PDA

View Full Version : First visit to Chicago!

flyfishdude
08-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Greetings, My son and daughter-in-law and I will be making our inaugural pilgrimage to Chicago from Montana to see our first White Sox game at Comiskey (still can't call it us cellular, or even the cell for that matter) Anyway I have a few questions....We're staying at the Sheraton downtown and have heard that it's best to take the Red line to the game and Green after...thoughts? Also how early will we be able to get into the game? Is there any way to get in earlier? (i've heard maybe patio tickets?) Lastly any tips/advice are greatly appreciated. GO:sox!!!!!!

beasly213
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM
Yep. Red Line is the best bet. Before and after actually. Some people say the Red Line gets too crowded but it's not awful.

Gates open 2 hours before game time if I recall correctly.

doublem23
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
As long as you have no real apprehension about taking the CTA in Chicago (and this is more along the lines of not being worried if about making sure you go to the right stops, etc.) then I'd say the Red Line to and the Green Line home are your best bets.

If you're planning on doing any other site seeing in the city via the CTA, you may also want to look into the day passes. 1 trip on the train costs $2.25 per person, so every time all three of you board the train, that's $6.75. If you're just going to and from the game one time, then your total would be $13.50. But if you're going to dinner or lunch before the game, you would probably end up spending either $20.25 or $27 depending on if your 2-hour transfer window expired.

What I'm getting at is the CTA has unlimited ride 1-day passes and 3-day passes on sale for $5.75 and $14 respectively. Everyone would need their own pass, but if you're going to do anything in Chicago other than go to and from the Sox game, you save money in the long run with the passes. You can buy them from pretty much any Walgreen's or grocery store in the city and most of the metro area. Might be worth checking out.

Gates open at the park 90 minutes before the scheduled first pitch, unless it's a Kids Day in which case it's 2 hours.

Finally, nacho helmets (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q83PEep5F-U/TdJd-qGU04I/AAAAAAAAAXA/l9Hae_LIhTA/s1600/IMG_4464.JPG). You're welcome.

Brian26
08-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Finally, nacho helmets (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q83PEep5F-U/TdJd-qGU04I/AAAAAAAAAXA/l9Hae_LIhTA/s1600/IMG_4464.JPG). You're welcome.

That would be a great screen saver.

ChiSoxGal85
08-20-2012, 11:29 PM
That would be a great screen saver.
When I saw that picture, I thought of a new marketing gimmick for the nachos: "Game-worn nacho helmets".

(pardon me if someone else has already cracked that joke.)

soxgirl617
08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't know of any way to get into stadium before the gates open (90 minutes before the game). I just went to a Patio Party, and the gates opened the same time as the rest of the park---no earlier. However, Bacardi at the Park, the sports bar at the stadium, opens at 11 a.m. on game days, so you could go down a little early if you wanted to soak up a little atmosphere. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/bacardiatthepark/index.jsp You might also want to walk outside the stadium, near home plate (essentially 35th and Shields), to see the commemorative bricks, etc. It's kind of cool.

While I often take the Green Line (instead of the Red Line), for visitors I recommend taking the Red Line both ways. The Red Line is more crowded after a game than the Green, but not horribly so. (Tip: walk all the way down to the end of the platform after the game. People tend to stop near the bottom of the stairs onto the platform, but the train pulls all the way into the station.) If you take the Red Line back, you'll save the hassle of a transfer from the Green to the Red Line. Although come to think of it, since you're staying at the Sheraton, you could walk from the State and Lake stop (Green Line) after the game if you want. So, I don't think it matters, either way.

Congrats on your first pilgrimage. Have a great time!

bunkaroo
08-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Actually I take a pass these days on the nacho helmets. All you get is cold shredded cheese. It needs warm cheese sauce to pull it together. It's basically a taco salad in a helmet right now.

My replacement is the Irish Nacho helmet.

ChiSoxFann
08-21-2012, 03:28 PM

I haven't bought too many Nacho Helmets this year. At $13.50 a pop the cost adds up, but I'll probably grab one at my next game. I've seen the little green helmets around, but what exactly is in an Irish Nacho Helmet? Do they sell them in the 500 level? I may try one before the season is over.

doublem23
08-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Actually I take a pass these days on the nacho helmets. All you get is cold shredded cheese. It needs warm cheese sauce to pull it together. It's basically a taco salad in a helmet right now.

I agree in principle, but I can also see how nacho cheese might be too messy for a ballgame.

At $13.50 per, I think it's still the best bargain at the park

fisk4ever
08-21-2012, 10:24 PM
For transportation to other sites there is a free shuttle near your hotel. Also, maybe 3-4 blocks away is a Fox & Obel deli ---good for picking up some snacks or desserts for your hotel room.

DSpivack
08-21-2012, 10:36 PM
I haven't bought too many Nacho Helmets this year. At $13.50 a pop the cost adds up, but I'll probably grab one at my next game. I've seen the little green helmets around, but what exactly is in an Irish Nacho Helmet? Do they sell them in the 500 level? I may try one before the season is over.

No idea if they sell them on the 500 level, but I bought one a few weeks ago on the OF concourse. I bought irish nachos, however, not the nacho helmet; smaller size, lesser price (though I do not recall the exact price, I want to say it was around $7 or so).

doublem23
08-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Irish Nachos were french fries covered in melted nacho cheese, sour cream, chives, and crumbled bacon.

I think they cost around $6.50 a pop, I'd be stunned if they don't have them upstairs, but not sure where they'd be.

palehosepub
08-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I know they sell the Irish Nachos in the Irish Pub section of the center field fan deck (lower level).

Tried to split one with my daughter - not good.

Cold and gloppy.

bunkaroo
08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
I always get my Irish Nachos out at the center field concession stand. Always been good. This is the second year they've had them.

They should probably just call them loaded cheese fries though since many don't seem to understand the Irish angle. I've had many people ask me where I got the cheese fries.

Funniest concession is still the "Hot Asian buns".

beasly213
08-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I just noticed at the game yesterday they have a 15 scoop ice cream helemet that is a blue Sox helmet.

I must give this a try!

bunkaroo
08-22-2012, 12:13 PM
I just noticed at the game yesterday they have a 15 scoop ice cream helemet that is a blue Sox helmet.

I must give this a try!

Woh!

And here I thought Da Triple Play on the club level was the biggest guarantee of a grabber at the ballpark.