PDA

View Full Version : Moises Sierra: Another Promising Outfielder?

RKMeibalane
08-19-2012, 09:55 AM
As is the case in all sports, baseball goes through phases. Right now, we're seeing the emergence of many young, talented outfielders, such as Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Jason Heyward, Giancarlo Stanton, Matt Kemp, and others.

The Toronto Blue Jays recently promoted a prospect named Moises Sierra, who seems poised to join the above group. He's hitting .333 entering Sunday's action, and did plenty of damage against the White Sox last week. What do the rest of you know about him, and what we can expect from him for the remainder of this season, and beyond?

SephClone89
08-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Sierra's not a highly touted prospect on the level of the others you mentioned. We'll see how he turns out.

Huisj
08-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I saw him a number of times when he was 19 and playing here at single-A Lansing. He wasn't too impressive then. Just a decent but not good Low-A outfielder with a cool name. He struck out a lot, and somehow hit for a lot less power than it looked like he should have.

For comparison, their age 19 seasons:

Sierra:
.246/.297/.364 at low A

Harper:
.243/.325/.365 at AAA
.251/.326/.420 in NL

Trout:
.326/.414/.544 at AAA
.220/.281/.390 in AL

What Trout did at AAA last year was just nuts. After a rough small sample, he's been even more nuts this year in the bigs.

Harper put up slightly better numbers in a short stint at AAA than Sierra put up in low-A, and he's been better than at in the NL.

Sierra might turn out to be an ok player, and he's definitely improved over the last few years as climbed through the minors one level at a time each year, but he's not in the same class of talent as Harper or Trout.

WLL1855
08-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Any relation to Ruben?

I see Ruben Sierra Jr. is playing for the Cornbelters down here in Normal (How's that for a tangent?)

Foulke You
08-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Before he got hurt, The Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie was well on his way to being mentioned in that Trout/Harper group.

DumpJerry
08-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Any relation to Ruben?
Nope. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sierrmo01.shtml)

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
He might turn out to be good... then of course he'll follow along with guys like Damon, Dye and Beltran and get the hell out as soon as he can by any means necessary.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-21-2012, 07:42 PM
He might to out to be good then of course he'll follow along with guys like Damon, Dye and Beltran and get the hell out as soon as he can by any means necessary.

Lip

Why would he do that? He doesn't play for the Royals. :cool:

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
RK:

You're right. I completely spaced it, although Toronto hasn't been anything to shake a stick at since the early 90's.

My bad.

Lip

DSpivack
08-21-2012, 10:30 PM
RK:

You're right. I completely spaced it, although Toronto hasn't been anything to shake a stick at since the early 90's.

My bad.

Lip

They've had more winning seasons than not in the last 15 or so years, but it's tough competing with the resources of Boston & New York, especially with the rise of Tampa in the last few years.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2012, 10:41 PM
In the last 15 seasons (your parameters) the Blue Jays have averaged 81.2 wins per season, and I don't think they've even made the post season in that time frame.

Lip

DSpivack
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
In the last 15 seasons (your parameters) the Blue Jays have averaged 81.2 wins per season, and I don't think they've even made the post season in that time frame.

Lip

That they have not, but that's hard to do with Boston and New York ahead of them. Sure, that's an excuse, but I am glad I am not a fan of the Toronto Blue Jays. I imagine that's quite a frustrating experience, as it's not like they're consistently terrible or anything, it's just that they're usually not quite good enough.

I wasn't meaning to disagree with you, just thinking that being a Blue Jays fan of late must be rather frustrating. That said, seeing the electric atmosphere of the 1993 playoffs helped spark me to become a White Sox fan, so I'll always have a bit of dislike for them, even if the days of Carter, Olerud, White, Alomar, Stottlemyre, Molitor, Guzman, Ward etc. are long gone. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
08-22-2012, 12:02 PM
At one time they had a hell of an organization Yankees / Red Sox be damned.

Don't know how they lost their way.

Lip

RKMeibalane
08-22-2012, 12:17 PM
At one time they had a hell of an organization Yankees / Red Sox be damned.

Don't know how they lost their way.

Lip

Pat Gillick leaving may have had something to do with it. Every organzation he worked for after leaving Toronto (Baltimore, Seattle, Philadelphia) became a playoff team during his tenure, and none of them have been the same since he left.