PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-19 Unbe-sweeping-lievable; KC 5 SOX 2 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2012, 03:57 PM
At least Detroit lost...

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2012, 03:58 PM
That's one pathetic weekend.

harwar
08-19-2012, 03:58 PM
what the hell was that ..

Hartman
08-19-2012, 03:59 PM
This team is schziophrenic.

aryzner
It's a good thing Detroit also sucks at baseball.

OmahaSoxFan
Swept by the ****ing Royals!!!! :whiner:

LoveYourSuit
08-19-2012, 04:00 PM
I think I get more frustrated with this team than enjoyment.

Hartman
Continued failure against guys with 5-12 records and 5+ ERAs makes you just want to avoid the game altogether

MtGrnwdSoxFan
Swept by the mother****ing Royals.

We were swept by the mother****ing Royals.

THE MOTHER****ING ROYALS.

This is beyond words.

Boondock Saint
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM

This is beyond words.

This.

LITTLE NELL
08-19-2012, 04:02 PM

This is beyond words.

Yeah, but how do you really feel?

Hitmen77
MENDOZA: :tiphat:

CHEN: :whiteflag:

GUTHRIE: :anon:

Just too many aces for the Sox to handle. :angry:

thomas35forever
Yeah, I'm gonna wanna forget this one. And we get the Yankees next. Great.

aryzner
08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Anyone on this board could have pitched for the Royals today and won. It really does look that easy. The sad thing is that I'm sort of not even joking.

LoveYourSuit
Gordon Beckham 's 8th inning 2-0 swing summed up this series.

I hate him. Most disliked Sox for me.

Hitmen77
Swept by the ****ing Royals!!!! :whiner:

We get to face the KC juggernaut 6 more times in September.

:puking:

EdHerman12
08-19-2012, 04:04 PM
We get swept by these guys...and only lose only one game in the standings...thank you baseball Gods!

GO WHITE SOX!

Soxman219
08-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, this blows. Embarrassing. I knew this team would have a letdown after winning 3 out of 4 in Toronto. Sox had two opportunities this weekend to increase the division lead and blew it twice. Still have 6 more games with these guys too.:mad:

Jurr
08-19-2012, 04:05 PM
We get swept by these guys...and only lose only one game in the standings...thank you baseball Gods!

GO WHITE SOX!
Don't worry. We'll lose plenty more games in the standings after the week is up. Yikes.

Moses_Scurry
08-19-2012, 04:06 PM

As strange as it may be, I feel a hell of a lot more confident going against the Yanks than the Royals on the road.

SpartanSoxFan
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
If you had told me at the beginning of the year that the Sox would win 3 of 4 games AT Toronto, then immediately get swept at Kansas City, I would have told you to put the ****ing crack pipe down.

Possibly the most disturbing stat from the series:

In the past two games, the White Sox have given up 7 RUNS from the 8th inning on.

That, folks, is not going to get it done in a tight pennant chase.

Soxman219
08-19-2012, 04:07 PM

You kidding? The Sox will probably win 2 out of 3 in that series. They always show up against great teams but suck against crappy teams.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-19-2012, 04:10 PM
You kidding? The Sox will probably win 2 out of 3 in that series. They always show up against great teams but suck against crappy teams.

They only suck against crappy teams from Kansas City.

They also suck against that good team from Detroit too.

aryzner
08-19-2012, 04:11 PM
They only suck against crappy teams from Kansas City.

They also suck against that good team from Detroit too.

What good team from Detroit?

doublem23
08-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Actually no they don't and no they don't

Lip Man 1
08-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Sox could get swept away by the garbage ****ing Kansas City Royals and their minor league pitchers.

Simply amazing...way to turn a good road trip into a bad one.

This team should be embarrassed.

Looking forward to seeing what excuses they offer to the papers tomorrow.

You can bet the Sox will see the exact same three pitchers again in September and why not. The Royals are probably laughing their asses off at the Sox expense. Kansas City is simply the latest incarnation of what began in Oakland in 2001 and moved through Minnesota and Toronto.

The only thing that's keeping me from punching a wall right now is my grandson is coming up from Texas today with my daughter in law.

Lip

tstrike2000
08-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Maybe they'll remove their heads from their buttocks after this series.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-19-2012, 04:14 PM
What good team from Detroit?

That good team we'll be fighting to the death for a playoff spot against.

ChiSoxGal85
08-19-2012, 04:15 PM
As strange as it may be, I feel a hell of a lot more confident going against the Yanks than the Royals on the road.
This.

Last year, for my birthday we went to the Cell to see the Sox against the Royals and Cy Chen, and at that game, Sox played exactly like they did this weekend. Awful. I left that game totally discouraged and annoyed...yep, I'm there again.

The only thing that made this less painful was the Tigers blowing a 5-0 first inning lead to lose 7-5 to the Orioles.

Before the next Royals series, I really hope the Sox staff sits down and analyzes what the hell is going on with the Royals pitching that it continually shuts down the Sox. It's pretty obvious whatever approach they're using is not working.

JB98
08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
When the Royals weren't beating the Sox, the Sox were busy beating themselves. Hosmer threw the Sox a lifeline with that ridiculous error in the top of the eighth inning. But the Sox couldn't stand prosperity. They went out in the bottom of the inning and immediately began walking people and playing poor defense, making sure the Royals would win.

None of this comes as any surprise. I said in last night's postgame thread the Sox had no chance today. The Royals are in the Sox heads, and that's how it is.

The Sox will have to win the division by beating other teams, because they'll be lucky to sneak out two wins in the remaining six games against Kansas City.

Fortunately, the Sox still own a 1 1/2-game lead. There's no reason for us to quit while we're ahead.

amsteel
08-19-2012, 04:16 PM
The Sox and Tigers arent in a division chase as much as theyre in a drunken, blindfolded, three legged race while huffing ether.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2012, 04:17 PM
I agree JB, it's mental...which says a lot to me about the club.

Lip

JB98
08-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Lip

Thing is, the Sox have shown a lot of mental toughness in a lot of different situations this year. I don't think it is a mentally weak team overall. At least not this year. It has been a mentally weak team in years past.

For whatever reason, these guys turn into sobbing puddles of water at the mere sight of The Great Mendoza, Cy Chen and Catfish Guthrie.

amsteel
08-19-2012, 04:20 PM
This series takes the Sox, what, 3 years to get over mentally?

JB98
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
This series takes the Sox, what, 3 years to get over mentally?

I don't think so. The Sox have avoided long losing streaks all year. They've been resilient. People (including me) thought they were ****ed after they got swept in Detroit. They bounced right back with a five-game winning streak three against Minnesota and two against Texas.

We as fans will need time to get over it because we still carry all the scars from the Ozzie Guillen Era. We assume they'll fold like a tent because they did under the previous regime.

I'm willing to give Robin and his staff a clean slate, although it won't be easy bouncing back against the Yankees.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Sox are now 25-22 in the division this year and they started out 5-1 in said games. You do the math.

Lip

amsteel
08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
I don't think so. The Sox have avoided long losing streaks all year. They've been resilient. People (including me) thought they were ****ed after they got swept in Detroit. They bounced right back with a five-game winning streak three against Minnesota and two against Texas.

We as fans will need time to get over it because we still carry all the scars from the Ozzie Guillen Era. We assume they'll fold like a tent because they did under the previous regime.

I'm willing to give Robin and his staff a clean slate, although it won't be easy bouncing back against the Yankees.

Sorry, I meant against the Royals specifically. They'll be fine against everyone else. It's the 13 remaining games against KC and DET that worry me.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
08-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Sox are now 25-22 in the division this year and they started out 5-1 in said games. You do the math.

Lip

Ironically, our saving grace in the division this year has been the Twins and Indians, both teams we've had myriad issues with in recent years.

TDog
08-19-2012, 04:57 PM

GO WHITE SOX!

And the Tigers were playing at home where they allegedly are magical. Today the Tigers lost after getting out to a 5-0 lead in the first with their second-best pitcher on the mound.

If you only look at averages, the results don't make sense. But the Royals announcers were talking about how Guthrie has changed his motion so that he doesn't tip his ptiches. Since leaving a start against the Rangers in the seventh trailing 2-1 (the bullpen gave up the a runner he had left at first), he had pitched 15 scoreless innings coming into today's game. Granted, eight of those innings were against the White Sox. In the last game Guthrie pitched against the Sox last year for Baltimore, the Sox scored five runs against him.

Or maytbe I'm wrong and it's time to fire the manager and the hitting coach.

Regardless of their record, the Royals are playing to win, and they are playing without the pressure of a playing for a postseason spot. Their lineup is full of good young hitters who want to show they belong in the major leagues. They really should have lost today's game because of Hosmer's mistake at first, but the White Sox bullpen, which put Saturday's game out of reach, lost it. Good thing they didn't bring Thorton in. Really, the only reliver who did his job the last two games was Humber, who held the Royals long enough for the White Sox to pull within one despite being outplayed.

Ultimately, the reason the White Sox didn't sweep the Royals this weekend was that they didn't play good baseball. Maybe Sale stayed in Friday night's game too long. Maybe the White Sox intentionally walked too many hitters becuase their pitchers didn't believe they could get hitters out. Maybe the White Sox are playing too tight against a team that has nothing to lose.

Quintana, though, was fortunate to get out of today's game giving up only two runs. It's not many innings where a pitcher faces five hitters, retires only one of them, finishes the inning with the opposition hitting .800 against him for the frame and isn't scored upon.

After the White Sox were swept in Detroit and the national media was crowing Detroit with their 1.5-game lead the division champs, the White Sox were back in first a couple of days later and 1.5 up at the end of the next weekend. They remain 1.5 up despite being swept this weekend.

And as for the hit that broke up the no-hitter, I thought it was a gutsy call by the officical scorer to give Konerko a hit. It would have been a hit under just about any other circumstance. You really have no one to give the error to. You can't give an error to a shortstop who goes deep in the hole to backhand a grounder.and throw across the diamond unless the throw puts the runner at second. If he hadn't thrown the ball, it would have been a hit, even if he had bobbled it. You can't give a first baseman an error for failing to scoop the ball out of the dirt. Fortunately, the Sox got to Guthrie with two outs in the eighth so that the league isn't pressured into changing the ruling.

34rancher
08-19-2012, 05:07 PM
This is just the inconsistencies of young pitching and hitters who are swinging for the fences as we seem to be lately. This is an exciting, frustrating, and head scratching team. I hope they start finding some ways to manufacture runs consistently for the last two months.

Tragg
08-19-2012, 05:10 PM
The Tigers are a flawed team, but they were also playing a good team.
We have a terrible bench...we've known that all year, we now need the bench so it's now a problem, and Williams didn't make much of an effort to improve it (which would have required taking on some salaries after August 1).

doublem23
08-19-2012, 05:24 PM
We have a terrible bench...we've known that all year, we now need the bench so it's now a problem, and Williams didn't make much of an effort to improve it (which would have required taking on some salaries after August 1).

Despite their record, the O's really aren't that good

Noneck
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Its not his money he gets to play with, the house give him his stake and thats all he can play with.

SCCWS
08-19-2012, 05:37 PM
This is just the inconsistencies of young pitching and hitters who are swinging for the fences as we seem to be lately..

Did you happen to watch the consistencies of the young KC pitchers and hitters???

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Yes, I wish the Sox had a stronger bench. Actually, I wish they had so many starting-caliber infielders and outfielders, that Robin had to rotate them and they all produced like All Stars.

Nevertheless, KW addressed the most glaring holes by acquiring a starting pitcher, a reliever with closing experience, and a third baseman. That leaves bench depth as our biggest hole, and if you have to choose a place to have a hole, it's best to hide it on the bench.

Tragg
08-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Its not his money he gets to play with, the house give him his stake and thats all he can play with.

Maybe so. But we didn't make an effort, whether the fault of JR, Williams or the man in the moon.
But having a hitter who's batting c. 300 obp at the top of your order (and that's in the midst of a hot streak; the norm is in the .260 range) is a problem. Honestly, I might put Rios there - when Wise is hot, a lot of his hits are homers. Just as soon have some runners on ahead of him.

Despite their record, the O's really aren't that good
11 above in baseball's toughest division says they are. But they do have a negative run differential, which has probative worth to some. Regardless, they aren't the Royals and I hope you are proven right in our upcoming series against them.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Ugly weekend. Luckily, the Birds helped us out.

The Yanks have beaten us up in Chicago over the last few years. That trend needs to stop now.

guillensdisciple
08-19-2012, 05:48 PM
As a poster said we just had to go out there and have fun while showing sportsmanship. I believe we accomplished that and everyone is a winner today,

Noneck
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Maybe so. But we didn't make an effort, whether the fault of JR, Williams or the man in the moon.
But having a hitter who's batting c. 300 obp at the top of your order (and that's in the midst of a hot streak; the norm is in the .260 range) is a problem. Honestly, I might put Rios there - when Wise is hot, a lot of his hits are homers. Just as soon have some runners on ahead of him.

I have said that they should have been doing whatever it takes in order to strengthen this club before the trade deadline and after. The moves Williams has made show me that he has been trying and as far as I know no one is currently on the moon, so that leaves one when it comes to who is at fault.

RCWHITESOX
08-19-2012, 06:16 PM
The Sox just stunk this weekend; can't figure out why but that's why they play the game. There isn't much you can say; except that they turn it around when they get home. I still can't figure how they could have got swept with their 3 best starters going in that series.

soltrain21
08-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Lip

What does it tell you about the club? I see a team in first place.

TaylorStSox
08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Of all the major sports, sometimes baseball makes the least amount of sense. That's all I got.:scratch:

SpartanSoxFan
08-19-2012, 07:52 PM
What does it tell you about the club? I see a team in first place.

But what does it say about the club's staying power, i.e. whether or not they will actually hold on to that lead and win the division???

PushinWeight
08-19-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll bet the Sox take at least 2/3 from the Yankees. That is how this season works.

RadioheadRocks
08-19-2012, 07:54 PM
The Sox and Tigers arent in a division chase as much as theyre in a drunken, blindfolded, three legged race while huffing ether.

This.

And I'm getting pretty sick of the "it's one more day off the schedule" mentality that seems prevalent these days. I'm not saying don't have confidence in your team, but let's not be delusional either. This KC series stunk to high heaven and the team definitely needs to refocus. "One more day off the schedule" is nothing more than complacency, and complacency is NOT going to get us into the post-season.

JB98
08-19-2012, 07:58 PM
But what does it say about the club's staying power, i.e. whether or not they will actually hold on to that lead and win the division???

It says nothing really. You can find examples of the Tigers clowning it up against bad teams and blowing games they should have won, just as you can find examples of the Sox blowing games they should have won.

Detroit didn't look much like a contender when it got swept by Seattle and Cleveland, nor did it look like a contender on the 3-6 road trip it had recently. But the Tigers are contenders. So are the Sox.

You are never as bad as you look when you're going bad. You are never as good as you look when you're going good either.

all*star quentin
08-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Unlike others, I won't single out one player. They Win as a team, they lose as a team.

I still like this team. Start Winning, boys! :gulp:

StillMissOzzie
08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
A lost weekend. Ugh.

I am reduced to hoping the Red Sox battle the Yankees into extra innings tonight to give our boys a fighting chance in at least one of them.

SMO
:o:

TDog
08-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Lip

What did losing their last five games to the league's two worst teams tell you about the 1967 White Sox when it left them three games out of first? Maybe they had a lousy manager who couldn't instill mental toughness in his team.

The season is full of ups and downs. Every team has them. In 2005, the White Sox had a historic collapse because they weren't mentally tough and really not so much good as lucky, as a Cubs fan I worked with was so happy to tell me that September.

But I don't think this weekend has anything big to say about the 2012 White Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I hate comparing everything to the 2005 team, but like it or not, within our lifetimes that is the benchmark by which all other Sox teams are judged.

I think the 2012 Sox are similar to the 2005 Sox: strong starting pitching, outstanding defense and fielding fundamentals, and decent power throughout most of the lineup. But there are two ways the 2005 Sox were superior:

First, the 2005 club had a much more reliable middle relief corps.

Second, the 2005 Sox were much better at scoring without hitting home runs. This was especially true early in the season before the weather got hot and the balls started flying, and again in the postseason. Whether it was manufacturing runs with bunts and grounders behind the runner, or stringing together several hits, that team could score without hitting homers much more effectively than any other Sox team in recent memory, other than perhaps the 1990 squad (which obviously had a notable lack of power).

These two aspects mean the 2012 Sox are much less successful in tight games than the 2005 club was, and thus accounts for the difference in record.

SephClone89
08-19-2012, 08:41 PM
And I'm getting pretty sick of the "it's one more day off the schedule" mentality that seems prevalent these days. I'm not saying don't have confidence in your team, but let's not be delusional either. This KC series stunk to high heaven and the team definitely needs to refocus. "One more day off the schedule" is nothing more than complacency, and complacency is NOT going to get us into the post-season.

Well, I mean, it literally could.

palehozenychicty
08-19-2012, 08:47 PM
It says nothing really. You can find examples of the Tigers clowning it up against bad teams and blowing games they should have won, just as you can find examples of the Sox blowing games they should have won.

Detroit didn't look much like a contender when it got swept by Seattle and Cleveland, nor did it look like a contender on the 3-6 road trip it had recently. But the Tigers are contenders. So are the Sox.

You are never as bad as you look when you're going bad. You are never as good as you look when you're going good either.

Indeed. The AL is very competitive. If the Royals could get this pitching every night, they could be in the chase. Don't laugh.

ChicagoG19
08-19-2012, 08:54 PM
This going to happen when a team is as reliant on home runs as this team is. They are going to go into funks when they can't score any runs, but they are going to adjust the approach come playoff time (hopefully). Home runs are going to be a lot harder to come by.

amsteel
08-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, I mean, it literally could.

It could also have us 5 back by this time next week, too.

JB98
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM
Indeed. The AL is very competitive. If the Royals could get this pitching every night, they could be in the chase. Don't laugh.

That it is. I wasn't printing any World Series tickets when the Sox beat Texas five straight times in July, so I see no reason why I should throw in the towel over five August losses to the Royals.

In baseball, it's wise to abstain from drawing grand conclusions over one game, one series, or even a couple weeks worth of games.

The only thing getting swept in Kansas City proves is the fact that the Sox sucked this weekend. They were horse****, in fact, but that doesn't mean anything for tomorrow, next weekend or next month.

I don't know why we insist on saying these losses have some sort of grander meaning than anything else that has happened during the season.

TDog
08-19-2012, 09:25 PM
I hate comparing everything to the 2005 team, but like it or not, within our lifetimes that is the benchmark by which all other Sox teams are judged.

I think the 2012 Sox are similar to the 2005 Sox: strong starting pitching, outstanding defense and fielding fundamentals, and decent power throughout most of the lineup. But there are two ways the 2005 Sox were superior:

First, the 2005 club had a much more reliable middle relief corps.

Second, the 2005 Sox were much better at scoring without hitting home runs. This was especially true early in the season before the weather got hot and the balls started flying, and again in the postseason. Whether it was manufacturing runs with bunts and grounders behind the runner, or stringing together several hits, that team could score without hitting homers much more effectively than any other Sox team in recent memory, other than perhaps the 1990 squad (which obviously had a notable lack of power).

These two aspects mean the 2012 Sox are much less successful in tight games than the 2005 club was, and thus accounts for the difference in record.

I think you're spot-on. By the end of the season, the 2005 Sox were closing with a rookie, but it was certainly a more experienced bullpen, and one where a couple of guys came together with their best seasons. The White Sox are loaded with talented rookies, but they haven't been through the rigors of a major league season before, and along with the physical wear, they can be inconsistent. That may be why Ventura has been going so deep with his starters pretty much all season.

I've always been a bit frustrated with the current offense. Really, it has done a great job at hitting with runners in scoring position. The problem is that especially recently, the Sox haven't been getting many runners in scoring position. There isn't enough hitting when there isn't home run hitting. I would like White Sox home runs more if they came after four or five singles.

BigKlu59
08-19-2012, 09:30 PM
That it is. I wasn't printing any World Series tickets when the Sox beat Texas five straight times in July, so I see no reason why I should throw in the towel over five August losses to the Royals.

In baseball, it's wise to abstain from drawing grand conclusions over one game, one series, or even a couple weeks worth of games.

The only thing getting swept in Kansas City proves is the fact that the Sox sucked this weekend. They were horse****, in fact, but that doesn't mean anything for tomorrow, next weekend or next month.

I don't know why we insist on saying these losses have some sort of grander meaning than anything else that has happened during the season.

Well put... I know it sucks it was a team they were supposed to beat on paper, but sometimes that paper can make a great bunch of spit balls..

Hang tough.. Better than being out of the race and 25 games out as they are on the Northside.. Nothing is easy..Thats why they have to play the game to the last out, wheather exhuberant or painful...

BK59

CoopaLoop
08-19-2012, 10:02 PM
1.5 game lead after being swept.

No Sabathia, no Kuroda vs the Yankees.

doublem23
08-19-2012, 10:14 PM
This.

You can't seriously believe that anything people psst here has any real effect or insight into the workings if the Sox's, right? It doesn't matter how jacked up out complacent you or I are. The only thing that matters is how the guys in the field are doing and I have a decent feeling that pro ballplayers don't need to be lectured on the grind the last 50 or so games can be.

But anyways, it's one more day off the schedule so it's all good

slavko
08-19-2012, 11:01 PM

Whatever bench we had was traded away to fill holes. Not that the bench wasn't a hole before. Now it's a big hole. Kenny's at his best when he has no bucks to work with. The opposite's also true.

delben91
08-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Never in my wildest dreams did I think the Sox could get swept away by the garbage ****ing Kansas City Royals and their minor league pitchers.

Simply amazing...way to turn a good road trip into a bad one.

This team should be embarrassed.

Looking forward to seeing what excuses they offer to the papers tomorrow.

You can bet the Sox will see the exact same three pitchers again in September and why not. The Royals are probably laughing their asses off at the Sox expense. Kansas City is simply the latest incarnation of what began in Oakland in 2001 and moved through Minnesota and Toronto.

The only thing that's keeping me from punching a wall right now is my grandson is coming up from Texas today with my daughter in law.

Lip

It's even more infuriating because no first place team has even been swept by a 4th place team in the history of Major League Baseball. Utterly disgusting and completely unacceptable.

kufram
08-20-2012, 06:04 AM
News flash! This team is streaky. It is not comfortable but it should not surprise anyone. Add to that the injury problems of late. They've been bouncing back from bad losses all year. Time to do that again.

russ99
08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
News flash! This team is streaky. It is not comfortable but it should not surprise anyone. Add to that the injury problems of late. They've been bouncing back from bad losses all year. Time to do that again.

We have 6 more games with those clowns (3 home, 3 in KC) so we better figure out how to beat them, or that's another 6 games we have to get ahead of Detroit.

doublem23
08-20-2012, 08:55 AM
It's even more infuriating because no first place team has even been swept by a 4th place team in the history of Major League Baseball. Utterly disgusting and completely unacceptable.

We should probably just fold the franchise and demolish the stadium. I don't even know how I managed to wake up this morning and not kill myself.

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Anyone on this board could have pitched for the Royals today and won.

Brett Saberhagen was PLEADING to throw an inning from the bullpen.:angry::(:

This is the first time the Sox have lost 5 straight to the Royals since 1991,the year of the Saberhagen no hitter.And that series pretty much sealed up the old A.L. West for the Twinkies,IIRC.:(:

The Sox next 4 series include:

- 3 at home against the Yankmees
- 3 at home against the M's (odds are they WILL see King Felix)
- 4 in Baltimore :o:
- 3 in Tigger Town (we know how well they play there,right?!?!?) :angry:

These next 2 weeks will tell the story.Are the Sox PREtenders or CONtenders?? I don't think even THEY know right now.:(:

kufram
08-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Calling a team clowns when they've just swept a first place team that has thrown its best pitching at them is just silly. We got outplayed for 3 games by another major league team. It happens. Get over it. I think our team has proven that they can overcome setbacks like this.

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2012, 09:09 AM

This was why I believed they'd win at least 1 game in K.C.

Stupid me.:(:

SI1020
08-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Yes the team is streaky and inconsistent. Yes parity in baseball means debacles like the one this weekend don't just happen to the White Sox, they happen to every team sooner or later. It doesn't change the fact that getting swept in KC after a good showing in Toronto was both frustrating and infuriating. Sometimes you just need to vent. Hopefully they get their mojo back during this important home stand.

Jollyroger2
08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Yes the team is streaky and inconsistent. Yes parity in baseball means debacles like the one this weekend don't just happen to the White Sox, they happen to every team sooner or later. It doesn't change the fact that getting swept in KC after a good showing in Toronto was both frustrating and infuriating. Sometimes you just need to vent. Hopefully they get their mojo back during this important home stand.

They might happen to some teams, but this team does it alot. The same people saying it's just one series are conveniently blocking out the other miserable performances against the Royals. Also the home series losses to the Astros, Cubs, yada-yada. They get pushed around by a mediocre Boston team. It gets old, and there is a growing pile of lost opportunities where a legitimate playoff team would have many wins in most of those cases, and a more secure division lead.

Throw in their failures against the Tigers to date, and it's a recipe for mediocrity or missing the playoffs entirely. Now maybe some fans are happy with that. Some are happy to say well they still left KC in 1st place...but that's not me.

They have New York coming in, who has won six straight in the Cell I believe. Baltimore not long after, who is scrapping for a playoff spot and just took two of three in Detroit. The scary Royals will be back again soon.

This team has the talent to be dangerous but they just don't get up for some teams. It's going to be what ruins them.

Hitmen77
08-20-2012, 09:58 AM

They could be in the chase if they played the Sox more often.

SI1020
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
They might happen to some teams, but this team does it alot. The same people saying it's just one series are conveniently blocking out the other miserable performances against the Royals. Also the home series losses to the Astros, Cubs, yada-yada. They get pushed around by a mediocre Boston team. It gets old, and there is a growing pile of lost opportunities where a legitimate playoff team would have many wins in most of those cases, and a more secure division lead.

Throw in their failures against the Tigers to date, and it's a recipe for mediocrity or missing the playoffs entirely. Now maybe some fans are happy with that. Some are happy to say well they still left KC in 1st place...but that's not me.

They have New York coming in, who has won six straight in the Cell I believe. Baltimore not long after, who is scrapping for a playoff spot and just took two of three in Detroit. The scary Royals will be back again soon.

This team has the talent to be dangerous but they just don't get up for some teams. It's going to be what ruins them. I have no problem with anything you posted. Just trying to be a diplomat, people are getting blasted for being shall we say a bit unhappy over the sweep in KC. I say let them vent. We're almost all of us diehards here.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Jolly:

EXACTLY. Very well said. It's not like this **** started this weekend has it?

-------------------------------------------------

Games add up folks, playoff spots have been won or lost on the basis of one or two games.

All you have to do is look back to 2003, 2006 and 2010 at missed opportunities.

Lip

doublem23
08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I have no problem with anything you posted. Just trying to be a diplomat, people are getting blasted for being shall we say a bit unhappy over the sweep in KC. I say let them vent. We're almost all of us diehards here.

There's a difference between venting (man, what a ****ty weekend) and being a moron (I never thought the Sox could get swept by the Royals! DURR). What, have you never watched baseball before? Nobody has a problem with venting normal frustration, but when you take it to an absurd/idiotic level, people have a right to call you out on that. It's embarassing.

Jerko
08-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Not to make excuses but the Sox haven't exactly been trotting their "A" lineup out there recently either. After they lost Friday with Sale pitching, a sweep wasn't too far out of the question obviously.

amsteel
08-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Not to make excuses but the Sox haven't exactly been trotting their "A" lineup out there recently either. After they lost Friday with Sale pitching, a sweep wasn't too far out of the question obviously.

It sounds funny, but when 6 of your regular starters are 30 and over, they're gonna get hurt more and tire quicker than the young guys.

delben91
08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
I don't even know how I managed to wake up this morning and not kill myself.

I admire your fortitude. I shall try to emulate it.

Unfortunately I've spent the whole day periodically screaming "SWEPT BY THE ROYALS!?!?!?!" and punching holes in walls, so I don't think I'm succeeding so far...

JB98
08-20-2012, 12:13 PM

This team has the talent to be dangerous but they just don't get up for some teams. It's going to be what ruins them.

How do you know this?

This isn't football. You can't say, "C'mon guys! Let's go out there and beat some ass!" and then do it. Sometimes, getting "up" for teams actually works against you in baseball.

The Sox sure did a number of out of character things over the weekend.

delben91
08-20-2012, 12:21 PM
How do you know this?

This isn't football. You can't say, "C'mon guys! Let's go out there and beat some ass!" and then do it. Sometimes, getting "up" for teams actually works against you in baseball.

The Sox sure did a number of out of character things over the weekend.

As has been noted, the defense was really poor this weekend, first stretch of that I can remember all season. And the offense went into one of its (hopefully mini) slumbers.

I was down on their chances against KC going in, even after 3 of 4 against Toronto. Just something about the Royals this year and you have to think if the fans have noticed then the players certainly have.

Fully expect a much better showing starting tonight.

mahagga73
08-20-2012, 12:24 PM
MENDOZA: :tiphat:

CHEN: :whiteflag:

GUTHRIE: :anon:

Just too many aces for the Sox to handle. :angry:
Only the 60's 70's Orioles rival the awesomeness of that trio.Wait a minute, the Royals are about a zillion games below .500, it can't be. According to Hawk, every Royals pitcher the Sox face has some kind of supernatural stuff on that night . The kicker is that according to the standings the Royals are a piece of #$%, ar#$ team that everybody and their brother kicks the cr@# out of. At least the Twins were good when they owned the Sox .I am truly sorry and embarrassed for all you Sox fans who had to witness that in person down there, the Sox owe you something for that.

JB98
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
As has been noted, the defense was really poor this weekend, first stretch of that I can remember all season. And the offense went into one of its (hopefully mini) slumbers.

I was down on their chances against KC going in, even after 3 of 4 against Toronto. Just something about the Royals this year and you have to think if the fans have noticed then the players certainly have.

Fully expect a much better showing starting tonight.

I think they'll play better against the Yankees, too.

I'm just not buying the theory the Sox lost to the Royals because they were not "up" for the games. In fact, I think they were pressing because they know they should beat Kansas City, but they've struggled against them all year. It's weighing on their minds, and they are making decisions they normally don't make.

I saw guys swinging at absolutely horrible pitches yesterday. The Sox are generally an aggressive offense team, but they crossed the line from aggressive to stupid in Kansas City. They didn't have the patience to wait Guthrie out.

mahagga73
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
The Royals suck, it's only the Sox that make them look like a real big league team.

mahagga73
08-20-2012, 12:30 PM
No, a real title contending team doesn't get swept by pathetic pieces of garbage teams like the Royals.That's why even if they make the playoffs, I personally wouldn't expect much.

JB98
08-20-2012, 12:36 PM
No, a real title contending team doesn't get swept by pathetic pieces of garbage teams like the Royals.That's why even if they make the playoffs, I personally wouldn't expect much.

Kansas City swept Tampa Bay earlier this season. Shall I write off the Rays as well, even though they are leading the WC race?

SI1020
08-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm glad I have a good sense of humor. I'm catching it from both sides of the argument. I think I'll try to skip the diplomat thing in the future. :D:

mahagga73
08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Kansas City swept Tampa Bay earlier this season. Shall I write off the Rays as well, even though they are leading the WC race?
true. But really good teams don't make a habit out of losing to bad teams and beating good teams like the Sox. They beat all the teams.The Sox lost a series to home to the Astro's, possibly one of the worst teams ever, and the Cubs at home. Can't beat the horrible Royals. This kind of inconsistency is not the mark of a World Series team.

JB98
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
true. But really good teams don't make a habit out of losing to bad teams and beating good teams like the Sox. They beat all the teams.

The Sox don't have a habit of losing to bad teams. The only bad team that has given them trouble is Kansas City.

The Sox are a combined 28-12 against Minnesota, Cleveland, Toronto and Seattle.

I know everyone is rightfully frustrated over the losses in Kansas City, but the facts don't back up these grandiose gloom-and-doom conclusions some people are drawing around here.

JB98
08-20-2012, 01:02 PM
true. But really good teams don't make a habit out of losing to bad teams and beating good teams like the Sox. They beat all the teams.The Sox lost a series to home to the Astro's, possibly one of the worst teams ever, and the Cubs at home. Can't beat the horrible Royals. This kind of inconsistency is not the mark of a World Series team.

Cubs winning percentage against the Sox: .333
Cubs winning percentage overall: .392

The Cubs win sometimes, too. Not often, but sometimes. A 4-2 mark against them is OK. The Braves got their asses kicked by the Cubs. Atlanta is still a legit contender.

The Astros, who cares? A three-game series isn't a big enough sample size to draw any conclusion. Floyd and Humber were both at the height of their suckage in that series, and that's why the Sox lost. Humber isn't even in the rotation anymore. I wouldn't lose one ounce of sleep over that.

kittle42
08-20-2012, 01:07 PM
But really good teams don't make a habit out of losing to bad teams and beating good teams like the Sox.

That is a fallacy. Look at the numbers. Disproved in seconds. Been stated here many times in the past week or two. I assume you won't care and will continue to believe it.

They beat all the teams.

Nobody beats all the teams. Go find me a team that had a winning record against every team it faced in a season. Can't imagine there are more than a few in the history of baseball.

The Sox lost a series to home to the Astro's

Why the apostrophe?

delben91
08-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Why the apostrophe?

Aren't they owned by Astro from the Jetsons?

TDog
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM

The Royals also swept the Rangers in Texas earlier this season, but it was only a two-game series. That was just after the Rangers beat the White Sox two out of three in Chicago.

This isn't 1977 where there are top four teams in the 14-team league will have at least 97 wins in large part because the bottom four teams have at least 95 losses. Every team in the American League right now is playing over .400 baseball and even with the American League holding an edge in interleague play, no team in the American League is playing .600 baseball.

Only two teams in the American League are playing under .450 baseball right now. Against them, the White Sox are 17-7. The Tigers are 12-12.

This is a competitive year. Being swept in Kansas City was unpleasant for fans, but fans who find it an unacceptable weekend for a contending team haven't accepted the reality of Major League Baseball in 2012.

doublem23
08-20-2012, 01:32 PM
The Royals suck, it's only the Sox that make them look like a real big league team.

The Royals actually have a combined winning record against the other 4 teams would be in the AL playoffs if the season ended today (3-0 vs. TBR, 3-2 vs. TEX, 3-4 vs NYY, 4-5 vs BAL)

WisSoxFan
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
The Royals also swept the Rangers in Texas earlier this season, but it was only a two-game series. That was just after the Rangers beat the White Sox two out of three in Chicago.

The Rangers never beat the Sox two out of three in Chicago this year. The Sox swept them shortly before the AS Break. The two game sweep by the Royals over the Rangers was after the Rangers had beaten LAAAAAA two of three in Texas.

mahagga73
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
The Royals actually have a combined winning record against the other 4 teams would be in the AL playoffs if the season ended today (3-0 vs. TBR, 3-2 vs. TEX, 3-4 vs NYY, 4-5 vs BAL)
that's great, looking at their record tells me somebody is kicking their butts . Losing 3 in a row to three pitchers with horrendous records is inexcusable no matter how the apologists want to slice it.

TDog
08-20-2012, 02:32 PM
The Rangers never beat the Sox two out of three in Chicago this year. The Sox swept them shortly before the AS Break. The two game sweep by the Royals over the Rangers was after the Rangers had beaten LAAAAAA two of three in Texas.

The Royals beat the White Sox two of three while the Rangers were beating the Angels two of three. Then the Royals went to Texas and beat the Rangers twice in a two-game series (despite the Rangers having the best home record in the league) while the White Sox were splitting a two game series against the second-place Tigers (the Indians were in first).

I'm sorry if my antecedent was unclear and apologized if it muddied my point, which I stand behind.

WisSoxFan
08-20-2012, 02:34 PM
The Royals beat the White Sox two of three while the Rangers were beating the Angels two of three. Then the Royals went to Texas and beat the Rangers twice in a two-game series (despite the Rangers having the best home record in the league) while the White Sox were splitting a two game series against the second-place Tigers (the Indians were in first).

I'm sorry if my antecedent was unclear and apologized if it muddied my point, which I stand behind.

Sorry. I thought you were referring to the Sox playing the Rangers. My fault.

jdm2662
08-20-2012, 02:48 PM
So, after the Sox go 4-2 or 5-1 in this homestand, will they be the best team ever again???

doublem23
08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
that's great, looking at their record tells me somebody is kicking their butts . Losing 3 in a row to three pitchers with horrendous records is inexcusable no matter how the apologists want to slice it.

bla bla bla bla bla, whatever you call "apologising" I will happily refer to as level-headedness. A team's overall record tells you very little about how they are playing at any given moment, sure KC has a rough record but they've also won 12 of their last 18 games, a stretch which included series against Texas, Baltimore, and Oakland not to mention the Sox, all teams in the play-off hunt.

The Sox are going to lose games. They're going to lose games they should have won on paper and games they should have won on the field. That's just baseball.

DonnieDarko
08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
The Sox are going to lose games. They're going to lose games they should have won on paper and games they should have won on the field. That's just baseball.

This. That's why the losses at KC aren't (totally) driving me mad. They were frustrating for sure, but it's not the end of the season.

soxinem1
08-20-2012, 03:22 PM
They really beat themselves this series. This defense in the past ten days looked like 2006-2011 all over again, and the last three were just brutal.

JB98
08-20-2012, 07:10 PM

There's nothing wrong with indicating the Sox sucked over the weekend. They did. My problem is with people declaring the team a non-contender because of these three bad games.

There are 120 games worth of evidence that prove the Sox are a legitimate contender in the American League this year. It remains to be seen whether they can win the division and go to the playoffs, but they are squarely in the hunt and nothing that happened in Kansas City changed that.