PDA

View Full Version : *official* 08/21 sox 7 yanks 3 "it ain't Nova til' Nova gives up a Granny"

guillensdisciple
08-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Great win. No sense of urgency in making
These threads without frater.

Oh and if we make the playoffs I have a feeling there might be some magic on the south side come October.

SephClone89
08-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Now that is a bold thread title. Go big or go home.

In all seriousness, yeah. I think the Sox are gonna be okay.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
The Yankees seem to have like... 4 good players. Absolutely no idea how they are the best team in the AL. ****ing perplexing.

SephClone89
08-21-2012, 10:57 PM
The Yankees seem to have like... 4 good players. Absolutely no idea how they are the best team in the AL. ****ing perplexing.

Depth.

GlassSox
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Great Sox win and well under 3 hours. I keep getting more excited about this team every day.

guillensdisciple
08-21-2012, 10:59 PM

Maybe they play well against everyone but us. Royals syndrome kinda.

They have Jeter, granderson, cano, texiera, swisher. That's pretty formidable.

Also, sabathia.

That's it lol.

I think they have a good bullpen, I think.

doublem23
Depth.

Depth? Depth? They started Jayson Nix and Andruw Jones today, two guys who got run out of Chicago for being TURRRRRRRRRRRIBLE. Ivan Nova looked like a AA pitching coach. Their lineup is Jeter, Granderson, Cano, Teixeira and then **** sandwiches.

PushinWeight
Sweep with Sale on the mound tomorrow. Truly impressed with the way they have responded to being swept this season.

voodoochile
What's not to like? Liriano goes 6 after a shaky first. Youk hits a granny. The Sox tack on an insurance run and the bullpen does it's job.

Do it again tomorrow and that three day nightmare in Kansas is wiped away.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

all*star quentin
Gdisciple, great thread title. :cool:

Won the Yankees series, first time since 2003, per Garfien. Is that right?

Another great Win from my favorite MLB team. Keep winning. :gulp:

doublem23
08-21-2012, 11:01 PM

Yep

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head-games.cgi?team1=CHW&team2=NYY&from=2003&to=2012&submit=Submit

SephClone89
08-21-2012, 11:02 PM
Depth? Depth? They started Jayson Nix and Andruw Jones today, two guys who got run out of Chicago for being TURRRRRRRRRRRIBLE. Ivan Nova looked like a AA pitching coach. Their lineup is Jeter, Granderson, Cano, Teixeira and then **** sandwiches.

I realize this bench/platoon is mostly washed-up guys (Jones, Ibanez, Chavez, etc etc), but you can't tell me you wouldn't take any of those guys for the Sox bench.

Y'know, so we can actually pinch-hit for Ray ****ing Olmedo this past weekend in the 8th inning of a close game.

Red Barchetta
08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Great win and a great series rebound to the lost weekend in KC. Let's face it, they ran into a hot team at home and have rebounded nicely. Royals even passed the Indians.

LoveYourSuit
08-21-2012, 11:03 PM
So happy the guys have rebounded yet again after a train wreck series this weekend. And vs one of the better teams.

The Sox are playing real good bals vs the ML elite teams.

Good sign come October.

fram40
08-21-2012, 11:07 PM
What's not to like? Liriano goes 6 after a shaky first. Youk hits a granny. The Sox tack on an insurance run and the bullpen does it's job.

Do it again tomorrow and that three day nightmare in Kansas is wiped away.

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

Bullpen - two baserunners in three innings. One of them scored - but is still only a 3.00 ERA.

This bullpen is going to get better and finish extremely strong

JB98
08-21-2012, 11:09 PM
And this is why it made no sense to throw in the towel after the Kansas City series. The Sox are a resilient group.

SCCWS
08-21-2012, 11:11 PM
I have been worried about Youk the last week. Great to see that passion as he rounded first. His average has been dropping lately and he seemed to be striking out a lot. But he hit a couple of bullets to left the last few days and he went to right tonight so maybe the hits are coming. When he and DeAza were both hot, the offense was rolling. Hopefully Wise stays hot and Youk goes on a tear. Seems like the lower 3rd are also getting their share of hits as well.

voodoochile
08-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Bullpen - two baserunners in three innings. One of them scored - but is still only a 3.00 ERA.

This bullpen is going to get better and finish extremely strong

Having two long relievers is proving to be a good idea. If they can get meaningful innings from Veal it should be enough to keep the big 3 from completely wearing down. Crain should finish strong after missing a few months as his arm will be very fresh relative to how he normally feels this time of year.

Wouldn't have minded seeing Reed finish tonight save or no. Thursday's an off day so he could have easily pitched tomorrow too if needed.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Jones was not 'run out of town' in fact he had a pretty decent season for a part time player... 19 home runs, 48 RBI's, 45 walks and nine stolen bases out of 11 tries.

I'd love to have that coming off the bench today.

He left because of money issues unfortunately, Kenny said he'd love to have had him return.

The Yanks have a powerful offense and that makes up for the bullpen issues. They've done remarkable considering the injuries they have had.

That being said this is nice to see after Kansas City and continues the pattern, the Sox seem to play pretty well against the good teams (which offers hope for October) and plays down to the bad ones.

Lip

ChiSoxGal85
08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Great win. Youk's grand slam was awesome. Liriano was shaky at first but got it together. The Sox offense showed up to play and the bullpen finished it off.

Sweep it tomorrow!!

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 11:18 PM
JB:

Maybe I missed something in the comments section but I don't think anyone was "throwing in the towel" after K.C.

There were a number of pissed off fans venting after another terrible performance by a first place club against a garbage team they should have beaten the **** out of. If this was a fluke I don't think there would have even been that many fans upset but we've seen this movie before...Oakland, Minnesota and Toronto since 2001. Add the losses to the Cubs and Astros this year and I can understand the anger.

Lip

DSpivack
08-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Yup. 2005 they split 6 games with the Yankees; 2003 they won 4 of 6.

PalehosePlanet
08-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Having two long relievers is proving to be a good idea. If they can get meaningful innings from Veal it should be enough to keep the big 3 from completely wearing down. Crain should finish strong after missing a few months as his arm will be very fresh relative to how he normally feels this time of year.

Wouldn't have minded seeing Reed finish tonight save or no. Thursday's an off day so he could have easily pitched tomorrow too if needed.

Agree about Jesse, at this time last year he was overworked. He should be rock solid the rest of the way; at least his earlier injuries were not arm problems.

On Reed pitching tonight, I disagree. Closers pitching on the 3rd of three consecutive days usually do not fare well -- that is, if he were to have pitched tomorrow too. It's bad enough he started warming up.

Great win again after a terrible start in the first inning, both pitching and offense wise. This really is a resilient group that continues to surprise me.

Picking up Wise has already paid off huge; keep it up DeWayne!

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 11:25 PM
JB:

Maybe I missed something in the comments section but I don't think anyone was "throwing in the towel" after K.C.

There were a number of pissed off fans venting after another terrible performance by a first place club against a garbage team they should have beaten the **** out of. If this was a fluke I don't think there would have even been that many fans upset but we've seen this movie before...Oakland, Minnesota and Toronto since 2001. Add the losses to the Cubs and Astros this year and I can understand the anger.

Lip

I'm not so sure the Royals are a "garbage team".

Post All Star break they are exactly 2 games behind the White Sox- and they have more wins than the Red Sox and Angels.

IMHO- the worst part of last weekend wasn't losing to the Royals it was getting swept when we were throwing our top 3 starters (Sales, Peavy, Quintana) out there.

JB98
08-21-2012, 11:26 PM
JB:

Lip

Yeah, they were. But I'm not going to call the posters out who were taking the "venting" to absurd levels. That's trolling, and it would be unnecessary while we're celebrating a win tonight.

It is worth pointing out that fortunes have changed a lot in the last 48 hours. That's how baseball is, and people should keep that in mind next time the Sox have a bad series.

Hitmen77
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM

:jerry
That's when I decided to start Neil Cotts instead of Mark Buehrle

PalehosePlanet
08-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Post All Star break they are exactly 2 games behind the White Sox- and they have more wins than the Red Sox and Angels.

IMHO- the worst part of last weekend wasn't losing to the Royals it was getting swept when we were throwing our top 3 starters (Sales, Peavy, Quintana) out there.

Soupy? I thought he passed away. :D:

Hawk: I loooove typos.

SoxSpeed22
08-21-2012, 11:32 PM
I liked the way Liriano held down a fairly difficult Yankee lineup after all the trouble he had with them on the Twins. It seems that he relied more on his breaking stuff. The Yankee hitters can crush fastballs.
The offense showed a lot in coming back against a tough team and the bullpen has been doing a very nice job.

Bob Roarman
08-21-2012, 11:33 PM

You can easily flip that question around with the White Sox this year as well.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Tom:

With respect, a month does not a season make. They are 12 under .500, have had what, one winning season in a decade, the starters that beat the Sox over the weekend had ERA's of 4.5, high four, and six.

That's garbage to me.

And this was 'supposedly' the year many 'experts' said Kansas City was going to break even and then 'take off...' Ummmm not quite.

Lip

palehozenychicty
08-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I realize this bench/platoon is mostly washed-up guys (Jones, Ibanez, Chavez, etc etc), but you can't tell me you wouldn't take any of those guys for the Sox bench.

Y'know, so we can actually pinch-hit for Ray ****ing Olmedo this past weekend in the 8th inning of a close game.

Exactly. It isn't only money that explains why they win 93 games every season. Their bench players are all guys from other teams who expected more from them than they could deliver.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 11:40 PM

I never said I understood how this team kept winning, either. :cool:

More of a commentary on an opponent I rarely watch.

Not to mention, Jones is not just "coming off the bench for the Yankees," he's appeared in 71 games and has over 200 plate appearances. He's got the 10th most on the team. While hitting to the tune of .212/.289/.455. Awful.

Noneck
08-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Their left handed lineup is more formidable. If the Sox face them again this year, I would love for the 3 Sox leftys to start the series.

palehozenychicty
08-21-2012, 11:44 PM

Yeah. The Royals, if they ever get some starting pitching, will be a problem soon.

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 11:44 PM
Tom:

With respect, a month does not a season make. They are 12 under .500, have had what, one winning season in a decade, the starters that beat the Sox over the weekend had ERA's of 4.5, high four, and six.

That's garbage to me.

And this was 'supposedly' the year many 'experts' said Kansas City was going to break even and then 'take off...' Ummmm not quite.

Lip

I know- but young teams can change a lot when you add a few new pieces- they are a different team with their young catcher healthy- and the guy in the 8th inning on Friday was throwing 100 mph- no excuse for being swept- but there's a steadily expanding nucleus of young talent.

fram40
08-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Yeah. The Royals, if they ever get some starting pitching, will be a problem soon.

That's true for any team. Starting pitching is the name of the game.

delben91
08-21-2012, 11:59 PM
Add the losses to the Cubs and Astros this year and I can understand the anger.

Lip

First place teams should never lose games to teams under .500. Ever. Under any circumstances.

doublem23
08-22-2012, 12:02 AM
First place teams should never lose games to teams under .500. Ever. Under any circumstances.

Absolutely. Cubs and Astros have a combined 4 wins this season. All against the Sox.

voodoochile
08-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Agree about Jesse, at this time last year he was overworked. He should be rock solid the rest of the way; at least his earlier injuries were not arm problems.

On Reed pitching tonight, I disagree. Closers pitching on the 3rd of three consecutive days usually do not fare well -- that is, if he were to have pitched tomorrow too. It's bad enough he started warming up.

Great win again after a terrible start in the first inning, both pitching and offense wise. This really is a resilient group that continues to surprise me.

Picking up Wise has already paid off huge; keep it up DeWayne!

I honestly forgot he pitched last night. You are correct...

DSpivack
08-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Their left handed lineup is more formidable. If the Sox face them again this year, I would love for the 3 Sox leftys to start the series.

That it is, but that's because they play in Yankee Stadium.

TDog
08-22-2012, 12:22 AM

The difference is that the White Sox have better pitching when you take the injuries on both sides into consideration. The Sox, despite losing their opening day starter for the season, have a deeper starting rotation and a better, if less experienced, bullpen. The Sox have a much more inconsistent offense, and right now they are starting Wise, who wouldn't be on the Sox if the Yankees hadn't picked up Ichiro Suzuki. But if De Aza were healthy, I don't think there would be a place for Swisher in the Sox everyday lineup, so maybe the Sox would have a stronger bench.

I had to run to the post office today when the Yankees had a 1-0 lead, one out and the bases loaded in the top of the first. I expected the Sox to be trailing big when I got home, but Konerko was just tying up the game with a home run. The Yankees last night really didn't take full advantage of their early opportunites against Floyd, and tonight, they didn't put Liriano away.

The Sox have come home and played pretty good baseball after a couple of rough starts. They played better than they played at the end of their last roadtrip, but Kansas City (who tonight shut out the Rays in 10 in Florida) is probably playing better baseball right now than the Yankees are. But maybe the Yankees just don't have the mental toughness to beat a team that just got swept by the Royals.

I imagine the anger over sending down Danks in favor of Wise has lost its passion. I just hope Wise continues to play well when the Sox start playing teams that didn't dump him.

balke
08-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Maybe they play well against everyone but us. Royals syndrome kinda.

They have Jeter, granderson, cano, texiera, swisher. That's pretty formidable.

Also, sabathia.

That's it lol.

I think they have a good bullpen, I think.

I know injured... but Arod, Gardner, Pineda and Mariano Rivera are pretty good. Ichiro is hitting over .300 as a Yankee as well.

Foulke You
08-22-2012, 01:39 AM
Wise with another 4 hits tonight which brings his 2 game total to 6 hits. What a tremendous boost he has given the Sox at the best possible time. Hope he stays hot.

Show of hands, who thought Youk's slam was just going to be a sac fly? Caught that wind and just blew on out.

AnkleSox
08-22-2012, 01:42 AM
True story - Last time I was on a softball team that won a meaningless league championship, the White Sox won the World Series a couple months later.

I haven't been on a team that's won one since.

Guess what happened tonight?

chisoxfanatic
08-22-2012, 01:56 AM
I was at the Red Sox game today at Fenway and thanked them for Youk! *I wore my Hawks shirt and Sox hat with pride. :)

It was great seeing the 2 become a 6 on the scoreboard. I kept up with the game on my Score app.

jcw218
08-22-2012, 01:58 AM
True story - Last time I was on a softball team that won a meaningless league championship, the White Sox won the World Series a couple months later.

I haven't been on a team that's won one since.

Guess what happened tonight?

You won your league championship?

guillensdisciple
08-22-2012, 02:06 AM

Destiny my friend.

Crooked Number
08-22-2012, 02:33 AM
Agree wtih sentiments shared earlier in the thread. These last 5 games have shown that this Sox team is not going to fade. They are for real. They may not end up winning the division, no one can know as of right now. They will, however, go down fighting and it will be a dogfight until the end.

What we do know, is that they do not give up, and have proven time and again this year that when they take a gut punch, they respond. A very enjoyable team to watch and I am grateful that this team has provided me with tremendous entertainment and excitement. This is what a pennant race is all about. Both Det and the Sox are neck and neck. If the Sox do end up taking it, this is how you want it to go down. Battle tested in September, to do damage in October. Let's see if they can pull off the reverse sweep in as many games tomorrow. Go Sox.

Bob Roarman
08-22-2012, 04:33 AM
The difference is that the White Sox have better pitching when you take the injuries on both sides into consideration. The Sox, despite losing their opening day starter for the season, have a deeper starting rotation and a better, if less experienced, bullpen. The Sox have a much more inconsistent offense, and right now they are starting Wise, who wouldn't be on the Sox if the Yankees hadn't picked up Ichiro Suzuki. But if De Aza were healthy, I don't think there would be a place for Swisher in the Sox everyday lineup, so maybe the Sox would have a stronger bench.

What I meant was that as on outsider looking in, a lot of people are probably saying the same thing about the Sox, moreso than about the Yankees anyway. They'll always have their hitters, their All Stars. There's no real mystery as to how they're winning. But who was Chris Sale before this season? Quintana? Most of the bullpen? Who was De Aza? We didn't see this coming. We knew Sale could be good, but a Cy Young contender his first season as starter? Losing a top of the rotation starter and your pitching still being one of your best strengths? A bullpen full of a bunch of rookies somehow getting the job done? Whatever it is, luck, career years, non-regression, hopefully they keep on riding it for a couple more months.

DumpJerry
08-22-2012, 07:58 AM
So, are the Yanks blaming Costanza for DFAing Wise?

AnkleSox
08-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Yep! There's quite obviously a major correlation.

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Great thread title!

Even better win.

Get the sweep today.

No such thing as a patsy in the American League, so we just have to keep grinding, and blasting big bombs helps, too.

Crooked Number
08-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Yep! There's quite obviously a major correlation.

I like the correlation that the Sox make the playoffs in Obama election years :gulp:

October26
08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Great win. Youk's grand slam was awesome. Liriano was shaky at first but got it together. The Sox offense showed up to play and the bullpen finished it off.

Sweep it tomorrow!!

+1

I was in another room and when I heard Hawk's call, I ran into our family room, clapping, and began jumping up and down in front of our television. What a great moment that was! :D: YOUK!

jdm2662
08-22-2012, 09:29 AM
And this is why it made no sense to throw in the towel after the Kansas City series. The Sox are a resilient group.

This team just isn't Chicago Tough. I just don't know if they have what it takes to be a first place team.

Is this team awesome again and likeable now that they won two in a row against the Yankees?

And thank the Lord the game ended before 10:00.

Hitmen77
08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Great win yesterday. Let's sweep tonight and then continue that winning streak against a hot Mariners team this weekend!

My biggest concern is that the Sox have 6 more games vs. the Royals and 7 more games vs. the Tigers. The Sox are 4-8 and 4-7 against these teams so far this year.

They need to figure out a way to beat these teams if they want to make the playoffs. It'll be pretty tough to get to the post season if the Sox continue their losing ways vs. these teams.

ChiSoxGal85
08-22-2012, 10:06 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2409866858/xzms9oas2dj3qrn74508_normal.jpeg Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien (https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)

Great Kevin Youkilis headline in today's New York Post. http://twitpic.com/amgoho (http://t.co/nQFFFQdd)

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/2409866858/xzms9oas2dj3qrn74508_normal.jpeg Chuck Garfien ‏@ChuckGarfien (https://twitter.com/ChuckGarfien)

Great Kevin Youkilis headline in today's New York Post. http://twitpic.com/amgoho (http://t.co/nQFFFQdd)

"Damn Youk!"

I must say, that has a nice ring to it. :redneck

hawkjt
08-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Call me crazy,but I think there was a little Kevin Hickey angel blowing that high fly ball of Youk's over the wall....no way did it look like it would go out!....I will say this...Youk does have great wrists,a la Hank Aaron,and you get surprising power from great wrists.:D:

Liriano is definitely the Sox #3 starter if they make the playoffs...especially vs the Yanks. He has great ''stuff'' if only he can throw enough strikes.

PK is back! Great to see three homers in 5 games since returning from the concussion. He needed the break,physically,and it is paying dividends. PK back on the beam is huge for this team.

Love the triples from Alex and AJ....triples bring smiles from fans..always...they are just good clean fun!

Right now,if the playoffs opened today, the Sox would play the Rangers,with the Yanks playing the wildcard winner. Sox have clinched season series vs both the Rangers and Yanks,and are 3-0 vs the Rays.
Sox should fear no one...but maybe those pesky O's...must bear down next week in Baltimore. Right now,only the Royals,O's and Tigers have the season edge on the Sox...and Sox can still address those issues this next 6 weeks.

As for so-called ''garbage'' teams....every team is garbage at times,and every team is good at times...thats baseball. The M's have the best record in the AL since the All Star break...24-13. They are coming into Soxpark this weekend,and even tho Sox miss King Felix, it is going to be a very tough series,tougher than the Yanks or Rangers...do not panic if the Sox lose it. It's baseball.

PS: Hey,DWise,just ignore the naysayers and keep hitting!

asindc
08-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Call me crazy,but I think there was a little Kevin Hickey angel blowing that high fly ball of Youk's over the wall....no way did it look like it would go out!....I will say this...Youk does have great wrists,a la Hank Aaron,and you get surprising power from great wrists.:D:

Liriano is definitely the Sox #3 starter if they make the playoffs...especially vs the Yanks. He has great ''stuff'' if only he can throw enough strikes.

PK is back! Great to see three homers in 5 games since returning from the concussion. He needed the break,physically,and it is paying dividends. PK back on the beam is huge for this team.

Love the triples from Alex and AJ....triples bring smiles from fans..always...they are just good clean fun!

Right now,if the playoffs opened today, the Sox would play the Rangers,with the Yanks playing the wildcard winner. Sox have clinched season series vs both the Rangers and Yanks,and are 3-0 vs the Rays.
Sox should fear no one...but maybe those pesky O's...must bear down next week in Baltimore. Right now,only the Royals,O's and Tigers have the season edge on the Sox...and Sox can still address those issues this next 6 weeks.

As for so-called ''garbage'' teams....every team is garbage at times,and every team is good at times...thats baseball. The M's have the best record in the AL since the All Star break...24-13. They are coming into Soxpark this weekend,and even tho Sox miss King Felix, it is going to be a very tough series,tougher than the Yanks or Rangers...do not panic if the Sox lose it. It's baseball.

PS: Hey,DWise,just ignore the naysayers and keep hitting!

Boston won the season series against us as well.

hawkjt
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Yea,Boston is the one team that has clinched a season series win vs the Sox already...damn them carmines!

cards press box
08-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I was there last night. The Sox seem to be a losse, confident bunch who just keep playing on an even-keel. I think they resemble their skipper.

And with good pitching, defense and power,

:winner

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Yea,Boston is the one team that has clinched a season series win vs the Sox already...damn them carmines!

They may have taken the season series from us, but we took something even more important from them...Youkilis. He's helped us win more games than we've lost to Boston, so I'll take that trade-off any day.

TheVulture
08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Depth? Depth? They started Jayson Nix and Andruw Jones today, two guys who got run out of Chicago for being TURRRRRRRRRRRIBLE.

If good defense and an .837 OPS in turrrrible, this Sox team is garbage.