens....