PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-22 Second City? Sale Sweeps Away Yankee Trash 2-1 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
Hope this is a playoff preview!

aryzner
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Sox have been swept twice this year. Sox have responded to said sweeps by coming home and sweeping their very next opponent.

Excellent!

soxnut1018
Cy Sale. And no, that one's not ironic.

guillensdisciple
Thanks frater for making this right away as it should be.

Anyway, awesome. The tigers must be pissed seeing that they can't gain ****.

This team will do great things if they find a way to the playoffs.

all*star quentin
08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
It takes a team to sweep the Yankees. :)

DumpJerry
I never realized the Royals are so good.

OmahaSoxFan
First sweep of the Yanks by a White Sox team in 21 years, YES! Its certainly All Good! What an outing from Chris Sale tonight, simply dominating! 13 K's are you kidding me!?!

Frontman
08-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Win/lose/draw this season?

White Sox, thank you! This has been a great season of baseball!!! Sale has been great, and THANK GOD his agent stepped in and said something to Upper Management.

Woo Hoo!!!!

:bandance:

Frater Perdurabo
Second best birthday present I received today. ;)

Moses_Scurry
Love this team against the big boys of the American League!!

Thank God there is no way they would be up against the Royals in a playoff series!

LA Angels .... no problem!
Texas Rangers .... no problem!
NY Yankees .... no problem!
Tampa Rays .... no problem!

Sweeps against the Yanks are rare, but wonderful when they happen.

Madvora
Look at this pathetic front page on ESPN during the game. They are pretty much opening rooting for the Yankees.

harwar
It's always exciting sweeping any team, but sweeping the yankees is extra-sweet, and in a playoff race yet .. how sweet it is ..

Hendu
08-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Chris Sale is sooo filthy. It's exciting to have our own Stephen Starsburg, but without the hype.

First left hander to strike Ichiro out three times in one game. Wow.

soxnut1018
Look at this pathetic front page on ESPN during the game. They are pretty much opening rooting for the Yankees.

"Oh no! He got him to go!"

vinny
**** yeah!

http://static.lolyard.com/lol/yankee-go-home.jpg

AlleghenySoxFan
What a pitcher, what a team
DSNB :bandance:

Brian26
We got a team.

thomas35forever
Go back to the Bronx, Yankees. We'll see you in the playoffs!:bandance:
:sweep

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Chris Sale is sooo filthy. It's exciting to have our own Stephen Starsburg, but without the hype.

First left hander to strike Ichiro out three times in one game. Wow.

Curt Schilling actually said Sale's delivery was not too stressful on his arm and shoulder, and compared him to Randy Johnson.

palehozenychicty
08-22-2012, 09:43 PM
This is why I'm not going to worry about this team or season until it is done. Every series is different, and the matchups are everything.

Keep it coming, fellas!

voodoochile
08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
That's how you respond to a painful road sweep. Sale was just magnificent. Sox got just enough offense and kept pace with the Kittens. Beating the Yankees is always fun, sweeping them is extra cool. Set em off three times, boys...

:dinger :dinger :dinger

:sweep

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

Brian26
08-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Curt Schilling actually said Sale's delivery was not too stressful on his arm and shoulder, and compared him to Randy Johnson.

Schilling should keep quiet and stick to what he does best....running video game companies into the ground.

GoSox2K3
08-22-2012, 09:45 PM
First sweep of the Yanks by a White Sox team in 21 years, YES! Its certainly All Good! What an outing from Chris Sale tonight, simply dominating! 13 K's are you kidding me!?!

Woohoo! It's high time we swept the Yankees at home. Last time was the first year in New Comiskey!

Oh no!!!!! Poor East Coast teams! :whiner:

samurai_sox
08-22-2012, 09:45 PM

**** ESPN, haven't had that trash in my house since '09.

GlassSox
08-22-2012, 09:46 PM
What a great effort by Chris Sale and with great team support. This was a very good game to watch and I watched with confidence. This whole series was outstanding.

Boondock Saint
08-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Chris Sale is unbelievable. Just a joy to watch him pitch.

cheezheadsoxfan

And the sun rises in the east. :rolleyes:

TomBradley72
Sale dominant
Rios- short and quick
Beckham- nice glove work in the 8th
Reed seems to really be stabilizing and going to the next level
August 22nd- 1st place- 2 games up- coming off sweep of Yankees.

It's really made for a fun summer and hopefully- fall.

Thank you Kenny Williams and Robin Ventura! :gulp:

cheezheadsoxfan
08-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Schilling should keep quiet and stick to what he does best....running video game companies into the ground.

:tiphat:

Soxman219
08-22-2012, 09:57 PM
I didn't know it was 21 years since the Sox swept the Yankees in Chicago! It's over now though. :bandance:
Sale pitching great on a national stage will certainly help his Cy Young bid. So happy for this team!

P.S. **** ESPN

slavko
08-22-2012, 09:58 PM

No sweat, it was other people's money.

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
With the way Gavin started on Monday and to end up with a sweep :o:

WOW.

This team will not die. With that KC series you could have easily excused them if folding the tent with the Yankees. But no.

Amazing.

tstrike2000
08-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Resiliant, a word we haven't been able to say about a White Sox team in quite some time. They play a couple of absolute crap games, but they show a bounce in their step in the next series. That's how you bounce back from playing some of their worst baseball last weekend.

SoxSpeed22
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Baseball is a funny sport. They look like crap against KC and then sweep the Yankees. Nice to have another day to soak this one up. All of a sudden, the Mariners are playing pretty well.

WhiteSox5187
08-22-2012, 10:03 PM

He was probably watching MLB Network 2 months ago when Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams broke down Sale's delivery and compared it to Randy Johnson's and even super imposed it over a clip of Randy Johnson's and they were almost identical.

fram40
08-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Sweeps of the Yankees are always great. God I hate the Yankees and Jeter and Texiera and Sabathia and Girardi. (Just because they're the Yankees)

This season is starting to remind me of 2000. The last time the Sox swept the Yankees. 4 games in the Bronx, right? Just buried them. This season should have a happier ending than 2000 did. Be hard not to.

Agreat great series. Close games, two come from behind wins, great bullpen performances. GO SOX!!

LoveYourSuit
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Baseball is a funny sport. They look like crap against KC and then sweep the Yankees. Nice to have another day to soak this one up. All of a sudden, the Mariners are playing pretty well.

We get to dodge Felix.

No Felix for this series, thank god!

Boondock Saint
08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Sweeps of the Yankees are always great. God I hate the Yankees and Jeter and Texiera and Sabathia and Girardi. (Just because they're the Yankees)

Seeing their fans bitch about the ump and making excuses ad infinitum makes it even sweeter.

fram40
08-22-2012, 10:14 PM
He was probably watching MLB Network 2 months ago when Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams broke down Sale's delivery and compared it to Randy Johnson's and even super imposed it over a clip of Randy Johnson's and they were almost identical.

Seriously? Doesn't surprise me. Other people's money (see above). Other people's ideas.

Probably was somebody else's blood on the sock. I wonder if the PEDs were someone else's too.

shingo10
08-22-2012, 10:15 PM
There is no reason that this team can't win the world series. When they are on they are as good/and or better than anyone.

SCCWS
08-22-2012, 10:18 PM
No sweat, it was other people's money.

Curt is a very hated man in Rhode Island.

Tragg
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
What a performance.
Nice to do it against the Yanks, as ESPN and MLB keep talking about it and showing highlights.

PalehosePlanet
08-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Awesome win and an awesome series. The team is resilient as hell.

Rios and Beckham were our only hitters that could pick up the slants of Phillip Hughes tonight. Thankfully Sale was awesome, the pen did their job, and the two runs were enough.

39 games left boys, it's time to stomp on the gas pedal!

CoopaLoop
08-22-2012, 10:31 PM
It's always appointment television to watch Randy Johnson Lite.

JB98
08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Beckham had a nice series -- five hits, four runs scored, two RBI and good defense.

amsteel
08-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I'll temper it a bit and point out the Sox are 3-3 in their last 6. But 6-4 in the their last 10. Need to maintain at least at 0.600 winning % the rest of the way.

Pound the **** out of Seattle!

central44
08-22-2012, 10:37 PM
There is no reason that this team can't win the world series. When they are on they are as good/and or better than anyone.

*knock on wood*

The only team in the AL that I dread seeing on the schedule is KC. The Sox have had huge success against all the AL contenders this year. They have a legitimate ace in Sale who keeps proving that the title fits him, a borderline ace in Peavy who is overqualified as a number 2, an elite defense, and when on, an explosive offense. When off, they have proven they can win the 2-1 games.

If not for their slow start this year when they played uninspired baseball, the record would be a lot more impressive. Haven't they been the second best in the MLB since May 17th? This is unquestionably an elite team. Granted, a big part of who wins it all in baseball is who is hottest going into October. However, in 2008 we all kind of felt that a division title was the team's ceiling. I think in 2012 the ceiling is a lot higher, and my favorite part is that the "experts" are still sleeping on them even after sweeps of Tampa Bay, Texas, and New York and season-series wins over the latter two.

God this next month is going to be gut-wrenching. I love what this team can do if they get in--but getting in still doesn't seem like a sure thing. Our schedule seems much tougher than Detroit's.

BigKlu59
08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance::gulp::cheers::sweep

Palehose heaven.... Sweeping the dreaded Yankess could not have come at a better time.. Nice rebound after that moribound series against KC. It was great to see the team come together and get the job done..

DSNB's... Its all good!!!!

BK59

ChiSoxGal85
08-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Last three games the Sox have been firing on most cylinders. Keep that up, boys!! :bandance:

The Tigers must be gnashing their teeth. And I like it that way. :D:

balke
08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Reed faced the heart of the Yankees order down by 1 run trying to complete the sweep. Doesn't get much better than that.

Foulke You
08-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Reed faced the heart of the Yankees order down by 1 run trying to complete the sweep. Doesn't get much better than that.

Reed was throwing a wipeout change up tonight that was filthy. If he continues to mix that pitch into his arsenal, he will go from being a solid closer to a lock down closer.

Frontman
08-22-2012, 11:30 PM
The Sox this season are reminding me of what makes sports great. As Vince Lombardi once said,

"But I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has to work his heart out in a good cause and he's exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

Go get 'em, White Sox!!!!

Streets
08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
This was quite the lovely game to be at, and in a group of Yankee fans to boot!

Sale was excellent.
Rios was hitting well all night, I had a feeling he'd knock one out.

All in all, great game.

Also, I found it weird that in addition to Yanks and Sox gear I spotted Red Sox, Phillies, Blue Jays and Tigers gear in the crowd. I never noticed such a random collection of teams at a Sox game before.

VenturaBlvd
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM

I saw that, too. It really was amazing how similar they looked.

Anyway, I hate when great games like this are on Channel 26. I can't see them up here in Milwaukee. :angry:

Crooked Number
08-23-2012, 12:14 AM
This team responds. The sign of a contender. Really hoping the Sox pull this out, claim the division title. I too believe that this club has the makeup that gives it the opportunity to do something special. Got to finish strong.

TommyGavinFloyd
08-23-2012, 12:32 AM
I saw that, too. It really was amazing how similar they looked.

Anyway, I hate when great games like this are on Channel 26. I can't see them up here in Milwaukee. :angry:

Well as someone who doesn't have cable, I eagerly anticipate every game that is on WCIU.

Noneck
08-23-2012, 12:36 AM

I read that the game was on espn2.

voodoochile
08-23-2012, 12:43 AM
I read that the game was on espn2.

and 3...

vinny
08-23-2012, 05:58 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/cmlink/nydn.CoverContent?newsletter=true&ctype=back&cdate=20120823&dt=landscape_315_450

doublem23
08-23-2012, 06:09 AM
Pretty funny to see a New York newspaper refer to ESPN as "blowhards."

Jollyroger2
08-23-2012, 06:52 AM
*knock on wood*

The only team in the AL that I dread seeing on the schedule is KC. The Sox have had huge success against all the AL contenders this year. They have a legitimate ace in Sale who keeps proving that the title fits him, a borderline ace in Peavy who is overqualified as a number 2, an elite defense, and when on, an explosive offense. When off, they have proven they can win the 2-1 games.

If not for their slow start this year when they played uninspired baseball, the record would be a lot more impressive. Haven't they been the second best in the MLB since May 17th? This is unquestionably an elite team. Granted, a big part of who wins it all in baseball is who is hottest going into October. However, in 2008 we all kind of felt that a division title was the team's ceiling. I think in 2012 the ceiling is a lot higher, and my favorite part is that the "experts" are still sleeping on them even after sweeps of Tampa Bay, Texas, and New York and season-series wins over the latter two.

God this next month is going to be gut-wrenching. I love what this team can do if they get in--but getting in still doesn't seem like a sure thing. Our schedule seems much tougher than Detroit's.

4 wins in 11 vs Detroit is huge success?

The lead is two games. That could disappear in a weekend. Of course it's not a sure thing.

I'd be more excited over the Yankee series if they haven't repeatedly blown opportunities against the likes of KC. They win two of three over this past weekend like ideally they should have, and the division lead is four.

They need to take at least 2 of 3 from Seattle, if they can sweep the Yankees they should beat the Mariners handily. Then they have a tough seven game trip. Four against a scrappy Baltimore team that's fighting for a playoff spot (and who already has taken 3 of 4 from the Sox this year) and then three in Detroit. Those seven games are enormous with division and wild card implications.

It's great to say they've done well vs. contenders (which isn't 100% true) but it's balanced out by losing to teams they should be beating. (Going 2-6 vs Boston is an example)

It's been the same story all year, if they play to their potential, they are very hard to beat. When they barely show up anyone can beat them. The schedule is tough but not horrible down the stretch, although there are six games left with those scary Royals.

Frater Perdurabo
08-23-2012, 07:27 AM
I am encouraged that six of our last ten are against the Indians, who we have owned this year, and who hopefully will have given up by then. (Of course, the other four are against the Rays.)

Ultimately, I think the six v. KC and seven v. DET will determine whether or not we win the division.

October26
08-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Woohoo! It's high time we swept the Yankees at home. Last time was the first year in New Comiskey!

Oh no!!!!! Poor East Coast teams! :whiner:

It's amazing that it's been 21 years. Wow - I'm feeling old all of a sudden. I remember that 1991 sweep very well and was having some flashbacks to that 1991 series while watching the game last night.

What a great game last night! Outstanding pitching (Sale, Myers, & Reed) + clutch hitting (Youkilis & Rios) + phenomenal defense (Beckham) = another wonderful White Sox winner. :bliss: I am enjoying watching this Sox team so much right now and continue to dream about the coming of another Soxtober (fingers crossed). GO SOX!

Lip Man 1
08-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Nice win, great series...gets the stink out of what happened in K.C.

Agree with both Frater's and Jolly's last posts.

Lip

doogiec
08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
FWIW, of the five teams that would be in the AL playoffs if the season ended today, four have losing records against the Royals, and the other team, NYY, is only 4-3 vs KC.

Every year there seems to be a team that plays well against playoff teams, but gets demolished by the likes of Seattle and Minnesota. KC is that team this year.

TDog
08-23-2012, 09:55 AM

It's great to say they've done well vs. contenders (which isn't 100% true) but it's balanced out by losing to teams they should be beating. (Going 2-6 vs Boston is an example)

It's been the same story all year, if they play to their potential, they are very hard to beat. When they barely show up anyone can beat them. The schedule is tough but not horrible down the stretch, although there are six games left with those scary Royals.

That is true with just about every team, though, at least this season. You could take that a step further and whine about the Sox going only .500 in interleague play, complared with the Tigers going four games over. That's two games the Tigers picked up on the Sox in their NL games. The Tigers picked up three more in head-to head play.

Right now in the American League, you have the Rangers and Yankees with some breathing room in the standings. then you have the red-hot Rays (since losing another perfect game, they have only lost once, to the Royals at home) a half game ahead of the White Sox and the rest of the contending teams bunched up not far behind them. When the White Sox played the Red Sox, they were considered a contender. In the series at Boston, a couple of guys just got off the DL and the Red Sox were supposed to be poised for a run. But they are contenders no more. When the White Sox played the A's and Orioles early in the season, they were labeled garbage teams by a few here, but they are in that pack with the White Sox.

Win more games against the Royals, and the White Sox have a bigger lead. Win more games in interleague and the White Sox have a bigger lead. The thing is, the reason they have a lead, despite Detroit holding a head-to-head edge, despite the Tigers owning Kansas City earlier in the season, is that if the Sox play down to their competition, so do the Tigers.

But it isn't that the White Sox play down to their competation. The Blue Jays aren't as good these days as the Royals, and the Sox took the series in Toronto (facing a team that may well be swept this week in Detroit). Certainly the Sox played better in Toronto, but those games weren't at the end of a roadtrip. The Royals had a 12-game losing streak early in the season that buried them in the standings. As bad as their pitching was early in the season, in the AL only the Angels, A's and Rays have pitched more shutouts than the Royals.

The reality is that this year the American League is a very competitive league. That is one of the reasons the White Sox, who many dismissed in February, March and April, this week look like a better team than the Yankees, who now have the second best record in the league, the team with the current best record having been swept in their Chicago series this summer.

Under the pre-division set-up, this season could be 1967 all over again.

Chez
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Fun summer. Really looking forward to watching this team compete in September (and beyond). The Tigers aren't going away. I believe we can do it.

TomBradley72
08-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I just can't over analyze the whole "strength of schedule" stuff going forward or the angst over losing to an up and coming Royals team (the post all star break version with a great young catcher and an arm throwing 100 mph for the 8th inning is an improved team).

We're in a dogfight to the last week of the season- probably the tightest pennant race in my time as a fan (1971+)- so it's time to cinch it up, strap it down, and enjoy the day by day roller coaster ride of a tight September pennant race between some evenly matched teams.

I don't know how it's going to turn out- but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be proud of this team and Robin Ventura when it's over-

TomBradley72
08-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Under the pre-division set-up, this season could be 1967 all over again.

Yep- based on winning percentage this team (on pace for 90 wins) is right there with the 1967 team.

To put it in perspective with some other recent seasons-

2012 Winning Percentage- .553 (#31 franchise history)
1967- .549
1977- .556
2006- .556
2008- .546
2010- .543

hawkjt
08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I just can't over analyze the whole "strength of schedule" stuff going forward or the angst over losing to an up and coming Royals team (the post all star break version with a great young catcher and an arm throwing 100 mph for the 8th inning is an improved team).

We're in a dogfight to the last week of the season- probably the tightest pennant race in my time as a fan (1971+)- so it's time to cinch it up, strap it down, and enjoy the day by day roller coaster ride of a tight September pennant race between some evenly matched teams.

I don't know how it's going to turn out- but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be proud of this team and Robin Ventura when it's over-

Agree. There are no ''garbage'' teams in this league,only garbage stretches for teams. The M's have won 8 in a row,with the best record in the AL since the All Star break. They are 7 out of a wildcard and are certain they can get there....just like every team except for KC,Twins,Tribe,and Jays... every series is a potential pitfall for any contending team.

Sale has been tremendous...his maturity is amazing,along with his stuff.
Rios has been the steady presence all year long,except for the KC series,and we saw the result...most steady performer.
Gordo has been clutch this week....keep it going!
Addison Reed has been growing into his role more and more,and is a stud closer in the making...overlooked at this point,but that is fine.

Wonderful season...this series is another chapter in an exciting year...I want this team to play in the postseason so bad...they have earned that.
But, no letdowns are allowed...long 6 weeks to go...Go Sox!!

SoxChic5
08-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Super glad they swept the Yankees! Watching the KC series was painful and I know they are so much better than that performance. The last 3 games proved they are more than capable! :bandance:

russ99
08-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I hope this series sweep gets the team on a big-time roll, since the upcoming schedule looks a bit tough.

3 vs. Mariners - on an 8 game win streak, but we miss Felix, then 4 at Baltimore - where we have done poorly in recent years.

September starts with 3 at Detroit; 3 vs. Minnesota and KC, 4 vs. Detroit; 3 at Minnesota and KC.

The Sox record against KC and Detroit is poor this year: 8-15. We're 9-3 against the Twins, but they've always been a thorn in our side.

I'd feel a lot better with a 5 game lead...

Lip Man 1
08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Tom:

The big difference (and I do mean big) between now and 1967 is that the winner went to the World Series...everyone else went to the golf course.

Now if you don't win the division you still have a chance, two actually, at a wild card.

There will never truly be another 1967 again.

Lip

Hitmen77
08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
FWIW, of the five teams that would be in the AL playoffs if the season ended today, four have losing records against the Royals, and the other team, NYY, is only 4-3 vs KC.

Every year there seems to be a team that plays well against playoff teams, but gets demolished by the likes of Seattle and Minnesota. KC is that team this year.

My big problem with the Sox .333 winning pct vs. the Royals isn't that I think KC garbage or that we should never have losing records vs. sub .500 teams. It's that we have 6 games left with the Royals and 7 games left vs. the Tigers (against whom we are 4-7).

Unless the Sox can do better head to head vs. these two teams, our play against them from here out out might be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

downstairs
08-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Good job, guys... now lets take care of Detroit for good over the next few weeks.