PDA

View Full Version : Nice article about AJ and his reputation

ChiSoxGal85
08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
on Sportillustrated.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ben_reiter/08/23/pierzynski/index.html

Red Barchetta
08-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Nice article. I like AJ. I hope the SOX re-sign him, even if he starts splitting more games with Flowers.

FielderJones
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Any conversation about his malfeasance will include mention of the time he ran to first base on a third strike that was incorrectly ruled to have hit the dirt in the 2005 ALCS, directly leading to a controversial win for the White Sox, and of the time he was punched in the face by Cubs catcher Michael Barrett in '06.

Seriously? SI has done a Zapruder film analysis on 2005 ALCS game 2 9th inning? I've never seen any conclusive evidence that Eddings ruled incorrectly. Bias much, SI?

DickAllen72
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Seriously? SI has done a Zapruder film analysis on 2005 ALCS game 2 9th inning? I've never seen any conclusive evidence that Eddings ruled incorrectly. Bias much, SI?
That ball did hit the dirt, as replays proved.

Anyway, AJ has been one of the most valuable players the Sox have had over the past eight seasons and they definitely should sign him for a few more years. He should finish his playing caerer with the White Sox and then take over in the broadcast booth after that, or remain with the organization in some capacity.

Madvora
08-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Nice article. I like AJ. I hope the SOX re-sign him, even if he starts splitting more games with Flowers.

I'm sure many of us hated his guts on the Twins, but I couldn't imagine him ending up somewhere else. It seems like anybody getting to the end of their contract on this team has to leave (with the exception of PK.) Sign the guy again. He belongs here.

Flight #24
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
My immense respect for AJ was lessened just a tad after reading that. Longtime friends with Joey Fatone of N'Sync?
:shakehead::puking:

ohiosoxfan
08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
His mother's last name is Harrelson?????
Is there any relation as Hawk always talks about AJ's high school days?
Never heard of a connection before.

GlassSox
08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I enjoyed reading the article. I appreciate AJ's contribution to the Sox and I hope that he is here again next year.

bunkaroo
08-23-2012, 04:31 PM
AJ and I both have Legos! :redneck

I love them referring to his $3000 Lego Millennium Falcon. Thing was $500 when it was released - guess he had to go to Ebay.

Great article.

Red Barchetta
08-23-2012, 05:22 PM
I imagine if AJ had played for the Twins the majority of his career, I would have similar feelings towards him as other fans in other cities. However I gained a respect for him in SF when he stood up to Bonds clubhouse antics. Obviously, the Giants organization was going to choose Bonds, however I'm the glad the SOX picked him up. My second favorite all-time catcher for the SOX behind Fisk.

Zakath
08-23-2012, 07:04 PM
He left out a few cities where he gets loud boos, like every place in MLB not called The Cell.

I think he thrives on it anyway.

One statement in there is certain - without him, no way we win the title in 2005.

ChiSoxGal85
08-23-2012, 07:10 PM
He left out a few cities where he gets loud boos, like every place in MLB not called The Cell.

I think he thrives on it anyway.
:rolling:

Rightly or wrongly, being a "bad boy" has become who AJ is. I'm glad he's on the Sox and I hope he finishes his playing career here. And I'll bet he does TV when he's done playing. Hmmmm...can you see him replacing Hawk?? Or Stone? :D:

DickAllen72
08-23-2012, 07:38 PM
I never understood why the Twins fans boo him so much. He played well for them, didn't want to leave and the Twins got a huge haul for him in the trade. Rumour even had it that when he was with the Giants he used to still follow the Twins games.

DSpivack
08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
I never understood why the Twins fans boo him so much. He played well for them, didn't want to leave and the Twins got a huge haul for him in the trade. Rumour even had it that when he was with the Giants he used to still follow the Twins games.

Joe Nathan struggled last year with Texas but is doing fine this year.

Boof Bonser never stuck in the majors.

But the White Sox do have AJ and Liriano. :tongue:

Bob Roarman
08-23-2012, 08:17 PM
I never understood why the Twins fans boo him so much. He played well for them, didn't want to leave and the Twins got a huge haul for him in the trade.

That and the Twins had Joe Mauer coming up.

DumpJerry
08-23-2012, 09:53 PM
His mother's last name is Harrelson?????
Is there any relation as Hawk always talks about AJ's high school days?
Never heard of a connection before.
:hawk
Who's your daddy?

I was at a game once when we were playing the Twins a few years ago. They were doing their ritualistic booing of A.J. every time his was mentioned. I finally turned to one of them and asked him why do they boo him when he was traded for Nathan and Liriano (who were studs at the time for the Twins). I pointed out that he did not leave the via free agency like Thome did the Indians. The guy looked at me with a blank look, shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know. We just do it."

Deep thinking.....

johnny bench
08-23-2012, 10:32 PM
When listing reasons why AJ is so hated in MLB, I fully expected this one to be brought up again... (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/major-league-baseball/31648-j-pierzynski-stomps-over-aaron-boone.html)

Brian26
08-24-2012, 12:05 AM
:hawk
Who's your daddy?

This is all coming together now. AJ was born in December of 1976. Was Hawk in Winter Haven Florida as a Red Sox announcer in March of '76?

http://chicagorants.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/luke-skywalker-noooooo.jpg

Noneck
08-24-2012, 12:14 AM

Funny you brought this up. As I read the article I was thinking what would happen if AJ signed with the Twins after this season. Im sure the 1st game back he would be cheered but I wonder if later he would be booed. I know its different leaving as a FA than being traded but it still makes me wonder.

Lamp81
08-24-2012, 12:37 AM

I too hope the Sox re-sign him. He was geting a lot of DH time, when PK was on the disabled list. That is a risky move when you only carry 2 catchers on the roster.

I remember when the Sox would carry 3 catchers in the 80s when they had Fisk, Marc Hill, and Marv Foley. Don't see many teams with 3 catchers, as they'd rather have another arm in the bullpen.

It would be nice to have a super-sub who could also catch, if needed, a la Jake Fox. Then you could really pro-long AJs career by using him as DH. Of course certain former GMs would try and put him in LF, like Hawk did with Fisk.

RadioheadRocks
08-24-2012, 10:35 PM
I too hope the Sox re-sign him. He was geting a lot of DH time, when PK was on the disabled list. That is a risky move when you only carry 2 catchers on the roster.

I remember when the Sox would carry 3 catchers in the 80s when they had Fisk, Marc Hill, and Marv Foley. Don't see many teams with 3 catchers, as they'd rather have another arm in the bullpen.

It would be nice to have a super-sub who could also catch, if needed, a la Jake Fox. Then you could really pro-long AJs career by using him as DH. Of course certain former GMs would try and put him in LF, like Hawk did with Fisk.

Or when we had Fisk, Marc Hill and Joel Skinner.

Mingo
08-25-2012, 05:03 PM
AJ is certainly one of my favorite players - he can win you a game in so many different ways - mostly by his focus and quick thinking. I love that he gets booed by the other home teams.

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
AJ is certainly one of my favorite players - he can win you a game in so many different ways - mostly by his focus and quick thinking. I love that he gets booed by the other home teams.

Exactly. I was at the first games the Sox played at AT&T Park in San Francisco back in '08 and they booed AJ mercilessly. I just sat back and said keep it up, he thrives on it! Lo and behold he kicked some major ass that series and the Sox swept the Giants there.

Brian26
08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm trying to figure out how often Lego collector's glue their ships/sets together? That Millenium Falcon is incredible.

EdHerman12
08-27-2012, 06:22 PM
When listing reasons why AJ is so hated in MLB, I fully expected this one to be brought up again... (http://www.motownsports.com/forums/major-league-baseball/31648-j-pierzynski-stomps-over-aaron-boone.html)

THAT was classic! Hey, they should be glad he didn't step on his hand!

AJ FOR LIFE! GO WHITE SOX!