PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-20 Status of the Sky: NOT FALLING Postgamer Sox 9 Yanks 6

F4L
08-20-2012, 10:58 PM
The Yanks sure aren't the Royals!

:)

JB98
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
That was an exhausting game. The Sox showed some balls overcoming two separate deficits against the best team in the American League.

I was happy with the bullpen tonight. Thornton and Reed looked pretty good.

all*star quentin
08-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice, TEAM, Win!! :gulp::bandance::):cool:

EDIT: Addison Reed sets franchise record for saves by a rookie. 22nd.

billyvsox
Veal, Myer, Thornton, Reed......

3.1 innings
0 runs
0 walks!!!

guillensdisciple
Like I said, I fear no one in a seven game series sans the royals.

The Immigrant
The defining moment in this game? When Gavin got yanked in the third inning. That gave us a chance...

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Another one of those games that we would have lost last year. I'm pleasantly surprised by the nice comeback win; had a sinking feeling until Alexei's bomb and Matt's 1-2-3 in the 8th.

Tragg
Nice bounceback win.

Aside from the aura of being the "yankees", this is the team you want to play in the playoffs - who scares you on that starting staff?

fram40
a good come-from behind win. way to pick up Gavin

I keep waiiting for gavin to get on that two month streak where he is just about unhittable. Hasn't hapened yet

Maybe he figures it out vs Seattle on Sunday?

FielderJones
08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
From the outhouse to the penthouse in four short hours. :tongue:

Kudos to the Sox hitters for staying in there and finally wearing Big Game Freddy out. Robin did a good job of getting Floyd out of there, but rode Santiago a bit too long. All's well that ends well, though, and it's all good.

fram40
Nice bounceback win.

Aside from the aura of being the "yankees", this is the team you want to play in the playoffs - who scares you on that starting staff?

C.C. seems to have the Sox number

WisSoxFan
I missed the 4th and 5th innings. Putting my 4 month old to bed. What happened with Alexei that was a missed call?

PalehosePlanet
Veal, Myer, Thornton, Reed......

3.1 innings
0 runs
0 walks!!!

Santiago did a nice job too. You can blame Robin for his ****ty stat line, but Hector actually kept us in the game.

ShooterMcGavin
08-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Floyd was terrible again.

Santiago did a good job holding the Yankees down until Ventura left him in the game too long.

Wise's play since returning to the Sox has been a pleasant surprise.

S-SideTrifecta
It's ALL GOOD YES YES yes Yankees blow chunks:bandance:

central44
Nice bounceback win.

To be fair, the Sox have dominated Texas all year, too. :cool:

That's why I can't buy into the "the Sox have already exceeded expectations, we should be happy even if they DO fall short" talk. KC is legitimatley the only team in all of baseball that scares me right now.

bluedemon45
08-20-2012, 11:06 PM
After this last weekend and how bad they looked at the start of the game, I thought "Well its been a fun summer" Yet they still continue to fight back in every game. This team has character. Hell of a victory tonight.

TomBradley72
08-20-2012, 11:07 PM
One of the gutsiest wins of the year- a banged up, depleted team against one of the best teams in MLB-

2 games up on the Tigers on August 20th- only a few seasons in my era as a fan when we've been in 1st place this late in the season- what a fun season.

mzh
I wonder if the possibility of seeing these schmucks come October was a factor in the Liriano pickup. Having 3 lefties out of your top 4 in the rotation is a pretty good way to handle the lefty lineup in the ballpark with the lefty short porch.

Tragg
To be fair, the Sox have dominated Texas all year, too. :cool:

That's why I can't buy into the "the Sox have already exceeded expectations, we should be happy even if they DO fall short" talk. KC is legitimatley the only team in all of baseball that scares me right now.
Texas has no ace, but they have several really good starters. The Yanks start Freddie .....now CC is a top flight starter, but I thought he was on the shelf. Now they hit 1-9, but Tampa's a more formidable playoff team, imo. And we close the season with them, which will be interesting.
I have no explanation for the Royals hex, other than I don't think they're that bad and they underperform (against everyone else).

Soxfanspcu11
08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Checking In From Da Cell: Wi-Fi is ACTUALLY WORKING @ My Car!! :bandance:

Anywho, HUGE HUGE WIN FOR DA SOX!! Not Only To Snap Da Skid but To Beat Da Best Team in Da AL, and a Comeback, SEVERAL Times! Just Incredible!

For Those of you who were not here tonite, Da Crowd Was SOOOOOO PUMPED! Felt like a Playoff Game! The Ramps were Going CRAZY!!!!!!!

SO MUCH FUN, I Really Dont Want to go to work tomm! AWESOME!!!!!!!!

:gulp::)

The Immigrant
08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
So much for this team not being "mentally tough", whatever the hell that even means.

fram40
08-20-2012, 11:11 PM
One of the gutsiest wins of the year- a banged up, depleted team against one of the best teams in MLB-

2 games up on the Tigers on August 20th- only a few seasons in my era as a fan when we've been in 1st place this late in the season- what a fun season.

how hard is that to believe? my era covers pretty much the entire divisonal era - since 1969.

And this is one of the best seasons in my era, as well.

Tragg
08-20-2012, 11:13 PM

I've been a fan since 1967 and it's definitely been below 10 in those 46 years. (only 5 playoff appearances).

voodoochile
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice to bounce back and comeback, not once but twice in this game. Heck of an effort by everyone. Just won both the games the Kittens had already lost. That's huge.

First part of the game was like pulling my own teeth but at least they kept it close and fought their way back for the win.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana: :supernana:

LoveYourSuit
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Like I said, I fear no one in a seven game series sans the royals.

Only fear is having to back into the playoffs and having Gavin take the ball for game 1 :o:

2008 all over again.

Let's hope not. No more give away games to bad teams please!

SoxSpeed22
08-20-2012, 11:19 PM
I was watching the Mike Tyson documentary the whole time, but this is a win to build on with the way they kept fighting in this game. Detroit fans have to be very pissed about this one.

fram40
08-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Only fear is having to back into the playoffs and having Gavin take the ball for game 1 :o:

2008 all over again.

Gavin pitched game 162 in 2008. Which was looking a bit shaky until TCM hit a grand slam. Of course, he also lost game 4 in the ALDS - Upton hit two jacks off him.

Gavin is so damn frustrating to watch and root for.

tstrike2000
08-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I was watching the Mike Tyson documentary the whole time, but this is a win to build on with the way they kept fighting in this game. Detroit fans have to be very pissed about this one.

Tonight's game was an ear biter for a while there.

RadioheadRocks
08-20-2012, 11:22 PM

2008 all over again.

I was there for the deciding game in the '08 playoffs vs. the DRays and Gavin was NOT sharp. Here's hoping his getting yanked after 2 1/3 tonight was the wakeup call that was LONG OVERDUE.

Tragg
08-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Gavin is the fifth starter. He won't make the first 2 round playoff cut unless we absolutely can't go with 3 lefties, or if the order just shakes out that he has to pitch in the first game. It's unlikely he'll make rounds 3 and 4 either.

ChiSoxGal85
08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Very gutsy win. Floyd was not good. Santiago filled in admirably, but was left in a bit long - but the Sox battle back anyway, despite that odd overturned call on Alexei's double. The bullpen did its job - yes, even Matt Thornton. :o:

Pretty HR heavy game, but hey, it's the Cell so I won't complain. Let's do it again tomorrow.

fram40
08-20-2012, 11:24 PM
This is win # 66. The SI prediction is officially in the rear view mirror.

amsteel
08-20-2012, 11:26 PM
OUTSTANDING team victory tonight, exactly what was needed after the **** show in KC.

You would think if/when it comes down to the final 5-8 games of the year, Gavin's spot will be skipped in the rotation.

TomBradley72
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I've been a fan since 1967 and it's definitely been below 10 in those 46 years. (only 5 playoff appearances).

1971 for me- so our 5 post seasons (1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008) + maybe 1972, one or two seasons in the 90s? then again in the 2002-2008 window?

So yeah- a "Top 10" season for my 41 years as a fan-

ChiSoxGirl
08-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Tonight's game was an ear biter for a while there.

:lol: Awesome.

SpartanSoxFan
08-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Great way to gut out a win.

This one had that foul stentch of another bullpen implosion. But, the offense showed up to better that formidable Yankee lineup, which we limited to a decent 6 runs overall. I'm really starting to worry about the long-term durability of our bullpen. Robin has been utilizing a lot of these guys, especially lately. Gavin Floyd, would it kill you to six innings or more in one more of your last starts?! :angry:

WisSoxFan
08-20-2012, 11:37 PM
1971 for me- so our 5 post seasons (1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008) + maybe 1972, one or two seasons in the 90s? then again in the 2002-2008 window?

Funny you should mention this. My first year as a fan was '72. I was thinking the other day what are my five favorite Sox seasons. I came up with (in chronological order)
'72 because it was my first. I didn't realize they were coming out of nowhere. It was fun because they were good and my first.
'77 - it was just a fun summer to be Sox fan. The fall sucked, but the summer sure was fun.
'83 - that was a really good team and my first Sox post-season. Unfortunately Tito ****ing Landrum ruined my 20th birthday.
'90 - an out of nowhere team that kept winning coming from behind and the start of some really good Sox careers with Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Fernandez...I really liked that team.
'05 - for obvious reasons.

doublem23
08-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I was there for the deciding game in the '08 playoffs vs. the DRays and Gavin was NOT sharp. Here's hoping his getting yanked after 2 1/3 tonight was the wakeup call that was LONG OVERDUE.

Yeah, I'm sure Gavin thought he was having a great season until tonight. :rolleyes:

PalehosePlanet
08-20-2012, 11:41 PM
350 pitches and 10 pitching changes in this game. Gee, I wonder why it took 3:45 to play? The Yankees alone are probably responsible for bringing up the overall league average game time by 10 minutes.

ShooterMcGavin
08-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Gavin is the fifth starter. He won't make the first 2 round playoff cut unless we absolutely can't go with 3 lefties, or if the order just shakes out that he has to pitch in the first game. It's unlikely he'll make rounds 3 and 4 either.

Four rounds of playoffs?

WLL1855
08-20-2012, 11:45 PM
350 pitches and 10 pitching changes in this game. Gee, I wonder why it took 3:45 to play? The Yankees alone are probably responsible for bringing up the overall league average game time by 10 minutes.

You aren't kidding there brother. I was watching the game at the bar and when I got in my car to head home, I looked at my clock on the dash and muttered 'Oh mercy'.

RadioheadRocks
08-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I'm sure Gavin thought he was having a great season until tonight. :rolleyes:

The way he's pitched who knows where his mind is?

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2012, 11:54 PM
That was a long game and a long night at the ballpark for me. We didn't have much business winning this game but thank God we did! It was great to see almost all of the moves Girardi made tonight didn't work out.

doublem23
08-20-2012, 11:55 PM
The way he's pitched who knows where his mind is?

This is basically the same pitcher he's been for the last several years, very streaky, prone to these kinds of lapses. I mean, seriously, would anyone have been surprised this morning if I'd told you that Floyd would struggle against the Yankees and not make it out of the 3rd inning? I doubt many would.

And, as bad as people want to pretend Gavin's been since he's giving up (GASP) hits and (WHAAAT) walks, since July 1 he's pitched 44 innings in 7 games and is 4-3 with an ERA of 3.68. Considering he's the consensus #5 pitcher on the Sox right now, that's something you can live with. I doubt many teams are getting that kind of production out of the back end of their starting rotation.

That all said, Floyd's oBABIP this season is a high .301 which may indicate he's been particularly unlucky this year, considering that so many of his other numbers are roughly in line with his career averages; 19.2% K Rate vs. 18.1% for his career, 17% LD% vs. 20% for his career, 1.3 HR/9 IP vs. 1.2 for his career, 3.2 BB/9 IP vs. 3.0....

WhiteSox5187
08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
This is basically the same pitcher he's been for the last several years, very streaky, prone to these kinds of lapses. I mean, seriously, would anyone have been surprised this morning if I'd told you that Floyd would struggle against the Yankees and not make it out of the 3rd inning? I doubt many would.

And, as bad as people want to pretend Gavin's been since he's giving up (GASP) hits and (WHAAAT) walks, since July 1 he's pitched 44 innings in 7 games and is 4-3 with an ERA of 3.68. Considering he's the consensus #5 pitcher on the Sox right now, that's something you can live with. I doubt many teams are getting that kind of production out of the back end of their starting rotation.

That all said, Floyd's oBABIP this season is a high .301 which may indicate he's been particularly unlucky this year, considering that so many of his other numbers are roughly in line with his career averages; 19.2% K Rate vs. 18.1% for his career, 17% LD% vs. 20% for his career, 1.3 HR/9 IP vs. 1.2 for his career, 3.2 BB/9 IP vs. 3.0....

I don't think that's the case, it seems like he is hanging a lot of pitches this year and when that is the case you will get hit and hit hard.

RCWHITESOX
08-21-2012, 12:32 AM
It sure would be nice if the Sox could give the same run support to Sale, Peavy, and Quintana. Maybe the Sox's mind set is to score as much as possible when Floyd,Liriano, or Humber is pitching because you never know what kind of game their going to pitch.

Bob Roarman
08-21-2012, 12:45 AM

Yeah I was at the game, those first 3 or 4 innings, good god. But I knew it was going to be a long game after seeing the pitching match up of Floyd and Freddy beforehand. Joked around with some friends on the way up there that it was going to be a 4 hour game. Not too far off.

Also, what the hell kind of attendance was that? These are two top teams in the AL. I mean, to me anyway, your team being in first should be reason enough, but a potential playoff preview? And that's what they got? Whatever.

RadioheadRocks
08-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah I was at the game, those first 3 or 4 innings, good god. But I knew it was going to be a long game after seeing the pitching match up of Floyd and Freddy beforehand. Joked around with some friends on the way up there that it was going to be a 4 hour game. Not too far off.

Also, what the hell kind of attendance was that? These are two top teams in the AL. I mean, to me anyway, your team being in first should be reason enough, but a potential playoff preview? And that's what they got? Whatever.

Glad you enjoyed the game, but can we please stop grumbling about the attendance? Honestly we've flogged that dead horse enough already. I'm not endorsing it in any way, but as far as tonight went, the weather apparently wasn't promising (although that turned out to not be the case), a lot of fans are still reeling from that ****storm in KC this past weekend, and as far as why I wasn't there... I live in Dallas, TX and have only been back to Chicago once since Christmas, and the Sox were in Minnesota while I was there. For what it's worth I did get to go to see the Sox while they played in St. Louis at the new Busch Stadium. Didn't get to see the Sox while they were here in Arlington due to working each night they were here.

Noneck
08-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Nice win and got away with playing with 24 again. Now the Sox throw 2 lefties vs. the yanks.

Bob Roarman
08-21-2012, 01:39 AM
Glad you enjoyed the game, but can we please stop grumbling about the attendance? Honestly we've flogged that dead horse enough already. I'm not endorsing it in any way, but as far as tonight went, the weather apparently wasn't promising (although that turned out to not be the case), a lot of fans are still reeling from that ****storm in KC this past weekend, and as far as why I wasn't there... I live in Dallas, TX and have only been back to Chicago once since Christmas, and the Sox were in Minnesota while I was there. For what it's worth I did get to go to see the Sox while they played in St. Louis at the new Busch Stadium. Didn't get to see the Sox while they were here in Arlington due to working each night they were here.

It's not really a complaint as it is just plain old bewilderment. I just don't get it. The weather was fine before the game, it was beautiful out a few hours before the game. And I just don't buy the excuse of "they played bad for a streak". Every team does that. I remember they got swept by the Tigers the month before, fell out of first place, next home stand was against the lowly Twins, they got close to sell outs. I don't get it. Now it was half price night that game, but they drew pretty good the following games as well if i remember correctly. I mean, it's not like it's some sort of minor thing, it can be a problem. The way it's brushed off at times or something that gets swept under the rug or treated like it doesn't exist or the whole stupid attitude that we can't talk about it or else, it's all childish. It can and has been a real issue.

Noneck
08-21-2012, 01:47 AM
It's not really a complaint as it is just plain old bewilderment. I just don't get it. The weather was fine before the game, it was beautiful out a few hours before the game. And I just don't buy the excuse of "they played bad for a streak". Every team does that. I remember they got swept by the Tigers the month before, fell out of first place, next home stand was against the lowly Twins, they got close to sell outs. I don't get it. Now it was half price night that game, but they drew pretty good the following games as well if i remember correctly. I mean, it's not like it's some sort of minor thing, it can be a problem. The way it's brushed off at times or something that gets swept under the rug or treated like it doesn't exist or the whole stupid attitude that we can't talk about it or else, it's all childish. It can and has been a real issue.

Its a monday night, premium pricing, the seats available were not good, so 27k seems fine to me. If anyone is to blame its the yank fans for not showing up, that is what premium pricing is for, to get the other teams fans money. (cubs, yanks, boston)

Bob Roarman
08-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Its a monday night, premium pricing, the seats available were not good, so 27k seems fine to me. If anyone is to blame its the yank fans for not showing up, that is what premium pricing is for, to get the other teams fans money. (cubs, yanks, boston)

Seems fine? Pending on you having expected there to have been anywhere from a couple thousand or whatever amount more Yankee fans showing up? If that would've happened they would've outnumbered the Sox fans. Because it sure sounded like enough of them were there.

Noneck
08-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Seems fine? Pending on you having expected there to have been anywhere from 5-10,000 or whatever amount more Yankee fans showing up? If that would've happened they would've outnumbered the Sox fans. Because it sure sounded like enough of them were there.

Thats why they premium price these games, not for Sox fans but to get other teams fans. They dont care whos fans are in the seats just that they are premium paying fans.

When I say it seems fine to me, its because I wish the Sox would stop this premium pricing but they made more cash tonight than on a full house of Sox fans on a 1/2 price monday. So it will continue.

kufram
08-21-2012, 03:30 AM

Poor attendance is usually blamed on poor field performance or bad front office management. I'm not poor and I couldn't afford to go to many mlb games but I don't think it is all monetary.... although I do think that ALL kids in Chicago should be able to go to games cheaply. Discover what it takes to get big crowds at White Sox games and you will have done something.

Bob Roarman
08-21-2012, 04:28 AM
Poor attendance is usually blamed on poor field performance or bad front office management. I'm not poor and I couldn't afford to go to many mlb games but I don't think it is all monetary.... although I do think that ALL kids in Chicago should be able to go to games cheaply. Discover what it takes to get big crowds at White Sox games and you will have done something.

I agree, I don't think it's primarily for monetary oriented reasons either. I think that's an easy excuse though. It doesn't seem to always correlate with on field performance either, as indicated last month. 1st place team, heading into September, in a season where nothing was really expected of them. So who knows. Remember something similar in 05', though they were in a bit of skid at the same point. Still, a 1st place team and all those beautiful blue seats.

vinny
08-21-2012, 05:20 AM

how hard is that to believe? my era covers pretty much the entire divisonal era - since 1969.

And this is one of the best seasons in my era, as well.

Funny you should mention this. My first year as a fan was '72. I was thinking the other day what are my five favorite Sox seasons. I came up with (in chronological order)
'72 because it was my first. I didn't realize they were coming out of nowhere. It was fun because they were good and my first.
'77 - it was just a fun summer to be Sox fan. The fall sucked, but the summer sure was fun.
'83 - that was a really good team and my first Sox post-season. Unfortunately Tito ****ing Landrum ruined my 20th birthday.
'90 - an out of nowhere team that kept winning coming from behind and the start of some really good Sox careers with Thomas, Ventura, McDowell, Fernandez...I really liked that team.
'05 - for obvious reasons.

Since my birthday is August 20th, I have a vested interest in the Sox's position in the standings on this date. The first-place years since 1970:

- 1972 (67-48, Tied with the A's, 5 1/2 up on the Twins)
- 1983 (67-54, 8 up on the Royals)
- 1993 (66-54, 3 up on the Royals)
- 2000 (74-50, 8 up on the Indians)
- 2003 (66-61, Tied with the Royals, 1/2 up on the Twins)
- 2005 (74-46, 8 1/2 up on the Indians)
- 2008 (73-54, 1/2 up on the Twins)
- 2012 (66-55, 2 up on the Tigers)

1977 gets an honorable mention, we were up by 1/2 a game at the start of the day but the Royals had just started their hot streak (going 37-9 from August 17 through the end of the season). In 2003 the Royals faded and we kept up with the Twins until mid-September and then they left us in the dust.

Man, the Tribe has dropped like a stone. 4-15 in August and now in fourth place behind the Royals, 12 1/2 out.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Thats why they premium price these games, not for Sox fans but to get other teams fans. They dont care whos fans are in the seats just that they are premium paying fans.

When I say it seems fine to me, its because I wish the Sox would stop this premium pricing but they made more cash tonight than on a full house of Sox fans on a 1/2 price monday. So it will continue.

Yep, these weekday prime games can be tricky. Honestly, 27 K isn't a bad turnout. I've got a tickets to 2 games this weekend against Seattle for less than it cost to get tickets to 1 game against NYY and I don't have to sit with a bunch of New Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawkers for 4 hours and listen to them babble about how Jeter is the best defensive SS in baseball.

That said, I'm sure the Sox bean counters know what effect this prime pricing has on attendance, but they don't seem to care. I guess the Sox are just OK with breaking even most years and hoping they strike gold in these playoff years and make bank. At any rate, the last 7 years, the lowest payroll has been has $96 M so it's not like it's that big of an issue

Jollyroger2
08-21-2012, 07:02 AM
I agree, I don't think it's primarily for monetary oriented reasons either. I think that's an easy excuse though. It doesn't seem to always correlate with on field performance either, as indicated last month. 1st place team, heading into September, in a season where nothing was really expected of them. So who knows. Remember something similar in 05', though they were in a bit of skid at the same point. Still, a 1st place team and all those beautiful blue seats.

There are plenty of excuses. Price of tix, the sweep in Kansas City, there's always something. Fact is the Sox historically have not drawn well, even with a winning team. But no matter how it's spun or sliced, drawing well below capacity on a nice summer's night with NY in town is disappointing.

SCCWS
08-21-2012, 07:05 AM

Lets not get carried away. A banged up depleted team??? That would probably be the Yankees more than the White Sox. Now that may mean the white Sox are the better conditioned team.

SCCWS
08-21-2012, 07:19 AM

The problem is Gavin has given up 14 runs in 20 innings for his 4 starts in August which is an ERA of 7. Time to give him a bullpen rest and let Humber have another shot.

harwar
08-21-2012, 07:21 AM
.. although I do think that ALL kids in Chicago should be able to go to games cheaply.

i couldn't agree more .. i wish there was a way that kids could get in very cheaply on a regular basis .. i remember paying for games at the window with hand fulls of change .. i know that's in the past, but i hate to see America's kids lose touch with this great game ..

Bruizer
08-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Yep, these weekday prime games can be tricky. Honestly, 27 K isn't a bad turnout. I've got a tickets to 2 games this weekend against Seattle for less than it cost to get tickets to 1 game against NYY and I don't have to sit with a bunch of New Yaaaaaaaaaaaaawkers for 4 hours and listen to them babble about how Jeter is the best defensive SS in baseball.

That made me laugh out loud! We were surrounded by New Yorkers who were doing their "Let's Go Yankees" chant when they weren't talking about Jeter. They quieted down when we took the lead for good. :cool:

October26
08-21-2012, 08:17 AM
This thread's title made me laugh...no, the sky is not falling, although it feels that way to me as we currently have an outbreak of strep throat at my house. I am taking care of sick children and trying not to get sick myself.

Regarding last night's Sox game, I was thrilled to see the Sox battle back to beat the Yankees. The Sox looked like they were participating in the Home Run Derby last night. It was a very long game but, in the end, all that matters is that the Sox got the win! GO SOX!

Hitmen77
08-21-2012, 08:19 AM

The Sox were tied for first as late as Sept 14 in 2003.

One of my favorite Sox teams to not make the playoffs was the 1990 team. On this date in 1990, their record was 71-49. Alas, under the old two-division format, that was only good enough for 4.5 games behind the Steroid Brothers.

cards press box
08-21-2012, 08:20 AM
That made me laugh out loud! We were surrounded by New Yorkers who were doing their "Let's Go Yankees" chant when they weren't talking about Jeter. They quieted down when we took the lead for good. :cool:

Yankee fans can be hard to take, no doubt about that. But in the end, the Sox prevailed and stayed 2 games in front of Detroit.

:winner

slavko
08-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Monday and Tuesday in that Twins series were 1/2 price, IIRC. What's changed in 2012? Dynamic pricing, for one. It just might not work in our circumstances, whatever they are.

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 08:39 AM

The White Sox marketing and pricing strategy both SUCK.

To have < 30,000 vs. Yankees or weekend series vs. Angels and A's is completely pathetic- but they are pricing themselves out of the market of their fan base and they have not integrated the uniqueness of the 2012 team into their marketing at all- just ads of a guy talking to himself about the Sox, Robin Ventura talking to himself in an empty/offseason stadium, etc.

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Lets not get carried away. A banged up depleted team??? That would probably be the Yankees more than the White Sox. Now that may mean the white Sox are the better conditioned team.

Starting CF- disabled list
Starting 3B- sore knee
Starting RF- back issues
Starting 1B- came off DL 4 days ago, wrist/hand surgery in May
Opening Day starter (Danks)- out for season
Carrying 13th pitcher- to help limit innings for overworked bullpen- depleting bench

jdm2662
08-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I will NEVER attend a Yankees game, especially during the week ever again. Case in point was last night. I could barely watch the game because they are so damn boring to watch. I attended a week night game in 2008, and I didn't get home until 11:45. The other games I went to, I was home (and I live in Lombard) by 10:00. I realize they don't chase bad pitches, but for the love of God, there is no reason to play THAT slow. Of course, my life is much different than it was in 2008 and I can't even attend weeknight games anyway.

So, is this everyone's favorite Sox team again since they won a big game?

russ99
08-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Great comeback win, especially after bad weekend.

I was most impressed with Donnie Veal's super-nasty curveball that he can throw for strikes.

Veal has to stay up, and Robin should slot him between two fastball guys for extra effectiveness.

Hitmen77
08-21-2012, 09:01 AM

Seems fine? Pending on you having expected there to have been anywhere from a couple thousand or whatever amount more Yankee fans showing up? If that would've happened they would've outnumbered the Sox fans. Because it sure sounded like enough of them were there.

There are plenty of excuses. Price of tix, the sweep in Kansas City, there's always something. Fact is the Sox historically have not drawn well, even with a winning team. But no matter how it's spun or sliced, drawing well below capacity on a nice summer's night with NY in town is disappointing.

UUUGGGGGHHH!!!!!It's going to be a long remaining 6 weeks if we have to hear people gripe about attendance in every home post-game thread.
:gah:

Glad you enjoyed the game, but can we please stop grumbling about the attendance? Honestly we've flogged that dead horse enough already.

:thumbsup:

That said, I'm sure the Sox bean counters know what effect this prime pricing has on attendance, but they don't seem to care. I guess the Sox are just OK with breaking even most years and hoping they strike gold in these playoff years and make bank. At any rate, the last 7 years, the lowest payroll has been has $96 M so it's not like it's that big of an issue

Agreed. It's not bad for a weekday prime game and, regardless, it is what it is. Except for years when the Sox go into the season with a good number of pre-sales and season ticket sales (which was NOT the case this year), you're going to get numbers like this even with the team doing well. This is simply the historic pattern and it's not going to change any time soon.

Procol Harum
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM

"Jetah--he's a multi-racial angel!"

--The Other Guys (2010) :D:

TheOldRoman
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM

2008 all over again.

Let's hope not. No more give away games to bad teams please!I'm sure you know this, but Vazquez pitched game one against the Rays. And unlike Vazquez, Floyd has shown the ability to pitch well in high pressure games in the past. He is a streaky pitcher. If he is in a bad streak, he is gonna be bad. If he is on a hot streak, I would be content pitching him against Verlander. Gavin's problem this year is that he hasn't had a hot streak like in previous years. Regardless, unlike Vazquez, the moment never gets too big for Floyd. Had Floyd (along with Buehrle and Danks) not pitched well down the stretch on three days rest, the Sox wouldn't have gotten to the playoffs that year. Besides, in 2008 we finished with four starters - one of which was Vazquez, who did his best to hand the division away. The Sox now have six healthy starters, and even though Floyd and Humber aren't great, either of them could give you six innings most nights. I don't think we are going to get to the point where the rotation is in dire straights like that.

I will NEVER attend a Yankees game, especially during the week ever again. Case in point was last night. I could barely watch the game because they are so damn boring to watch. I attended a week night game in 2008, and I didn't get home until 11:45. The other games I went to, I was home (and I live in Lombard) by 10:00. I realize they don't chase bad pitches, but for the love of God, there is no reason to play THAT slow. Of course, my life is much different than it was in 2008 and I can't even attend weeknight games anyway.

So, is this everyone's favorite Sox team again since they won a big game?My DVR was recording two shows, so I stopped flipping back to the Sox game at 8 and just watched one of those shows. I tuned back to CSN to catch the final recap at 10:15 to see they were only in the 7th inning. :scratch: My first thought was that there had to be a rain delay. Then I remembered we were playing the freaking Yankees.

Marqhead
08-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Here's Gavin's problem:

ERA
Innings 1-3 5.27
Innings 4-6 3.94
Innings 7-9 3.12

SCCWS
08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Starting CF- disabled list
Starting 3B- sore knee
Starting RF- back issues
Starting 1B- came off DL 4 days ago, wrist/hand surgery in May
Opening Day starter (Danks)- out for season
Carrying 13th pitcher- to help limit innings for overworked bullpen- depleting bench

Tom: White Sox have 4 on DL and New York has 11. Many players are playing w sore everythings by this time of season. But compared to many teams, the White Sox are pretty healthy ( as usual). I think we have an outstanding training staff that have limited a lot of "out of shape" injuries that many teams get.

kittle42
08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
So much for this team not being "mentally tough", whatever the hell that even means.

It's a bunch of absolute bull**** is what it is.

jdm2662
08-21-2012, 10:32 AM
It's a bunch of absolute bull**** is what it is.

This team is just not Chicago Tough. I don't know how they are going to get past the big bad Tigers. They just don't have what it takes to be a winning team.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Nice win. (but then they weren't playing the Royals...) :D:

Lip

salty99
08-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Really nice to see them come back against such a quality team after getting down early. Let's win the series today and keep it going against the M's who have the best record in the AL since the AS break.

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Tom: White Sox have 4 on DL and New York has 11. Many players are playing w sore everythings by this time of season. But compared to many teams, the White Sox are pretty healthy ( as usual). I think we have an outstanding training staff that have limited a lot of "out of shape" injuries that many teams get.

I wasn't arguing that they are the MOST banged up team in the AL- just stating that they are banged up and depleted (only one bench position player on Sunday).

Zisk77
08-21-2012, 11:00 AM
I wonder if the possibility of seeing these schmucks come October was a factor in the Liriano pickup. Having 3 lefties out of your top 4 in the rotation is a pretty good way to handle the lefty lineup in the ballpark with the lefty short porch.

And the fact that the twinkies and Indians are left hand hitting dominant in our own division. The royals 3 young lions )Moustakas, Hosmer, Gordan) are also left handed sticks.

hawkjt
08-21-2012, 11:37 AM

Well said.
Since June 20, Gavin Floyd has 7 quality starts in the 10 starts over that period,including last nites debacle. His 3 non-quality starts were last nite, then a 5.1 inning 4 ER,and 6.1 inning 5 ER....last nite he gave up 3ER in 2.1 innings. Still, here is a guy who has had a 70% quality start rate over the last two months and fans want to string him up....and he is our 4th or 5th starter.

He is a critical guy for the Sox hopes down the stretch,and when he is on,he can shut down good teams,as he has done in the last two months.
He has a great record vs the Tigers in his career....and will face them in Detroit next week. So, get off his arse,Sox fans,and support the guy,as he is worthy of it.

Last nite heroes were plentiful...
DWise got the Sox off the mat with his 2 run bomb,when the whole team seemed deflated after the bad call on Alexei.
DWise has 9RBIs in 8 games as a Sox....another hugely impactful addition,immediately,much like Youk.

Gordo and Alexei were getting ripped by Bernstein yesterday as the worst hitters at their positions in the league,and promptly come thru with huge homers and Gordo had another big hit in front of DWise's homer,and Gordo had a big defensive play on Canu also. Nice answer to the Sabermetric freaks.

AJ keeps hitting...his glove seems slow lately but the bat is fine.
Now that Dunn has hit #400...seems like that dumb sign is not jinxing him...nice insurance shot in the 8th.
Tank has quietly gotten hot...finally. 11 game hitting streak,he seems to have popped into one of those zones like back in June....keep it going!
Chamberlein hit Youk...the Yankee announcers thought it was intentional,commenting on how many times he had hit Youk in the past and thrown over his head also....hmmmmm...dumb move by Chamberlein,but he might be dumb.
Good to see Matt Thornton go thru and inning clean...rare,but could help his confidence.
Hector settled the game down,altho he ended up giving up 3 runs...still,not bad.
Addison Reed rolls along...never real pretty,but the saves are piling up....well done,young man!!

Go get'em tonite,Frankie!! Liriano has had a decent record vs the Yanks in his career,and that includes some very bad outings when he was coming back from surgery. Love that Frankie and Sale,two leftys, are lined up for the Yanks.

TDog
08-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Gavin pitched game 162 in 2008. Which was looking a bit shaky until TCM hit a grand slam. Of course, he also lost game 4 in the ALDS - Upton hit two jacks off him.

Gavin is so damn frustrating to watch and root for.

I would have taken Floyd over the Tigers starter, Freddy Garcia, in Game 162 in 2008, and I would have taken him last night over the Yankees starter as well. Monday night Floyd wasn't as effective as he was in his start in Yankee Stadium where he gave up two two-run homers to the short porch in right. Against Garcia, the Sox twice failed to score runners from third with less than two outs, or the game would have been closer before the Sox knocked him out. If the Sox were to go into the ALDS with their pitching lined up as things stand today, I believe Floyd and Humber would be in the bullpen. I don't know if that could be said for the Yankees and Garcia.

Funny how the two-four-seasons-apart matchups between Floyd and Garcia ended up being decided by Alexei Ramirez home runs after Garcia left the game. So much has happened since 2008. Wise was leading off that Game 162. After Rios came, Wise wasn't re-signed, and he has been around, going back to the Blue Jays, who developed him and released him again, and to the Yankees, who needed him despite their vaunted depth. This year, two-thirds of Wise's home runs have come against teams that have told him his services were no longer required. And tonight's home run got the Sox back in the ballgame.

Being swept by the Royals may have given Ventura both the feeling of urgency to take Floyd out so soon and given him the tools of a fresh bullpen to do so. I don't believe the bullpen was used as aggressively as it should have been to win at least one and perhaps two of those games. Santiago did a good job of shutting the Yankees down, but it looked like he was done when he came back out to protect the first lead. After the Yankees went ahead I worried that the early missed opportunities would cost the Sox the game, but the Yankees had no more scoring left, and they couldn't hold the lead past Beckham, whose defense kept the Sox in the game in the first. Nice to see Garcia and Logan fair less well than Wise against their old team in what turned out to be a double comeback win for the Sox.

I was going to post in the pregame thread that Wise has been doing well this season against teams that have let him go. But I really don't want to see him try to get out the heart of the Yankees lineup from the mound this week.

JB98
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
The problem is Gavin has given up 14 runs in 20 innings for his 4 starts in August which is an ERA of 7. Time to give him a bullpen rest and let Humber have another shot.

Not in my world. Humber hasn't pitched well this year.

I'm not overjoyed with Floyd either, but he's the fifth-best starter on the team. Therefore, he stays in the rotation.

There are 13 pitchers on the roster. I don't think the Sox bullpen is all that taxed. Santiago is probably the only reliever unavailable for tonight's game.

Not to mention, Floyd had thrown six or more innings in six consecutive starts before last night. Let's not pretend he's causing any sort of bullpen burnout.

palehosepub
08-21-2012, 01:10 PM
l liked the way Robin went out there and got Floyd out early. It was good for the game situation and also sent a message to Floyd. Floyd's issues appear to be mental. I think he needs a kick in the posterior at times and maybe this latest outing will fire him up. I read that Floyd was visibly upset in the dugout , that he kicked / threw a few things. Good, time to kick it up a notch. I think he is capable of more.

RCWHITESOX
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
l liked the way Robin went out there and got Floyd out early. It was good for the game situation and also sent a message to Floyd. Floyd's issues appear to be mental. I think he needs a kick in the posterior at times and maybe this latest outing will fire him up. I read that Floyd was visibly upset in the dugout , that he kicked / threw a few things. Good, time to kick it up a notch. I think he is capable of more.

I just don't think you will get much more from Floyd. He is about as average as you can get. He reminds me a lot of John Garland; you never knew what kind of pitcher you were going to get start to start. I hope they move Floyd and Humber next year.

kittle42
08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I hope they move Floyd and Humber next year.

Humber is worth the bag of balls we got him for.

Floyd can have value as long as there are teams who think they can get him to be consistent.

jdm2662
08-21-2012, 02:04 PM
My DVR was recording two shows, so I stopped flipping back to the Sox game at 8 and just watched one of those shows. I tuned back to CSN to catch the final recap at 10:15 to see they were only in the 7th inning. :scratch: My first thought was that there had to be a rain delay. Then I remembered we were playing the freaking Yankees.

When CC pitches, it's at least tolerable. He actually pitches at a decent pace. Of course, the Sox are like 4-18 lifetime vs CC. So, I don't want them facing him...

I was at a game earlier this season against the Indians. It was a 3:10 start. the final score was 14-7. The game was over at 5:50. The Spankmees take slow to another level.

SephClone89
08-21-2012, 02:12 PM
The Spankmees

Brilliant.

slavko
08-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Here's Gavin's problem:

ERA
Innings 1-3 5.27
Innings 4-6 3.94
Innings 7-9 3.12

The question contains the answer. The only way he gets to innings 7-9 is if he's not having a "bad hair day." When he's throwing good, 3.12 is not unusual.

voodoochile
08-21-2012, 02:49 PM
I would have taken Floyd over the Tigers starter, Freddy Garcia, in Game 162 in 2008, and I would have taken him last night over the Yankees starter as well. Monday night Floyd wasn't as effective as he was in his start in Yankee Stadium where he gave up two two-run homers to the short porch in right. Against Garcia, the Sox twice failed to score runners from third with less than two outs, or the game would have been closer before the Sox knocked him out. If the Sox were to go into the ALDS with their pitching lined up as things stand today, I believe Floyd and Humber would be in the bullpen. I don't know if that could be said for the Yankees and Garcia.

Funny how the two-four-seasons-apart matchups between Floyd and Garcia ended up being decided by Alexei Ramirez home runs after Garcia left the game. So much has happened since 2008. Wise was leading off that Game 162. After Rios came, Wise wasn't re-signed, and he has been around, going back to the Blue Jays, who developed him and released him again, and to the Yankees, who needed him despite their vaunted depth. This year, two-thirds of Wise's home runs have come against teams that have told him his services were no longer required. And tonight's home run got the Sox back in the ballgame.

Being swept by the Royals may have given Ventura both the feeling of urgency to take Floyd out so soon and given him the tools of a fresh bullpen to do so. I don't believe the bullpen was used as aggressively as it should have been to win at least one and perhaps two of those games. Santiago did a good job of shutting the Yankees down, but it looked like he was done when he came back out to protect the first lead. After the Yankees went ahead I worried that the early missed opportunities would cost the Sox the game, but the Yankees had no more scoring left, and they couldn't hold the lead past Beckham, whose defense kept the Sox in the game in the first. Nice to see Garcia and Logan fair less well than Wise against their old team in what turned out to be a double comeback win for the Sox.

I was going to post in the pregame thread that Wise has been doing well this season against teams that have let him go. But I really don't want to see him try to get out the heart of the Yankees lineup from the mound this week.

It never hurts to send a message that the team needs to have a sense of urgency during a playoff chase.

voodoochile
08-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Here's Gavin's problem:

ERA
Innings 1-3 5.27
Innings 4-6 3.94
Innings 7-9 3.12

The question contains the answer. The only way he gets to innings 7-9 is if he's not having a "bad hair day." When he's throwing good, 3.12 is not unusual.

This is something I (and I'm sure others) have noticed. Gavin struggles early and then seems to pitch well. I recall someone commenting that he was too strong when he got the extra day(s) off earlier this month and as a result his curve wasn't breaking as much it needs to because he was over throwing it. Maybe the Sox need to warm him up harder so he gets to the mound and has more break. Maybe he will go less innings but at least the team won't be constantly digging out of a hole when he pitches.

Crestani
08-21-2012, 03:26 PM

You must be very young then? In the fifties and sixties it was common to go down to the last couple of weeks in the season fighting it out with the Yankees. In '67 four teams went down to the last game of the season..!!

TomBradley72
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
[/FONT][/B]

You must be very young then? In the fifties and sixties it was common to go down to the last couple of weeks in the season fighting it out with the Yankees. In '67 four teams went down to the last game of the season..!!

A very young 49 yo. :)

A fan since 1971- the dogfight vs. Detroit in September could make this the most intense September finish I've experienced-

soxinem1
08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
C.C. seems to have the Sox number

I don't think Hughes and Nova have been all that bad against us either.

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2012, 04:53 PM

A fan since 1971- the dogfight vs. Detroit in September could make this the most intense September finish I've experienced-

The only up side: 4 of those 7 games are in Chicago.
And I believe it's a given that the Sox will see Verlander in BOTH series.

amsteel
08-21-2012, 05:03 PM
the dogfight vs. Detroit in September could make this the most intense September finish I've experienced-

Dogfight might be a bit of an overstatement.

thus far it's been more like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49GWlMXmyQc

LITTLE NELL
08-21-2012, 05:44 PM

After the huge lead we had in 2005, September became very intense.
2008 was very intense with the Sox beating 3 different teams in 3 days to make the playoffs.