PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Gonzalez placed on Trade Waivers

#1swisher
08-22-2012, 07:47 PM
MLB Trade Rumors

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-place-adrian-gonzalez-on-trade-waivers.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DonnieDarko
08-22-2012, 07:51 PM
...what the ****...

DSpivack
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Many players are placed on waivers in August. Not sure why this is news.

CoopaLoop
08-22-2012, 08:25 PM
I'd give up Dayan Viciedo up for him. Dead serious.

DSpivack
08-22-2012, 08:29 PM

And why would Boston do that?

Brian26
08-22-2012, 08:30 PM

Funny. I'm not trolling you at all with this response, but I wouldn't take him tomorrow if the Red Sox gave him to us for no compensation other than assuming his entire contract.

I'm just basing this on the current Sox payroll and the position he plays. I think $21 million a year for a first baseman is a waste of resources.

Moses_Scurry
08-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Many players are placed on waivers in August. Not sure why this is news.

Must be the little red 'B' on the hat

#1swisher
08-24-2012, 11:58 AM
L.A. Times Sports
Dodgers' interest in Adrian Gonzalez shows off their financial clout.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-0824-dodgers-20120824,0,7881513.story

Outfielder Carl Crawford has cleared waivers. Pitcher Josh Beckett was put on waivers Thursday and also is expected to go unclaimed.

kittle42
08-24-2012, 12:12 PM
I bet a lot of our guys are on trade waivers, too. Another annoying non-new item that is somehow "news" every year, as much as "Baseball thrown toward home plate; batter swings" would be news.

#1swisher
08-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Jon Lester and Jacoby Ellsbury are the latest Red Sox to be placed on trade waivers.

guillensdisciple
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Jon Lester and Jacoby Ellsbury are the latest Red Sox to be placed on trade waivers.

I'd take them. De Aza for jacoby and uhhhh danks for Lester?

#1swisher
08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
MLB Trade Rumors
Dodgers Awarded Claiming Rights On Adrian Gonzalez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/dodgers-awarded-claiming-rights-on-adrian-gonzalez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DumpJerry
08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I thought all of this was confidential unless a deal is struck?

Carl Crawford is having Tommy John, who would take him?

TDog
08-24-2012, 04:20 PM
MLB Trade Rumors
Dodgers Awarded Claiming Rights On Adrian Gonzalez

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/dodgers-awarded-claiming-rights-on-adrian-gonzalez.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Unless the rules have changed, for the Dodgers to have claimed him, every team in the American League would have had to pass on Gonzalez.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Unless the rules have changed, for the Dodgers to have claimed him, every team in the American League would have had to pass on Gonzalez.

Apparently they did.

I'm surprised Detroit didn't make a play for him. Gonzalez plays outfield now, right?

doublem23
08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Apparently they did.

I'm surprised Detroit didn't make a play for him. Gonzalez plays outfield now, right?

I'm guessing they didn't actually think anyone would put a claim in on him. Risky business to be claiming a guy owed $126 million over the next 6 seasons.

Brian26
08-24-2012, 05:24 PM
I thought all of this was confidential unless a deal is struck.?

In recent years the waiver claims have been leaked. I recall knowing ahead of time when the Sox picked up Manny in 2010 and Rios in 2009.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Dodgers and Red Sox are involved in trade discussions for Gonzales. They said L.A. tried to get him at the July 31st deadline but were unable to.

Story quotes a source as saying (paraphrasing) 'something is going on but I can't believe this is happening...'

Looks like the Red Sox are going to possibly blow the whole thing up. Wonder how Theo feels? LOL.

Lip

doublem23
08-24-2012, 05:32 PM
The real culprit seems to be Valentine, who ran Youkilis out of town and now apparently Gonzalez.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 05:44 PM
ESPN.com is reporting that the Dodgers and Red Sox are involved in trade discussions for Gonzales. They said L.A. tried to get him at the July 31st deadline but were unable to.

Story quotes a source as saying (paraphrasing) 'something is going on but I can't believe this is happening...'

Looks like the Red Sox are going to possibly blow the whole thing up. Wonder how Theo feels? LOL.

Lip

Supposedly the Dodgers have also claimed Josh Beckett.

EDIT: Add Crawford and Punto to that potential deal. Wow.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-sources-say

CHISOXFAN13
08-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Apparently they did.

Not very well.

That's an awfully big outfield to boot.

Foulke You
08-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Supposedly the Dodgers have also claimed Josh Beckett.

EDIT: Add Crawford and Punto to that potential deal. Wow.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/8300112/adrian-gonzalez-carl-crawford-josh-beckett-nearing-boston-red-sox-exit-sources-say
Adding Beckett to the deal to get Gonzalez is one thing but if the Dodgers take that Crawford contract too, they are bat**** insane. I know they are anxious to win with the new ownership but wow. Crawford is hurt and declining and owed 20+ million per year through 2017!! If the Red Sox pull this off, they are in great shape to rebuild that team next year.

#1swisher
08-24-2012, 06:54 PM
The two sides were close Friday to a trade that would send Gonzalez, Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to the Dodgers, a source told FOX Sports, Jon Paul Morosi. Those four players are owed more than $270 million.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/boston-red-sox-los-angeles-dodgers-adrian-gonzalez-082412

TDog
08-24-2012, 07:07 PM
This is either a new ownership with money trying to buy a championship and the Red Sox taking advantage of them, the new group with money overreacting to being swept rather handily by the Giants this week or the new group going out and getting things done. In baseball, they say, the best trades are often the ones you don't make.

I thought at first that the Dodgers were blocking Gonzalez from going to the Giants, but it appears to have gone beyond that. In any case, the Red Sox are in the position of a team being looted, not unlike the White Sox were 15 seasons ago.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 07:19 PM
This is either a new ownership with money trying to buy a championship and the Red Sox taking advantage of them, the new group with money overreacting to being swept rather handily by the Giants this week or the new group going out and getting things done. In baseball, they say, the best trades are often the ones you don't make.

I thought at first that the Dodgers were blocking Gonzalez from going to the Giants, but it appears to have gone beyond that. In any case, the Red Sox are in the position of a team being looted, not unlike the White Sox were 15 seasons ago.

Supposedly there are two separate deals now (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-dodgers-discussing-blockbuster.html), one involving Gonzalez and Beckett, and another involving Crawford and others.

Gonzalez and Punto have been scratched from the lineup, so it seems that first deal will go down tonight. The Dodgers would be dumb to do the second one, IMHO.

EDIT II: James Loney has been scratched from the lineup for the Dodgers.

TommyGavinFloyd
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
I bet a lot of our guys are on trade waivers, too. Another annoying non-new item that is somehow "news" every year, as much as "Baseball thrown toward home plate; batter swings" would be news.

Yeah, except for the whole Dodgers/Red Sox mega-deal thing. But no that's not news.

What's really annoying is people going into posts and then complaining about their existence.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/red-sox-dodgers-discussing-blockbuster.html

Rubby de la Rosa, James Loney, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus, and Allen Webster are headed to Boston.

Deal not expected to be completed tonight.

Crawford has a limited no-trade clause, and Beckett has 10/5 rights.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, except for the whole Dodgers/Red Sox mega-deal thing. But no that's not news.

What's really annoying is people going into posts and then complaining about their existence.

Trade waiver themselves are routine and are not a big deal.

Mega deals, are.

People were posting about waivers not being a big deal before this proposed trade came about, and I don't suspect anyone really predicted this.

VenturaFan23
08-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow, Boston completely washing their hands of those ****ty contracts.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 08:10 PM

That they're unloading Crawford and Beckett seems like a no-brainer, but I don't know why the Dodgers would want to take on Crawford's awful contract, nor do I get why the Red Sox would be so quick to unload Adrian Gonzalez.

PaleHoser
08-24-2012, 08:19 PM
That they're unloading Crawford and Beckett seems like a no-brainer, but I don't know why the Dodgers would want to take on Crawford's awful contract, nor do I get why the Red Sox would be so quick to unload Adrian Gonzalez.

Guessing the Red Sox price for Gonzalez would be to take one bad contract or possibly both.

If I were them, I'd try to get them to take John Lackey too. I know he's coming off Tommy John and can't pitch, but shoot for the moon.

Hitmen77
08-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Lip

Theo handed out some ****ty contracts? Unpossible!

soxinem1
08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I cannot ever recall this many key players being moved from one team to another team this late in the year.

I'd almost be tempted to let LAD have Beckett and Gonzalez on the waiver claims.

mzh
08-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Wow. Just wow. Can't recall the last time we've seen a team blow up like this this late in the season.

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I cannot ever recall this many key players being moved from one team to another team this late in the year.

I'd almost be tempted to let LAD have Beckett and Gonzalez on the waiver claims.

If you can get them to take Crawford as well, you do it.

I wonder how much cash Boston is sending west.

Guessing the Red Sox price for Gonzalez would be to take one bad contract or possibly both.

If I were them, I'd try to get them to take John Lackey too. I know he's coming off Tommy John and can't pitch, but shoot for the moon.

You might be right.

sullythered
08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Hawk just said Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez owed $262 million. :o:

DSpivack
08-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Hawk just said Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez owed $262 million. :o:

Don't forget Punto's $1.5 million in 2013.

The Dodgers will get some money back from Boston, but I doubt it'll be much to put in a dent in something that big.

Also, LA had $135 million on the books (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tBbMgiEHXYczpjt0I7dajQQ&output=html) for 2013 before this trade.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2012, 10:27 PM
That they're unloading Crawford and Beckett seems like a no-brainer, but I don't know why the Dodgers would want to take on Crawford's awful contract, nor do I get why the Red Sox would be so quick to unload Adrian Gonzalez.Gonzalez and Crawford were the huge signings/trade which were supposed to make the Red Sox the best team ever. For that reason, I guess they see him as a symbol of their epic collapse last year and their failure this year. I think they want to completely rinse their hands of all the players who they feel made a negative atmosphere.

palehozenychicty
08-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Gonzalez and Crawford were the huge signings/trade which were supposed to make the Red Sox the best team ever. For that reason, I guess they see him as a symbol of their epic collapse last year and their failure this year. I think they want to completely rinse their hands of all the players who they feel made a negative atmosphere.

Neither of those guys fit into the Red Sox culture. It could be a good trade for everyone involved if you look beyond the dollars. Beckett goes back to the NL and away from the Boston fishbowl. Hell, they could deal him again in the offseason if they need to do so.

Soxman219
08-25-2012, 01:32 AM
The Dodgers ownership are really doing this? Wow. Will the Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball if this happens?

DSpivack
08-25-2012, 02:09 AM
The Dodgers ownership are really doing this? Wow. Will the Dodgers have the highest payroll in baseball if this happens?

After the deal goes through, they'll have $189 million on the books for 2013, by my count.

While the Yankees have a $209 million this season, they "only" have $119 million in contracts for 2013 right now.*

*Not including possible arbitration figures for Phil Hughes, Casey McGehee, Brett Gardner, Boone Logan, Joba Chamberlain, and David Robertson. Also not including a $15 million club option on Robinson Cano, or a $13 million club option on Curtis Granderson; it does include the buy-outs for the two of them at $2 mil apiece.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2012, 02:15 AM
This trade really pisses me off. Not only do the Red Sox get to wash their hands of those horse **** deals, they get prospects in return. They get to take mulligans on franchise crippling deals. The Yankees and Jays have to be fuming. God, I hate the Red Sox.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2012, 02:26 AM
This trade really pisses me off. Not only do the Red Sox get to wash their hands of those horse **** deals, they get prospects in return. They get to take mulligans on franchise crippling deals. The Yankees and Jays have to be fuming. God, I hate the Red Sox.Anything that pisses of the Yankees is a good thing.

DSpivack
08-25-2012, 02:30 AM
This trade really pisses me off. Not only do the Red Sox get to wash their hands of those horse **** deals, they get prospects in return. They get to take mulligans on franchise crippling deals. The Yankees and Jays have to be fuming. God, I hate the Red Sox.

Meh, they're still giving up on a pretty good player in Adrian Gonzalez (even if he's overpaid). And it's not like the prospects they're receiving are anything great, from what I understand. They don't have a lot to build on, though yeah, they do have the money to do so.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2012, 02:37 AM
Meh, they're still giving up on a pretty good player in Adrian Gonzalez (even if he's overpaid). And it's not like the prospects they're receiving are anything great, from what I understand. They don't have a lot to build on, though yeah, they do have the money to do so.

Crawford might be the worst contract in baseball and paying 20+ M for a 1st baseman is a stupid way to allocate resources.

With all the money the Yankees and the Red Sox have open, this off season could be crazy and skew the value of players for everyone else as a result.

DSpivack
08-25-2012, 03:23 AM
Crawford might be the worst contract in baseball and paying 20+ M for a 1st baseman is a stupid way to allocate resources.

With all the money the Yankees and the Red Sox have open, this off season could be crazy and skew the value of players for everyone else as a result.

Yeah, I get that the Dodgers want to be a big player and their TV contract offers them the ability to do so, but this just seems reckless. There's a reason why Boston wanted to part with those contracts.

doublem23
08-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Yeah, I get that the Dodgers want to be a big player and their TV contract offers them the ability to do so, but this just seems reckless. There's a reason why Boston wanted to part with those contracts.

Part of that is also the personality clash between some of these guys (Gonzalez, most notably, and maybe Beckett, I think) and the Cherington/Valentine duo that is now firmly in control of the Red Sox, I'd assume, for better or worse. Crawford's just a guy who needed a fresh start. Going from the obscurity of Tampa Bay to the hypercircus of Boston and the weight of such a massive deal seems to have killed him.

gosox41
08-25-2012, 03:37 AM

If I'm a Red Sox fan, I'm thrilled. A last place team gets to trade 3 huge contracts and gets prospects in return for them. Even if the prospects aren't highly rated (though I thought one was for their #2 pitching prospect) the idea of having $60 MM freed up in each of the next 4 years to add free agents is a big enough bonus. They can get younger, healthier, and be better off financially in one deal. No reason this team can't contend next year, and I was hopng for the prospect of the Red Sox being bad for a few years as they would have to pay $100MM to a guy with injury issues and way overpay for a first baseman who is getting older and likely declining.

Bob

kittle42
08-25-2012, 04:59 AM

I am complaining about the existence of this response to my post, and my response to that response!

kittle42
08-25-2012, 05:00 AM
Neither of those guys fit into the Red Sox culture.

How true. None of them even went to Pesky's funeral.

russ99
08-25-2012, 09:53 AM
If I'm a Red Sox fan, I'm thrilled. A last place team gets to trade 3 huge contracts and gets prospects in return for them. Even if the prospects aren't highly rated (though I thought one was for their #2 pitching prospect) the idea of having $60 MM freed up in each of the next 4 years to add free agents is a big enough bonus. They can get younger, healthier, and be better off financially in one deal. No reason this team can't contend next year, and I was hopng for the prospect of the Red Sox being bad for a few years as they would have to pay $100MM to a guy with injury issues and way overpay for a first baseman who is getting older and likely declining.
Bob

Yes, but unless the Red Sox go out and spend crazy money in free agency, this closes their playoff window for the time being, IMO at least 2-3 years.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them deal Ortiz at this point, and Ellsbury hits a FA in a year. With Boras as his agent, he'll likely go elsewhere unless Boston pays a premium.

Orioles and Jays fans are celebrating, they finally have a chance.

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Gordon Edes

Adrian Gonzalez has just arrived at Fenway most likely to clean out his locker.

Still some technical details being worked out on Sox/Dodgers deal. Announcement expected mid-afternoon

How did the Red Sox clubhouse react to the trade possibility last night? Glad you asked.

http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/red-sox-trying-to-grasp-the-uncertainty-regarding-possible-blockbuster-trade-with-dodgers.html

Sox chairman Tom Werner on the deal:

doublem23
08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
and Ellsbury hits a FA in a year. With Boras as his agent, he'll likely go elsewhere unless Boston pays a premium.

Who is going to be able to outbid the Red Sox now that they've just wiped a quarter of a billion dollars off their books?

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Jon Heyman

Dodgers have sent a plane. a-gon, beckett & punto are now in the air to LA.

wassagstdu
08-25-2012, 02:07 PM
The real culprit seems to be Valentine, who ran Youkilis out of town and now apparently Gonzalez.

Wasn't it Gonzalez who unloaded on Valentine in an email to the owner, precipitating a meeting of the owner with several players, led by Gonzalez and Pedroia? And didn't Gonzalez say he did not want to play for Valentine?

Seems to me management are sending an unmistakable message.

In Youk's case, Valentine seemed to have fired the first shot.

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Jon Heyman
trade is complete, pending selig's approval.

adrian gonzalez is in the dodgers lineup tonite.

no reason to think selig will turn down trade. deal involves 2 big-market teams & only $12M (<5 pct of contracts)

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120824&content_id=37283394&vkey=news_la&c_id=la

Nick Punto
Thanks to all the fans of Red Sox nation, also thank you to all my teammates, coach's and staff.

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Yes, but unless the Red Sox go out and spend crazy money in free agency, this closes their playoff window for the time being, IMO at least 2-3 years.

Wouldn't surprise me to see them deal Ortiz at this point, and Ellsbury hits a FA in a year. With Boras as his agent, he'll likely go elsewhere unless Boston pays a premium.

Orioles and Jays fans are celebrating, they finally have a chance.

Who would of thunk it, Red Sox almost in complete rebuilding mode.
I love it, I hope they wallow in 4th or 5th place for more than a few years.

balke
08-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Dodgers will look ridiculous if they don't win the world series.

Soxman219
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Dodgers will look ridiculous if they don't win the world series.

What about next year? Who's gonna stop that lineup in the NL West?

Brian26
08-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Who would of thunk it, Red Sox almost in complete rebuilding mode.
I love it, I hope they wallow in 4th or 5th place for more than a few years.

I rather they wallow in 4th or 5th place because they're handcuffed with $300 million of bad contracts.

Beckett is done, Crawford is possibly done and Gonzalez, IMO, is tremendously overpaid for his position.

Brian26
08-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Jon Heyman

no reason to think selig will turn down trade. deal involves 2 big-market teams & only $12M (<5 pct of contracts)

Selig's got to at least look at this trade closely, especially since he basically spent the last two years trying to bail out the Dodgers franchise because of the McCourt debacle. Now he's going to let the Red Sox wipe the slate clean and basically transfer $260 million dollars of debt to the Dodgers? This one stinks.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
I rather they wallow in 4th or 5th place because they're handcuffed with $300 million of bad contracts.

Beckett is done, Crawford is possibly done and Gonzalez, IMO, is tremendously overpaid for his position.

Right. People aren't looking at the big picture, the Red Sox made out like gangbusters. FA signings this off season are going to be astronomical with the Yankees and Red Sox clearing so much money off the books. The Red Sox don't rebuild, they go on shopping sprees. This hurts the next tier of teams, like the White Sox.

DSpivack
08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Right. People aren't looking at the big picture, the Red Sox made out like gangbusters. FA signings this off season are going to be astronomical with the Yankees and Red Sox clearing so much money off the books. The Red Sox don't rebuild, they go on shopping sprees. This hurts the next tier of teams, like the White Sox.

Bye bye, Jake...

Lip Man 1
08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Wassag:

Red Sox owners claimed that Gonzales was not the source of the text / meeting. Take it for what that's worth to you.

Lip

Soxman219
08-25-2012, 03:23 PM

That's the reason they were in this mess in the first place.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2012, 03:37 PM
That's the reason they were in this mess in the first place.
And, why it sucks that they're out of it. They don't care about gambling, especially when desperate teams will not only take Carl Crawford's corpse, but give up prospects in return.

Want Peavy to take a discount? That's not happening now. How about Liriano? Nope. Both of those teams will have no problem absorbing the cost, especially when other teams bail them out and they're competing against one another in the same year.

RCWHITESOX
08-25-2012, 03:59 PM
And, why it sucks that they're out of it. They don't care about gambling, especially when desperate teams will not only take Carl Crawford's corpse, but give up prospects in return.

Want Peavy to take a discount? That's not happening now. How about Liriano? Nope. Both of those teams will have no problem absorbing the cost, especially when other teams bail them out and they're competing against one another in the same year.

This trade is fine. The Dodgers are gambling that Crawford and Beckett will prosper due to a change of scenery; and the Red Sox fell that unloading Becketts and Crawfords contracts will allow them to get better. As for the Red Sox wanting to pay through the nose for Peavy and Lirriano that's not happing. I still think Peavy will resign with the Sox because Kenny knows without pitching you can't compete.

CoopaLoop
08-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Red Sox just made out like bandits. Get two plus prospects for what is the equivalent of amnestying ****ty contracts? That's amazing.

Noneck
08-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Bye bye, Jake...

And Liriano but I never had any illusions that they would stay. Thats is why if anyone should be ridden the rest of season, it should be both of them.

LITTLE NELL
08-25-2012, 04:49 PM
And Liriano but I never had any illusions that they would stay. Thats is why if anyone should be ridden the rest of season, it should be both of them.

I might be naive but I think that Peavy and the Sox will somehow make a deal. He has been hurt every year since he has been with us except here in 2012. I think that Jake is a stand up guy and figures he owes the Sox something after them paying him while he has spent a lot of his time on the DH including his first year here when he was on the DH when we aquired him.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Taylor:

Jayson Stark disagrees with you about the Red Sox going on a massive spending spree. He asks the question, how are they going to do that in a limited free agent market.

Thinks they might actually have to go into a 'rebuilding' mode for the next year or two.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8302371/red-sox-dodgers-deal-history-maker

We'll see.

Lip

Tragg
08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Honestly, the Red Sox shouldn't get anything beyond a few organizational minor leaguers in this deal. And the Dodgers are actually sending legitimate players and prospects for these contracts? And of all the contracts, only Gonzales is of any value at all.

TDog
08-25-2012, 06:09 PM
It wasn't so long ago that every local sports talk show I heard driving around the country was full of fans demanding their team trade for Crawford and later demanding they sign him as a free agent.

I think there might have been a few Crawfords in deep pink at WSI.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2012, 06:24 PM
It wasn't so long ago that every local sports talk show I heard driving around the country was full of fans demanding their team trade for Crawford and later demanding they sign him as a free agent.

That was before he was 31 years old and on the 60 day DL with Tommy John. Things change.

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
SBNation Los Angeles
Josh Beckett will get his first start for the Dodgers Monday. Adrian Gonzalez is in the lineup tonight batting fourth.

Adrian Gonzalez will wear #23, Josh Beckett will wear #30, and Nick Punto will wear #7.

MLB

BLOCKBUSTER OFFICIAL: Dodgers acquire Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett and Nick Punto from Red Sox for 5-player package.

TDog
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
That was before he was 31 years old and on the 60 day DL with Tommy John. Things change.

Yes. They can change in a hurry. And in Crawford's case, they changed in fewer seasons than he was demanding a team guarantee him huge money.

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Tommy Lasorda
Dear @adriangon28 (https://twitter.com/adriangon28) @CarlCrawford_ (https://twitter.com/CarlCrawford_) @Shredderpunto (https://twitter.com/Shredderpunto) and @beck19bb (https://twitter.com/beck19bb), welcome to the @Dodgers (https://twitter.com/Dodgers), the greatest organization in baseball!

russ99
08-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Who is going to be able to outbid the Red Sox now that they've just wiped a quarter of a billion dollars off their books?

This is how Boras works with his big name free agents. He uses the current team bids only to kick up the price for the other bidders. Also, Ellsbury is one of about 4 guys at the top of his position, lead off hitter, and quality defensive CF, and will be in high demand. I can't think of a top Boras client recently who re-signed with his current team.

I'd be willing to bet that Ellsbury signs with another team next offseason, if the Red Sox don't deal him away first.

Tragg
08-25-2012, 08:13 PM

If you liked Ozzie-ball at its peak (and I'm talking before the melt-down) you liked Crawford - he was a "good" Ozzie-style player: - fast, steals, mediocre power, low walk-rate.
I am not a big fan of that kind of ball, but I understand why people liked him. But he just got hurt.

doublem23
08-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Gonzalez made his LA debut tonight against the Marlins. Hit the 2nd pitch he saw for a 3-R HR.

Good to be back in the NL, I suppose

#1swisher
08-25-2012, 11:26 PM
Jon Heyman
analysis of all sides of the $250M trade

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19915322/big-deal-veterans-thrilled-red-sox-hailed-dodgers-criticized-by-some-anyway

cws05champ
08-26-2012, 11:37 AM
I hate this trade for the Sox....the White sox that is. Now Boston will suck for the rest of the year (not that they haven't already) and they have 12 games against the Orioles and Rays. Two teams that are in the wild card race.

DSpivack
08-26-2012, 02:36 PM
I hate this trade for the Sox....the White sox that is. Now Boston will suck for the rest of the year (not that they haven't already) and they have 12 games against the Orioles and Rays. Two teams that are in the wild card race.

Since the White Sox will win the division, not a problem.