PDA

View Full Version : Bartolo Colon suspension

aryzner
08-22-2012, 01:27 PM
John Heyman has tweeted that Bartolo Colon has failed a drug test.

http://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/19867752/bartolo-colon-fails-mlb-drug-test-in-line-for-50-game-suspension

Edit: MLB themselves have tweeted it

http://twitter.com/MLB/status/238326743864328194

LITTLE NELL
08-22-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't believe these guys, Bartolo is a Bozo.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
I guess high fructose corn syrup is banned now.

beasly213
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I guess high fructose corn syrup is banned now.

Awesome.

GlassSox
08-22-2012, 01:46 PM
It's such a shame, will these guys never learn?

TDog
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
When Colon was pitching well early in the season, I thought Beane would trade him at the deadline for prospects. You can't get a lot at the trading deadline, but some team should give up something for Colon. The Yankees have Garcia in their starting rotation. Trade fodder seemed the reason for the A's to employ Colon.

Then the good young players the A's got during the offseason for the good young (but in a couple of cases already broken) players they had ended up leading baseball in walk-off wins and being better than the Angels, at the top of the double-wild-card standings. Can't trade Colon at this deadline.

What a shame.

I just hope the A's have enough healthy young pitching (some of it's already injured, but Anderson is coming back) left by the time they face the Tigers.

Against the Tigers, I become an A's fan.

DSpivack
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
When Colon was pitching well early in the season, I thought Beane would trade him at the deadline for prospects. You can't get a lot at the trading deadline, but some team should give up something for Colon. The Yankees have Garcia in their starting rotation. Trade fodder seemed the reason for the A's to employ Colon.

Then the good young players the A's got during the offseason for the good young (but in a couple of cases already broken) players they had ended up leading baseball in walk-off wins and being better than the Angels, at the top of the double-wild-card standings. Can't trade Colon at this deadline.

What a shame.

I just hope the A's have enough healthy young pitching (some of it's already injured, but Anderson is coming back) left by the time they face the Tigers.

Against the Tigers, I become an A's fan.

Must be pretty hard for you to root for Oakland. :tongue:

Moses_Scurry
08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
It could just be a coincidence, but with two important pieces for teams in the middle of playoff hunts being suspended recently, it seems like the testing has ratcheted up a notch. I really hope all of our guys are clean. I'd hate to lose somebody important for the rest of the season.

soxinem1
08-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Testosterone for Bartolo.

So much for the magic of the stem-cell injections.

aryzner
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
It could just be a coincidence, but with two important pieces for teams in the middle of playoff hunts being suspended recently, it seems like the testing has ratcheted up a notch. I really hope all of our guys are clean. I'd hate to lose somebody important for the rest of the season.

I'd be lying if I said this thought hasn't crossed my mind. It's such a horrible effect of this whole PEDs thing - one can question ANY player, and I don't blame anyone for questioning anyone.

I hope they are all clean as well.

DeadMoney
08-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Seems like MLB is going after a truly "random" testing program, to me.

Anyway, this doesn't shock me at all. I mean, his come back to pitching the last two seasons seemed as if it was done so naturally. It's not at all crazy to believe that a guy can go from 56.1, 99.1, 39.0, 62.1 IP in 4 years to 164.1 and 152.1 IP the next 2 seasons (after taking a year off).

Lip Man 1
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Now we know how he suddenly got well after he looked like **** with the Sox in 2009.

Lip

TDog
08-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Must be pretty hard for you to root for Oakland. :tongue:

Really, I hate non-Chicago teams in the American League because they are rivals of the White Sox. When I watch a non-White Sox game involving two AL teams, it's a matter of who would help the Sox more by winning before who I hate more.

When it's who I hate more, I've had no problem pulling for the Twins or Royals this year when they play the A's.

DSpivack
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Really, I hate non-Chicago teams in the American League because they are rivals of the White Sox. When I watch a non-White Sox game involving two AL teams, it's a matter of who would help the Sox more by winning before who I hate more.

When it's who I hate more, I've had no problem pulling for the Twins or Royals this year when they play the A's.

That's what I meant--that have you a hatred for the Oakland A's outside of them being just another AL team.

PalehosePlanet
08-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Now we know how he suddenly got well after he looked like **** with the Sox in 2009.

Lip

Exactly. How do you get older and fatter but gain 5-7 MPH on the fastball? After the fact, this story is really obvious.

johnny bench
08-22-2012, 05:09 PM
So much for the magic of the stem-cell injections.

Bingo! Now I'm convinced that the testing regimen has been poorly enforced and/or inconsistently applied.

I also suspect that (insert GM name here) Billy Beane is pissed off that (insert player name) Colon was caught rather than shocked that he was using.

Foulke You
08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Bingo! Now I'm convinced that the testing regimen has been poorly enforced and/or inconsistently applied.

I don't think it is poorly enforced anymore. MLB has one of the strictest testing processes in pro sports now. I think it has more to do with the testing vs. dopers taffy pull. The dopers stay ahead of the testing curve and then the testing eventually catches up to what they are doing. It seems that MLB has tweaked their testing of testosterone this season which has caught some players off guard. It wouldn't surprise me if one or two more go down with 50 game suspensions before the end of the season.

fisk4ever
08-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Exactly. How do you get older and fatter but gain 5-7 MPH on the fastball? After the fact, this story is really obvious.

The older and fatter part is a piece of cake!

thomas35forever
08-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Knew there was something in that buffet he always went after.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2012, 01:02 AM
The older and fatter part is a piece of cake!
Yeah, I've excelled at that!

BNLSox
08-23-2012, 01:16 AM

I get scared that AJ's record year might not be legit... that would be terrible:whiner:

gobears1987
08-23-2012, 05:07 AM
He must've eaten Melky.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2012, 05:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8293709/is-baseball-faced-massive-epidemic

Lip

SBSoxFan
08-24-2012, 10:13 PM
So, will the A's have to forfeit Colon's wins?