PDA

View Full Version : Chicago baseball "doubleheaders" this weekend - anyone else doing it?

kittle42
08-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Strangely, for the second weekend in the last three, the Cubs and Sox are in town at the same time. Tomorrow, my 11 friends and I are doing the Cubs game at noon and Sox at 6. We try to do this every season there is an overlap weekend like this.

Anyone else taking in both games?

Side note - White, Raley, Beavan, Quintana. Sox have the best starter going all day. :D:

DeadMoney
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Strangely, for the second weekend in the last three, the Cubs and Sox are in town at the same time. Tomorrow, my 11 friends and I are doing the Cubs game at noon and Sox at 6. We try to do this every season there is an overlap weekend like this.

Anyone else taking in both games?

Side note - White, Raley, Beavan, Quintana. Sox have the best starter going all day. :D:

Saw this on the schedule about a month or two ago and would've liked to, but I'll unfortunately be in Vegas in about 11 hours (for the weekend). :redneck

Two weekends ago the games were a bit too tight with the 3:05/6:10 starts. This weekend, the timing works out really well (especially if you plan on hanging around the Wrigleyville area for an hour or two before taking the Red Line down to the Cell).

Living a block from Wrigley, I'd probably take in the Cubs game and trek back to my place for an hour or two of grilling - and continued drinking - before making the trip down to the Cell. Oh well, in typical fashion when talking anything Cubs: There's always next year!

kittle42
08-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Sadly, I won't be imbibing this year (on a bit of a health binge before the marathon) - which means I get to babysit 11 guys who will be tanked by the 7th inning stretch of game 1.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Just don't pull an Eric Dybas and it will all be good.

Lip

amsteel
08-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Yep, doing the same thing with a concert at Metro after the Sox game.

TomBradley72
08-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Can't this time- would be hard for me to make it through an entire Cubs game.

On a side note- I did once pull off a day/night doubleheader- afternoon game at Comerica Park in Detroit, then a night game in Cleveland.

I've been trying to do a Brewers/White Sox doubleheader- but haven't been able to pull it off-

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Can't this time- would be hard for me to make it through an entire Cubs game.

On a side note- I did once pull off a day/night doubleheader- afternoon game at Comerica Park in Detroit, then a night game in Cleveland.

I've been trying to do a Brewers/White Sox doubleheader- but haven't been able to pull it off-

That Detroit/Cleveland DH sounds ambitious, that's what, a 3-hour drive or so in between? Indians-Pirates sounds doable, as well.

I've never done a Sox-Cubs DH, that'd be fun.

Sox-Brewers also sounds good, as does Nats-O's (or Phillies), Yankees-Mets, Angels-Dodgers (or Padres with either one), or Giants-A's.

All except the Chicago (or Cubs-Brewers) series might be harder to do as most teams play at night.

amsteel
08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
I've also done a Yankees-Phillies day-nighter (with a Red Sox game the night before) and a 3 day Cleveland-Pittsburgh-Detroit trip. Lots of fun!

TomBradley72
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
That Detroit/Cleveland DH sounds ambitious, that's what, a 3-hour drive or so in between?

Yep- I had to cheat a little bit- left the Tigers game after the 7th-

amsteel
09-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Due to the make-up game, the DH is possible tomorrow, again. Anyone going for it?

Since both games are dirt cheap I'm thinking about ditching school and going for it.

DrCrawdad
09-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Due to the make-up game, the DH is possible tomorrow, again. Anyone going for it?

Since both games are dirt cheap I'm thinking about ditching school and going for it.

I saw that StubHub had close to 5,000 tickets available for the Cubs game today with some less than a quarter each.

jfinsocal
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
If anyone pulled this off today they are very drunk or stupidly hardcore!

The Immigrant
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM

I attempted to pull it off but gave up on the Cub game around 9:30.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2012, 10:31 PM

Have they called the game yet?

JB98
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Have they called the game yet?

Supposedly, they're gonna start at 10:40. I'm sure the stands will be full. They always are at Wrigley.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Supposedly, they're gonna start at 10:40. I'm sure the stands will be full. They always are at Wrigley.

Wow! If I lived closer to the ballpark I would actually head over there and watch.

DrCrawdad
09-17-2012, 10:36 PM

There were 5,000 tickets available on StubHub this afternoon, some as low as 15 cents per ticket, many for under $2. If they start the game, see how often they show the stands.

WhiteSox5187
09-17-2012, 10:48 PM
It looks like they closed the upper deck. There was a Sox game several years ago that started at 10 that I remember leaving my house for at around 9:30. I love these games, I think it would be a neat stunt to schedule a game around that time.

amsteel
09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I attempted to pull it off but gave up on the Cub game around 9:30.

Same here. Was in the bleachers for BP, left when it was clear the game wasn't starting on time with the plan of hanging out at a bar with a friend til they announced a start time and scalping 2 cheap seats.

Waited around til 1015 and headed home. Had I not sat thru one game already today I may have waited longer.

roylestillman
09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Same here. Was in the bleachers for BP, left when it was clear the game wasn't starting on time with the plan of hanging out at a bar with a friend til they announced a start time and scalping 2 cheap seats.

Waited around til 1015 and headed home. Had I not sat thru one game already today I may have waited longer.

Me three waited until about 10:00, but given dwindling public transportation options I had to head home. Cubs and/or umpires should be ashamed of starting the game this late.

On th other hand, the front end of the double-header was worth the price of both admissions.

This is my second try at a Sox/Cubs doubleheader. The last time was the year both Opening Days were on the same day. Cubs were rained out that night.

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2012, 12:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, I turned the game on MLBTV a couple of minutes ago. Since I never watch Cubs games, this is a legitimate question. Are the lights that crappy there, or is it something about the way the cameras are placed at Wrigley? It really looks dark there. The lights look better at the Mankato Moondogs Northwoods League games.

WhiteSox5187
09-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Just out of curiosity, I turned the game on MLBTV a couple of minutes ago. Since I never watch Cubs games, this is a legitimate question. Are the lights that crappy there, or is it something about the way the cameras are placed at Wrigley? It really looks dark there. The lights look better at the Mankato Moondogs Northwoods League games.

The lights at Wrigley are awful. At least on TV, maybe it's okay in the field but on TV it looks awful.

DrCrawdad
09-18-2012, 12:33 AM

I bet the lights are better on the stands when there are 30k+.

Frater Perdurabo
09-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Could that be because Wrigley does not have lights mounted above the outfield; as the four light standards are located on top of the roof along the first and third base grandstands? From the perspective of a camera mounted in CF, everything would be back-lit.

SaltyPretzel
09-18-2012, 06:29 AM
Could that be because Wrigley does not have lights mounted above the outfield; as the four light standards are located on top of the roof along the first and third base grandstands? From the perspective of a camera mounted in CF, everything would be back-lit.

Yes, but they didn't want to put lights in the outfield because it would ruin the sanctity of the Bud Light Bleachers.

Frater Perdurabo
09-18-2012, 07:49 AM
Yes, but they didn't want to put lights in the outfield because it would ruin the sanctity of the Bud Light Bleachers.

The rooftop owners also would have sued to prevent the light towers from obstructing their views.

cub killer
09-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I've read sportswriters wax romantic over the wrigley field lighting, saying it gives the games "character" and a unique feel.