PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-25 Beautiful Flowers Revenge; SOX 5 SEAger 4 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Reed was much better tonight.

Quintana seemed to get rattled when he failed to beat the leadoff hitter to first, but he really settled down starting in the second inning.

Good jobs by Jones and Myers in relief.

FielderJones
08-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Sox overcome a crappy strike zone early to win.

guillensdisciple
2.5 up and have 70 wins.

SI should give all sox fan subscribers a year free subscription with every win the Sox get over their prediction.

Win tomorrow and I think we'll come out of this weekend with a 3.5 game lead.

MISoxfan
I was trying to get this post in before the game ended, but then it started to get a bit dicey.

For all of the Greek talk going on in the gamethread, my wife is in Chania right now, and I only just returned from there a few days ago. My wife is Greek and I lived there for a year.

johnnyg83
08-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Phew! Phew! DWise!

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Sox overcome a crappy strike zone early to win.

Honestly, I just saw the replay of when AJ got tossed and it was silly. It's not like he turned around to question the umpire.

RKMeibalane
How much trouble will Hawk be in for his latest (justified) rant?

cheezheadsoxfan
2.5 up and have 70 wins.

SI should give all sox fan subscribers a year free subscription with every win the Sox get over their prediction.

Love it!
:bliss::bliss:

all*star quentin
08-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Another great team Win. :gulp:

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Anyone want to advocate on behalf of the "human element" calling ridiculously inconsistent strike zones that grossly benefit one team over the other?

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Honestly, I just saw the replay of when AJ got tossed and it was silly. It's not like he turned around to question the umpire.

I'm sure there were a few choice words that were heard without AJ having to face the ump.

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM

He better not get into any trouble.

Stone also thought it was BS.

The ump should be fired. Anyone who defends the ump should be flogged.

OmahaSoxFan
08-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Thankful for that insurance run in the bottom of the 8th (Alexei's sac fly to drive in Rios). Great to see Quintana rebound from such a difficult start and actually turn in what turned out to be a half way decent start.

Too bad the Angels couldn't finish off the Tigers, but that doesn't matter that much anyway... important part is that the Sox took care of business and won this one! Good all around team effort after the shaky\rough start.

Also was interesting to see how the home plate umpire actually did a okay job calling balls and strikes the rest of the game, after Robin and AJ went off on him and were ejected.

Brian26
08-25-2012, 09:33 PM

AJ was barking at him for the entire inning. That was just the culmination of the argument.

voodoochile
08-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Now that was a team win. 5 guys scored 1. 5 guys drove in 1. After giving up an early lead the Sox locked the M's down for the next 7 before giving up what turned out to be a meaningless solo shot in the 9th. Reed did look much better. I thought he would from the way he was pacing in the bullpen. The kid wanted the ball and the Mariners badly.

5 in row and 15 games over... Oh... my...

Go get 'em tomorrow, boys...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

CHISOXFAN13
08-25-2012, 09:34 PM

This story is currently one of the headlines on ESPN. What a joke.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8303626/chicago-white-sox-broadcaster-ken-hawk-harrelson-was-critical-home-plate-umpire-lance-barrett

Sox
08-25-2012, 09:34 PM
:soxwin::putitontheboard

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm sure there were a few choice words that were heard without AJ having to face the ump.

Later in the game, PK stepped out of the box after a very questionable called strike. The director then punched up a closeup of Paulie, and it was clear he mumbled a two-syllable pejorative for excrement from a male cow.

guillensdisciple
08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8303626/chicago-white-sox-broadcaster-ken-hawk-harrelson-was-critical-home-plate-umpire-lance-barrett

Don't they have other things to whine about? Like how bad life sucks since the red sox suck.

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2012, 09:36 PM
The ump should be fired. Anyone who defends the ump should be flogged.

Well it looks like every Major League ump would be in line for a flogging then. :D:

WhiteSox5187
08-25-2012, 09:41 PM

AJ was barking at him for the entire inning. That was just the culmination of the argument.

Usually the unwritten rule says that a catcher can say almost anything so long as he doesn't turn around and face the umpire. But there was a lot of muttering tonight by White Sox players.

ChiSoxGal85
08-25-2012, 09:47 PM
I missed all the stuff with AJ and Robin getting booted; I'll have to go check it out via DVR later.

Nice job by Myers getting out of Thornton's mess. Reed was 1 strike away from getting the save cleanly. Nice recovery from yesterday, but let's not make it that interesting anymore, ok Addison?

Great all-around team win! I keep saying this, but the Tigers must be gnashing their teeth again, as the Sox have been matching them win for win these days.:bandance:

veeter
08-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Joyce needs to let Robin get his say. Keep your hands off him and let him get his money's worth. Barrett has to learn to take an ear full when he's been bad. Another good win.

balke
08-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Later in the game, PK stepped out of the box after a very questionable called strike. The director then punched up a closeup of Paulie, and it was clear he mumbled a two-syllable pejorative for excrement from a male cow.

Youk questioned a strike call early (for not checking up I believe), and I thought Dunn might've got tossed for questioning the Youk call in the next at bat.

A lot of jawing - but "it's all good".

ND_Sox_Fan
08-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Youk questioned a strike call early (for not checking up I believe), and I thought Dunn might've got tossed for questioning the Youk call in the next at bat.

A lot of jawing - but "it's all good".

Sitting in 531 tonight, so I had a great view of just how bad (different) the zone widths were.

Youk's check-swing strike was called by the 1B umpire. Dunn had two balls thrown to him that were both called strikes in that next AB, including strike 3. Jordan got hosed on a few. Konerko's later in the game was bad.

Barrett was terrible from the first inning on against Quintana and our guys at the plate. Things did take a measurable turn after the ejections.

Tragg
08-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Just judging by the pitch that on which AJ was thrown out (a great pitch it was), I don't blame Hawk or AJ or RV

Wedema
08-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Even though he game up the homer to Seager, it was a good comeback by Reed tonight. Oh yeah, btw, Jim Joyce is a tool for not letting Robin have his say with Barrett.

aryzner
08-25-2012, 11:47 PM
I was in section 542 tonight and there were many people questioning the strike zone early on. I obviously can't see things super accurately from there, but sometimes you can kinda tell when a pitch is a strike, and a lot of them looked that way. I wonder if I can get the replay on demand on my comcast cable box - I'd like to see the first couple innings on TV.

It was pretty funny for me too, because right after I said to my wife, "I dunno... that pitch looked pretty good." is when AJ got tossed. Robin followed and the crowd got really riled up for that.

I did not like the first inning but other than that it was an awesome game to watch. I thought Dunn's deep flyout to center was gone off the bat and I also thought Rios' double was gone, but they fell just short.

ElevenUp
08-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Just got back from the game. Sitting in section 161 and had a really hard time trying to figure out the strike zone all night. I thought Quintana did a great job of battling after that first inning. I was imagining that Hawk had a few choice words after AJ and Robin got tossed. Flowers's homer was awesome. Beckham's pop ups were tough to stomach. Great win!

GlassSox
08-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Just home from the very interesting game. Again the Sox did not give up. Quintana settled down after a very shaky start. Ya' never know which Thornton is coming out of the bull pen but the one that came out tonight sucks! Reed closed it okay.

Nice post game fireworks.

Now we can wait and see how much trouble Hawk is in this time.

ElevenUp
08-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Just home from the very interesting game. Again the Sox did not give up. Quintana settled down after a very shaky start. Ya' never know which Thornton is coming out of the bull pen but the one that came out tonight sucks! Reed closed it okay.

Nice post game fireworks.

Now we can wait and see how much trouble Hawk is in this time.

I forgot to mention that. Awesome show after a win!

SoxSpeed22
08-26-2012, 12:14 AM
After that really ugly first set of innings, I was surprised the Sox were even in this one. But they kept working and ultimately came out on top. The pen was much better today, so that's always good news.
And btw, we are only 4.5 games back of the top seed.

samurai_sox
08-26-2012, 12:52 AM
2.5 up and have 70 wins.

Good, I could use more toilet paper.

Bob Roarman
08-26-2012, 02:13 AM
And the conspiracy continues...

vinny
08-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Love AJ's quote about the ejection after the game:

"You know, when you have an argument over what kind of pizza is better, deep dish or thin crust, it usually leads to an ejection," Pierzynski said. "He said thin crust and I said deep dish, so he didn't like the answer he got I guess."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120825&content_id=37340244&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

October26
08-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Love AJ's quote about the ejection after the game:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120825&content_id=37340244&vkey=news_cws&c_id=cws

Hilarious! I love how AJ is always in the middle of "stuff." I don't remember ever seeing Robin quite that animated. I enjoyed watching Robin's rant - he did what he had to do to support AJ.

Another wonderful White Sox winner last night...keep on winning, White Sox!

PS - I hope Viciedo is okay.

white sox bill
08-26-2012, 08:59 AM
As much as I'm hoping there are no fines or suspensions given to our guys, I like to see this. If enough of this sort of thing happens and involves the same umpires, maybe MLB will take a closer look at the umps performance and enforce more accoutability.

tebman
08-26-2012, 09:16 AM
As much as I'm hoping there are no fines or suspensions given to our guys, I like to see this. If enough of this sort of thing happens and involves the same umpires, maybe MLB will take a closer look at the umps performance and enforce more accoutability.

I hope so. The umpires are just hastening the day of their replacement by PitchTrax or whatever electronic system is chosen to call balls and strikes.

Umpiring is a tough gig and I get that. But a few more Joe West-type incidents and what little sympathy I have for umpires will be completely gone.

SaltyPretzel
08-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Looks like they're starting a witch hunt.

fram40
08-26-2012, 11:02 AM

It sems to me if Hawk would not personailze his criticism he would not get into trouble, nor would it be so controversial. But he specifies the umpire he disagrees with.

Why not just say, "Home Plate umpire is having a rough night", compare the strike zones for the opposing pitchers and certain hitters, and harp on it all he likes. It would be a lot less troublesome for him.

But when he names the umpire, claims that the specific umpire knows nothing about the game, etc etc - of course he is going to get into trouble. And rightfully so. Temper your criticism Hawk. Not only for your own sake, but for the viewers as well. Please

Nice win for the Sox. Great homestand for the Sox. With a chance for a spectacular 6 - 0 homestand.

Let's finish the homestand sweep today. No matter how long the weather delays this game, I suspect they will get it in. Today is not the day for Floyd's typical 3 or 4 runs in the first two innings. Very good chance exists that this will be a rain-shortened game. The Sox need to be leading early and throughout.

voodoochile
08-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Guy gets told to knock it off by the team owner and the commish and then two months later does it again, that might be a story. Whether Hawk is right or wrong is not germane to that discussion...

RadioheadRocks
08-26-2012, 07:04 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath; some of those umps have a sense of entitlement and think they can walk on water.

jdm2662
08-26-2012, 08:30 PM
It sems to me if Hawk would not personailze his criticism he would not get into trouble, nor would it be so controversial. But he specifies the umpire he disagrees with.

Why not just say, "Home Plate umpire is having a rough night", compare the strike zones for the opposing pitchers and certain hitters, and harp on it all he likes. It would be a lot less troublesome for him.

But when he names the umpire, claims that the specific umpire knows nothing about the game, etc etc - of course he is going to get into trouble. And rightfully so. Temper your criticism Hawk. Not only for your own sake, but for the viewers as well. Please

I was listening to the radio during this time. Both Farmer and DJ said they were bad calls. Which, it is perfectly fine to point out. But, when you take personal shots and acting like the world is against the White Sox, please. The Sox get just as many close calls and breaks go their way, and Hawk doesn't seem to mind.

Brian26
08-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Guy gets told to knock it off by the team owner and the commish and then two months later does it again, that might be a story. Whether Hawk is right or wrong is not germane to that discussion...

For anyone reading the ESPN account who did not see the tv broadcast, it might sound like a similar rant to the one earlier this year. Hawk actually was very calm last night, and all of those comments that were printed were uttered over the course of several minutes, with similar Steve Stone comments in between. I'm not sure if context is the correct descriptor here. The rant from earlier this year was a yelling tirade. What was said last night was calmly broadcast without anger; it was more of a discussion between Hawk and Stone. At least that's my take.

I did enjoy the comment when Hawk said they were going to send the tape to the league office for review.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
According to the Tribune neither Hawk nor JR had any comments when asked about what was said Saturday night.

Lip

doublem23
08-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Barrett's strike zone from Saturday (http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/szoneCDB.php?pitchSel=all&game=gid_2012_08_25_seamlb_chamlb_1/&innings=yyyyyyyyy&s_type=&sp_type=1&h_size=700&v_size=500&reParsed=0&extraStr=|8/25/2012|Seattle Mariners @ Chicago White Sox)...

Awful