PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-24 Walkoff Winner; SOX 9 SEA 8 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Celebrate relief!

aryzner
08-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Even if that was ruled a catch, I think Wise scores anyway with how far away it rolled.

Good to win but I'm still pretty pissed about that 9th inning.

But a win is a win.

Hitmen77
WOW!

This guy had faith that we'd come back:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2977177&postcount=96

This clown didn't::redface:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2977183&postcount=102

ChiSoxGal85
One of the most bizarre wins in my recent memory! :bandance:

TheFrisbee
08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
How did it end? gameday still is locked at "In play, run(s)"

Railsplitter
Perhaps the most bizarre ending for a Sox game ever.

Frater Perdurabo
This was like an old fashioned high-scoring Sox game from a decade ago.

Peavy deserved a win; Reed certainly does not.

thomas35forever
That was quite an ending.

spawn
I love the resiliency of this team. Blow a 5 run lead in the ninth, and score two to win.

That said, they did not deserve to win this game.

Moses_Scurry
2.5 games up. That's all I have to say about that.

doublem23
Even if that was ruled a catch, I think Wise scores anyway with how far away it rolled.

Definitely, if Wise didn't leave the bag before the ball popped out (and I'm not sure why he would anyway), then it's all academic anyway. Either the winning run scores with 1 out or 2.

soxnut1018
08-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Any day the magic number goes down by two is a good day. Crazy ending and I'm still not sure it actually happened, but I'll take it.

spawn
How did it end? gameday still is locked at "In play, run(s)"
The right fielder andd the center fielder collided. The right fielder had the ball in his glove, but after the collision it came out.

soxinem1
This was like an old fashioned high-scoring Sox game from a decade ago.

You ain't kidding!

Post-game thread title should be 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'.

Plenty of offense, offensive relief, dumb throw gives SEA the lead, Wise does not tag up...... And we still win.

And that ball was dropped to end the game.

Hitmen77
Amazing guts for this team to comeback!!!! Last year's team would have gone 3 and out in the last of the 9th in that situation.

I'm still pissed about that top of the 9th fiasco. I hope that doesn't burn us bullpen wise the next couple of games. Oh, and Wise should have tagged on Dunn's deep fly.

But, as Hawk says:

:hawk:
It's All Good!!

all*star quentin
I'm still in shock. Good to see that the White Sox came back and won the damn game.

Two more Wins, to sweep the Mariners. :gulp:

Crooked Number
"Don't ever give up, don't ever ever give up" - Jimmy V

That went from being a potential catastrophic loss, to a huge, walkoff win. Enormous for the division run. So glad they pulled it out!

voodoochile
08-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Think Reed relaxed when the Sox got the 5 run lead. Don't think he ever really found his rhythm out there, but at least the offense picked him up. This game should never have come to that and you gotta feel sorry for Jake. He finally gets some run support and the bullpen screws him out of the win, but at least it was a win...

Anyone got a defibrillator and a bottle of Jack?

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Brian26

I can't figure out what the argument Stone started to allude to was. That would have been the 2nd out if he caught it. Wise scores easily with the ball getting away. Nobody called timeout. Game OVAH.

doublem23

Phil, Donnie, and Addison owe Jake the nicest steak dinner he's ever had.

Boondock Saint
08-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Really needed this win. It's about time Peavy got some run support, it's a shame it didn't equal a win for him. Reed and Humber can go sit in a corner and think about what they did while everyone else celebrates a big win.

Zakath
08-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Avoided what could have been a tailspinning loss. Peavy finally gets some run support, and the 'pen tries to hand it back on a silver platter.

I've never seen a team that plays to the level of its competition as much as this one does.

voodoochile
08-24-2012, 10:19 PM
The right fielder andd the center fielder collided. The right fielder had the ball in his glove, but after the collision it came out.

It should make all the highlights, he had that ball a long time before it came out. Only after he spun around and his mitt bounced off the fence did the momentum of the rebounding glove toss the ball across the grass.

SBSoxFan
Well, that turned out to be not easy.

What was Robin doing with the turn style bullpen in the 9th? He should have just left Humber in. It seemed like he was trying to get it to a save situation.

tstrike2000
Awesome job coming back with Youk, Wise, and Paulie, but what the hell was that?

Tragg
Reed was charged to do what he doesn't do very often: enter the game with runners on base. That's a different game. And why you don't put your best reliever at closer (and I don't think that Reed is our best reliever anyway).

Great comeback. Good timing for that rare walk, DeWayne.

spawn
Phil, Donnie, and Addison owe Jake the nicest steak dinner he's ever had.
Better add a lobster tail and dessert to that.

Dibbs
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Wow. That could have been disastrous. Big come back in the bottom of the 9th. Very poor base running by my main man Wise in the 9th.

Poor Peavy gets cheated out his 10th win.

PalehosePlanet
08-24-2012, 10:20 PM

But a win is a win.

Wise would have had to tag up though, if he never went back to second to tag up they could have thrown to second base for the third out.

Whatever.... don't care, that's a huge win and HUGE relief. It averted quite possibly the worst Sox loss that I would have ever witnessed. Maybe we've blown other 5 run leads in the 9th in my lifetime, but at the moment I cannot recall it.

JB98
08-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Embarrassing bullpen work. Inexcusable walks to poor hitters.

The Sox offense did what it had to do.

KnightSox
08-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I haven't had this much fun watching baseball in years, no matter what happens the 2012 White Sox have been a joy.

spawn
08-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I haven't had this much fun watching baseball in years, no matter what happens the 2012 White Sox have been a joy.
Yep. Last season, this team goes 3 up, 3 down in the bottom of the ninth.

palehozenychicty
08-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I had a feeling with the walks that we'd pull it out. Seattle has played a lot better since the Ichiro trade. It's all good!

doublem23
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM

Absolutely. Probably the first time in years that, even after that 9th inning meltdown, I felt like they could find a way to eek out a run and at least get to extras. Haven't had that kind of confidence in them in a while.

Sox83Kid
I probably sprouted a few grey hairs after this one, yet The Guys once again showed that incredible resiliency!

PalehosePlanet

What was Robin doing with the turn style bullpen in the 9th? He should have just left Humber in. It seemed like he was trying to get it to a save situation.

Exactly, he over reacted to the one-out walk. It was still 7-3 and no need panic and pull a guy because you're pissed off about the walk.

voodoochile
08-24-2012, 10:25 PM

But a win is a win.

It can't be ruled a catch until the player makes a conscious effort to remove the ball from the mitt or in the odd chance he barehands it proceeds to do something with the ball. It's not the ball landing in the mitt it's what happens thereafter that matters.

Anyone remember the famous Henry Cotto play where he laid out full dive to grab a hit baseball only to separate his shoulder or something on landing. Maybe he knocked himself cold, I can't recall, but he lay there motionless on the grass as the batter circled the bases. The ball was in his glove for a long time before rolling out and the batter got an inside the park HR IIRC.

Edit: Think it was Cotto...

AlleghenySoxFan
08-24-2012, 10:26 PM
It was weird, but I knew they weren't going to lose. I would never have thought that in the past 10 years. Something special is going on here.

spawn
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Exactly, he over reacted to the one-out walk. It was still 7-3 and no need panic and pull a guy because you're pissed off about the walk.
I agree, but we have to remember that this is his first time managing a baseball team. It's a bad time to make mistakes like this, but it's not entirely surprising either.

MetroPD
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Reed needs to be re-evaluated as our sole closer. I'd rather have who ever is feeling good come in on any given night than to continually watch him come in.

KenBerryGrab
08-24-2012, 10:29 PM
So lucky Wise's brain cramp didn't kill them.

samurai_sox
08-24-2012, 10:31 PM

In less than 5 minutes too.

Tigers fans must be furious right now.

Dibbs
08-24-2012, 10:33 PM

I think it could have gone either way. I had no problem with Robin pulling Humber. It is better to pull someone too early than too late.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I can't figure out what the argument Stone started to allude to was. That would have been the 2nd out if he caught it. Wise scores easily with the ball getting away. Nobody called timeout. Game OVAH.By their reaction, I'm guessing Wise stupidly ran and didn't make an attempt to tag-up. The umpire called him safe when he crossed the plate, and the Seattle manager was pissed because he thought no call should have been made then. He thought the catch was good before the drop, so the Mariners would have been able to chase down the ball and throw to second to end the game. By the way, had it been called a catch, it would have been Wise' second horrifically stupid baserunning play in a row.

That was much more difficult than it had to be, but I'm just glad we won it. Hopefully the bottom of the ninth carries over more than the top.

all*star quentin
08-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Just an observation on Reed, he didn't have much time to warmup. Stone said, "he was getting ready in a hurry."

kba
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I can't figure out what the argument Stone started to allude to was. That would have been the 2nd out if he caught it. Wise scores easily with the ball getting away. Nobody called timeout. Game OVAH.

According to DJ, the Mariners claimed Konerko passed Youkilis on the bases.

asindc
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
WOW!

This guy had faith that we'd come back:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2977177&postcount=96

This clown didn't::redface:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2977183&postcount=102

Reason #247 I don't do game threads. By the way,...

This might be the worse loss I could remember in nearly 40 years of watching Sox games. Seriously.

... this game is on the phone. It wants to know if the poster forgot it:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN200809250.shtml

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Reed needs to be re-evaluated as our sole closer. I'd rather have who ever is feeling good come in on any given night than to continually watch him come in.

I think that Reed was not ready to come in. I think mentally he sort of relaxed seeing as how there was a five run lead in the ninth. I have no problem with Reed as the closer.

I HATED the way Robin managed the bullpen there in the 9th, the only thing I hated more was how the pitchers pitched.

PalehosePlanet
08-24-2012, 10:40 PM

I doubt what DJ is saying is true, because as soon as Paulie touched first base the game is over. Or if he does pass up Youk, then that is only the 2nd out, and the winning run scores anyway.

asindc
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM
I love the resiliency of this team. Blow a 5 run lead in the ninth, and score two to win.

That said, they did not deserve to win this game.

Neither did Seattle.

Nelfox02
08-24-2012, 10:41 PM

not ready to go to a closer by committee, overall I ve been impressed by Reed. If you are not ready to annoint him the best closer in baseball after that impressive outing vs NYY the other night, he cant have his job questioned after tonight. as an earlier poster pointed out, he came in with men on base, having to have a totally different approach than usual.

not making excuses, he sucked tonight, but if it is a 1 or 2 run lead in the ninth tomorrow I still give him the ball

voodoochile
08-24-2012, 10:42 PM
A CATCH...(snip)... It is not a catch, however, if simultaneously or immediately following his contact with the ball, he collides with a player, or with a wall, or if he falls down, and as a result of such collision or falling, drops the ball.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/definition_terms_2.jsp

I could have sworn there was something about making a play with the ball after catching it even if it's just consciously removing the ball from the glove or using the glove to flip the ball to another player, but guess I was wrong or the rule got changed...

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:44 PM
Reed needs to be re-evaluated as our sole closer. I'd rather have who ever is feeling good come in on any given night than to continually watch him come in.No he doesn't. He has been doing very well of late. This was a really strange situation. Robin reacted too quickly by yanking Humber with a four run lead. It was a laugher and Reed likely wasn't expecting to come into the game. After Humber was taken out, Veal came in for one batter and then Reed was thrown into a bad situation with a short warm-up and momentum going against the team. Obviously, he was terrible and poured gasoline on the fire. It happens. I'm as pissed as anyone about the top of the night, but that shouldn't impact anyone's view on Reed.

doublem23
By their reaction, I'm guessing Wise stupidly ran and didn't make an attempt to tag-up. The umpire called him safe when he crossed the plate, and the Seattle manager was pissed because he thought no call should have been made then. He thought the catch was good before the drop, so the Mariners would have been able to chase down the ball and throw to second to end the game. By the way, had it been called a catch, it would have been Wise' second horrifically stupid baserunning play in a row.

That was much more difficult than it had to be, but I'm just glad we won it. Hopefully the bottom of the ninth carries over more than the top.

Jesus Christ, rear it in, dude, you're not even in the ballpark.

The horrifically stupid baserunning play was on Paulie

PalehosePlanet
Reason #247 I don't do game threads. By the way,...

I'm guilty as charged, yes I thought we were dead after the top of the 9th. However, the game that you reference was not a blown 5 run lead in the 9th inning. By "the worst" I meant biggest blown lead in the 9th.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:49 PM
According to DJ, the Mariners claimed Konerko passed Youkilis on the bases.But that wouldn't have impacted anything as it would have been the second out. The Mariners obviously thought it was a catch.

Hitmen77
08-24-2012, 10:50 PM

In less than 5 minutes too.

In less that 10 pitches.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Jesus Christ, rear it in, dude, you're not even in the ballpark.

The horrifically stupid baserunning play was on PaulieI was guessing on that. I didn't see Konerko supposedly pass Youkilis, but I figured there was a question about Wise leaving early. Obviously, the Mariners thought it was a catch, because otherwise none of the baserunning mattered (unless they forgot the rules and thought both Youk and Konerko would be called out). If not, my bad. However, Wise DID have a horrible baserunning play by not tagging up on Dunn's flyball with the weak-armed left fielder backpedaling to catch it.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Winning Ugly 2.0

SMO
:gulp:

TomBradley72
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
You need a few wins like this to get to the postseason- it's good to see a little "it's our year" magic showing up right now.

Very impressed with Adam Dunn- some guys put up empty stats- he's just the opposite- really coming up big when it counts- if we could get PK and him hot at the same time for a week or two that could give some real daylight between the Sox and Detroit.

Beckham's glove shows up big again-

Hitmen77
08-24-2012, 10:54 PM

I think this one was worse:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/MIN/MIN201007180.shtml

spongyfungy
08-24-2012, 10:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4539C.gif (http://www.sbnation.com/2012/8/24/3267004/mariners-white-sox-gif-eric-thames-michael-saunders)

courtesy of sbnation. link to more fun replay gifs

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I thought of that game. I'd rank it just above Thome's bomb off of Thornton, but it still doesn't top the game he listed. They went from 2.5 up to a half game back in three nights. Three (actually four) games left in the season after that and they blew a game they should have won, with the Twins celebrating like they won the World Series. That is about as bad a loss as I have experienced.

PalehosePlanet
08-24-2012, 11:02 PM
BTW, we're at our high-water mark for the year now at 14 games over .500.

aryzner
08-24-2012, 11:08 PM
From the online replay of the end, it sure looks like Wise was probably tagging up on that play, so that part is fine.

Stone talks about a debate at the end of the clip, but there's no footage of Konerko passing Youkilis, so I couldn't tell you what happened there.

ElevenUp
08-24-2012, 11:09 PM
I watched the replay of the last play several times. I could see Wise heading back to second while the ball is in the air. They cut to the outfielders and stay on the ball for a long time as it is rolling on the ground. When they cut back to Wise he is not yet at third base. I was not at the game, but it seems like there was no base running blunder. He tagged up and even if that was ruled a catch, he scores after the ball rolls away after he tags up.

thomas35forever
08-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Let me add we'll never see that ending again. I'll be shocked if it ever repeats itself.

asindc
08-24-2012, 11:14 PM

I thought of that game. I'd rank it just above Thome's bomb off of Thornton, but it still doesn't top the game he listed. They went from 2.5 up to a half game back in three nights. Three (actually four) games left in the season after that and they blew a game they should have won, with the Twins celebrating like they won the World Series. That is about as bad a loss as I have experienced.

I thought about that game as well, but picked the one I did for the reasons you state.

Foulke You
08-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Robin had a bad 9th inning there. Agree with others that Humber got a quick hook. Veal against the right hander was a bad matchup. Reed didn't look loose at all and that 0-2 fastball was just god awful. I also didn't understand squaring to bunt with Wise in the bottom of the 9th to just play for the tie. Fortunately, Seattle walked him on 4 pitches. Oh well, managers can have off nights and Robin has pushed the right buttons more often than not this year.

Crazy finish though and I will take wins any shapes and sizes at this time of year. I bet Tigers fans aren't pleased with Seattle's teaser comeback. :tongue:

slavko
08-24-2012, 11:23 PM

You're a lover of cardiac arrest too? Reed had only one pitch instead of three (the #1) and was centering it nicely after he discovered that he couldn't hit corners. I hope it was the short warmup. Double ugly. But they beat a nice closer and a hot team too.

Youk's got to get in front of that Rios throw. He's got a habit of trying to snab balls backhand rather than block them with his body. Is he worried about his pretty face?

Any psychologist out there tell me if this crushes the Mariners or gives them a boost?

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
Robin had a bad 9th inning there. Agree with others that Humber got a quick hook. Veal against the right hander was a bad matchup. Reed didn't look loose at all and that 0-2 fastball was just god awful. I also didn't understand squaring to bunt with Wise in the bottom of the 9th to just play for the tie. Fortunately, Seattle walked him on 4 pitches. Oh well, managers can have off nights and Robin has pushed the right buttons more often than not this year.

Crazy finish though and I will take wins any shapes and sizes at this time of year. I bet Tigers fans aren't pleased with Seattle's teaser comeback. :tongue:I agree. It obviously was a bad inning for Robin. He has had a handful of blunders this year, but he has helped the team far more than he has hurt it.

WhiteSox5187
08-24-2012, 11:31 PM
From the online replay of the end, it sure looks like Wise was probably tagging up on that play, so that part is fine.

Stone talks about a debate at the end of the clip, but there's no footage of Konerko passing Youkilis, so I couldn't tell you what happened there.

I was at the game and Wise definitely tagged from 2nd (I think the fact that he didn't tag from second to advance to third on the previous play was on his mind) and he just never stopped running. I thought at first that they ruled it a catch and that maybe Youkilis didn't go back to first so they could have thrown him out there. Then I saw that it was ruled a hit (which seemed to surprise even Konerko) and wasn't sure what the hell was going on.

08-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Excellent win. We're totally in their heads. Like the Twins to us circa 2009-2010. This will be a sweep.

Bringing up this game almost ruined my night. What horrible, horrible memories. Please don't do ever that again!

amsteel
08-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Bad bullpen
Not great bullpen management
Awesome offense

I would really like to be more confident in Ventura's BP management.

Whatever, a win is a win.

Wedema
08-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't blame Reed for the blown save as Robin gave him absolutely no time to warm up. He didn't even get up until Veal came in the game and Veal only threw one pitch and then Robin came and got him. I do blame Reed for not backing up third base on Rios' throw that let the go ahead run score.

asindc
08-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Excellent win. We're totally in their heads. Like the Twins to us circa 2009-2010. This will be a sweep.

Bringing up this game almost ruined my night. What horrible, horrible memories. Please don't do ever that again!

My apologies. :smile:

Lip Man 1
08-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Thoughts on a bizarre night:

1. Certainly the wildest, crazyest game I can remember in a long time.

2. Jake Peavy has got to be pulling his hair out, he simply can not catch a break. When he pitches well the Sox don't score runs, when he pitches well the bullpen stinks to high heaven. He's this generation's Joe Horlen / Gary Peters 1966.

3. Phil Humber has been lousy since the All Star Break of last year. That's a full season...even with the questions surrounding the physical makeup of Danks and the mental makeup of Floyd you wonder if he's in the Sox future plans. That may be why Robin was quick with him tonight, maybe he's losing confidence in him.

4. This miracle makes up for Detroit's miracle when they scored five times in extra innings to beat Cleveland. On that score the two are now even.

5. This is the 10th time this year the Sox won when trailing in the 7th inning or later.

Luck is a part of the game, it smiled on the Sox tonight.

Lip

aryzner
08-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Should the Sox reach the ultimate goal of Major League Baseball this season, I don't think Peavy will care too much about his W-L record for 2012.

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Got Home from Da Game About an Hour or so ago, IN-SANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I posted a after The Danks Walkoff That That was The Best Game of The Season, and it was like a Playoff Atmosphere. But Guys, Tonite, OMG!! I WISH ALLLLLLL OF YOU ON HERE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!!!! I HAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VOICE LEFT and it was just, WOW!!

Mod edit: Your sexist comments have been removed.

P.S. Sorry for grammatical errors or mistakes, I know there are some folks on here who like to jump all over people for that for some reason but currently, my comp is not allowing the spell-check to work so, "sorry" for that, I Guess :gulp:

aryzner
08-25-2012, 12:12 AM
I really don't think that post is gonna fly here, dude. Maybe on another board, but not here.

I'm glad you were all excited for the win, though.

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Got Home from Da Game About an Hour or so ago, IN-SANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I posted a after The Danks Walkoff That That was The Best Game of The Season, and it was like a Playoff Atmosphere. But Guys, Tonite, OMG!! I WISH ALLLLLLL OF YOU ON HERE COULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!!!! I HAVE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO VOICE LEFT and it was just, WOW!!

Mod edit: When you know that the moderators are not going to appreciate a post, please don't quote it and make us have to edit it twice.

P.S. Sorry for grammatical errors or mistakes, I know there are some folks on here who like to jump all over people for that for some reason but currently, my comp is not allowing the spell-check to work so, "sorry" for that, I Guess :gulp:

BTW-When I say, "Best Game of the Year"; I'm not Including Phil's No-No V Da same team. I mean that goes without saying but sometimes you have to say it cause I know someone will get on me for that. :smile:

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2012, 12:17 AM
I really don't think that post is gonna fly here, dude. Maybe on another board, but not here.

I'm glad you were all excited for the win, though.

I'm sorry? You are refering to MY post? Dude, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. It would be a little different if I was very specific and gave EVERY detail but I didnt. I just said what the situation was. Man, Chill. Wow.:scratch:

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm sorry? You are refering to MY post? Dude, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED. It would be a little different if I was very specific and gave EVERY detail but I didnt. I just said what the situation was. Man, Chill. Wow.:scratch:No, you went on a little celebration, including your own fantasies and what you were "checking out." NOT ALLOWED.

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2012, 12:25 AM
No, you went on a little celebration, including your own fantasies and what you were "checking out." NOT ALLOWED.

I sent you a PM and I am Sorry for that, seriously. Like I said, I was just trying to make an analogy as to how like, NOTHING ELSE Mattered at that Point and how it was just PANDAMONIUM in the stands. Thats All. I understand your point though, dont worry. I understand. :smile:

delben91
08-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Bullpen sucked (sucks?).

Disgusting top of the 9th destroys all the good things done throughout the other 8.

Just begging to give the division away, only saved themselves via pure dumb luck.

Totally unacceptable on every level.

doublem23
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Bullpen sucked (sucks?).

Disgusting top of the 9th destroys all the good things done throughout the other 8.

Just begging to give the division away, only saved themselves via pure dumb luck.

Meh, wins are wins, they don't give bonus points for style.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Bullpen sucked (sucks?).

Totally unacceptable on every level.Overreaction. Sometimes one part of a team fails; if another part of the team makes up for it, "it's all good." Sometimes the pitching has to make up for lack of hitting or bad defense. It's not "dumb luck" at all; it's team baseball.

central44
08-25-2012, 12:50 AM
The bullpen has been solid lately. Tonight they didn't have it, and the offense picked them up.

Great win. When there's adversity, this team continues to rise to the challenge rather than fold up and die.

The Mariners have been playing good ball lately--hopefully the Sox really are in their heads, and LAAAA continues to help us out against Detroit. Would be nice to gain even more ground in the division!

chicagowhitesox1
08-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Fister is out at least one start and Verlander isn't pitching vs the Angels so hopefully this works out for the Sox in this series.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Bullpen sucked (sucks?).

...and yet, the Sox gained a game on the Tigers.

Also, they've came back from enough deficits this season to discount it being purely luck. You make your breaks, and the Sox have been doing that.

sullythered
08-25-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't see how anybody sees this as a bad thing. We lost all momentum, surrendered the lead then staged a very unlikely comeback. Goofy last play aside, we succeeded against big odds while facing a strong closer. We put guys on base and then hit the ball hard with them there. This team has a ton of heart.

jcw218
08-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Anyone got a defibrillator and a bottle of Jack?

Here you go voodoo

DumpJerry
08-25-2012, 06:38 AM
For those of you who posted about the worst Sox loss in 40 years and focused on that Twins series, I have two words for you:
Tito Landrum.

TommyJohn
08-25-2012, 06:53 AM

For my money, THIS is the worst White Sox loss I can remember:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198507110.shtml

TomBradley72
08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
For those of you who posted about the worst Sox loss in 40 years and focused on that Twins series, I have two words for you:
Tito Landrum.

In 1990- Lee Stevens (not the worst- but a real "dagger" loss vs. Angels)

TomBradley72
08-25-2012, 07:02 AM

For alot of reasons- not just losing the game- but Bob James getting injured- which led to a 2 week tailspin- which led to Hemond getting fired which led to "The Hawk Wants You" GM era of 1986 and LaRussa getting fired- the end of the 1982-1985 era of restored credibility and the beginning of the dark times of the 1986-1989 White Sox.

October26
08-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Winning Ugly 2.0

SMO
:gulp:

:thumbsup: Sure is, SMO...and I'm lovin' every minute! I fell asleep smiling after that wonderful Sox walk-off win last night and was still smiling when I woke up this morning. Great win! :D: GO SOX!

kufram
08-25-2012, 08:16 AM
I don't see how anybody sees this as a bad thing. We lost all momentum, surrendered the lead then staged a very unlikely comeback. Goofy last play aside, we succeeded against big odds while facing a strong closer. We put guys on base and then hit the ball hard with them there. This team has a ton of heart.

I agree. There was no luck involved in the bottom of the 9th. A hit, a walk, a hit, a run. Then Dunn hits one deep to left and Wise should have been on third but it wasn't necessarily his dumb mistake.... he does have a 3rd base coach. Anyway, then Paulie does Paulie and both outfielders want to catch the ball because that is the game. Collisions happen in these circumstances. It was not a catch.... this isn't football.... you have to come up with the ball... he didn't. That's why fielders show the ball to the ump. Game over. Wise may well have scored from second anyway.

This was a game most teams lose from our position in the bottom of the 9th. It wasn't given to us. We won it.

DumpJerry
08-25-2012, 08:22 AM
I was at the game. After it ended, a friend texted me "Hawk just soiled himself."

asindc
08-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Tito Landrum.

I was thinking worst regular season loss.

asindc
08-25-2012, 08:59 AM
I agree. There was no luck involved in the bottom of the 9th. A hit, a walk, a hit, a run. Then Dunn hits one deep to left and Wise should have been on third but it wasn't necessarily his dumb mistake.... he does have a 3rd base coach. Anyway, then Paulie does Paulie and both outfielders want to catch the ball because that is the game. Collisions happen in these circumstances. It was not a catch.... this isn't football.... you have to come up with the ball... he didn't. That's why fielders show the ball to the ump. Game over. Wise may well have scored from second anyway.

This was a game most teams lose from our position in the bottom of the 9th. It wasn't given to us. We won it.

Well said.

Tragg
08-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Pitching moves like that remind me of the reasons that Larussa was fired

TomBradley72
08-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Pitching moves like that remind me of the reasons that Larussa was fired

It wasn't a "move"- James was injured- he ended up going on the 15 day DL-

Of course LaRussa went on to have a HoF career- and we enjoyed soem great managers like Jim Fregosi, Gene Lemont, Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel

Tragg
08-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Of course LaRussa went on to have a HoF career- and we enjoyed soem great managers like Jim Fregosi, Gene Lemont, Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel
I don't know the circumstances; just remember that Stanton was a pure scrap-heap pitcher that year on the Sox.
We generally had crappy bullpens during his time with the Sox, which didn't play into his philosophy.
Finally in the 1990s we put together a pen.
But yes, he's 10 times the manager as the best on that list.

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't think Fregosi was bad, but he had some really bad teams.

I don't think Lamont was terrible, but he did have some very good teams that always seemed to be one hitter short.

I don't think Manuel was terrible, but he did have some very good teams that always seemed to be one or two pitchers short.

None of these three were as good as LaRussa, but none were nearly as bad as Bevington.

GoSox2K3
08-25-2012, 09:58 AM

:ozzie:
That's because I was managing a bunch of quitters!

hawkjt
08-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Huge,huge win. How they got there? DOES NOT MATTER!
The game had plenty of heroes...

Adam Dunn...is he heating up?...he admits that he has yet to have a real hot streak...please oh please...a few feet from a 3 homer nite, and off a hot pitcher in Vargas,a lefty no less...woo hoo!

PK: Mr. Steady,he has bounced back from the concussion..big time. 3 for 5 with game winnning knock...oh yea.

Alexei: Continues to drive in runs....some media are bitching about his homer dropoff,but he is catching up,and on track for 72+ rbis...maybe 20 more than his counterpart with the Yanks.

Gordo: has heated up this week at the plate,critical single to jumpstart the ninth,and as usual....golden glove.

Youk: absolutely the clutch,critical hit of the game,with his single to drive in Gordo in the 9th. That was a masterful at bat by Youk,who was buried by the curves,but patient enough to wait for the heat,and jumped on it.
This guy is a winner,pure and simple.

As for the meltdown in the 9th....Robin may have pulled Humber early,but those are always easy to assign blame on in hindsight.
Addison Reed was thrown into a very tough situation for him,period.
He is doing a great job,and as Robin said...he is out there again tonite.

Sox need to keep winning this weekend,to prepare for a brutal road trip next week...need some cushion.

TommyJohn
08-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I was thinking worst regular season loss.

Same here.

Noneck
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Seattle must be shaking their heads and wondering how they can beat the Sox. Now a days if a closer gets a win it usually means he didnt do his job, hope to see no more wins this year for Reed.

TommyJohn
08-25-2012, 10:25 AM

I do NOT lament the loss of LaRussa. It isn't like The Genius would have led any of the Sox teams those guys managed to the World Series.

voodoochile
08-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Here you go voodoo

Thank you...

harwar
08-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Addison Reed was thrown into a very tough situation for him,period.He is doing a great job,and as Robin said...he is out there again tonight.

yea, and the sooner the better ..

Lip Man 1
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Tragg:

Here is the background info on that game for you:

July 11, 1985 - The Sox blow a game and lose to the Orioles in Baltimore 7-6. The loss would have long term consequences for the franchise because it eventually led to the firing of longtime G.M. Roland Hemond. With two outs and the Sox leading 6-3, Bob James, the team closer hurt his right knee. In came journeyman relief pitcher Mike Stanton who was picked up out of the minors a few weeks before. Stanton didn’t get a man out and gave up a three run, game winning home run to Fred Lynn.

Up in the broadcast booth, Sox announcers Don Drysdale and Ken “Hawk” Harrelson were openly questioning the organization if the ‘best’ they could do was Stanton. It planted the seed in the mind of ownership that a change was needed. That ‘change’ turned out to be Harrelson... named the new G.M. that off season. The rest as they say is history.

Lip

bluedemon45
08-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Of the 69 victories for the White Sox this year...34 of them have come from when they were trailing.

kufram
08-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Of the 69 victories for the White Sox this year...34 of them have come from when they were trailing.

Wow. Is that right? I knew there were a bunch but HALF of our wins are come from behind?!

guillensdisciple
08-25-2012, 12:18 PM
I am confident enough to say that, if we make it to fall ball, we will be resilient enough to come back even when the chips are stacked against us.

It's not ideal, of course, but if we're down 2-1, or even 3-1 in a series I will not panic. There is something about this team that seems to play better the tougher the situation.

Hell, we have essentially been in first since the first week of June. Think about that for a second. Sans a blip in the system when the Tigers took over for 3 days, we have been in control of first for almost three months now. That's crazy considering what has felt like a roller coaster ride.

I hope the Sox are on their way to a patented 8 game winning streak right now. It would be a perfect way to separate ourselves from the Tigers.

It seems like the tigers are that team that keeps on coming close but just can't see to crack the top for one reason or another.

PaleHoser
08-25-2012, 12:45 PM
In 1990- Lee Stevens (not the worst- but a real "dagger" loss vs. Angels)

Lee Stevens cured me of ever standing and clapping with two outs in the ninth. I haven't done it since that game. Why Thigpen threw him something off-speed when he was late on three straight fastballs is still a mystery to me.

I didn't witness last night's game, and thank God I didn't since my heart probably couldn't have taken it.

Three walks in the ninth inning will rarely get it done regardless of the size of the lead. Maybe Robin had the quick hook to send a message about challenging a hitter with a four run lead? I know Montero lead off the inning with a HR, so maybe Humber started nibbling instead of going right after hitters?

bluedemon45
08-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Wow. Is that right? I knew there were a bunch but HALF of our wins are come from behind?!

Saw it on Twitter.

TomBradley72
08-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Lee Stevens cured me of ever standing and clapping with two outs in the ninth. I haven't done it since that game. Why Thigpen threw him something off-speed when he was late on three straight fastballs is still a mystery to me.

I didn't witness last night's game, and thank God I didn't since my heart probably couldn't have taken it.

Three walks in the ninth inning will rarely get it done regardless of the size of the lead. Maybe Robin had the quick hook to send a message about challenging a hitter with a four run lead? I know Montero lead off the inning with a HR, so maybe Humber started nibbling instead of going right after hitters?

I can still see that ball going over the CF fence at Old Comiskey- we never really threatened the A's again after that loss-

Lip Man 1
08-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Pale:

I've heard some talk that Kenny was none to pleased watching Humber pitch last night. Not saying he told Robin to pull him (I don't think he did) but I'm getting the sense his patience is starting to wear thin with Humber.

It will be interesting to see what happens potentially to him this off season.

Lip

Paulwny
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM

DJ is correct. According to the Trib, " The Mariners unsuccessfully contended that Konerko passed Youkilis on the base paths."

TDog
08-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Pale:

I've heard some talk that Kenny was none to pleased watching Humber pitch last night. Not saying he told Robin to pull him (I don't think he did) but I'm getting the sense his patience is starting to wear thin with Humber.

It will be interesting to see what happens potentially to him this off season.

Lip

Humber has done a very good job in relief, keeping the Sox in a couple of games long enough to erase what seemed big deficits. This was his first bad outing since he went to the bullpen.

And, really, I wonder, even when I saw Humber's name pop up as the pitching change, if bringing in Humber rallied the Mariners, Humber's perfect game being the low point of the Mariners' season. Giving up the leadoff home run with a five-run lead behind in the count was less a problem than the walk later.

The Sox are paying Humber only a bit more than the minimum. In his relief role, the Sox are more than getting their money's worth, although they are paying him $50,000 more than they are paying Reed this year. Humber isn't a problem in the bullpen, despite giving up two of the six ninth-inning runs Friday night (one third of the runs while retiring one-third of the hitters). He isn't a drain on the payroll. As a reliever, he has probably been more consistent than Jones, who probably has the best stuff of anyone in the bullpen but has had a few bad outings.

It might be interesting to see how the Sox construct their bullpen for next year, certainly. But in Friday night's game, the only reliever who did his job was Thornton. I wouldn't take from that that Thornton should return to closing games.

As for last night's game, it was the sort that the Tigers have won over the last couple of years (although Valverde didn't blow any ninth inning leads last year). The Sox have lost a few games like this in recent years. A couple against the Twins come to mind.

When Wise walked after the Beckham single in the ninth, I knew the Sox would at least tie it. But I have no idea why Wise didn't go to third on the Youkilis single. The Dunn fly ball (if he had followed with a fly ball) would have ended it.

If Wise had been tagging on the Konerko fly, he could have legally left the base as soon as it made contact with a defender or his glove. It wasn't a catch because the fielder didn't take it out of his glove. If it had been a catch with both outfielders on the ground and the ball in a glove, Wise probably would have scored then as well.

It was a ninth inning that took me back to 1977.

Hitmen77
08-26-2012, 01:26 PM
According to Dan Roan last night, this was the first time in Sox history that they gave up 6 runs in the 9th and came back to win the game.

RadioheadRocks
08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Humber has done a very good job in relief, keeping the Sox in a couple of games long enough to erase what seemed big deficits. This was his first bad outing since he went to the bullpen.

And, really, I wonder, even when I saw Humber's name pop up as the pitching change, if bringing in Humber rallied the Mariners, Humber's perfect game being the low point of the Mariners' season. Giving up the leadoff home run with a five-run lead behind in the count was less a problem than the walk later.

The Sox are paying Humber only a bit more than the minimum. In his relief role, the Sox are more than getting their money's worth, although they are paying him $50,000 more than they are paying Reed this year. Humber isn't a problem in the bullpen, despite giving up two of the six ninth-inning runs Friday night (one third of the runs while retiring one-third of the hitters). He isn't a drain on the payroll. As a reliever, he has probably been more consistent than Jones, who probably has the best stuff of anyone in the bullpen but has had a few bad outings.

It might be interesting to see how the Sox construct their bullpen for next year, certainly. But in Friday night's game, the only reliever who did his job was Thornton. I wouldn't take from that that Thornton should return to closing games.

As for last night's game, it was the sort that the Tigers have won over the last couple of years (although Valverde didn't blow any ninth inning leads last year). The Sox have lost a few games like this in recent years. A couple against the Twins come to mind.

When Wise walked after the Beckham single in the ninth, I knew the Sox would at least tie it. But I have no idea why Wise didn't go to third on the Youkilis single. The Dunn fly ball (if he had followed with a fly ball) would have ended it.

If Wise had been tagging on the Konerko fly, he could have legally left the base as soon as it made contact with a defender or his glove. It wasn't a catch because the fielder didn't take it out of his glove. If it had been a catch with both outfielders on the ground and the ball in a glove, Wise probably would have scored then as well.

It was a ninth inning that took me back to 1977.

I concur.