PDA

View Full Version : "Incredible Journey of Dewayne Wise"

Foulke You
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Nice article by Garfien on Dewayne Wise. It's crazy how many minor and major league teams he has played for:

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/sox-drawer/post/Sox-Drawer-The-incredible-journey-of-Dew?blockID=760811&feedID=10338

EDIT: MODS, I screwed up the spelling of Wise's first name. Can you please add the e. Thanks!

TommyGavinFloyd
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I saw this yesterday. Very well done and interesting. Boy, am I glad he's back!

TomBradley72
08-22-2012, 04:45 PM
I read in another article that Wise passed on a scholarship to play QB at South Carolina when he was drafted by the Reds.

The more you learn about him- the more you respect what he's accomplished with the talent he's been given- he was a big part of the 2008 White Sox (2nd half + play offs), saved Buehrle's perfect game, clearly respected by the organizations he's been a part of.

Kind of laughable all the people on these boards that have referred to him as a loser, etc.

SoxChic5
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm glad he's back , too! What an asset to the team!!!

delben91
08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Don't let Tragg see this thread. :cool:

central44
08-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Wise has done great things for the Sox . He only got the bad reputation when ozzie insisted on batting him leadoff well after it was established that he didn't belong there. He's a great bench player/4th outfielder, has been great filling in for De Aza, and absolutely deserves credit.

CoopaLoop
08-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Keep riding the Wise train until it derails. It's amazing what he has done in his short time with us so far.

34rancher
08-22-2012, 07:35 PM
No matter if you love home or hate him, you have to respect the passion he has for the game to keep getting up and playing as hard as he does at age 35. That's just respectable for any walk of life.

Frontman
08-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I like him because he honestly comes across as a guy who plays "for the love of the game." Yes, that fateful afternoon in 2009 will go down in history with his name attached to "the catch" for all time.....in Chicago.

But someone who keeps chasing a dream? Don Quixote comparisons of chasing Windmills aside, you can't fault a man for doing that.

Sox
08-22-2012, 08:37 PM
good article about a ball player who gives his all wherever he goes. I hope that he finishes his career with the White Sox.

Noneck
08-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I like him because he honestly comes across as a guy who plays "for the love of the game."

He busts his butt because the other choice is getting a job. Who wouldnt want to play rather than work for a living?

Frontman
08-22-2012, 11:31 PM
He busts his butt because the other choice is getting a job. Who wouldnt want to play rather than work for a living?

My point is that countless others have tried and failed, or gone and gotten a "real" job; yet Wise keeps busting his butt to try and contribute as a player. That's pretty cool, considering he could of quit along the way.

Noneck
08-22-2012, 11:37 PM
My point is that countless others have tried and failed, or gone and gotten a "real" job; yet Wise keeps busting his butt to try and contribute as a player. That's pretty cool, considering he could of quit along the way.

He must be better than the rest because I am sure others have busted their butt to avoid getting a job.

wassagstdu
08-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Wise will have his ups and downs like anybody else, but I hope he stays with the Sox for a while. As for "playing" rather than "working," I'm sure Wise works harder than most people with "real" jobs, but a secret of success in life is to have a job doing what you love, and "never have to work a day in your life."

chicagowhitesox1
08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
He's got 10 years service in the Majors now so he's gonna recieve a pension for the rest of his life when he retires. I would think it would be a pretty decent amount. I doubt he would ever have to find another job.

Frontman
08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Wise will have his ups and downs like anybody else, but I hope he stays with the Sox for a while. As for "playing" rather than "working," I'm sure Wise works harder than most people with "real" jobs, but a secret of success in life is to have a job doing what you love, and "never have to work a day in your life."

Yep yep. Do what you love, love what you do!!!

Hendu
08-23-2012, 10:06 AM

:thumbsup: Well said.

Noneck
08-23-2012, 12:28 PM
As for "playing" rather than "working," I'm sure Wise works harder than most people with "real" jobs, but a secret of success in life is to have a job doing what you love, and "never have to work a day in your life."

Its not so easy to get in that situation but if you are fortunate enough to get in that situation, its easy to work hard everyday and its fun doing it.