PDA

View Full Version : Youkilis to play in 2013 WBC

gobears1987
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.haaretz.com/news/sports/u-s-baseball-star-youkilis-planning-to-join-israel-team-in-world-classic-1.460296

I have to say, I really love this choice. :D:

What other Sox players have said they will participate in the WBC?

I'll have to buy his jersey if they sell it over here.

soltrain21
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I forgot the WBC existed.

DumpJerry
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
What's the difference between a "former MLB player" and a "retired player?":scratch:

gobears1987
08-23-2012, 02:57 PM
What's the difference between a "former MLB player" and a "retired player?":scratch:

Former MLB players could refer to someone who has been demoted to the minors or still harbors hopes of making a comeback (as many players have done after siting out a year)

Ausmus of course officially retired though so the wording is a head scratcher. Remember the author of a Haaretz English article is not writing in his mother tongue.

hoosiersoxfan
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Since Israel is allowing American born Jews to play for the team they are capable of fielding a pretty good team if those players choose to play for them.

Youkilis, Kinsler, and Braun would be a pretty decent top of the lineup.

gobears1987
08-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Since Israel is allowing American born Jews to play for the team they are capable of fielding a pretty good team if those players choose to play for them.

It's not a good enough team to win it all, but it's a good enough team to get out of the qualifying rounds.

mcp5185
08-23-2012, 05:03 PM

It would be a pretty decent top three, but both Braun and Kinsler could end up playing for the United States. I don't know their personal preferences but both would likely start on Team USA.

amsteel
08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Israel will have to qualify next month in Florida for the tournament proper in order for Youkilis to play in the WBC in March.

Unless he plans on ditching the Sox the last week in September.