PDA

View Full Version : Rays schedule quirk

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2012, 07:45 PM
We were thinking of heading over on Sunday to St. Pete to catch a Rays game. Pull out the schedule and lo and behold there is no game on Sunday.
My guess the RNC being in Tampa might have something to do with it but the Trop is over 20 miles from Downtown Tampa and the RNC does not start until Monday. I cannot ever remember a game not being scheduled on a Sunday.

Hitmen77
08-24-2012, 08:04 PM
I have never seen that before.

If they were going to work in a crazy off Sunday for the Rays, why didn't just work into the schedule that the Rays need to be on the road for that weekend. :scratch:

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
That seems really odd. I don't suppose the big event in Tampa would effect St. Pete, but would there be that much more traffic and security concerns in getting to St. Pete? Or worry of less attendance if people are involved?

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Just for the heck of it I looked up when the DNC was held in Chicago in 1996, it was held Aug 26-29 and the Sox were home all during the convention.
The Rays head out on a road trip after Saturday's game but I still find it strange that how a Sunday afternoon game in St. Pete can cause logistic problems for the RNC.

EDIT. Just checked the Rays web site, article says Saturdays game will be their 19th straight game day, MLB rules say 20 game days are the limit and they play Monday in Texas so thus the rare Sunday off day.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Just for the heck of it I looked up when the DNC was held in Chicago in 1996, it was held Aug 26-29 and the Sox were home all during the convention.
The Rays head out on a road trip after Saturday's game but I still find it strange that how a Sunday afternoon game in St. Pete can cause logistic problems for the RNC.

EDIT. Just checked the Rays web site, article says Saturdays game will be their 19th straight game day, MLB rules say 20 game days are the limit and they play Monday in Texas so thus the rare Sunday off day.

That makes more sense, but still an off day during the weekend seems to make more sense. Do they not necessarily draw that much better on sundays?

LITTLE NELL
08-24-2012, 09:50 PM
That makes more sense, but still an off day during the weekend seems to make more sense. Do they not necessarily draw that much better on sundays?

Looking at their schedule last night (Thursday) would have made more sense. They do draw more on Sundays than on a Thursday night, they had 11,000 last night and I'm sure they would be in the 20s for a Sunday game.

EDIT. Just found out that the RNC has the Trop rented out for a Pre-Convention Bash on Sunday so there we go.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Looking at their schedule last night (Thursday) would have made more sense. They do draw more on Sundays than on a Thursday night, they had 11,000 last night and I'm sure they would be in the 20s for a Sunday game.

EDIT. Just found out that the RNC has the Trop rented out for a Pre-Convention Bash on Sunday so there we go.

Ahh, thanks.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:37 PM

EDIT. Just found out that the RNC has the Trop rented out for a Pre-Convention Bash on Sunday so there we go.It's a bad sign that a major league team can be booted from its stadium because a group rented it out, but then again, nobody said the Rays were in a good situation.

I want to say there was a team last year who had a weekend day scheduled off, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe the Braves?

mrfourni
08-24-2012, 11:22 PM
It's a bad sign that a major league team can be booted from its stadium because a group rented it out, but then again, nobody said the Rays were in a good situation.

I want to say there was a team last year who had a weekend day scheduled off, but I'm not 100% sure. Maybe the Braves?

I don't think it's a bad sign for tb. It's a bad sign that MLB schedule makers continue to be so inflexible or inept that they can't schedule the rays to be on the road when I'm sure they knew the trop would be unavailable this Sunday ahead of time.

DumpJerry
08-25-2012, 07:43 AM
We've had two weekends with the Sox and Cubs on the road this season. One of them was the weekend of the Air and Water Show. Selig is a moron.

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2012, 08:29 AM
It's a bad sign that a major league team can be booted from its stadium because a group rented it out, but then again, nobody said the Rays were in a good situation.

This is like what came first, the chicken or the egg. The Rays due to MLB rules could not play Sunday as it would be 20 days without a day off, so was the RNC able to rent the Trop because the Rays were off, sounds like that might be the case.

Steelrod
08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
This is like what came first, the chicken or the egg. The Rays due to MLB rules could not play Sunday as it would be 20 days without a day off, so was the RNC able to rent the Trop because the Rays were off, sounds like that might be the case.
Sced. done a year ago, the convention 4 years ago. Might as well do 20 in a row since sunday has to be a day off.

doublem23
08-25-2012, 01:01 PM
We've had two weekends with the Sox and Cubs on the road this season. One of them was the weekend of the Air and Water Show. Selig is a moron.

Chicago is one of the few cities in the Majors that has the transportation infrastructure to handle simultaneous events like that.

DSpivack
08-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Chicago is one of the few cities in the Majors that has the transportation infrastructure to handle simultaneous events like that.

I was out and about that sunday, as some food wholesale warehouse near Fulton Market had a sale and I went from there, through downtown to the Drive, parked near Montrose Beach without a problem, watched the Blue Angels, getting back to Evanston for a BBQ just before 5. It was fine.

Lamp81
08-25-2012, 03:31 PM
If the Rays couldn't have been scheduled on the road for this weekend, they could have moved this series to Orlando, like they have done in the past.

I would seriously consider a family weekend trip to Disney World to see the White Sox play the Rays there. I'm sure many other fanbases would as well. Maybe the future for the Rays should be at Disney World, with Disney paying to upgrade the stadium there.

If they didn't want to use Orlando they could have also scheduled another series in Puerto Rico, like the Expos used to.